Your GPU Memory is full.

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Luke Holzmann

Your GPU Memory is full.

PostSat Jul 22, 2017 10:29 pm

"Try reducing the timeline resolution or the number of correctors."

I've got a 1080p timeline with about 2 hours of material in various stages of editing (a bit of color work here, some long clips awaiting editing there, a few title cards here and there, as well as photos and b-roll scattered about). Everything is fine for a bit, but then I drop in a new photo, or open a bin with a ton of material in it, or zoom in on a section with a lot of cuts and this message pops up. The photos no longer display in the viewer -- if something is shown it's often the wrong image -- and the whole thing gets a little laggy.

Restart Resolve and everything is good for another couple minutes.

I have tried changing the project settings to, say, 720p ... no help.

I've dropped all my already edited media bits into their own closed bin to try to help Resolve not try to serve them up as much.

I've run my AMD System Monitor and it shows my GPU topping 50% at most when these messages show up.

I've refreshed my Windows install, reinstalled Resolve, but that didn't help either.

[While typing this up, the system seems to have figured itself out for the moment, so I guess I could also wait a few minutes when this happens and let the system try to sort it out, too.]

I don't recall having this happen in 12.5. Anyone else seeing this as an issue in 14b.5?

Any other ideas?

Thanks so much!

~Luke
Studio 18.6.4 build 6 | Windows 10 Pro | Driver 551.23 Studio

WORK
1. 2080Ti; Ryzen 9 3900X; 32GB
2. 3080; Ryzen 9 5950X; 64GB
Blackmagic Cloud; Media NAS; M.2 Boot

HOME
1080Ti; Threadripper 1950X; 32GB
Media 7200; M.2 Boot

PeterMoretti

Re: Your GPU Memory is full.

PostSun Jul 23, 2017 5:26 pm

Maybe make a copy of your timeline and then cut the copy into smaller sections.

If you have one two hour timeline, that seems very long.
Resolve 14.3 Studio. GTX 970 with GeForce 390.77 driver. Desktop Video 10.9.10. Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0. Windows 10 Pro.

Cary Knoop

PostMon Jul 24, 2017 12:41 am

PeterMoretti wrote:If you have one two hour timeline, that seems very long.

Davinci Resolve is professional software I think it should be able to handle a two hour timeline.

Mark Sterne

PostMon Jul 24, 2017 1:59 am

I am not familiar with that GPU but if it really has 2GB VRAM on it as my search suggests, then I wouldn't be surprised if you are getting GPU Memory full messages, regardless of what the system monitor says. Especially if the stills you are dropping in are of high resolution. Do you have a GPU with more memory you can test with?

Luke Holzmann

PostWed Jul 26, 2017 3:05 am

Mark Sterne wrote:Do you have a GPU with more memory you can test with?

Not easily swappable, sadly. 14b.5 runs great on my wife's computer (i7 3.4ghz, 8 thread with GTX 1070). But it get's bogged down on mine (I have the 4GB version of the R7 370 card). My wife wouldn't allow me to take her graphics card [grin].

I uninstalled 14 and reinstalled 12.5. The current project file isn't backwards compatible, it seems, so I took and older copy and loaded it down with tons of images and footage, pushing the timeline out to 3-4 hours. While 12 is certainly slower, it never threw a GPU error.

I'm hoping this is a beta bug that will get resolved with the next release (I couldn't even get 14b.4 to run in my machine, so this version is progress!).

Thanks, Mark and everyone else. I appreciate your input.

~Luke

WORK

HOME
Media 7200; M.2 Boot

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Jul 26, 2017 6:49 pm

Try 14b6.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Luke Holzmann

PostFri Jul 28, 2017 11:13 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:Try 14b6.

So excited to see 14b6 out. Installed. Played with it for a bit.

Same error. The design is slightly different, but it's still happening.

Bummer because it was looking promising for the first 10 minutes. Now I can get it to throw the error within a few minutes by moving around my timeline.

I am using large photos. I have a 20 minute long clip in there (the start of an edit in a previous program brought over to this one; I'm now adding stuff in the middle and at the end of it).

Not sure what else would help here.

Thanks so much! I realize my card is old and only 4GB, and I'm still playing with the beta, so I'll try to patiently wait [grin].

~Luke

WORK

HOME
Media 7200; M.2 Boot

rick.lang

Your GPU Memory is full.

PostTue Aug 01, 2017 1:36 am

Take a look in the Resolve 14 Configuration Guide issued 2016-07-29. It would appear from my reading of it, Resolve 14 requires more resources than Resolve 12.5.

I know on Resolve 12, I was able to work fairly large projects with multiple timelines but Project Save started to take a very long time. So I started working with smaller Projects with only one or two timelines, and Save became fairly quick again.

My GPU is only 4GB, but in the new 14 Guide, BMD is only expecting realtime performance on an 8GB GPU with HD footage with the usual restrictions re nodes and temporal effects for example.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Andrew Lehman

PostWed Aug 02, 2017 6:29 am

Hello,

I am new to this forum but I have been working with DR for about a year now and I am very excited for future improvements.

I am running into the same problem as Luke, when I try exporting my projects(!) i get this 'Your GPU Memory is full.' error.

Usually I work with 1080p footage, edit it a bit, and also export it in 1080p, no problem or whatsoever. But since everyone wants their projects to be exported in 4k nowadays i have to upscale some projects. That is where it is getting a bit problematic. I can export the upscaled timelines one by one but whenever i attempt to export all of them at once over night, i get this GPU memory full error.
In version 14b5 I usually got a 1-2second visual loop over the full timeline, in version 14b6 i get dropped frames/stutter if there is happening too much in the scene. I also downloaded a programm called HardwareMonitor(?) to check out my GPU usage because this programm logs down minimum and maximum values. It turned out that my GPU maxed out at 95% usage as well as 80% memory usage which is nowhere near the maximum. I know this is very high and i should most likely invest into a better GPU but technically it should still work fine because its not at 100% and should work for another year or so. :ugeek:

Right now I am using a programm that 'manually' triggers a second timeline export after 6 hours so that i at least get twice as much out of a good night of sleep than the usual one ;)

System specs:
i7 4790
16GB RAM
GTX 960 2GB
W10 Pro 64bit

Michael Hebo

PostWed Aug 02, 2017 5:49 pm

I get it if I use very high resolution images in my timeline.
DaVinci Resolve 17, Pop!_OS 20.10 64-Bit, 32GB RAM, i7-8750H, GTX 1070 8GB, 2TB NVMe

Marc Poirier

PostThu Aug 10, 2017 5:56 pm

Getting this same error with a new NVIDIA GTX 1060 with 6GB ... running a Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3ghz (8 cores) with 16 gb of RAM..

so everything is running at less than 50% of its capacity and I'm getting this error..

And the footage I work with is standard 1080p coming straight out of BM URSA Mini 4K camera..

2 nodes max on each clips for CC

and max length of each timeline is 1 minute ...

Definitely an issue here :)

MP
Marc Poirier, Content Producer | Mach1 Studio
System info | AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16 core | 64 Gigs Ram | RTX 3090 24gigs VRam | M.2 1TB System Drive | M.2 2TB video/cache drive | 8 TB USB C External Video Drive

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Aug 10, 2017 7:49 pm

Can you provide logs and a project drp?
Dwaine Maggart

Marc Poirier

PostThu Aug 10, 2017 9:14 pm

I certainly can..

where can I find the log?

thx

MP
System info | AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16 core | 64 Gigs Ram | RTX 3090 24gigs VRam | M.2 1TB System Drive | M.2 2TB video/cache drive | 8 TB USB C External Video Drive

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Aug 10, 2017 9:18 pm

Dwaine Maggart

Oyvind Fiksdal

PostFri Aug 11, 2017 7:32 am

Same issue as many others. Mostly happens if I up the project to 4k from 1080p. In some cases, I need to do a clean restart and turn off all other obvious programs that can use resources in the background. This can help for a short time, but eventually give me the “gpu memory fail” message after some use. I tend to have much more than 2 nods, more like 6-7.. but it was not an issue with version 12. Seem to me that the program struggle to release some kind of cache/buffer memory.

Stats:
Davinci Resolve Studio 14b6 (with dongle)
Laptop
I7 6700k (stock, not overclocked)
Nvidia 1060 6gig (stock, not overclocked)
40 gig ram (stock, not overclocked)

Martin Schitter

PostSat Aug 12, 2017 12:48 pm

maybe an actual GPU memory use indicator somewhere in resolves GUI could be a really useful feature to avoid this troubles in a more reasonable/prescient way.

Marc Poirier

PostTue Aug 15, 2017 2:01 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=54509

I sent a link to the zipped file in a PM..

rick.lang

Your GPU Memory is full.

PostFri Aug 18, 2017 2:51 pm

One more possible culprit may be the use of stabilization.

I'm back on Resolve 12.5.6 on an iMac with 32GB RAM and 4GB GPU. So a lightweight machine, but it illustrates my lesson learned this week. My recent wedding video was nearly two hours after editing in Resolve. I had stabilized and coloured and applied Temporal Noise Reduction to every edited shot without issue and saved the project. Then I added some ResolveFX optical effects to the wedding ceremony, no problem. Then I clicked on a clip in the wedding reception and received "out of application memory." Had to force quit and couldn't reopen the project! Got as far as 99% loaded with Resolve using 72GB memory according to Activity Monitor.

I had to buy 64GB RAM or redo the video from the beginning. No harm in trying the rebuild which was successful. After each significant stage, I checked Resolve's memory use and it was always modest. Then I added ResolveFX and again all was modest and no memory pressure. The last item (since I suspected it was problematic) I began to add 'classic' stabilization.

Right away I noticed the impact on system memory... instead of doing all clips, I only applied stabilization where it was really needed. Never any memory pressure, but that demonstrated to me the stabilization is very memory resource hungry and so I'll be careful using it in the future when I know the video is over an hour... my usual videos are under an hour so not an issue.

Edit
Forgot to mention, when I called BMD Support they suggested I look at pages 121-124 in the Resolve 12.5.x manual. I decided to optimize all my footage from raw 2K to ProRes 444 before starting to rebuild the wedding project. That does help offload work from the GPU as I believe all the transcoding is done by the CPU currently. My 4-core iMac was humming along at about 700% CPU usage without any problem converting a lot of footage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Daniel Stern

PostSat Aug 19, 2017 6:37 pm

Oyvind Fiksdal wrote: Seem to me that the program struggle to release some kind of cache/buffer memory.

Perhaps memory leak!
MacBook 15"
NVIDIA GT 750M

CUDA 9.0.197
MacOS 10.12.6

Adam Spencer

PostSun Aug 20, 2017 11:48 am

Two things would cause a memory error for me on Premiere Pro:

- Images significantly larger than 1080p
- Buggy transition plugins

I am now in the habit of shrinking down images before I import them. I don't compromise the quality, I just make them slightly bigger than what I need.

I had a transition plugin set that had a massive memory leak. My project would crash with an "out of memory" error all the time when rendering. Luckily in that instance, I was able to narrow it down to that specific plugin and emailed the creators, and they fixed it.

Daniel Stern

PostSun Aug 20, 2017 2:32 pm

Adam Spencer wrote:Two things would cause a memory error for me on Premiere Pro:

I am now in the habit of shrinking down images before I import them. I don't compromise the quality, I just make them slightly bigger than what I need.

I had a transition plugin set that had a massive memory leak. My project would crash with an "out of memory" error all the time when rendering. Luckily in that instance, I was able to narrow it down to that specific plugin and emailed the creators, and they fixed it.

Sometimes I get also a GPU memory full error. Especially when using Neat Video. Then I have to restart Davinci Resolve and then it works. So perhaps there are still problems with memory leaks in DR.
MacBook 15"
NVIDIA GT 750M

CUDA 9.0.197
MacOS 10.12.6

Suhaib Siddiqi

PostSun Aug 20, 2017 10:20 pm

Daniel Stern wrote:
Adam Spencer wrote:Two things would cause a memory error for me on Premiere Pro:

Sometimes I get also a GPU memory full error. Especially when using Neat Video. Then I have to restart Davinci Resolve and then it works. So perhaps there are still problems with memory leaks in DR.

I also get the "GPU Memory is full" error sometimes. I believe this message could be misleading, depending on what you may be doing. I think DR 14B7 is a memory hog. It drains your system memory. I checked memory usage under various scenarios. I was surprised that DR 14B7 was using 1.5 GB RAM, with nothing on the timeline, and no media imported, i.e. checked Memory Usage in the Task Manager after starting DR 14 B7 with a blank project.

I reported memory usage in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=63187

With that excessive memory usage, DR 14 Bx is going to give a lot of problems with even small projects.

Daniel Stern

PostMon Aug 21, 2017 12:55 pm

Suhaib Siddiqi wrote:
I also get the "GPU Memory is full" error sometimes. I believe this message could be misleading, depending on what you may be doing. I think DR 14B7 is a memory hog. It drains your system memory. I checked memory usage under various scenarios. I was surprised that DR 14B7 was using 1.5 GB RAM, with nothing on the timeline, and no media imported, i.e. checked Memory Usage in the Task Manager after starting DR 14 B7 with a blank project.

I reported memory usage in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=63187

With that excessive memory usage, DR 14 Bx is going to give a lot of problems with even small projects.

That's true. I installed "IStat Menus" on my Mac and observed the Memory consumption. Sometimes I get the Graphics Memory Full message and it's on 50% in the GPU Monitor. So is it really the Graphics Memory Full or it is the pointer stack?
MacBook 15"
NVIDIA GT 750M

CUDA 9.0.197
MacOS 10.12.6

Daniel Stern

PostWed Aug 23, 2017 2:31 pm

I made more tests:

I applied 4 nodes with neat video denoiser ( test sake, I know, it makes no sense, but I wanted to push it to the limits of my computer ). After 1 minute, I got the memory full message, but on the IStat Menus GPU Monitor there wasn't even 80% of memory usage. So why is that? Then, when I remove the nodes the memory doesn't go back to normal, why?? Needs restart of DR. I'm aware it could also be a problem of NEAT Video 4.5.

By the way, with 3 nodes it works perfectly. But the same observation GPU Memory 80% and after removing the nodes Memory stays on 80% (Memory leak? )

MacBook Pro 15"
Nvidia GT 750M 2GB
Cuda 8.0.83
MacBook 15"
NVIDIA GT 750M

CUDA 9.0.197
MacOS 10.12.6

Suhaib Siddiqi

PostWed Aug 23, 2017 3:50 pm

Daniel Stern wrote:I made more tests:

I applied 4 nodes with neat video denoiser ( test sake, I know, it makes no sense, but I wanted to push it to the limits of my computer ). After 1 minute, I got the memory full message, but on the IStat Menus GPU Monitor there wasn't even 80% of memory usage. So why is that? Then, when I remove the nodes the memory doesn't go back to normal, why?? Needs restart of DR. I'm aware it could also be a problem of NEAT Video 4.5.

By the way, with 3 nodes it works perfectly. But the same observation GPU Memory 80% and after removing the nodes Memory stays on 80% (Memory leak? )

MacBook Pro 15"
Nvidia GT 750M 2GB
Cuda 8.0.83

The DR 14 betas are a memory hog, and perhaps there is a serious memory leak issue.

Marc Poirier

PostWed Aug 23, 2017 4:00 pm

It "might" be a graphic issue.. I was told that if you are using a "non-standard" size graphic file in your project, this could lead to this error... I am assuming that this is a glitch of the beta version and will be fixed..

The graphic file referred to as being a problem, was less than HD size.. so I can only imagine that a software that claims can do 4K, will address this problem :)

Marc.

Daniel Stern

PostThu Aug 24, 2017 1:11 pm

[quote="Marc Poirier" so I can only imagine that a software that claims can do 4K, will address this problem :)
Marc.[/quote]

Btw, I have the same behavior with Davinci 12.5. The memory stays on 80-90% and can only be recovered by a restart of DR. So I don't know why they didn't address it in 12.5? I hope this time they will.
MacBook 15"
NVIDIA GT 750M

CUDA 9.0.197
MacOS 10.12.6

Marc Poirier

PostThu Aug 24, 2017 1:16 pm

I hope so too... i still get some crashing once in a while for no apparent reason (no major action going on) But i was able to edit 26 short clips with this GPU Memory Full, by muting the CG track then turning it on just before exporting...

Not ideal in a pro world, but it worked

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elvis Sahakian

PostTue Nov 07, 2017 12:05 am

HW-Config.jpg
HW-Config.jpg (73.89 KiB) Viewed 190932 times
As of today I'm getting the same issues. I have a 56 logical core Xeon system with 160 GB of ram and 7 Nvidia 1080 ti's (that's 77 GB DDR5). I'm working on a 1080p project with prores files and while I have CUDA set in preferences I get the memory error message. Switched over to Auto and so far it seems to be working, so I guess it's using openCL. Is this a Nvidia or Blackmagic thing?

Sam Steti

PostFri Nov 10, 2017 3:39 pm

What ??? :o
No, come on, how could "auto" choose OpenCL when you have nvidia-centric cards only ?

I personally never paid much attention to this issue since I never experienced it, though this topic has been regularly appearing here for these last 3 years...

But I also recently saw an export stopping with this message "Your GPU Memory is full; tru reduce... etc etc" popping up. Only at the occasion of exporting this 1080 TL (6 to 8 video tracks full of ProRes 4444 composite though), which seemed to also refuse the performance mode.
The second time, I wasn't aside, and the export happened to even finish with the pop-up onscreen :P

As I never read this topics, could someone explain to me what are the 3-4 solutions that worked best up to now ? :)
*MacMini M1 16 Go - Ext nvme SSDs on TB3 - 14 To HD in 2 x 4 disks USB3 towers
*Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 3SSDs including RAID
*Resolve Studio everywhere, Fusion Studio too
*https://www.buymeacoffee.com/videorhin

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Nov 10, 2017 4:08 pm

Elvis Sahakian wrote:
HW-Config.jpg
As of today I'm getting the same issues. I have a 56 logical core Xeon system with 160 GB of ram and 7 Nvidia 1080 ti's (that's 77 GB DDR5). I'm working on a 1080p project with prores files and while I have CUDA set in preferences I get the memory error message. Switched over to Auto and so far it seems to be working, so I guess it's using openCL. Is this a Nvidia or Blackmagic thing?

Just FYI. GPU memory is not cumulative in Resolve.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

JPOwens

PostFri Nov 10, 2017 4:47 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:GPU memory is not cumulative in Resolve.

This assertion, I have to confess, has always been a bit of a mystery phrase to me.

I do understand that it is in response to the incorrect conclusion:
Elvis wrote:7 Nvidia 1080 ti's (that's 77 GB DDR5)
that the linear math suggests.

While 7 x 1080Ti's does represent a lot of zilla-flops, it does not present 77 GB of GPU Ram... its somehow threaded as seven 11-GB fields. Sort of more of a strip-mall than towering skyscraper, so each "shop" at the mall handles a bit of the load, but does it differently than a monolith would. My own mental model for how this functions is that the source media is segmented across the GPUs... what you are making is a wider segment available to high-density UHD files, not deeper. So you can still overload that 11GB capacity -- a little later than most, but the edge of that cliff is still closer than you think.

jPo, CSI

Jean Claude

PostFri Nov 10, 2017 6:50 pm

Elvis Sahakian wrote:
HW-Config.jpg

Hi,

Totally illogical: a project in 1080p with a single GPU with 11 GB VRAM should not be a problem.
Do you confirm that your system with all these GPUs are stable outside Davinci Resolve? (load test, stress tests, etc ...)
I admit I do not understand .. :oops:

Out of curiosity: which OS, which version?
"Saying it is good, but doing it is better! "
Win10-1809 | Resolve Studio V16.1 | Fusion Studio V16.1 | Decklink 4K Extreme 6G | RTX 2080Ti 431.86 NSD driver! |

Irakly Shanidze

PostFri Nov 10, 2017 9:35 pm

Elvis Sahakian wrote:
HW-Config.jpg

It really sounds like one of your 1080's has a memory issue of its own. Also, why aren't you using the card running your display? DaVinci 14 would love you to do that.
Leica SL/BM Video Assist 4K, Panasonic Lumix DC-S1
DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.6
Mac Studio M1 • 32GB RAM

Ernest Savage

PostThu Nov 16, 2017 7:54 pm

Hello,

I'm also getting GPU memory full

I have a suped up MacPro5,1:

1. Samsung chip on a PCIx4 slot. (read/write 1400mb/s)
2. Cubix expander with 2 x Titan Xs
3. SAS connected accusys raid (read/write 2300mb/s)

Would love for all this to work, much faster than my trashcan, and can't wait to try mocha, beauty, and all new features in Resolve 14.

I've tried every configuration so far with GPU, and I randomly get GPU full during the conform! So no nodes yet. Restarting seems to clear the GPU for a moment.

I've attached Resolve logs, and snapshots of my system. Any ideas? How do you tag someone like Dwaine?
Attachments
Resolve_GPU_config.png
Resolve GPU config last attempt
Resolve_GPU_config.png (131.94 KiB) Viewed 190459 times
GPU.png
GPU
GPU.png (185.76 KiB) Viewed 190459 times
DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20171116-113323.zip
Logs
(247.39 KiB) Downloaded 627 times
Windows 10, Latest DR, GB TRX40, AMD 3970X, 2xRTX Titan, 128 Gb RAM, PCIe 4.0 SSD (boot), PCIe 4.0 SSD Raid 0 (cache) 14Gb/s, BM 4K, Raid 5 3.3Gb/s (storage). Mac 2019, OWC raid 0 (cache) 6GB/s, AMD MPX Pro Vega II, 256 GB RAM, 1Gb/s storage.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Nov 17, 2017 5:40 pm

Do you have Video Field Processing enabled? There appears to be an issue with that on Windows with Resolve 14.1. On Windows, it causes GPU Memory Full errors. So I'd recommend not using that for now. We're looking into it.
Dwaine Maggart

Paul Ingvarsson

PostFri Nov 17, 2017 7:14 pm

Hi Dwaine,

We reported this to the Uk office today. Obviously you can't really not use field processing when doing spatial corrections (stabilise, resize etc). FYI we can deliver in an interlaced codec (so it enables field processing in a greyed out checkbox automatically) - however this still processes the output file without field processing as any spatial corrections have field tearing on them.

We're going to try outputting on Mac to see how that differs.

Thanks,

Paul
Paul Ingvarsson
StormHD
Strongbox DX-G (Dual e5-2690 v3 64GB)
RTX3090 | Decklink 4K Pro
Eizo CG3145
Resolve 17.3.1
Windows 10 Pro 19042.1202

Jason Bowdach

PostFri Nov 17, 2017 10:34 pm

Thanks for confirming the GPU out of RAm bug when Video processing enabled. I keep running into that issue so Im glad to hear you're working on it. I've actually noticed a significant increase in GPU out of RAM errors since the v14 update even with a 12GB titan X card and an 8GB 1080. Would that bug be related to me getting GPU out of ram issues in general?
Colorist \ Finishing Artist | www.JasonBowdach.com | www.PixelToolsPost.com

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Nov 17, 2017 11:01 pm

@Jason: Enabling Video Field Processing will quickly, if not immediately, cause a GPU mem error on Windows with 14.1. So if you have that enabled, you'll likely see the issue quickly.
Dwaine Maggart

Ernest Savage

PostSun Nov 19, 2017 5:23 pm

Hi Dwaine,

I posted about GPU memory error with the MacPro 5,1 about 4 posts up. Obviously not windows, but I’m also de-interlacing clips in Resolve. Does video field processing cause memory issues in Mac? If i’m delivering progressive, but source material with transforms is interlaced, do I need video field enabled? I posted the logs.

Thanks.
Windows 10, Latest DR, GB TRX40, AMD 3970X, 2xRTX Titan, 128 Gb RAM, PCIe 4.0 SSD (boot), PCIe 4.0 SSD Raid 0 (cache) 14Gb/s, BM 4K, Raid 5 3.3Gb/s (storage). Mac 2019, OWC raid 0 (cache) 6GB/s, AMD MPX Pro Vega II, 256 GB RAM, 1Gb/s storage.

Sam Steti

PostMon Nov 20, 2017 9:08 am

As a reminder, I can also tell you all that I saw the "GPU full" message for the first time on : v14 studio - mac - 2 x 980 ti - 32 Go.
Never looked deeper the video field processing state, for it's always on anyway (I mean I didn't know it could be connected so I didn't try to untick on the same project); therefore I suspect it may be the same cause on mac so far...

David Clarke

PostMon Nov 20, 2017 10:04 am

I am also getting this in a progressive project using de-interlacing on various clips with 14.1. The same project was ok in the same system in 14.01. Using Windows 10, an nVidia 1060 and the Studio versions.

I am guessing the de-interlacing and field processing option are in some way related.

Erik Wittbusch

PostMon Nov 20, 2017 11:24 am

Same here!

Frederic Berger

PostMon Nov 20, 2017 12:44 pm

I am getting the same error message as well. It used to work fine in 12.5 which I had to go back to now and abandon version 14.
I've monitored GPU memory usage to try and figure out how much graphics memory is really needed in order to avoid the error message, but it is impossible since the error comes up way before the graphics memory is fully utilized. I've redone all this testing with the video field processing flag OFF without success.
I would really appreciate it is BMD would:

1. Reprogram Resolve to have some flexibility regarding memory use. We've always had paging mechanisms for main CPU memory usage, we need a similar mechanism for graphics memory if BMD is going to use exclusively the GPU for timeline editing. Otherwise the processing engine in 12.5 should be used even if it is not as fast. At least the program can be used and does not stop working.

2. Publish more precise guidelines on the memory requirements than just "8 GB is recommended" given current prices on 8 GB NVidia graphics cards. It's not like we can buy a 4 GB card and upgrade the memory on it later if more is needed. We can't replace our graphics cards every time BMD updates the software.
DaVinci Resolve Studio
Core i7-4790k 4 Ghz
EVGA GTX 1060 SC 6 GB
BlackMagic Intensity Pro 4k
32 GB RAM

Jon Dobson

PostMon Nov 20, 2017 1:21 pm

I have this issue too on 14.1 windows when I turn on field rendering I immediately get that message - definite windows bug as I'm running a z840 with 3 1080tis and this in an HD project with no corrections applied.
No problem on my Mac pro running 14.1.

Sam Steti

PostMon Nov 20, 2017 3:50 pm

@jondobbo : I had it on my macpro when... delivering a 4:30 heavy clip (lots of tracks with alpha ProRes 4444 clips).
I don't know how it finally ended the second time, it looks like it exported in the background even though the pop up message was still on.
The other solution I found : make smart renders of clips in the same codec I decided to export to, then choose to use rendered clips at deliver time...
It definitely appears on mac too, but the relation with video field processing is indeed not obvious

Ernest Savage

PostMon Nov 20, 2017 4:38 pm

Dwaine?

Ernest Savage

PostMon Nov 20, 2017 5:34 pm

So if I just transcode everything to progressive first, and turn off field rendering GPU memory error will go away? Or is there other reasons for the error?

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Nov 20, 2017 6:41 pm

Can't say for sure such an error is related to Video Field Processing being on, as there are other things that can cause this error. But if it was working prior to 14.1, then it's probably the issue. Turn it off and see.
Dwaine Maggart

Ernest Savage

PostTue Nov 21, 2017 2:00 am

Unfortunately I’m in the middle of conforming with resizing. I was hoping BM had a known list of errors that might cause GPU memory errors, or my logs would help. Hate to conform an entire show to find out later it’s another issue besides fields. Back to 12.5. Thanks.
Next

Return to DaVinci Resolve