Write Metadata back to files?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Andreas Schampera

Write Metadata back to files?

PostSat Oct 28, 2017 4:43 am

Hi, I used the media tab to enrich my files with metadata keywords. Is it possible to write them back to the original files?

Is there an automated / batch way to copy created date to metadata as capture time?

Thanks, Andreas

Gesendet von meinem SM-G930F mit Tapatalk

Glenn Venghaus

Re: Write Metadata back to files?

PostSat Oct 28, 2017 11:43 am

That would be amazing, but unfortunately no.

The only thing you can do with metadata in Resolve is use it in Resolve or export it to a csv file and import somewhere else (or back into resolve into another project for example that uses this media.
Export you do via the media page btw
Beatstep & APC-40 Resolve Edition Controllers https://posttools.tachyon-consulting.com
Test Rig : 2xXeon (24c) | UNRAID KVM OSX VM's | 128GB | 5700XT | 40Gbe
Prod Rig : i9-7940X (14c) | OSX 10.15 | 64GB | 2xVega 56 | 40Gbe | Tb3 | V:Eizo | A:5.1RME

Andreas Schampera

PostSat Oct 28, 2017 1:30 pm

Glenn Venghaus wrote:That would be amazing, but unfortunately no.

The only thing you can do with metadata in Resolve is use it in Resolve or export it to a csv file and import somewhere else (or back into resolve into another project for example that uses this media.
Export you do via the media page btw
I have organized my footage in following path hierarchy:

YYYY/YYYY-MM-DD/filename

I created a metadata master project and imported a year by creating bins with subfolders. Then I added keywords, etc.

Now it my happen, that I got additional footage for a date which I already imported to bins.

If I do the same steps (for a year with subfolders) the new footage is NOT imported. Also I noticed that if I add the same footage to a different bin, that my metadata is lost in the new imported bin and still present in the bin I used before.

Is there at least a way to link the metadata to the full qualified filename of the source files or to link them to the source file identified by a hash of the file or sth like that?

Is there way to add new files (from subdirectories) to already created bins?

BTW I already found the export / port CSV Option but it's not that convenient, but better than nothing.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G930F mit Tapatalk

Glenn Venghaus

PostSat Oct 28, 2017 4:01 pm

Difficult to understand your issue based on this description, but more in general, re-attaching metadata to footage (eg via export/import) follows the same logic/rules as for (re-)conforming. So check your conform options in source and target projects so it behaves as you want eg based on reelname assited by filename or whatever is relevant for you footage.
Experiment....

I generaly populatereelname with sourcefilename on metedataexport, so i always have a ref where stuff comes from. Then i can import /link this metadata always to either source or intermediate/dailies foortage.
When importing be selective what you import as it can overwrite data you dant want it to. Like timecode etc. (I deselect all technical metadata from import)
Beatstep & APC-40 Resolve Edition Controllers https://posttools.tachyon-consulting.com
Test Rig : 2xXeon (24c) | UNRAID KVM OSX VM's | 128GB | 5700XT | 40Gbe
Prod Rig : i9-7940X (14c) | OSX 10.15 | 64GB | 2xVega 56 | 40Gbe | Tb3 | V:Eizo | A:5.1RME

Return to DaVinci Resolve