Azden FMX-22 Field mixer

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

7681production

Azden FMX-22 Field mixer

PostThu Mar 21, 2013 11:06 am

Hi,

I have a simple question to any users of the field mixer. How do you attach the mixer to your camera or cage? I can't seem to find a picture that shows a screw or other type of mount.

Thank you for your time,

Randy Walters

Re: Azden FMX-22 Field mixer

PostThu Mar 21, 2013 12:52 pm

I've been planning on getting one, and as far as I know it doesn't have any mounting threads underneath.

I’ll likely epoxy a rail mount underneath it, since it's only getting used on my rig. (I have other less-portable preamp/mixers I can use for other purposes.)

For the moment, I'm holding off - Azden just removed its product link, and the front of their site says something new is on the way. You might want to hold on until NAB.

icicle22

PostThu Mar 21, 2013 3:51 pm

FYI> When I was considering this I think I recall the weight being considerable in comparison to the Juicedlink Riggy assist. I did not want to add additional weight to my rig. You may not care but checj the weight comparisons to be sure.

7681production

PostThu Mar 21, 2013 3:53 pm

I just saw the beachtek product that I would put underneath the camera.

http://www.beachtek.com/products/hdslr/dxa-bmd/

Trevor Zuck

PostThu Mar 21, 2013 3:57 pm

7681production wrote:Hi,

I have a simple question to any users of the field mixer. How do you attach the mixer to your camera or cage? I can't seem to find a picture that shows a screw or other type of mount.

Thank you for your time,

Ideally you have a sound guy holding it...
- TZ

Visual FX and Post Production Artist
Screenscape Studios

Frank Glencairn

PostThu Mar 21, 2013 4:00 pm

icicle22 wrote:FYI> I did not want to add additional weight to my rig.

Of course you want, unless you are planning to shoot a new Blairwitch flick.

If you want a stable image, you need weight. Kiss the idea goodbye that you can wave around a camera with bare hands like a tourist and get usable material.
http://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/

I told you so :-)

7681production

PostThu Mar 21, 2013 5:30 pm

TZuck wrote:

Thank you for your time,

Yes ideally but this is not an ideal world ;)

icicle22

PostThu Mar 21, 2013 7:00 pm

Frank Glencairn wrote:
icicle22 wrote:FYI> I did not want to add additional weight to my rig.

Of course you want, unless you are planning to shoot a new Blairwitch flick.

If you want a stable image, you need weight. Kiss the idea goodbye that you can wave around a camera with bare hands like a tourist and get usable material.

Frank.....a little harsh huh? :) I already have a rig on rails with a mattebox, follow-focus, a battery mount and battery and a shoulder stabilizer attached. I also have a GRID loupe and a samurai that I will attach when I need simultaneous RAW and Prores. I have no intention of running around like a tourist, but I also don't see the point in adding additional weight at this point. Especially onto the body when I really need the weight shifted toward the back.

I've been lugging around an XL-H1 camera all modded out for years, so I have not expectations of waving my camera around with bare hands! But not wanting to add a larger device to my rig means that?

Regardless, the Riggy has a known track record of being good with cameras (although new to BMCC) so I went with it. The fact that it weighs nearly 1/3 of the Azden was a plus for me but I could see where having a bigger and bulkier audio preamp might be desirable.

Trevor Zuck

PostThu Mar 21, 2013 8:03 pm

7681production wrote:
TZuck wrote:

Thank you for your time,

Yes ideally but this is not an ideal world ;)

Summer is coming up, intern should do.
in all seriousness though, I'm ordering the Azden FMX-22, if you've got rails some gaff tape should hold it in place. or rubber bands. otherwise a top mount is more ideal than base. Don't want the camera to overheat.
- TZ

Visual FX and Post Production Artist
Screenscape Studios

icicle22

PostThu Mar 21, 2013 8:30 pm

Let us know how it works. One of the reasons I chose the JuicedLink was that I could read dozens of reviews and reports from people actually using it with a video camera. The Azden may be great, but the lack of reviews and reports left me feeling a little concerned and I did not want to be the guinea pig (we all are anyway with the BMCC :)). So I'd love to hear how it works out for you!

Thanks.

Return to Cinematography