DV Resolve 14 crashes after selecting CUDA

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Miguel Sobrino

DV Resolve 14 crashes after selecting CUDA

PostWed Oct 25, 2017 11:42 pm

Hi.

I did realize that DVResolve 14 was using OpenCL instead of CUDA in my computer. I've got an Nvidia Quadro 4000 with the latest Nvidia driver and latest CUDA version installed. So after selecting both in DVResolve, every time I try to open de application it crashes just at the very beginning. I tried to uninstall and reinstall the app using the provided uninstaller and it happens the same when I start it over. I have installed back DVResolve 12.5 and it works perfectly. I have reinstalled version 14 over the 12.5 and it happens again the crash.

Any idea why this is happening?

Best Regards

Miguel

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

Re: DV Resolve 14 crashes after selecting CUDA

PostThu Oct 26, 2017 12:59 am

The Quadro 4000 is not supported in Resolve 14.

You need an NVIDIA GPU with CUDA Compute Capability 3.0 or higher.

https://developer.nvidia.com/cuda-gpus
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Norman Black

PostThu Oct 26, 2017 2:32 am

Quadro K4000, M4000, P4000, M4000M or just plain 4000?
Resolve 16b3, Windows 10 1803
i7-4770K 4.0 GHz, 16GB ram, GTX 1080
512GB system SSD, 1TB 7200rpm HDD

Miguel Sobrino

PostThu Oct 26, 2017 2:48 pm

Thanks for the answer. It have been working fine until now when I decided to use CUDA instead of the default OpenCL. The problem is that after changing to CUDA now the application just don't open and after reinstalling it it keeps closing immediately in the welcome screen. The question is where are the preferences that the uninstaller let in my computer to reset this selection and back to OpenCL.

Thank you

Regards

Miguel

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Oct 26, 2017 5:25 pm

When you launch Resolve, it should at least get to the Project Manager window. Assuming that happens, make sure the database list is exposed.

Then a <CTRL><,> on Windows or <OPTION><,> on Mac should open the Preferences window so you can change back to OpenCL.

Note that if you use OpenCL on that GPU, probably some things won't work correctly, like LUTs.
Dwaine Maggart

Miguel Sobrino

PostThu Oct 26, 2017 5:52 pm

I'm on a MacPro with High Sierra installed. When I try to open the application, the icon jumps for a few seconds, the welcome screen appears and just crashes. No Project Manager appears. I have uninstalled DVResolve with the provided uninstaller, have erased manually the folder /Library/Application Support/BlackMagic Desing/DaVinci Resolve and reinstalled from there and it does the same.

Have installed version 12.5.6 and it works and after that I have created a DataBase with it, I have installed version 14 again over it and it happens just the same, it crashes at opening.

I have even uninstalled with CleanMyMac just to see if this cleaning application is able to erase any preference the uninstaller left behind, but the result it's just the same.

There should be a file where DVResolve saves the Graphic Card preferences that it's still there but I can't find it. And yes, may be the application doesn't work with the GPU at the highest performance, but it's enough for my work. I have been working with it both during beta and final release without problems until I changed OpenCL for CUDA.

I will wait until Apple releases the promised machine next or the following year, so buying a new GPU just for this is not a deal right now. The Quadro 4000 have been working perfectly with DVDavinci until now and it works perfectly with my other applications ( Flame, Nuke,FCPX ).

Regards

Miguel

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Oct 26, 2017 6:39 pm

In /Library/Preferences/Blackmagic Design/DaVinci Resolve, open the config.dat file in TextEdit and add this at the bottom of the file:

Local.GPU.Mode = OpenCL

Save the file and exit TextEdit.

Launch Resolve. It should launch in OpenCL mode. Immediately go to Resolve Preferences - Hardware Configuration and set the GPU Processing Mode to OpenCL and save the preferences and restart Resolve.
Dwaine Maggart

Miguel Sobrino

PostThu Oct 26, 2017 9:44 pm

Perfect, that worked for me ( and for now until I can get a better configuration )

Thank you for your support

Best Regards

Miguel

Return to DaVinci Resolve