R3Ds too contrasty in 14.3

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Frazer Bradshaw

R3Ds too contrasty in 14.3

PostThu Mar 01, 2018 4:49 am

Forgive me if this has been discussed previously -- I looked, but didn't find anything evident.

I have a project that was originally graded in 12.5, and I just opened it in 14.3 (Resolve was just updated to latest version of 14 today), and the R3D media is showing up much more contrasty than is should be. I say this based on the fact that the VFX work (made from the R3D originals in 12.something) is ProRes4444, and those look correct; the R3D original media is still on the timeline below, so turning off the ProRes reveals the same shot as an R3D but much more contrasty. VFX are all log (REDlog film) renders from the R3Ds, BTW.

I consulted with the post house who did the initial work, and was able to confirm that all settings are consistent between their machine (still running 12.5) and what I'm looking at.

This is on an iMac 27" Retina from late 2014. And the R3Ds were shot on an Weapon/Dragon (I'm still embarrassed to type that).

Anyone seen this or have any insights?

Thanks!!!
Frazer
Frazer Bradshaw
Director of Photography
Oakland, CA

Uli Plank

Re: R3Ds too contrasty in 14.3

PostThu Mar 01, 2018 11:28 am

Did you check your RAW settings? They might be at a different setting the RLF.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Frazer Bradshaw

PostThu Mar 01, 2018 5:00 pm

Yep, checked the RAW settings. Thanks though.
Frazer Bradshaw
Director of Photography
Oakland, CA

Kays Alatrakchi

PostThu Mar 01, 2018 5:17 pm

I would also check your Gamma value for the Viewport in your project settings to make sure they didn't switch from 2.2 to 2.4.

Lastly, do a test render and play it in something like VLC against the previous renders to see if the results differ.

It is unfortunate that Resolve doesn't allow for multiple versions to be installed on the same machine, I think it would save a great deal of headaches while getting people to adopt the new versions sooner.
>>Kays Alatrakchi
Filmmaker based in Los Angeles, CA
http://moviesbykays.com

Resolve 18.1.4, Mac OS X 12.6.3 (Monterey), iMac Pro 64Gb RAM, Decklink Mini 4K, LG C9

Mac Book Air M1, Mac OS X 12.6 (Monterey), 16Gb RAM

Frazer Bradshaw

PostThu Mar 01, 2018 11:01 pm

I figured it out. In the original 12 session, "Apply Metadata Curves" was checked. It was also checked in 14. But as I methodically tried every variable, that was the one. For whatever reason it was either not functioning or functioning differently in 12 than it is in 14. Why, I'll never know, because now I'm a day behind on delivering the film to the sales agent, and I have no more bandwidth to wonder...

Thanks Kays and Uli, and everyone who scratched their head about my problem.

Cheers,
Frazer
Frazer Bradshaw
Director of Photography
Oakland, CA

Return to DaVinci Resolve