Moving a matte independently of its clip

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

cosmocanuck

Moving a matte independently of its clip

PostThu Feb 22, 2018 1:26 am

Hi all. I hope this is a quick and easy thing to solve - I'm comfortable with prosumer editing software but new to Resolve, and though I've gotten quite far via study and research, this has me stumped.

I've successfully attached a matte to a clip - actually it's just text done in Resolve - on the Color screen; I hand-made a travelling matte to create a the effect of the text being written out by hand. But I've given the word a bit of motion (reacting to a "bump" from other text), and when it moves, it moves a little out of its matte.

All my keyframe efforts so far within the Color screen have only moved the entire clip with its (momentarily misaligned) matte. Is there a way to independently move the matte for those few frames, to match the movement of the word itself (done on the Edit page)?

(I'm using 14.3.0.014, the latest.)

Hope that's clear... thanks!

Hector Berrebi

Re: Moving a matte independently of its clip

PostThu Feb 22, 2018 8:22 pm

cosmocanuck wrote:
Hope that's clear... thanks!

Hi Adam

Hope I understood you right..

Did you uncheck Lock Matte in Key tab of Ext Matte?
H e c t o r _ B e r r e b i
---------------------------
Colorist ~ Consultant ~ Trainer
Da Vinci Resolve Certified Instructor

cosmocanuck

Re: Moving a matte independently of its clip

PostFri Feb 23, 2018 6:18 am

Thanks Hector! Yes, I did. I actually just figured out (to my slight embarrassment) that you have to DOUBLE-click on a node to select it. Not expected behaviour to me! 8^) That makes all the difference, I think.

Return to DaVinci Resolve