List of computers that works with BMD USB3.0 products

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Jarno Pärnänen

Re: List of Laptops that works with BMD USB3.0 products

PostMon Nov 06, 2017 12:08 pm

Hi, I have a problem nowadays. With Windows 7 my Black Magic intensity pro shuttle WAS WORKING, now with Windows 10, I cannot get it to recognize the device anymore. Clean WIN10 installation with updated renesas usb3 drivers, etc.

PC laptop specs:
Fujitsu NH532
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3610QM CPU @ 2.30GHz
Ivy Bridge
Intel HM77 Express
NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M LE
16GB RAM

Any tips what to do? Thanks!

Nico Spilt

PostFri Nov 10, 2017 11:32 am

Nico Spilt wrote:I have a Dell laptop (XPSL702X) with ACPI x64-based motherboard, Intel i7-2630QM and Renesas USB 3.0 controller. Is there any chance that the Blackmagix Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0 will work with this or would I be throwing 199 euros away?
No answer? So far for the Blackmagic support.

Xtreemtec

PostFri Nov 10, 2017 5:27 pm

Nico this is an user forum. Not the official BMD support!!.

As this Dell has the right renesas chip you have a high change to get it to work. Not sure if it will work under Win10. But Win7 would be my choice. Then it could work right out of the box, But could also be that you need to tweak and install several versions of the renesas drivers before it could work..

Still it is not guaranteed for sure to work if there is no report here that someone actually tested it here..
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Nico Spilt

PostTue Nov 14, 2017 10:17 pm

Xtreemtec wrote:Nico this is an user forum. Not the official BMD support!!.

As this Dell has the right renesas chip you have a high change to get it to work. Not sure if it will work under Win10. But Win7 would be my choice. Then it could work right out of the box, But could also be that you need to tweak and install several versions of the renesas drivers before it could work..

Still it is not guaranteed for sure to work if there is no report here that someone actually tested it here..
Thank you (dank je). Perhaps I'll give it a try.

Nico Spilt

PostThu Nov 23, 2017 8:55 am

Nico Spilt wrote:Thank you (dank je). Perhaps I'll give it a try.
Yes I bought this plug & pray device and it works! No problems at all. After installing the software I got it running within 10 minutes. The only issue was the HD of my laptop, which cannot keep up with the pace of the data stream. So I plugged in an external hard disk (USB 3.0) and this does the job for me.

Xtreemtec

PostThu Nov 23, 2017 9:10 am

Okee good to know. Post the Specs please like in the first post of this topic. So i can add it to the list ;)

You might want to consider to Add an SSD to the machine for your video captures.. Run BMD Diskspeed to check the speed.
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Xtreemtec

Re: List of computers that works with BMD USB3.0 products

PostSun Jan 14, 2018 11:05 am

So BMD updated their document about USB 3.0 hardware.
USB 3.0 System Requirements (Updated 03-01-2018)

Operating Systems

Blackmagic Design USB 3.0 devices are compatible with the following Windows based operating systems:

Windows 7 64-bit
Windows 8 64-bit
Windows 10 64 bit

QuickTime

Apple QuickTime needs to be installed for some applications to function with a Blackmagic Desktop Video device, e.g. Adobe After Effects. You can download the latest version of Apple QuickTime for Windows: QuickTime Download.
Supported Hardware
CPU Requirements

In general, you should choose a CPU that meets or exceeds the system requirements of the software application you are planing on using.
Certified PC Workstations

============================================================================
Workstations
The following workstations are certified for use with UltraStudio Pro, UltraStudio SDI, Intensity Shuttle, ATEM 1 M/E, ATEM 2 M/E and Pocket UltraScope devices with USB 3.0 Expander cards:

Hewlett Packard Z420
Hewlett Packard Z620
Hewlett Packard Z820
Hewlett Packard Z400 - (discontinued)
Hewlett Packard Z600 - (discontinued)
Hewlett Packard Z800 - (discontinued)

Certified Notebook Computers

Notebooks certified for use with UltraStudio Pro, UltraStudio SDI and Intensity Shuttle.

MSI GE620 - (discontinued)

Presently there are no certified notebook computers for use with Pocket UltraScope. Testing is being conducted on several new notebook models and the results are expected soon. We will update this support note when we find new notebook models which can be reliably used with Pocket UltraScope. We advise against purchasing notebook computers for use with it until certification testing has been successfully completed.

The following notebook computers have not been verified by Blackmagic Design but have been reported by end-users as working with UltraStudio Pro, UltraStudio SDI, Intensity Shuttle, ATEM 1 M/E, and ATEM 2 M/E. Blackmagic Design cannot guarantee full compatibility.

Alienware M18x r2
ASUS G75VW
ASUS G74SX
ASUS G55VW
ASUS G53SW
ASUS K75
ASUS N56VZ
Lenovo P580-308725U
Lenovo W520
Lenovo T420
HP ProBook 4740S
Dell Precision M6600
Dell Precision M4600
MSI GT683 DXR
MSI FX720
MSI GS627 Core2 Quad Q9000
Acer 5755G i7-2670QM
Samsung RC512
Samsung SF411
Toshiba Satellite P775-S7215
Custom built - Clevo P170EM, HM77 Express Chipset, i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor, GeForce GTX 680M

Recommended Motherboards

The following motherboards have onboard USB 3.0 and have been tested to work with UltraStudio Pro, UltraStudio SDI, Intensity Shuttle, ATEM 1 M/E, ATEM 2 M/E, and Pocket UltraScope.

ASUS P6X58D-Premium
ASUS P6X58D-E
ASUS Crosshair IV Formula
Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7
Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5
Gigabyte G1.Sniper (rev. 1.0)

The following motherboards have not been verified by Blackmagic Design but have been reported by end-users as working with UltraStudio Pro, UltraStudio SDI, Intensity Shuttle, ATEM 1 M/E, ATEM 2 M/E, and Pocket UltraScope. Blackmagic Design cannot guarantee full compatibility.

ASUS P8Z77-M
ASUS P8Z77-V LK
ASUS P9X79
ASUS P6T Deluxe (with Renesas PCIe expansion card)
Intel DX58SO (with Renesas PCIe expansion card)

Memory
Blackmagic Design recommends a minimum of 4GB of memory for all systems.
Graphics

For optimal performance, an accelerated discrete non-onboard graphics card is recommend for use with UltraStudio Pro, UltraStudio SDI, Intensity Shuttle and Pocket UltraScope devices.

Please see the Graphics Card Requirement Tech note regarding appropriate graphics cards for our products.
Storage

You will require hard drive storage with your Blackmagic card that can provide a data rate greater than that of the video compression you are using.

For further information about this, please see the Recommended Disk Arrays for Uncompressed Video Tech note for a list of Storage solutions that have been tested for use with Blackmagic Design products.

Kurt Strengier

PostMon Jan 15, 2018 9:21 pm

If USB 3.0 throughput is the limiting factor, shouldn't this issue have largely disappeared by now?

USB 3.1 Generation 2 is becoming a more common standard that runs at double of what USB 3.0 does.

mrlews

PostMon Dec 10, 2018 4:59 pm

Hello everyone,

Does anyone has the up dated list of computers that works with USB 3.0 products ?

Thanks !

Xtreemtec

PostWed Dec 12, 2018 1:05 pm

As it quite a hit and miss.. Very few people use the USB3 products anymore.. Or get alternatives like Aja U-tap or Magwell usb..

rsuryase

PostTue Jul 02, 2019 7:48 pm

Is there a third party video capture software that will work with BDM USB3.0? Media Express crashes due to atio6axx.dll. When I delete atio6axx.dll, Media Express just hangs. My computer recognizes the hardware but the software doesn't work on my setup. Is it due to my very old GPU?

Windows 7 Pro 64bit
AMD-FX-8350 CPU
M5A97 LE R2.0 mobo
Radeon X1600 GPU
16GB RAM

Xtreemtec

PostWed Jul 03, 2019 12:43 pm

OBS, VMIX, Telecast, etc....

Steinar H. Gunderson

PostSun Jul 07, 2019 10:40 pm

Kurt Strengier wrote:If USB 3.0 throughput is the limiting factor, shouldn't this issue have largely disappeared by now?

USB 3.1 Generation 2 is becoming a more common standard that runs at double of what USB 3.0 does.

The Shuttle still runs at 3.0 (aka 3.1 gen 1) even if you have a host controller capable of running on 3.1 gen 2. I mean, just because you upgrade to a 10 gigabit NIC doesn't mean your switch gets any faster…

Personally, I'm pretty much convinced the USB chipset has nothing to do with it. I've run my Shuttle, and also the sister SDI product UltraStudio, on a variety of machines (desktop and laptop) with no issues at all. However, it has problems with USB link power saving; Linux turns the power saving off when it sees the Shuttle's USB ID, and that's the end of it. My assumption would be that the reason why Renesas makes a difference for Windows users has something to do with that (ie., simply different drivers that implement power saving differently or not at all); I've never bothered to try to find out, though.

tamaspinter

PostSat Apr 04, 2020 10:36 am

Hello to everybody!

First I apologize because my english not very strong. I hope I can explain everithing clear. So, we purchased from different source two Black Magic Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0. I installed one on Asus VivoBook under Windows 10. My colleague installed on MacBook Air under 10.14.6 Mojave system. My Shuttle worked perfect since begining. Shuttle of colleague on MacBook worked but after when we wanted use under Windows 10 at once we got blue screem: USB3 driver error. Summary: on my Asus my Shuttle is perfect working but when we change Shuttle to other, comp always restertd. We triered on other two notebook (HP and Lenovo). Resault was the same. Why just on MacBook working? Thank you for answer!

Best regards,
Tom
Previous

Return to Live Production