Shoulder Rig for Micro Cinema Camera

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Gregg Guzman

Shoulder Rig for Micro Cinema Camera

PostSun Aug 13, 2017 8:01 pm

I recently got a Micro Cinema camera and I'm interested in shooting some shorts.

Wile on a tripod the footage looks too stable and my handheld footage looks WAY too shaky, so I've been considering a shoulder rig.

Currently I'm using a metabones speedbooster for canon EF and a 24mm canon lens so I don't my footage is shaky because my lens is too zoomed in - however I wish I had a wider lens.

Anyway, do you all have suggestions for a shoulder mount rig? There are so many out there from $60 to $1200.

Ideally I'd be in the $60-$300 range, but don't want to pay to much for a rig that really won't add the look/quality I need.

I already have a smallrig cage for it and some handles which can be removed. So I need something that will work with my cage and something that will rest on my shoulder.

Also, do I need a system with counter weights? Or not so much? What about a focus wheel (not sure what it's called)?

I don't want to invest in this rig if my footage will be just as shaky as my handheld footage. I understand there will still be movement, but I want an improvement, not the same exact look I'm getting.

I also have a Glidecam, but after about 5 minutes my arms are killing me (I should workout more). Hence me wanting to get a shoulder rig which will distribute the weight onto my shoulder and allow me to shoot steadier longer.

Thanks ahead of time! I've also seen some rig posts for the BMMCC but rarely do people say what brand they're using or make recommendations based off of it so it's hard for me to determine what is right for me.

Denny Smith

Re: Shoulder Rig for Micro Cinema Camera

PostMon Aug 14, 2017 12:00 am

Lots if ideas have been sated in this, see viewtopic.php?f=2&t=45826&p=318217&hilit=Pocket+camera+rigs#p265613e

Basically, you will need an EVF and a bracket setup with a shoulder pad for the camera. Adding an external battery like a small V mount or Gold mount, to the back of the rig (behind the camera) will add the needed mass and counterbalance the camera/lens setup.

Your Canon 24mm on the Speed Booster gives you a 14mm line, so already a little in the wide side of the normal 17mm lens. A 10mm SLR Magic is a sweet mid price lens to consider.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Ryan Payne

PostMon Aug 14, 2017 3:40 pm

Haven't tried it yet but I'm thinking of going something on the cheapish side.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AU-FOTGA-DP5 ... Swv-NWYVIK

For the rails.

Throw on what ever quick release system you want or follow focus if you want it, add a cheap 15mm rail handle from smallrig (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SmallRig-15m ... Sw4~VZgr0y) or http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SmallRig-Mid ... SwC9VZgrsj

and chuck rest this on the back.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Kamerar-Shou ... Sw7aBVGiNf

and just use it on your chest for a more stable shot. I have no idea how comfortable it will be nor is it a shoulder rig but without the funds for a counter balance v-mount system or to get a decent EVF I'm thinking this might be okay and hopefully not too front heavy.

Denny Smith

PostMon Aug 14, 2017 4:15 pm

The Kamerar should pad looks interesting, if it's hinge is tight. The issue I have seen from cheaper solutions, ismtheirmquality is not very good parts loosen up and there is too much play between the camera and the shoulder mounting point. Investing in a good setup from Wooden Camera or Zacuto, even used ones, which gives a better bargain, is a much better investment, the gear will work as it,should, with quick and easy adjustments that lock in place.

I have na Edelkrine shoulder rig that is available, very nicely made and it is modular in construction. Also have a nice follow focus, light and accurate, available. Sent me a PM for details.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Stu Aitken

PostMon Aug 14, 2017 5:16 pm

I haven't built it yet but I've been trying to design a sort of micro specific version of an ergocine lion (with dual NPF970s for powering camera and monitor)

here's where I got to - made out of alu and something like walnut (was thinking maybe some sandwiched breadboards or similar) it should weigh around 2kg with dual batteries installed and hence nicely balance the camera with smallHD 502 + sidefinder and oly 12-40mm onboard upfront

I'm trying to make it reasonably easy to make so the tricky 'iron-mogery' is mostly off the shelf stuff, whereas the bespoke bits the main wooden body and the dual battery tray could be made with relatively straightforward DIY tools (3d printer, jigsaw, drillpress and non cnc router)

if the ergocine was inspired by the Aaton LTR this one is more of an Aaton a-minima :)

shoulder_rig_0065.JPG
shoulder_rig_0065.JPG (266.71 KiB) Viewed 2519 times

shoulder_rig_005.JPG
shoulder_rig_005.JPG (210.49 KiB) Viewed 2519 times

Stu Aitken

PostMon Aug 14, 2017 5:21 pm

the inspiration:

minima_with_rods_3qtr_front_copy.jpg
minima_with_rods_3qtr_front_copy.jpg (745.15 KiB) Viewed 2519 times

Joachim_Levy1.jpg
Joachim_Levy1.jpg (262.85 KiB) Viewed 2519 times

Bp9NuBlCQAAaeBt.jpg
Bp9NuBlCQAAaeBt.jpg (35.93 KiB) Viewed 2519 times

Denny Smith

PostTue Aug 15, 2017 8:48 pm

Nice idea. The Aaton is a nice compact camera, and the Micro will lend itself to a similar setup. However, I would replacemrhe hand grip balls with a short piston style grip like the Aaton used.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Stu Aitken

PostWed Aug 16, 2017 4:53 pm

Denny Smith wrote:Nice idea. The Aaton is a nice compact camera, and the Micro will lend itself to a similar setup. However, I would replacemrhe hand grip balls with a short piston style grip like the Aaton used.
Cheers

cheers

the grips are just for illustrative purposes (they are an eyeballed cad copy of the dual ball ergocine grips) - given its a standard 15mm LWS rod setup (and that bit is off the shelf anyway) you can mount anything you want there :)

Return to Cinematography