Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

fusion 9 super slow

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Rick van den Berg

fusion 9 super slow

PostTue Aug 22, 2017 1:38 pm

today i recieved my dongle for fusion 9 studio, super exited! immidiately installed it... but so far it's incredibly slow...
i remember fusion 8 worked fine (fusion 9 free version had this problem before too, so i reinstalled 8)
the application launches quite fast, but every click takes around 10/20 seconds to respond, in the meantime it just hangs. impossible to work with.

if i reinstall 8 again now, its reacting the same for some reason.

its not the first time blackmagic software responds like this. i got similar problems with resolve too. but since everyone seems to use it happily, i can imagine its my pc thats just not compatible in this setup.

but on the other hand i highly doubt that. its not a cheap system at all.
specs are: intel i7 6950x, 2x gtx1080, 64gb's ram, nvme ssd with 160 gb's free space.

other software like adobe/nuke/avid are working just fine.

sigh......

Sander de Regt

Re: fusion 9 super slow

PostTue Aug 22, 2017 1:45 pm

That's definitely not the way it's supposed to work. I installed it on a 9 year old core 2 duo laptop and it was faster than you describe, so some troubleshooting is in order. It should work fine on a system like yours.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Rick van den Berg

PostTue Aug 22, 2017 1:54 pm

yeah i figured it should work indeed.

the task manager shows 0/0.1 % cpu load, even in those ''hang'' moments. not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Edit: i now installed previous versions of fusion, also with the same problem

Sander de Regt

PostTue Aug 22, 2017 2:49 pm

Did you do a complete deinstall first? From your post I gather you went from Fusion 8 free to Fusion 9 free to a dongled Studio version?
You should try to delete the profile information from %appdata%/roaming/blackmagic design/Fusion/profiles/default/ and then restart the program. Old pref files have been known to interfere with newer Fusion files from time to time.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Rick van den Berg

PostTue Aug 22, 2017 3:03 pm

i thought i did, several times, also some ''hidden'' folders, but i missed that one in particular.. it seems to work fine now! thank you so much :)

Idar Klubbenes

PostWed Aug 23, 2017 8:35 pm

Had almost the same experience. Every 5 to 10 seconds everything froze for a few seconds , could not even move mouse pointer. Thought it was just a Windows 10 upgrade hiccup since it worked after a restart. But since others have the problem I may be some bug.
I'm using the free version for now, studio version when I see it works for my needs

Ilya Floussov

PostThu Aug 31, 2017 2:31 am

Been having the same problem.
I followed the advice above and the situation improved but only when dealing with local footage. If I load in some footage from a network location I get slow UI when dealing with that loader only. So far only using the free version 9.0 build 13. The previous version 7 worked fine. I have the local caching option disabled.

Simas Gineika

PostThu Mar 22, 2018 3:43 pm

Same here. Really really lagging impossible to use :(
macOS: 10.14.3 | Centos: 7.5

ben_mccarthy

PostFri Mar 23, 2018 1:23 pm

I've had issues with Fusion hanging for a moment about every 2 seconds when connected to a mapped network share drive through a VPN. Which makes it pretty unusable. If i disconnect the drive then it's fine even when still connected to the VPN, so it seems to be some kind of network issue that is slowing it down.

No idea if this has any relation to your problem, but it is weird behaviour as all other applications are fine in the same circumstance.

daniel.partzsch

PostSat Mar 24, 2018 1:28 pm

Had the same problem when I was opening comps from a server. In the end I reverted all prefs to the default and never loaded anything from a server again anymore. Since then it runs smoothly

Gesendet von meinem SM-G930F mit Tapatalk

Anselm

PostTue Dec 04, 2018 4:37 pm

Has this been resolved?
I run Windows10 with a 1080ti graca and i9-7980XE chip set, 64gig RAM. This should be blazing fast!
Just got my Fusion Studio 9 dongle and SD Card with the installer (9.0.2) today and it is unusable. Freezes with a (Not Responding) note every time you click on something practically. Also it would not load any of the OFX plugins I own which are essential to my Fusion workflow.

Please advice and resolve this ASAP, the software is unusabe as of now.
Attachments
Fusion9_Studio_Win10.jpg
(Not Respinding) is the name of the game...
Fusion9_Studio_Win10.jpg (113.3 KiB) Viewed 4068 times

Erkan Ozgur Yilmaz

PostFri Jan 04, 2019 1:36 am

It seems that the Fusion.prefs file is the cause. I'm trying to pin point which content in it causing it. But simply removing it or the complete %HOME%\AppData\Roaming\Blackmagic Design\Fusion\Profiles\Default\ folder is solving the problem for me.

Erkan Ozgur Yilmaz

PostMon Jan 07, 2019 7:25 pm

My second post has newer appeared in this thread so I'm writing it again.

I found that the RecentComps entry inside the Fusion.prefs file is the source of this hick-up. In my case when the RecentComps entry has some paths pointing to a Network Share Fusion gets slower ans slower with each new entry.

Opening Fusion.prefs file and removing the values from the list solves my problem without loosing all my other settings.

Now, my biggest surprise is that I was working with network shares all the time and this hick-up just recently started to appear.

Erkan Ozgur Yilmaz

PostFri Jan 25, 2019 11:19 am

Here are two little scripts that deletes the RecentComps preferences entry, one is written in Lua the other in Python:

Edit: It seems that I'm not allowed to post links, so I copy/paste the content

Lua:
Code: Select all
--
-- Removes recent comps entry from the Fusion user prefs
--

print("Erasing RecentComps value!")
fusion:SetPrefs("Global.RecentComps", {})
fusion:SavePrefs()

print("Done!")

Python:
# -*- coding: utf-8 -*-
#
# Removes recent comps entry from the Fusion user prefs
#

try:
    # for Fusion 6 and 7
    import PeyeonScript as bmf
except ImportError:
    # for Fusion 8+
    import BlackmagicFusion as bmf

if __name__ == '__main__':
    fusion = bmf.scriptapp("Fusion")
    print("Erasing RecentComps value!")
    fusion.SetPrefs('Global.RecentComps', {})
    fusion.SavePrefs()
    print("Done!")

Bryan Ray

PostFri Jan 25, 2019 7:56 pm

And here's a line that clears the history from your Loaders, which can also create slow-downs when adding footage, even if you don't have the general Fusion slow-down.

fusion:SetPrefs("Global.FileReq.History", {})
Bryan Ray
http://www.bryanray.name
http://www.sidefx.com

Return to Fusion