Advice on my first full camera rig (BMMCC)?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

benji_trosch

Advice on my first full camera rig (BMMCC)?

PostSun Oct 08, 2017 7:58 pm

As an amateur student filmmaker who has shot on used or rented cameras, I want to finally assemble my own camera rig. My focus is on narrative short films.

I found this guy's videos on Vimeo, all shot with the BMMCC, and I was blown away. Stunning stuff:

Here's what I'm thinking:
    Blackmagic Micro Cinema Camera - $995

Feelworld FW759 7" HDMI Monitor - $139

Nikkor AF-S 24-70mm - already owned ($1,798)

Maybe a not-full-frame lens instead, like the Sigma 18-35mm Art Lens - $800

Smallright cage + handle - $169

Smallrig 15mm Rail Support System - $97

Smallrig 7 inch Articulating Arm (for the HDMI) - $13

Smallrig 15mm's -$14

Smallrig Handle Grip - $77

Smallrig Shoulder Mount - $44
What do you think? Is this a good start for a rig? Is there anything I'm missing/overlooking?
I'd like to keep this under $1200, but that's really not looking likely. As it stands I'm at ~$1500. But hey, it would've cost literally twice as much for just that lens. The BM Video Assist would be great, but that alone + the camera without the rest of the rig puts me at the same total.

Denny Smith

Re: Advice on my first full camera rig (BMMCC)?

PostWed Oct 11, 2017 4:24 am

I would drop th Freewoeld 7-inch Monitor and get the new SmallHD Focus Monitor, a better fit for the Micro Cinema Camera, and higher resolution, with LUT Support, slopes and waveform Monitor support available.

I also think the Wooden Camera Micro cage is also a better unit than the Smallrig cage, again a little smaller and better fit.

You are also going to need an adapter for the Nikon lens, and the Metabones BMPCC Nik Speed Booster is what you want to get. This will give you more of the angle of view of,the larger Nikon or Sigma lens coverage. Remember, 17mm on the Micro is going to be your “normal” field of view focal length on the Micro Camera’s S16 sensor. The 0.58 focal expand factor will, give your 24-70 Nikon Zoom a 14-40mm AOV coverage, a more useable range, than the long 24-70would be, and you get almost two extra sops of light to the sensor.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Dmytro Shijan

PostWed Oct 11, 2017 5:17 am

Check this kit:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=56186#p339406
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=55124
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=65011

I also can suggest to get Mosaic OLPF and ColorChecker if you plane to shoot RAW.

7" monitor is really huge for this camera. LUT support is critical! SmallHD Focus Monitor is very limited in many tech aspects and ergonomics. It is better to invest in second hand SmallHD 501.

And opposed to Denny Smith i don't think Wooden Camera Micro cage is best way to go today. It was just designed too early. It is too weak, too small and too limited compare to more current SmallRig cage which was designed later in collaboration with many BMMCC camera users worldwide.

Also footage processing and workflow methods highly affect a quality of final footage. It it not run and render to youtube in one click camera :)

BMMCC/BMMSC Rigs Collection https://bmmccrigs.tumblr.com
My custom made accessories for BMMCC/BMMSC https://lavky.com/radioproektor/

Anatoly Mashanov

PostWed Oct 11, 2017 6:49 am

There is a common problem for BMPCC and correspondingly BMMCC: The short focus lenses for them are in quite a short supply. Normal lens for them is 16 mm and you will quite often need something even shorter but not fish-eye. So I'd look for something with a bigger sensor.

I'd prefer some viewfinder that is small enough and brought forward so that the camera rests on shoulder, not in hands, as Ursa Mini viewfinder does. I'd also look for some camera that had SDI, not HDMI, just for the sake of robust connector. I'd look for the 4K camera. And I'd delay buying any new glamorous lens at least for some time while I try to understand what exactly lens I want and use some cheap vintage glass for now.

So it looks I'd prefer BMPC4K.

I'd put aside some money for a good tripod and a sound recorder, too.

Ian Henderson

PostWed Oct 11, 2017 6:53 am

What about the Voigtlander 10.5/0.95 - should be an excellent lens on the BMMCC?

Anatoly Mashanov

PostWed Oct 11, 2017 7:33 am

Ian Henderson wrote:What about the Voigtlander 10.5/0.95 - should be an excellent lens on the BMMCC?

Had I money for such lens (And it's a prime so you should have a set of lenses) I'd better buy Ursa Mini.

Return to Cinematography