Spill Suppression control ideas?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

paulgolden

Spill Suppression control ideas?

PostThu Feb 15, 2018 1:23 am

The spill suppressor checkbox in the 3D keyer works really well. But I've been wondering if it's just an all-or-nothing type of thing, or is there a good way to dial it in and out?

I've experimented by not checking it as part of my Keyer node and then putting on another node and it seems to work, but it's still an on/off thing.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how to add some finesse to it?

Sam Steti

Re: Spill Suppression control ideas?

PostThu Feb 15, 2018 4:12 pm

Hey,
Don't expect too much of my answer cos' I didn't even try it right in Resolve...

But for the day you might give it a try, A quick Fusion Connect would take you to the place to be for this operation (that I'm definitely used to). So there, more than the option you'd find in the keyer node itself, you may add a Matte Control just after, which usually gives amazing results. To go further, you may even add other specific nodes to deal with outlines...
*MacMini M1 16 Go - Ext nvme SSDs on TB3 - 14 To HD in 2 x 4 disks USB3 towers
*Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 3SSDs including RAID
*Resolve Studio everywhere, Fusion Studio too
*https://www.buymeacoffee.com/videorhin

Dmitry Kitsov BMD

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Feb 15, 2018 10:21 pm

Hello, Paul, Sam,
you can control the despill amount by mixing in some of the original back into the image after the fact of the keying—please see the screenshot attached. You can control the degree of the mix-in by adjusting the key output gain value.
Attachments
Screenshot 2018-02-15 14.11.52.png
Screenshot 2018-02-15 14.11.52.png (120.27 KiB) Viewed 2303 times
Last edited by Dmitry Kitsov BMD on Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Blackmagic Design Sr.Technical Support Engineer

iannicholson

PostThu Feb 15, 2018 11:40 pm

Spill is best resolved during the shoot. In my green screen setup, I have a back/kicker/hair-light fixed to the ceiling above and behind my talent, while having separate lights evenly lighting my green screen.

These days, you can get a $50 LED and put that on a light stand with a boom arm - all for under $100 - and give yourself a cleaner image to start with before keying.

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostFri Feb 16, 2018 7:20 am

What puzzle me is that the [key] tab should let you to blend the node back to the original, but (12.5.x) does not seems to work.

I need to check in 14
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Sam Steti

PostFri Feb 16, 2018 9:19 am

Dmitry Kitsov BMD wrote:Hello, Paul, Sam,
you can control the despill amount by mixing in some of the original back into the image after the fact of the keying—please see the screenshot attached. You can control the degree of the mix-in by adjusting the key output gain value.
Well Dmitry, good idea indeed which can fix 80% minimum of the main issues... However, I doubt the key output gain value is able to deal with the shape outlines of the keyed subject, where spill is far more tricky to wipe out...
I'll check since it's interesting anyway...
*MacMini M1 16 Go - Ext nvme SSDs on TB3 - 14 To HD in 2 x 4 disks USB3 towers
*Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 3SSDs including RAID
*Resolve Studio everywhere, Fusion Studio too
*https://www.buymeacoffee.com/videorhin

Dmitry Kitsov BMD

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Mar 01, 2018 8:11 pm

I might be wrong (not a full-time VFX pro) but I believe it would be wrong for the despill to operate on the transparency in any way. I believe it should only affect the color of the pixels, hence I do not think that the matte edge or the shape's outline, and conversely dialing the despill back in should not have effect on pixels transparency either—it certainly does not affect it in my node tree as we are operating on the pixels color separately from the pixels alpha in that setup.
Blackmagic Design Sr.Technical Support Engineer

Return to DaVinci Resolve