Multi Cam Green Screen- ATEM1

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author
broadcastvenue

PostFri Mar 15, 2013 4:37 pm

Our production staff was advised we could use the ATEM 1 produce simple cuts only studio programs with different Chroma Key backgrounds (requirement) using the ATEM 1. Can this in fact be done and can anyone put together a quick tutorial for our TDs?
Thanks!

broadcastvenue

Re: Multi Cam Green Screen- ATEM1

PostFri Mar 15, 2013 4:40 pm

To be more precise, we have to key a different background angle behind each camera to look plausible as a green screen set. What is the workflow, (key set up to do so) Thanks

Chad

PostFri Mar 15, 2013 9:47 pm

In theory it should work. The ATEM 1ME has 4 keyers, so you could have up to 4 "angles", and each keyer can be told to turn off/on during the next background transition, so technically it all should work.

However, many users seem to be having a difficult time getting the ATEM's chroma key to work to their liking. I've not used it myself, but apparently getting the settings dialed in can be troublesome, and some users still see some artifacts in the image.

rogersuski

PostFri Mar 15, 2013 10:05 pm

Define simple. Talking heads with how many cameras? How fast is your "directing style"

There's only two media players (stills) so that will affect the "look" unless you bring in a 3rd background via a different source.

With the macro applications - you might be able to pull this off...and get away with only 2 still sources---but would take additional setup.

Personally, I wouldn't want to pull this off even with the 1 M/E panel

Mathijs

PostSat Mar 16, 2013 3:44 am

With 2 shots it can easy be done, with more than 2 it gets complicated because you have only one DVE.
So when using fly to show a big set loaded within media player 1, you can cut to another camera with a close up shot on media player 2 without the DVE.
With more than these 2, you would need a very big screen, plus you need to change the background pictures within the media players on the fly.
Plus the fact that the chroma keyer is not perfect yet, so getting a perfect key is another problem.
Also, putting a desk in front will also be a problem, or you have to input that from an external source.

JohnBengston

PostSat Mar 16, 2013 1:18 pm

broadcastvenue,

A few bits of advice:
  • Light your set, and particularly the green walls, well enough so no shadows are cast on the walls, and the talent / real-set elements don't get any green reflected light from the walls. This will increase your chances of being able to get a good chroma key result.
  • Fixed camera positions, no chance of 3D virtual studio with camera tracking without loads of external hardware.
  • Tune each camera angle to it's own key settings and store those snapshots.
  • Use a JustMacros OnPreview changed event to setup the next transition with the correct key and ME Transition settings, depending on what the operator selects on preview.
  • Always select next camera on preview then auto-transition / cut, to ensure the keys change and you don't end up with the background for camera one, providing the background for camera 2. Hot cutting on TX will not work.

Operationally the workflow should be the same as using none green-screened cameras, you just require a little extra setup during your rehearsals.

You should only ever need two USKs even if you are using 4 cameras, as you are just alternating between the Key providing the background for the camera on TX, and the one providing background for preview. Therefore you can still use the other two USKs and DSKs for individual desk control of graphics layers, or for DVEing a live window into the virtual set.

In the end, how good it will look, depends entirely on the design of your virtual set, and how well you match the camera angles with the rendered backgrounds.

Good Luck, hope you manage to pull it off using the ATEM.

John

Roman Pytkin Pekarek

PostSat Mar 16, 2013 2:11 pm

Or look for old echolab atem.. It have macros, whitch can set everything with one click on controldesk.. We succesfully setuped 3 cams with keyed background a'la fixed virtual studio..
http://tally.pytkin.sk
http://chucktv.eu
http://www.stonepp.tv
http://www.media-planet.sk

Mathijs

PostSun Mar 17, 2013 3:51 pm

The question remains how big his screen setup is. If it is big enough, there is no need for the DVE within the keyer. If it isn't, it's a different story.

BrandtGillespie

PostThu Aug 08, 2013 9:10 pm

Have an ME2 with 6 cam set up your answer helped me by switching through the ME2 bus and running Chroma Key on the ME1 bus. Thank you.
Sincerely,

Brandt Gillespie, Producer
PrayTV
62 Northampton St.
Boston, MA 02118, USA

abogadosean

PostMon Feb 19, 2018 9:54 pm

On a multi-angle ATEM M/E 1 new version, we are getting the previous CAMERA live, overlaying with the next "scene" other camera. Has anyone dealt with multi-angle chromakey camera artifacts? It is projecting both the first and second camera simultenously...

wicherdt

PostTue Feb 20, 2018 6:48 pm

See examples live chromakeys videos on www_webcaster_pl (_ is dot)
ATEM 2 M/E Production Studio with CASPARCG as playout of backgrounds with ATEM macros.

I am waiting for somebodys tests "Advanced Chroma Keying" in new software 7.3 (5.0 camera micro studio) on ATEM 4 M/E .
Last edited by wicherdt on Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Xtreemtec

PostTue Feb 20, 2018 7:54 pm

wicherdt wrote:I am waiting for somebodys tests "Advanced Chroma Keying" in new software 5.0 on ATEM 4 M/E .
Make that 7.3 :) 5.0 was back in 2013 ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Rodrigosrey

PostWed Feb 06, 2019 11:05 am

wicherdt wrote:See examples live chromakeys videos on www_webcaster_pl (_ is dot)
ATEM 2 M/E Production Studio with CASPARCG as playout of backgrounds with ATEM macros.

I am waiting for somebodys tests "Advanced Chroma Keying" in new software 7.3 (5.0 camera micro studio) on ATEM 4 M/E .

Please, tell me how to configure the backgrounds to work with 1ME and 4 câmeras with green sceen...

I´m new on blackmagic i work with Vmix

Thanks

Kevin Copeland

PostWed Feb 06, 2019 4:41 pm

The best way to do this is to set up macros for each camera shot. It's not that hard but you have to set every parameter of the Chroma Key, background, load a still into the media player, etc. It may take a few times to record it but it'll work great. Then you just play the Macro for Camera 1, Camera 2, etc and it'll cut to that shot if that's how you've set it up.

You can also use third party software to do this. http://atem.satplus.cz/

I've not used that software but I have set up Macros for 1 green screen shot to cut back and forth to other cameras/DSK's.

You need to have your lighting set up evenly and don't forget back light on your subjects. I use the ATEM 1 M/E Production Studio 4K and the keys are a little jagged on the edges.

Good luck,
kc

Robert Betzner

PostThu Feb 07, 2019 3:24 pm

Hi,

You can do this background changing while switching with macros inside the atem software. We did this recently for a congress show with a 4 camera setup. You don't need any 3rd party software for that. You can program each macro with different settings for camera, dve and chroma key setting. And instead of switching on the pgm row - you would switch with the macro row (you would have 1 macro for each camera). Works pretty good. Allthough dissolves are not possible with that and the keyer inside our Atem 4k 2ME is not that great.

Cheers

Robert

BrandtGillespie

PostTue Jan 07, 2020 12:00 pm

Have a 4ME Switcher. How do I get Multi Cam, Chroma Keyed videos, including their background layers, into the SuperSource boxes then all layered over some kind of Motion Video Layer running in the background?

I’ve been using a 2ME BMD (original version) for the past 8 years. I use macros to get the images (foreground chroma keyed over backgrounds) then, switching between those shots.

I’d like to put those chroma keyed shots, including their backgrounds, into SuperSource boxes to so I can show at least four (4) individual persons lined up side to side as in most news type interviews.

Getting the individual boxes, persons, into SuperSource is easy. Getting the persons and their appropriate backgrounds into the SuperSource backgrounds in the puzzle and question for me.

Help solving this would be much appreciated.

Sincerely, Brandt
Sincerely,

Brandt Gillespie, Producer
PrayTV
62 Northampton St.
Boston, MA 02118, USA

MambaFiber.com

PostTue Jan 07, 2020 5:48 pm

setup 3 chromakey shots, one each on ME2, ME3 and ME4. then select each ME as a source into 3 of your SuperSource boxes. ME-1 is not available as a SS source, it would just create feedback...unless you have an external way of creating the 4th chromakey shot, this is as much as the 4M/E can accomplish on its own.

choose the source of your motion video background on the Art tab of the SS palette. this is the background shown for the SS.

now that I've said that, it's possible you could leverage the multiple keys on each M/E to do more than one chromakey. hmmm, something new to play with someday...
Last edited by MambaFiber.com on Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Greg Bellotte - owner
MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Jan 08, 2020 4:23 am

You are on to it. You can actually set up 2 chroma keys on each ME. One with Program as background and the other with Preview as background. Each can feed a separate SS box. So 2 MEs would supply 4 SS boxes leaving ME1 and ME2 to do other things. Fun to do this stuff.

Regards Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

MambaFiber.com

PostWed Jan 08, 2020 6:00 am

NEVER even thought about using the preview busses for this...BRILLIANT!!! Thanks Gary :mrgreen:

want a good laugh? i even saw the M/E previews in the SS source list and actually said to myself "WHY would you ever want a PVW in the SS"?
Greg Bellotte - owner
MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Jan 08, 2020 3:40 pm

In addition to that I was surprised that Supersouce is also a choice for a SS box. I’m sure someone will have a use for that.
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

Return to Live Production