SSD MODULE AVAILABILITY?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Denny Smith

Re: SSD MODULE AVAILABILITY?

PostSun Sep 17, 2017 6:43 pm

Tim said the SSD was firma backup,recorders riding, so yiumwould need to change the CFast/SD cards S they filled to keep recording, but you would not need to change the SSD until it reached max capacity. One less thing to do, one SSD for backups, is what I think he meant.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Earl R. Thurston

PostSun Sep 17, 2017 10:05 pm

Denny Smith wrote:...[you] would need to change the CFast/SD cards [as] they filled to keep recording, but you would not need to change the SSD until it reached max capacity

Ahh yes, okay, that makes sense then.
URSA Mini 4K, URSA Broadcast G2

Tim Schumann

Blackmagic Design

PostSun Sep 17, 2017 10:59 pm

There are some major factual errors in that video so we will have to take it down.

Will post some info to clarify shortly. Apologies for the confusion.

Denny Smith

PostMon Sep 18, 2017 1:48 am

Ah.... thanks Tim, will appreciate all the help with this we can get.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Chris Carter

PostMon Sep 18, 2017 2:43 am

Tim Schumann wrote:There are some major factual errors in that video so we will have to take it down.

I'm confused - if there are factual errors why run the video? The fact that the Um 4.6k is being ignored is beyond disappointing - especially when KNOWING that SSD is MUCH MORE COST EFFICIENT THAN CFAST cards. We all bought the lie knowing that fact while secretly hoping that there would be a SSD module released in the near future. NOW, only being released for the UMP basically makes me feel like the 5K I shelled out for the UM4.6k was a waste.... I like BM. I like that for the price you get a wonderful image. But c'mon guys...this is bush league.

Clayton Von Isaacs

PostMon Sep 18, 2017 6:54 am

Chris Carter wrote:
Tim Schumann wrote:There are some major factual errors in that video so we will have to take it down.

I'm confused - if there are factual errors why run the video? The fact that the Um 4.6k is being ignored is beyond disappointing - especially when KNOWING that SSD is MUCH MORE COST EFFICIENT THAN CFAST cards. We all bought the lie knowing that fact while secretly hoping that there would be a SSD module released in the near future. NOW, only being released for the UMP basically makes me feel like the 5K I shelled out for the UM4.6k was a waste.... I like BM. I like that for the price you get a wonderful image. But c'mon guys...this is bush league.

Technically they announced the SSD Module in the same video they announced the UMP in march of 2017 and they stated in the announcement video it will work for the UMP but they will try to see if they can get it to work with the Ursa Mini but no promises. They never promised or stated it would ever work with the Ursa Mini, only the Pro.
Clayton Von Isaacs
daydreamersproductions.com

Robert Niessner

PostMon Sep 18, 2017 8:34 am

Chris Carter wrote:

Chris, this video was not a marketing video made by BMD but by Slashcam.de - a German filmmaking forum. Seems like the BMD guy at IBC had wrong or old infos about the device. Those things can happen in a big company where the flow of information is not always as fast as one would like.
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

JasonFinnigan

PostMon Sep 18, 2017 12:06 pm

the Molded in BNC cables are going to be a weakness of this just like it is on the viewfinder unfortunately.

Michael Odhiambo

PostTue Sep 19, 2017 5:14 am

JasonFinnigan wrote:the Molded in BNC cables are going to be a weakness of this just like it is on the viewfinder unfortunately.

:? Snap. If one of the cable becomes faulty...yes.

BM, since its still an engineering mould, feature request. Can it be SDI connectors and leave a 12G loop through? Thats what your customers here REALLY want.

Tim Schumann

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Sep 19, 2017 6:52 am

That moulded cable on the Viewfinder is a replaceable part.
They can be ordered in by support if you damage them.

From what I understand the video is being reshot and will go back up on that Youtube page so you will have the correct information.

Denny Smith

PostTue Sep 19, 2017 3:44 pm

Thanks for the update Tim. One question that is not clear, can the UM record to the SSD recorder only, without media in the camera?
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Keith Babineaux

PostTue Sep 19, 2017 3:50 pm

Where is this link to the YouTube video? When will it be available? Can it record footage without using SD or CFast cards? This looks very promising!
Keith Babineaux | Film Graduate | Full Sail University

JasonFinnigan

PostTue Sep 19, 2017 5:36 pm

Tim Schumann wrote:That moulded cable on the Viewfinder is a replaceable part.
They can be ordered in by support if you damage them.

Sure but why mold them in vs putting ports on the devices? if it has ports you can replace the cable in the field with a standard one. Not so much with these..

I've sent mine in for repair but I plan on doing the Wooden Camera mod on it later on since I feel that is the way blackmagic should have done it themselves, not necessarily the mounting but the ports are much better.

Xtreemtec

PostTue Sep 19, 2017 6:40 pm

Michael Odhiambo wrote:BM, since its still an engineering mould, feature request. Can it be SDI connectors and leave a 12G loop through? Thats what your customers here REALLY want.

You might want to re-read the topic!! The camera is getting switched to Datamode instead of 12G sdi ;)
So the data running between is not Video anymore..

Blackmagic Tim wrote:No the SDI In and Out connect to the camera's rear SDI connectors as a data link to and from the camera.

This means you can record in 4.6K RAW or ProRes, not just ProRes and play back from the SSD.
It also means that you get full feedback from the SSD recorder about time remaining on it, formatting disks, dropped frames, so essentially it works like another media slot on your camera that you can choose from.
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

JasonFinnigan

PostTue Sep 19, 2017 6:56 pm

Xtreemtec wrote:
Michael Odhiambo wrote:BM, since its still an engineering mould, feature request. Can it be SDI connectors and leave a 12G loop through? Thats what your customers here REALLY want.

You might want to re-read the topic!! The camera is getting switched to Datamode instead of 12G sdi ;)
So the data running between is not Video anymore..

I suppose it could still have an Out, just not a "loop out" but that would add more circuitry and more costs I don't see BMD doing that. Most likely those using the SSD option will be more documentary/Run and gun type shooting and not need the SDI out.

Tim Schumann

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Sep 19, 2017 8:03 pm

Keith Babineaux wrote:When will it be available? Can it record footage without using SD or CFast cards? This looks very promising!

Availability in the original video was correct.
Yes you can record to it without an SD or Cfast card in the camera.

Keith Babineaux

PostTue Sep 19, 2017 8:52 pm

Tim Schumann wrote:
Keith Babineaux wrote:When will it be available? Can it record footage without using SD or CFast cards? This looks very promising!

Tim,

Thank you very much for that information. I never seen the original video. Can anyone tell me the availability date for the SSD recorder?

Clayton Von Isaacs

PostWed Sep 20, 2017 12:36 am

Tim Schumann wrote:

Cool. Yeah I figured as much. Thanks man.
Clayton Von Isaacs
daydreamersproductions.com

Earl R. Thurston

PostWed Sep 20, 2017 1:26 am

Tim Schumann wrote:Yes you can record to it without an SD or Cfast card in the camera.

That's better. It would have had much less appeal as a redundancy-only recorder.

DylanPenev

PostWed Sep 20, 2017 12:32 pm

Tim Schumann wrote:

Great that you can record to the SSD dock without any SD or CFast card inserted. But in the video by Slashcam, which has been taken down, you mentioned it can record "up to 4K30fps". Can you record more than that? What about slowmotion or even 4K60fps?

I mean in terms of speed SSDs are as fast as CFast 2.0 I presume?

Keith Babineaux

PostWed Sep 20, 2017 4:53 pm

Tim,

Is this true? I received an email from a Blackmagic Design tech saying that the SSD recorder is only for the URSA Mini 4.6K Pro and not the not original URSA Mini 4.6K. Can you please verify? Below is the email.

Hello Keith,

Thank you for contacting us. The SSD recorder is only compatible with the URSA Mini Pro, and I can not guarantee that it will work with any other camera. Also, since it uses the cFast card slots to connect to the camera, you will not be able to record to cFast cards and SSDs at the same time. However, you should be able to record to SSDs and SD cards simultaneously. Unfortunately, I do not have access to any information pertaining to future product release dates.

Denny Smith

PostWed Sep 20, 2017 5:17 pm

Keith, this not is a little suspect. From the previous video, we know the SSD can record with or without cards in the camera, and it is connected to the camera via the SDI in/out on the camera back, not via the CFast card slot. The remaining question is support for the UM46.

Tim, thanks for verifying the you can record to SSD with out other media in the Camera, great news, exactly what has been asked for. Now for Keith's the question about if it will work with the UM 4.6 or only the Pro?
Cheers
Last edited by Denny Smith on Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Keith Babineaux

PostWed Sep 20, 2017 7:28 pm

Denny Smith wrote:Keith, this not is a little suspect. From the previous video, we know the SSD can record a white CFast cards in the camera, and connected to the camera via the SDI in/out on the camera back?

Tim, thanks for verifying the you can record to SSD with out other media in the Camera, great news, exactly what has been asked for. Now for Keith's the question about if it will work with the UM 4.6 or only the Pro?
Cheers

Denny,

I wasn't worried about the SSD recording without the CFast cards because Tim addressed that issue in an earlier post. He didn't address if it was compatible with both URSA Mini 4.6K's. That's my main concern. I have an original URSA Mini 4.6K. I just posted the entire message from Blackmagic Design Technical support to show that I'm not making this up. I didn't provide any names though.

DylanPenev

PostWed Sep 20, 2017 7:31 pm

Keith Babineaux wrote:
Denny Smith wrote:Keith, this not is a little suspect. From the previous video, we know the SSD can record a white CFast cards in the camera, and connected to the camera via the SDI in/out on the camera back?

Cheers

Denny,

I wasn't worried about the SSD recording without the CFast cards because Tim addressed that issue in an earlier post. He didn't address if it was compatible with both URSA Mini 4.6K's. That's my main concern. I have an original URSA Mini 4.6K. I just posted the entire message from Blackmagic Design Technical support to show that I'm not making this up. I didn't provide any names though.

Hi Keith

In the deleted video Tim stated that the SSD dock will only be compatible with Pro. But who knows? Maybe they will get it to work on both cameras.

Keith Babineaux

PostWed Sep 20, 2017 7:44 pm

DylanPenev wrote:
Keith Babineaux wrote:

Cheers

Denny,

Hi Keith

In the deleted video Tim stated that the SSD dock will only be compatible with Pro. But who knows? Maybe they will get it to work on both cameras.

That was Tim Siddons at IBC 2017. Tim Schumann on the forum said that the deleted video had wrong information. He addressed 1 thing that was wrong in the video but I'm trying to clarify the compatibility because Grant said at NAB 2017 that it was for the URSA Mini 4.6K Pro and a firmware update in the future for the original URSA Mini 4.6K.

Chris Carter

PostWed Sep 20, 2017 8:10 pm

Yeah I agree - if they only make it so the UMP can accept the SSD dock and NOT the almost IDENTICAL UM 4.6k...that would be a really shady move from BM...

JasonFinnigan

PostWed Sep 20, 2017 8:22 pm

Chris Carter wrote:Yeah I agree - if they only make it so the UMP can accept the SSD dock and NOT the almost IDENTICAL UM 4.6k...that would be a really shady move from BM...

Not really it's a newer camera so you can expect them to support it more. Also there may be slightly different ASICs in the URSA Mini Pro that enables this that we don't know about, especially since this is using a data link over SDI and not video.

Chris Carter

PostWed Sep 20, 2017 9:14 pm

JasonFinnigan wrote:
Chris Carter wrote:Yeah I agree - if they only make it so the UMP can accept the SSD dock and NOT the almost IDENTICAL UM 4.6k...that would be a really shady move from BM...

Not really it's a newer camera so you can expect them to support it more. Also there may be slightly different ASICs in the URSA Mini Pro that enables this that we don't know about, especially since this is using a data link over SDI and not video.

It's newer by less than a year if I recall. So while yes it it newer, to say that the UM 4.6 is OLD and should not be supported is ridiculous. I know you and BM are not saying this, however, to not make the SSD dock usable by nearly an identical cameras from the same company created less than two years in between is, again, shady. IF it does in fact go that route. I for one, along with a slew of other UM owners, will be watching this closely.

Keith Babineaux

PostWed Sep 20, 2017 10:45 pm

Chris Carter wrote:
JasonFinnigan wrote:

It's newer by less than a year if I recall. So while yes it it newer, to say that the UM 4.6 is OLD and should not be supported is ridiculous. I know you and BM are not saying this, however, to not make the SSD dock usable by nearly an identical cameras from the same company created less than two years in between is, again, shady. IF it does in fact go that route. I for one, along with a slew of other UM owners, will be watching this closely.

I totally agree with you. That's why I'm asking BM questions. I have a SSD enclosure with a CFast adapter and I'm able to record 3:1 and 4:1 4.6K raw with no dropped frames and it cost less than $100. It says both URSA Mini's and URSA Mini Pro at IBC 2017.
Attachments
ssd_recorder.jpg
ssd_recorder.jpg (85.75 KiB) Viewed 16901 times

Earl R. Thurston

PostWed Sep 20, 2017 10:58 pm

I agree with the possibility that the SSD Module may ultimately only work with the UMPro. Re-purposing the SDI connections as data links require specific electronics and/or processing that the UM46K and UM4K may lack. It's a clever concept, and noble of them to at least attempt making it work for the earlier cameras.

That said, I find it strange that they went this route at all. Since the SSD Module and UMPro were announced around the same time, both were likely in co-development. So, rather than trying to re-purpose the SDI connections, why not just add a recessed SATA or ESATA connector to the back plate next to the battery connection? The Atoch and DIY breakout modules demonstrate how easy it is to send the same SATA data meant for the CFast cards to an SSD instead. Such a module would not have required much (if any) firmware updates. Just some mechanism, physical or electrical, to swap a SATA interface from one of the CFast cards to the back connector.

Earl R. Thurston

PostWed Sep 20, 2017 11:15 pm

Keith Babineaux wrote:It says both URSA Mini's and URSA Mini Pro at IBC 2017.

It certainly does.

It's evident throughout this thread that BMD continues to have communication problems.

Denny Smith

PostWed Sep 20, 2017 11:26 pm

Keith, I know recording with and/or without cards in the camera has been addressed. I was questioning the response you received BM tech., that indicated the SSD Dock connected like your existing recorder, via the CFast card slots.

The remaining question is compatibility with UM46 or UM 4K?
Cheers.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

JasonFinnigan

PostThu Sep 21, 2017 12:47 am

Denny Smith wrote:The remaining question is compatibility with UM46 or UM 4K?

The trade show booth showed it would. However, I still reject the idea that BMD has to release it for the older models just because.

Denny Smith

PostThu Sep 21, 2017 1:57 am

Yes, and that makes sense. But there seems to be some doubt it will upon initial release. Hence, the question :roll:
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Paul Kapp

PostThu Sep 21, 2017 4:39 am

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Last edited by Paul Kapp on Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Robert Niessner

PostThu Sep 21, 2017 8:45 am

Paul, I am sure Earl meant internal communication problems.
I mean it is evident that at BMD there seems to be the flow of information a bit broken.

On the one hand we have the guy at IBC giving wrong information in a video, we have different information on a printed info sign and here on the forum Tim told us several days ago that the infos given in the video are wrong, but hasn't been able to give any corrected infos here since then.
Shouldn't they know at this point what their soon to be released device is capable of?
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria

Tim Schumann

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Sep 21, 2017 1:06 pm

It looks like they did not have time to reshoot in the interview but if you look through my posts earlier in the thread most of the questions have already been answered.
Tim Schumann wrote:We will be showing it at IBC and shipping shortly after.
It should be in stores within the next few weeks.
Tim Schumann wrote:No the SDI In and Out connect to the camera's rear SDI connectors as a data link to and from the camera.

This means you can record in 4.6K RAW or ProRes, not just ProRes and play back from the SSD.
It also means that you get full feedback from the SSD recorder about time remaining on it, formatting disks, dropped frames, so essentially it works like another media slot on your camera that you can choose from.
The URSA Mini SSD Recorder is not designed as a mirror recorder or a proxy recorder. If you want to dual record you can plug in a Video Assist and trigger record an Ultra HD or HD video signal onto SD cards over SDI.

We are hoping to add support for it in the Mini in a firmware update but at launch, as mentioned by Grant in the press conference earlier in the year, it will be supported initially on the URSA Mini Pro.

DylanPenev

PostThu Sep 21, 2017 3:50 pm

Tim Schumann wrote:It looks like they did not have time to reshoot in the interview but if you look through my posts earlier in the thread most of the questions have already been answered.
Tim Schumann wrote:We will be showing it at IBC and shipping shortly after.
It should be in stores within the next few weeks.
Tim Schumann wrote:No the SDI In and Out connect to the camera's rear SDI connectors as a data link to and from the camera.

The URSA Mini SSD Recorder is not designed as a mirror recorder or a proxy recorder. If you want to dual record you can plug in a Video Assist and trigger record an Ultra HD or HD video signal onto SD cards over SDI.

We are hoping to add support for it in the Mini in a firmware update but at launch, as mentioned by Grant in the press conference earlier in the year, it will be supported initially on the URSA Mini Pro.

Hey Tim, great to hear that...
a) the SSD dock will be releases shortly
b) the SSD dock will be a viable, third recording option next to SD and CFast.

But what Frame rates will it record at? More than 4K30fps I hope? Can you elaborate on that?

Earl R. Thurston

PostThu Sep 21, 2017 7:39 pm

Robert Niessner wrote:Paul, I am sure Earl meant internal communication problems.

Yes, that specifically. Various sources from BMD have said contradictory things about this module. It would be better to get everyone on the same page before saying anything at all.

Gene Kochanowsky

PostThu Sep 21, 2017 7:53 pm

Earl R. Thurston wrote:
Robert Niessner wrote:Paul, I am sure Earl meant internal communication problems.

Yes, that specifically. Various sources from BMD have said contradictory things about this module. It would be better to get everyone on the same page before saying anything at all.

Or even better, wait till the product is shipping before announcing it. Vapor products are fun and all, but if I can't buy it, I really don't care what it does.

Taylor Cahill

PostThu Sep 21, 2017 11:43 pm

If anyone needs a USB power to SATA Power Adapter I have more than a few for $10 shipped promptly via first class.

IMG_20170921_164040.jpg
IMG_20170921_164040.jpg (385.1 KiB) Viewed 16705 times

Tim Schumann

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Sep 21, 2017 11:53 pm

DylanPenev wrote:Hey Tim, great to hear that...
a) the SSD dock will be releases shortly
b) the SSD dock will be a viable, third recording option next to SD and CFast.

But what Frame rates will it record at? More than 4K30fps I hope? Can you elaborate on that?
Depending on the speed of the SSD you use that will vary. Some of the faster SSD's we have tested will be able to sustain well above 40fps in 4.6K Lossless RAW. Burst speeds obviously will go higher for short periods but 60 is still your max on the Mini and Mini Pro with full sensor.

It's important to note that many CFast cards can also do higher than 4K 30p. Some of the faster 256GB CFast cards on the market can sustain well above 40 frames in 4.6K Lossless RAW as well.

The advantage with SSD media is the capacity and the price per GB.
You can get a 4TB SSD for under $1,600 so that is the big appeal.
Longer record times and price per GB.

Denny Smith

PostSun Sep 24, 2017 4:54 am

Great, thanks for clearing up the loose bits about the SSD Recorder.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

rick.lang

SSD MODULE AVAILABILITY?

PostMon Sep 25, 2017 12:23 am

Can’t come soon enough. When I’m processing an hour of uncompressed raw 4.6K 2.4:1 footage,Resolve behaves beautifully using almost every cycle of the CPU to generate by optimized media in ProRes 444 2K DCI Scope 2048x858.

Today I had to shoot in compressed raw to manage storage on my 2x256GB Wise 3400x cards. Recording great but generally the optimized media is a nightmare on my late 2015 iMac.

After only a few seconds of pushing the CPU, the system does that temporary shutdown and resume. So the whole thing is taking about 3x longer that it should.

If I had a 1 TB SSD mounted I would have been able to shoot everything in uncompressed raw and the optimized media would be humming along without an issue. And be happy processing it in Resolve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Robert Niessner

PostMon Sep 25, 2017 11:43 am

Slashcam's updated IBC2017 video is now online again:
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria

Klaas Kielmann

PostMon Sep 25, 2017 3:50 pm

Robert Niessner wrote:Slashcam's updated IBC2017 video is now online again:

Well, i think this would be the perfect time for anybody who has solid information to make clear if the ssd recorder will work with any non "pro" URSA mini.

rick.lang

PostMon Sep 25, 2017 6:59 pm

Tim Siddons said “It’s just going to be for the URSA Pro.” Not sure why that is the limitation though as it hangs off the battery plate and the battery hangs off the SSD module. Maybe the limitation is software related in terms of what is supported to be written to the 12G SDI Out and read by the SDI in. I hope BMD offers an explanation to us as many URSA Mini owners would happily add the SSD Module if it’s an available option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Tim Schumann

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Sep 25, 2017 8:14 pm

Klaas Kielmann wrote:
Robert Niessner wrote:Slashcam's updated IBC2017 video is now online again:

Well, i think this would be the perfect time for anybody who has solid information to make clear if the ssd recorder will work with any non "pro" URSA mini.
As mentioned earlier in the thread...
Tim Schumann wrote:We are hoping to add support for it in the Mini in a firmware update but at launch, as mentioned by Grant in the press conference earlier in the year, it will be supported initially on the URSA Mini Pro.
It is not a simple task adding it for the other Minis as it requires significant firmware changes to get the data link up on the SDI connectors and a lot of testing time but we are certainly hoping to add it in a future firmware update for them.

This recorder is rock solid and is a really nice integrated solution.

We are working hard to get it shipping as soon as possible and hope to add support for it in the other Minis as soon as we can.

rick.lang

SSD MODULE AVAILABILITY?

PostTue Sep 26, 2017 4:37 am

Thanks, Tim Schumann. I’m considering adding a Timecode Systems’ UltraSync One Timecode generator and it can use the 12G SDI In with LTC on the URSA Mini or one of the XLR 3-pin connectors on the URSA Mini. I’m assuming adding the SSD Module means I won’t have a 12G SDI In option for LTC. The UltraSync One will also provide the clock for a Sound Devices MixPre-6 for syncing the external recording to the camera’s video.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

michaeldhead

Re: Ursa SSD Dock?

PostTue Oct 03, 2017 3:21 pm

Bump - I looked for info about the SSD Dock but I couldn't find anything - has there been any news announced that I missed? Thank you!
Michael D Head
www.michaeldhead.com
producer/writer/director/DP
PreviousNext

Return to Cinematography