Is Remote Rendering a solution for me?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Carsten Sellberg

Is Remote Rendering a solution for me?

PostSun Sep 03, 2017 7:54 pm

Hi.

Is Remote Rendering a solution for me, or do I need to build two separate Windows desktop PC's.

I will like to use a Laptop for Resolve 14 in the evenings while away. But they are all so expensive.
I am wondering if Remote Rendering to my Desktop at home via a VPN connection, will lower the requerements on a Laptop?

What is your recommandation for the lowest cost Laptop to run Resolve 14 using UHD at 50 fps in a standalone configuration?

And the same questen, if I use Remote Rendering when possiable?

Can you find any saving on the cost of the Laptops hardware?

I have read about Remote Rendering in the current Resolve 14 August 2017 Beta manual page 1232-1234.

But how do Remote Rendering work. Does It Render everything on the Remote Desktop using it CPU and GPU's?
Or just a part of it. How much processing is left back on the laptop?

Will it be best to have the database on the laptop or desktop side?
What about the video files?

And how does hardware encode / decode work. Will it be done on the laptop or on the remote desktop?

Are there any special requerement.
As, do they both need to run either CUDA/OpenCL and can a Intel CPU run with a remote Ryzen Threadripper CPU?

For the moment I have a 120Mb/120Mb internet connection at home and will be able to order it faster.
But what Internet speed is recommended for Remote Rendering?
What speed is needed, on the laptop side?
And where do the speed have to be fastest, up or down?

Regards Carsten.
URSA Mini 4.6K

Marc Wielage

Re: Is Remote Rendering a solution for me?

PostMon Sep 04, 2017 12:07 am

I don't think the data throughput will be enough via a connection this distant, unless you can get a 1GB line.

You could use Remote Grading, and literally leave the exact same files and the exact same session up on a remote computer, then take control of that computer and run Resolve that way. But even that's slow and potentially tedious if the connection is flaky.

How are you going to monitor on the laptop? Until that problem's solved, I don't think this is workable.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Carsten Sellberg

PostMon Sep 04, 2017 6:08 pm

Hi.

I don't know how demanding Color Garding is compared to Rendering?
But to move anything away from a Laptop sound good to me, if I then can buy a laptop with lower spec.

You ask how to monitor on the laptop. I don't know if there is any kind of meassaging or sharing screens between Resolve computers on the same ( VPN ) network?
But else is there a HDMI output socket on the laptop. Can we use that for an external monitor?
Do any know of a PC program, that can send screens from a Desktop to a remote laptops HDMI output?

When you talk about taking control over the Desktop Computer and run Resolve that way. Is that via TeamViewer?
And will I still need a shared Database to use Remote Grading?

I think that I can solve the problem with flaky internet connections as I already have a ASUS RT-AC56U Router with Merlin Firmware at home. May be, I just need one more for the Laptop. It has a function called Dual WAN, where it make Fail Over to a connected 4G USB modem if the primary internet connection fails.
When the Internet connection is restored can it also make what it called Fail Back. Please se more in this link:

How to configure Dual WAN on AsusWRT routers:

https://leonid.shevtsov.me/post/how-to- ... t-routers/

Here is a link to the Merlin Firmware:

https://asuswrt.lostrealm.ca/about

And here is a link to 3G/4G USB Adapter Compatibility List:

https://www.asus.com/event/networks_3G4G_support/

Regards Carsten.
URSA Mini 4.6K

Andrew Kolakowski

PostMon Sep 04, 2017 6:34 pm

Marc Wielage wrote:I don't think the data throughput will be enough via a connection this distant, unless you can get a 1GB line.

You could use Remote Grading, and literally leave the exact same files and the exact same session up on a remote computer, then take control of that computer and run Resolve that way. But even that's slow and potentially tedious if the connection is flaky.

How are you going to monitor on the laptop? Until that problem's solved, I don't think this is workable.

Top London VFX house has all machines in London and just monitors and keyboards in their Paris office :)
All what you need is dedicated dark fibre link- 10Gbits+ :) You can even remotely grade 4K uncompressed this way.
I do simple editing from home on machine which is in data centre and this is on standard home internet.
Editing can be done cheaply, grading is way more tricky as you need much better quality preview.
If you have fairly decent 200Mbit+ line and working with HD then even grading can be done- all what you need at home is calibrated monitor and simple machine. If you have 1Gbit line then you can do it over lossless format for HD.
There is a nice open source tool which allows you to take BM card signal and send it over net at different quality. At your back you can pass it to 2nd BM card and to monitor (so you have robust pipe) or push data to display directly.

Other than this looks like Resolve's remote grading is at very early stage and quite limited.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostMon Sep 04, 2017 8:51 pm

Carsten Sellberg wrote:Hi.

Is Remote Rendering a solution for me, or do I need to build two separate Windows desktop PC's.

What is exactly your scenario?
Do you want to work from other locations on projects which are setup at home?
Does all your source data is always at home?

It's quite tricky because grading requires high quality preview. If you can live with GUI preview on your laptop (which can be fine for rough work) then you don't need to use any Resolve remote capabilities, but simply use remote desktop approach. There are apps for this, if not you can also use PCoIP Zero client boxes.

Glenn Venghaus

PostMon Sep 04, 2017 9:58 pm

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:There is a nice open source tool which allows you to take BM card signal and send it over net at different quality. At your back you can pass it to 2nd BM card and to monitor (so you have robust pipe) or push data to display .

Link please, sounds like something to play with on a rainy day
Beatstep & APC-40 Resolve Edition Controllers https://posttools.tachyon-consulting.com
Test Rig : 2xXeon (24c) | UNRAID KVM OSX VM's | 128GB | 5700XT | 40Gbe
Prod Rig : i9-7940X (14c) | OSX 10.15 | 64GB | 2xVega 56 | 40Gbe | Tb3 | V:Eizo | A:5.1RME

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Sep 05, 2017 12:15 am

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:
Marc Wielage wrote:
Other than this looks like Resolve's remote grading is at very early stage and quite limited.

Clearly you are not one of the hundreds that use Remote grading daily. It's been happily used for almost a decade now.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Andrew Kolakowski

PostTue Sep 05, 2017 9:50 am

No, but read manual and it only works with very specific scenarios where other solutions are way more flexible.
Also remote gradings which I was involved were more about sending high quality preview at no delay to 2nd side as you not often have luxury to have assets on both sides.
Don't know how Resolve can handle case when director seats in LA and assets are in London. This is more tricky. Sending 'commands' over net to 2nd Resolve instace is easy part here.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Sep 05, 2017 10:04 am

We first implemented this for one of the James Bond films with the colorist in LA and everyone else in London. I know there are facilities globally that use it daily with a 1Mbit internet connection, media both ends. Sure there are alternative ways but this works and some users have their business built around Resovle's Remote Grading.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Carsten Sellberg

PostTue Sep 05, 2017 10:33 am

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:What is exactly your scenario?

Hi.

I travel a lot and like to go to sunny places during the winter. Some time I don't come home in between.

I will use my URSA Mini 4.6K to take what I will call traveling videos mainly to be shown on a LG OLED TV in UHD at 50 fps.

And I will properly need two new computers. One for home and a smaller one for traveling. Some week ago I was recommended to look for a GTX 1080 Ti or a Titan X for Resolve. That is OK for a new Desktop PC for home, but not for Laptops. I find cheap Laptops with GTX 1060 6 GB, Some reasonably priced ones with GTX 1070 8 GB and some very expensive one with even better spec.

I am looking for a solution for a Laptop with maximum GTX 1070 with 8 GB. But I had read post on this forum, from people that are not happy with them. So I wonder if remote grading or remote rendering is a solution to offload some workload from a Laptop.

When I previews has been away did I found out, that the internet connection is much better at night. So I see no problem to upload a days shootings to my NAS at home during the night.
Or may be to begin a remote grading/rendering late night, as long it will be finish next morning.

What is my possiblities?

Regards Carsten.
Last edited by Carsten Sellberg on Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
URSA Mini 4.6K

Uli Plank

PostTue Sep 05, 2017 10:45 am

If you don't aim for heavy lifting, like temporal NR or such, I think you should be fine with laptop with the 1070 GPU. But you know that these beasts are heavy and eat batteries for breakfast, do you?
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Andrew Kolakowski

PostTue Sep 05, 2017 11:01 am

Carsten Sellberg wrote:
Andrew Kolakowski wrote:What is exactly your scenario?

Hi.

I travel a lot and like to go to sunny places during the winter. Some time I don't come home in between.

I will use my URSA Mini 4.6K to take what I will call traveling videos mainly to be shown on a LG OLED TV in UHD at 50 fps.

Regards Carsten.

In this case just make your main machine fast (with fast internet) and then get "standard" laptop with screen size as you need.
Upload footage back to home 1 night and then work on it later. At 100Mbits you can upload around 500GBytes over 12h.
It's up to you, neither solution is perfect. Laptop has to be really powerful for 4K (specially for 50p) or you need to generate proxy/optimised media (which also takes time). It could work, but it means you need a lot of disks space with you and keep copying managing assets. By sending data you also making it more safe (I assume) at your NAS. If you know that you will always get good internet I think I would go for remote work. Once you back then final tweak your grades on your LG.
If you would be doing just HD then you could go laptop route, but for 4K you will have to spend fortune on laptop which will be 5KG :)

With internet being faster over night- not up to e.g. 10pm. Later at nights yes, but evenings are congested.

Glenn Venghaus

PostTue Sep 05, 2017 11:44 am

Just keep in mind that when you talk upload, the internet upload speed is mostly just a fraction of the download speed. So your 100 can just as easily and more likely be just 10. So planning on uploading from a remote location without knowing what you get internet wise seems a recipe for disaster with even the simplest HD material. If you know you have a fat pipe, its different of course.

p.s. When i worked a lot with laptop, i just carried around 1 fat 5TB external drive to store all media, a small OWC 4x ssd drive TB raid for blazing I/O (depending size and requirements the raw media or optimised media and cache), and resolve(12) was flying on a 15 inch macbook pro.
Beatstep & APC-40 Resolve Edition Controllers https://posttools.tachyon-consulting.com
Test Rig : 2xXeon (24c) | UNRAID KVM OSX VM's | 128GB | 5700XT | 40Gbe
Prod Rig : i9-7940X (14c) | OSX 10.15 | 64GB | 2xVega 56 | 40Gbe | Tb3 | V:Eizo | A:5.1RME

Andrew Kolakowski

PostTue Sep 05, 2017 1:10 pm

Yep, very good point. Any domestic internet is hardly ever symmetrical and upload speed are most often fraction of download, e.g. 100/10Mbits. I would say 100Mbit upload is quite luxury.
It all depends. I can't even get fibre in central London (live just by Tower Bridge), yet at my Polish small home town I can have 600Mbit symmetric FTTH line for 20£ a month.

Carsten Sellberg

PostTue Sep 05, 2017 1:21 pm

Hi.

First thanks for all your answers. I allready started to look into them.

To Uli: Yes I know they eat batteries for breakfast, so I normally travel without a battery in my Laptop to save weight on my handluggage.

To Andrew: Can I use Teamviewer or do you have other suggestens?

To Glenn: Last time I got a 100mb/100mb with a Flat Rate.

Regards Carsten.
URSA Mini 4.6K

Andrew Kolakowski

PostTue Sep 05, 2017 1:42 pm

You can specially v12 (it offers decent quality), but AnyDesk is more responsive if you need to do e.g. editing (it's worse quality picture though).

Carsten Sellberg

PostTue Sep 05, 2017 2:25 pm

Andrew Kolakowski wrote: specially v12

Hi.

Do you have an download link?

And then I started to look into what kind I small PC I want for traveling and found this homepage for eGPU. That is an external enclosure for a normal GTX video card for a few laptops or one special NUC:

http://www.computershopper.com/feature/ ... oxes-egpus

But the GTX don't run at full speed.

PCIe v. 3.x can transfer 15.75 GB/s (×16)
But the Alienware eGPU box only uses 4 PCIe lanes.
And Thunderbolt v3 is only 40 Gbit/s.

But did any ever tried to run Resolve on one of them. And what was their experience?

Regards Carsten.
URSA Mini 4.6K

Andrew Kolakowski

PostTue Sep 05, 2017 3:16 pm

This is current TeamViewer version, no special link required.

TB3 data lane is not even 40Gbit as it's connected over PCI-E x4, so around 4GB/sec (probably somewhere at 3.7GB in real world).
How much this slows down Resolve is unknown, but for 4K 50p it may play a role. I don't think that having GPU card at x8 PCI-E (gen3) is a problem, but x4 it may start to be problematic.
Also- those small NUCs have not fast enough processors and those eGPU boxes are quite often limited to what machine you can connect them to.

Carsten Sellberg

PostTue Sep 05, 2017 4:37 pm

Hi.

I agree. But I just got an idea for a PC for traveling, I will like to hear your opinion on.

I like to have my PC in the hand luggage while I travel.

But I found a small ITX cabinet with space for a large dual slot GTX card:

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Sil ... ven_RVZ01/

My plan was to wait and see the new Intel CPU's.
But as I remember, is there ITX motherboards avaible for AMD Ryzens.

Can a GTX 1080 Ti and a Ryzen be a good solution for a PC for traveling?

Do any have suggestions for other ITX cabinets of similar sizes?
And what do you think about cooling of both a GTX 1080 Ti and a Ryzen CPU inside such small a ITX cabinet?

I don't know what size external monitor I will like. But do you have any suggestens, what to look for?

Regards Carsten.
URSA Mini 4.6K

Andrew Kolakowski

PostTue Sep 05, 2017 4:49 pm

I agree. But I just got an idea for a PC for traveling, I will like to hear your opinion on.

I like to have my PC in the hand luggage while I travel.

But I found a small ITX cabinet with space for a large dual slot GTX card:

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Sil ... ven_RVZ01/

My plan was to wait and see the new Intel CPU's.
But as I remember, is there ITX motherboards avaible for AMD Ryzens.

Can a GTX 1080 Ti and a Ryzen be a good solution for a PC for traveling?

Do any have suggestions for other ITX cabinets of similar sizes?
And what do you think about cooling of both a GTX 1080 Ti and a Ryzen CPU inside such small a ITX cabinet?

I don't know what size external display I will like. But do you have any suggestens, what to look for?

Regards Carsten.

Your idea is going out of practicality. When you start making boxes like this you may as well buy powerful laptop which has also screen in 1 piece.
I use to look into those and quickly realised that it's nice, but not for very CPU+GPU intensive tasks. When you start adding fast CPUs and GPUs it just won't cope with heat. You may as well travel with Mac PRO- small and powerful, but even this has heat issues.
You have also these now:
http://vr.msi.com/Backpacks/vrone
but it all has its limits.
Additional issue here is fact that Resolve is quite demanding, so overall you are really pushing hard.
Personally I would not use Resolve for start and then think further.
I've been already "reminded" few times that this is Resolve forum, so I should not talk about other solutions, so I won't this time :)

Andrew Kolakowski

PostTue Sep 05, 2017 9:02 pm

Are you going to shoot RAW?

Carsten Sellberg

PostWed Sep 06, 2017 9:19 am

Hi.

I don't know yet.

I expect the limiting factor quality wise will be the 4K TV I want to show my UHD 50 fps videos on.
Some time ago I found out, that the max datarate on a 2 year old Panasonic CXC725 was 110 Mb/sec when playing files from a USB 3.0 Stick. I am not sure what the limit are for other brands of TV's.

I have two CFast to sata cables and two Samsung 850 PRO to record on. I have done some test recordings and found out that I can record in RAW using just one cable and one SSD Disk. I didn't try RAW 1:3 or RAW 1:4 yet. I also did some test recordings in Prores.

But what will be your recommendations?

Regards Carsten.
URSA Mini 4.6K

Uli Plank

PostWed Sep 06, 2017 10:26 am

While 110 mbps for a distribution codec is not so bad, the limitation might be the stick, not the interface.
Try a SSD or even a hard disk on that TV.

Shooting RAW is not a bad idea, if your system has the throughput.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Andrew Kolakowski

PostWed Sep 06, 2017 10:45 am

In my primitive test ProRes is about as fast as DNG debayered at 1/4th resolution, so in your case format matters. My test can be misleading as it's done in laptop (also Mac), but from other threads looks like DNG is quite demanding (specially compressed one).
It's nice to shot RAW, but for you ProRes will probably work better if you want to work on your "small but powerful machine".
Seen yesterday a website where guy builds 2000$ machine which played 24p URSA 4.6K files. It was GTX 1070 with i7-6800K. Not sure how well would it deal with 50p files (and compressed) and after some grading.
https://tomantosfilms.com/12096/4k-raw- ... -computer/

Andrew Kolakowski

PostWed Sep 06, 2017 10:47 am

I don't know yet.

I expect the limiting factor quality wise will be the 4K TV I want to show my UHD 50 fps videos on.
Some time ago I found out, that the max datarate on a 2 year old Panasonic CXC725 was 110 Mb/sec when playing files from a USB 3.0 Stick. I am not sure what the limit are for other brands of TV's.

Regards Carsten.

TVs won't go much higher with h264/h265 bitrate- they are all around this figure. Maybe new ones can do 150Mbits, but you can also use h265 at 10bit which is good. 150mbit h265 should look very good though. Netflix 4K is 16mbit :)
You can always play it from your machine or though BM card.

Carsten Sellberg

PostWed Sep 06, 2017 11:31 am

Uli Plank wrote: Try a SSD or even a hard disk on that TV.

This Tv has to be moved. I will try to do it before.

Andrew Kolakowski wrote: Seen yesterday a website where guy builds 2000$ machine which played 24p URSA 4.6K files. It was GTX 1070 with i7-6800K. Not sure how well would it deal with 50p files (and compressed) and after some grading.
https://tomantosfilms.com/12096/4k-raw- ... -computer/

Hi.

Thanks for the link. Actully it was a Tom Antos video that gave me the idea to use Samsungs SSD's and not CFast Cards.

But I am not sure that I find his choises for his Video Editing Machine very ballaced?

For my desktop at home will a like to start to deceide on one GTX 1080 Ti. It was suggested on this forum, and nobody tell me not to use it.
But which one to choose. Any recommandations?

Regards Carsten.
URSA Mini 4.6K

Andrew Kolakowski

PostWed Sep 06, 2017 12:01 pm

Don't know, but as far as I understand his goal was performance/price ratio (or not to go above 2K$).
In some cases you spend 20% more money to gain 5% speed. Sometimes it's just waste of money.
If I woud to build machine which I can earn at leas some money on I would probably use i9-7900X.
For hobby use I can't afford it, so I would go lower and try to overclock- something 6 cores and then try to run at 4GHz+. Higher clock gives linear speed boots basically always.

Carsten Sellberg

PostWed Sep 06, 2017 12:44 pm

Hi.

I don't play games. So I will still like to choose one GTX 1080 Ti.

CPU is more problematic as there are two manufacor Intel and AMD to choose from.
And they both have a Main and a HEDT line to choose from.
I don't know why, but I am feeling that either a top main line or one of the lower HEDT cpu's will be what I am looking for?

But will it not be dependent on what codec I choose to use. I am new to Resolve but isn't decoding done in the CPU?
So a very compressed codec will requere a CPU with more Cores and Threads?

Do you have any recommandations for how many Cores and Threads to look for, to be used with one GTX 1080 Ti?

Regards Carsten.
URSA Mini 4.6K

Andrew Kolakowski

PostWed Sep 06, 2017 1:24 pm

It's not about gaming, but cost v performance. You also want "gaming" GTX as they have higher clocks for cores and memory, so this is good for Resolve.
If you have money GTX 1080 Ti is great, but it costs almost 2x more than 1070. Will Resolve be 2x faster with it? 99% sure not. Maybe 1.5x times. Ti is great, has 11GB VRAM compared to 8 in 1070. In the same time you can get 2x GTX1070 and this will most likely be faster than Ti (although I'm not that convinced that Resolve scales well with many GPUs). You are using PC, so you can replace, add new GPU. If this would be choice for iMac where you have to live with it than it's a bit different story.

Look at this thread:
http://liftgammagain.com/forum/index.ph ... 18/page-10

Anything which is compressed will be CPU decoded (encoded). Only things like DPX, uncompressed MOV etc. will use CPU just at tiny amount. From other end anything h264 based will be crazy CPU intensive. Resolve Studio can decode some of them (4:2:0 8bit) on GPU (assuming you have Nvidia), but overall these formats kill CPU.
ProRes, DNxHR, Cineform are in the middle- they still need quite good CPU, but way less than h264.
RAW will actually need both CPU+GPU- they need to be decoded (as quite often they are lightly compressed) on CPU and of course they will use GPU to do debayering.

CPU power in case of paring with GTX Ti will mainly depend on the source format (export needs?). You could use even 4 cores one if you work on DPX (although export would be slow), but if you work with RAW, ProRes etc you have to match CPU to Ti capabilities.
I would say you don't want to go below 6 cores at 3.5GHz for sure. Something like 8-10 cores at 3GHz+ would be good match I think. i9 are nice, but cost quite a lot. There is also AMD with new processors, but this is fairly new and not many real life tests/reports out there.
You want to look at X series:
http://ark.intel.com/products/series/12 ... Processors

always go for clock v cores, so 6 cores at 4GHz is better than 8 cores at 3GHz (even if overall computing power is about the same). The more cores the more this is going to be important in real life.
I would not go above i9 14 cores (instead I would make this one working at close to 4GHz clock). Also look how many PCI-E lanes does CU have. Ideally you want the one with 40+.
All depends on your budget :)

Carsten Sellberg

PostWed Sep 06, 2017 3:07 pm

Hi.

I think the recommandation for the GTX 1080 Ti was due to more Video Ram.

I got a dongle together with my URSA Mini 4.6K so I am using the Studio version of Resolve.
But I don't understand why MP4 decoding/encoding only is done in nVidea graphics cards. Intel CPU's have for than a year better decoding/encoding possibilities?

Thanks for the Intel link. But as I undestand it, is it only the i9 CPU's that have 44 PCI lanes.

I will proberly wait and see how the comming Intel Core i7 8700K 6-Core and 12 Thread Coffee Lake CPU will do.
When Intel introduced the first 8th Generations mobile CPU they say:
Quote 'that other members of the 8th Generation family (which contains Kaby Lake Refresh, Coffee Lake and Cannon Lake) are coming later this year. Desktop will come in the autumn'

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11738/int ... 15w-mobile

I expect it together with a new Z370 chipset. But there have also been rumors of a new Z390 chipset. I am wondering what extra feature this Z390 chipset can have?

Regards Carsten.
URSA Mini 4.6K

Andrew Kolakowski

PostWed Sep 06, 2017 3:20 pm

I think the recommandation for the GTX 1080 Ti was due to more Video Ram.

I got a dongle together with my URSA Mini 4.6K so I am using the Studio version of Resolve.
But I don't understand why MP4 decoding/encoding only is done in nVidea graphics cards. Intel CPU's have for than a year better decoding/encoding possibilities?

Thanks for the Intel link. But as I undestand it, is it only the i9 CPU's that have 44 PCI lanes.

I will proberly wait and see how the comming Intel Core i7 8700K 6-Core and 12 Thread Coffee Lake CPU will do.
When Intel introduced the first 8th Generations mobile CPU they say:
Quote 'that other members of the 8th Generation family (which contains Kaby Lake Refresh, Coffee Lake and Cannon Lake) are coming later this year. Desktop will come in the autumn'

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11738/int ... 15w-mobile

I expect it together with a new Z370 chipset. But there have also been rumors of a new Z390 chipset. I am wondering what extra feature this Z390 chipset can have?

Regards Carsten.

At the moment only Nvidia is supported for h264 decoding, but this is only for 4:2:0 8bit, so still limited.
Some older i7 also have 40 lanes- e.g. 6900, 6950X.

8th gen is coming, but so far no details about some extreme models. I think this won't come for some time.
There are some details, but those are just 6 cores max:
http://www.game-debate.com/news/23678/i ... tober-2017

without real push from AMD Intel keeps selling abut the same processors just with new name :)

Carsten Sellberg

PostWed Sep 06, 2017 5:32 pm

Andrew Kolakowski wrote: Some older i7 also have 40 lanes- e.g. 6900, 6950X.

Hi.

Both the i7 6900 and 6950X is from the old X99 line and uses the LGA2011-3 socket.
It is now replaced with the new X299 motherboards and uses the LGA 2066 socket.

All i9 Cpu's will come with 44 PCI lanes including i9-7980XE, i9-7960X, i9-7940X, i9-7920X and the i9-7900X
The i7-7820X and i7-7800X will come with 28 PCI lanes and the i7-7740X and i5-7640X with 16 PCI lanes.

So if a 6-Core and 12 Thread not will be enough will I may considder an AMD CPU instead.

Regards Carsten.
URSA Mini 4.6K

Andrew Kolakowski

PostWed Sep 06, 2017 5:49 pm

Your only option is Ryzen Threadripper which has 64 lanes, as Ryzen 7 series have only 24.

Carsten Sellberg

PostWed Sep 06, 2017 8:54 pm

Hi.

May be I will stay with Intel as I think this Rumors looks very promissing. But do you think 6 Core 12 Threads will be enough for UHD at 50 fps?

https://videocardz.com/newz/rumor-intel ... th-october

https://videocardz.com/72416/exclusive- ... therboards

https://videocardz.com/newz/first-look- ... ike-gaming

Regards Carsten.
URSA Mini 4.6K

Andrew Kolakowski

PostWed Sep 06, 2017 9:49 pm

It may not and this is the problem. If you go for GTX 1080 Ti system needs good CPU too. Not sure if 6 cores is enough, but this is only my guestimation :)

Carsten Sellberg

PostThu Sep 07, 2017 3:44 am

Hi.

Before I start to look into the Threadripper will I like to ask you about PCI lanes. Most motherboards uses what I will call native PCI lanes. And very few Motherboards uses multiplexed PCI lanes by using plex chips. On the above leaked pictures of Z370 based motherboards do I expext some of the top motherboards to have 2-3 x16 PCI sockets together with 2-3 M2 SSD sockets. My guess is that only can be done by using plex chips. How good is plexed PCI lanes?
Can they be counted as real PCI lanes?

Regards Carsten.

Added: by using plex chips
URSA Mini 4.6K

Carsten Sellberg

PostThu Sep 07, 2017 10:21 am

Hi.

I started to look into AMD Threadripper CPUs and X399 motherboards. The cheapest 1900X CPU only cost $549 has 8 Cores, 16 Threads and 64 PCI lanes. The most expensive one is the 1950X CPU with 16 Cores, 32 Threads and also 64 PCI lanes. It cost $999.

Here is two link with reviews:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd ... ,5167.html

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11697/the ... 20x-review

You can describe it as, more or less two Active Ryzen dies connected in one chip. How well do you think it arcitecture fit Resolve?

Here is a picture of the inside of Threadripper:

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/2 ... r-die-hood

Regards Carsten.
URSA Mini 4.6K

Andrew Kolakowski

PostThu Sep 07, 2017 10:50 am

All benchmarks show good performance/price. I think bigger question is abut whole ecosystem- motherboard, drivers etc. Not enough data from real life usage for this atm.

If I would need machine today I think I would still go for i9. If you can wait few months then you may be better of with AMD.

Return to DaVinci Resolve