Static "pops" on audio

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Mark Galaviz

Static "pops" on audio

PostMon Oct 23, 2017 9:57 pm

Hi everyone. New user to DaVinci Resolve. I've been putting gameplay clips on Youtube and was using another program but needed something with more advanced editing features. DaVinci Resolve so far is perfect except for one thing I hope you guys can help with.

I'm having this issue with static pops in my completed videos. I have a completed timeline ready to render and you can sometimes hear the static on the editing tab. Cant hear it at all in the Fairlight tab. But it's really noticeable on the Deliver tab and this is what gets output to the completed video.

Did a lot of searching on Google and found some results of people getting that and recommending to set the project framerate manually rather than letting the program selecting it automatically. I thought that was it because my first 2 videos have the static but my third one did not have any issues.

Not letting me post the urls to my videos but I didnt see anything in the terms and conditions? Anyway, here is the youtube code to my first video that I did with Resolve "gMUe4GAyJss#t=01m55s". Just paste it after the "watch?v=" in the URL. Really noticeable at 1m55s to the 2 minute mark. Has it here and there throughout the whole video but this part is really noticeable. This 5 second section also has this really bad distortion but that was due to the way the audio was recorded and has been fixed.

Second video: bdInvj3RE0k#t=01m
and again at: bdInvj3RE0k#t=06m
This one is not as noticeable but it's there, including these micro-second audio cut outs.

Third video with no issues: UP35gwNw0KU

Any ideas on what could be causing this? Or a setting I can change in the Deliver tab for audio? Perhaps a way to export audio from the fairlight tab and combine later?

My specs:
MSI Z97 Gaming 5
Intel Core i7-4790K
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid
Dell U3415W (3440x1440 @ 60Hz)
16GB DDR3
Samsung 850 EVO M.2 250GB (OS) & 850 PRO 1TB SSD (Games), WD Black 1TB HDD x2 (Media and Backup)

No sound card. Using video card HDMI to output audio to a receiver.

Thanks!

Mark Galaviz

Re: Static "pops" on audio

PostTue Oct 24, 2017 12:51 am

Forgot to mention....using Windows 10 Pro 64bit.

Marc Wielage

PostTue Oct 24, 2017 1:44 am

What are the specs of the audio file(s)? Are they WAVs or something else? Is it all 16-bit/48kHz? Do the audio files have embedded timecode?
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Charles Bennett

PostTue Oct 24, 2017 2:25 pm

That sounds like a clocking issue with the audio. If the programme you used to record the gameplay is using variable framerate to record the video, this will cause problems in Resolve. Have you tried transcoding the video to a more friendly format such as DNxHD or Prores?
Resolve Studio 19.0b build 20
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

Mark Galaviz

PostWed Oct 25, 2017 12:10 am

Marc Wielage wrote:What are the specs of the audio file(s)? Are they WAVs or something else? Is it all 16-bit/48kHz? Do the audio files have embedded timecode?

Audio files are either MP3s or audio in the video fiiles which are MP4s. Audio is either a mix of 16bit/48kHz or 16bit/44.1kHz. The third video that has no issues has the video and gameplay audio at 48kHz and the music is 44.1kHz. I'm a complete newbie so I have no idea what you mean by embedded timecode. :P

Charles Bennett wrote:That sounds like a clocking issue with the audio. If the programme you used to record the gameplay is using variable framerate to record the video, this will cause problems in Resolve. Have you tried transcoding the video to a more friendly format such as DNxHD or Prores?

I used Nvidia's Shadowplay (or I should say formerly known as Shadowplay) to record and as far as I know it records at a constant bit rate, in this case 60fps.

Mark Galaviz

PostFri Oct 27, 2017 7:40 pm

So I was wrong. Shadowplay records at a variable bit rate. The menus just don't make it clear and the program is just very simplified and has very minimal options. Did some further research and found that some video editors, like Resolve, don't play well with VBR files.

I used Handbrake to transcode (re-encode? still not sure of the terminology here) the files at a constant bit rate, didn't have to do anything to my timeline thankfully and just rendered the video file and the audio came out perfectly clear.

Using OBS now instead of Shadowplay as that program does record in CBR. First project came out nicely with it. Hopefully this helps out others. Either use Shadowplay and then transcode with Handbrake or use another recording app like OBS.

Return to DaVinci Resolve