Getting error on creating new database in Davinci Resolve

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Tahir Moosa

Getting error on creating new database in Davinci Resolve

PostFri Feb 21, 2014 7:28 am

Hi,

I tried to create new database on 3 other different windows machines but all station having the same error,

"ERROR
Failed to open database connection:
Could not connect to server: connection refused: (0x0000274D/10061) is the server running on host "127.0.0.1" and accepting TCP/IP connections on port 5432?
QPSQL: Unable to connect"

* Find attached screen shot for the reference.

I tried the same on one of my macbook and able to create new database on a click.

We want to have the setup 3 Davinci resolve full versions (Windows+MacOSX+Linux) and connecting to the same (share) database (Davinci lite as database server running on windows).

Please advice how to resolve the database error as i have gone through the manual and its seems very simple but i am stuck and not able to create database which let me proceed to connect the other stations to the server.

* I tried uninstall the Davinci resolve and reinstall and delete the hidden folder from "program data" but no success.
Attachments
resolvedatabase.jpg
resolvedatabase.jpg (149.36 KiB) Viewed 25388 times

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

Re: Getting error on creating new database in Davinci Resolv

PostFri Feb 21, 2014 7:20 pm

You have multiple issues.

Your issue of being unable to create a PostgreSQL database on Windows systems could have multiple reasons.

1. You didn't install PostgreSQL. When you run the Resolve installer, it has check boxes for various components. If the PostgreSQL check box was not checked, it would not be installed. Look in C:\Program Files and make sure a PostgreSQL folder exists. In that folder should be a 9.0 and/or a 9.2 folder. If you see these, then PostgreSQL was installed.

2. If PostgreSQL is installed, but your system is connected to a Windows Domain Server, then likely PostgreSQL was not properly installed and is not running. You can see if PostgreSQL is running by looking in the Windows Task Manager window, on the Services tab. If it's running, you should see a "postgresql-x64-9.0" or "postgresql-x64-9.2" service running. If you don't see a postgresql service running, then PostgreSQL will need to be uninstalled and reinstalled manually, and given a password that meets your Windows Domain Server password policy. The default password that we attempt to install PostgreSQL with is DaVinci. DaVinci is not a strong enough password for the Windows Domain Server, so it causes the install to fail. If you need to solve this problem, that will require additional help from us, and you should contact your local BMD support office for more information. When Resolve for Windows first came out, this was an often occurring issue. Until we made DISK databases the default on new installations. I imagine there could be a number of Resolve Windows installations where PostgreSQL is not running, but they don't care, since they are using DISK databases.

3. If PostgreSQL is installed and it's running, since it is a network connected service, firewalls can prevent the Resolve app from communicating with PostgreSQL. This can be determined by temporarily disabling the firewall app, and seeing if you can create a PostgreSQL database then. If so, you'll need to add a rule to your firewall to allow access to PostgreSQL.

Once you can create a PostgreSQL database on the local machine, then you can think about connecting to a remote database server.

Normally, PostgreSQL is configured to only allow a process on the local system (like Resolve) to communicate with it. If you want other systems to be able to connect to PostgreSQL running on a system, one of it's config files needs to modified to do this. This procedure for Mac systems is explained in the Mac Resolve Config guide, in the current guide on page 47, in the "Using a Mac as the DaVinci Resolve database server" section. We don't have similar instructions for a Windows system in the Windows config guide. The concept is the same. The process to accomplish that on a Windows system is different.

The file that needs to be modified is the pg_hba.conf file. It will be located here: C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\9.0\data

You should make a backup copy of the file before you attempt to modify it. Open the pg_hba.conf file in Notepad, and scroll down to the bottom of the file. It should look like this:

# TYPE DATABASE USER CIDR-ADDRESS METHOD

# IPv4 local connections:
host all all 127.0.0.1/32 md5
# IPv6 local connections:
host all all ::1/128 md5

In the IPv4 section, add this line:

host all all 192.168.1.0/24 md5

You would replace the 192.168.1.0/24 address in my example with your local network subnet address.
So if your network is 192.168.33.x, you would use 192.168.33.0/24.

Save the change and reboot Windows. Now other systems on that same subnet should be able to connect to PostgreSQL.

If you create the desired database on the database server PC, using the Resolve Database Manager window on that system, then on the other Resolve systems that want to connect to it, you would use the Database Manager Connect menu, and in place of the 127.0.0.1 address, you would use the address of the database server PC.

Or, you can create a new database on the database server from one of other Resolve systems. When you click the + icon to create a new database, replace the local 127.0.0.1 address with the address of the database server.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Tahir Moosa

PostFri Feb 21, 2014 8:17 pm

Hi Dwaine,

Your detail reply is highly appreciated, we are able to install the database and connect all the systems as per the requirement.

I also posted a query in few topic but unfortunately did not getting any help on this, as a matter of fact i sent an email to support as well and got the reply after a week or so but the answer was not there.
Please can you look into this post and reply... looking forward for some serious help here.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=18406
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=18443

Connor Stallings

PostThu Sep 28, 2017 4:45 pm

Wanted to bump this in hopes that I could get some further instruction.

I'm having the same issue with Davinci 14 on our two brand new iMacs. I made sure to do the custom installation to install the PostgreSQL feature, but I'm still getting the same error. The detail in the last post was incredible, but it was meant for windows users. Does anyone have any pointers for Mac users experiencing this problem?

Seth Goldin

PostThu Sep 28, 2017 6:49 pm

I had neglected to install PostgreSQL from Resolve's installer, but I downloaded and installed from EDB's site: https://www.enterprisedb.com/downloads/ ... -downloads

Make sure to select 9.5.9 for macOS.

After that, follow the instructions starting at p. 1306 in the Resolve 14 manual (September 2017).
https://www.sethgoldin.com

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Sep 29, 2017 5:19 am

@Conner: what exactly are you trying to do?

Do you just want local machine PostgreSQL database capability?

Or do you want your 2 machines to connect to a third machine acting as a Resolve database server?
Dwaine Maggart

Connor Stallings

PostMon Oct 02, 2017 11:10 pm

@Seth thanks, I downloaded it and installed it manually according to the instruction manual.

@Dwane I'm trying to create a database on a computer that we can work off of and also host a database. I got it to create a database, but every time I try to connect another computer which is on the same network to it, I get the message that it failed to connect to the server and to check the log file. The error says "Error Failed to connect to the database. Please check log file for more details."

I'd like to think that I followed the instructions in the manual perfectly, but another thing that is happening is it won't let me create a database using my IP address. It just uses the default 127.0.0.1 location, and if I try to manually type in my IP address then it gives another error. I followed all the instructions while installing PostgresSQL and didn't do anything weird. Tried uninstalling and re installing.

EDIT:
I just want to note that the manual for Davinci 14 seems to be a little out of date. In the section where it talks about connecting to a server, it talks about Davinci as if it is still 12 ("Open DaVinci Resolve on a computer that’s on the same network as the Database Server. At the DaVinci Resolve login screen, click the Database button in the lower right-hand corner, then click the Connect button at the bottom of the Database Manager." There is no sign in screen in 14, database is not on the right hand corner, and 'connect' is not at the bottom).

Glenn Venghaus

PostTue Oct 03, 2017 8:25 am

What you describe exactly sounds like you have not properly configured the pg_hba.conf to allow IP adresses in your network to access the DB.
If not properly configured you can only access the db via 127.0.0.1 (localhost).
The right info to do this is on the top of this thread in Dwaines 1st response.
p.s. Once done DB has to be restarted to activate the changes.
Beatstep & APC-40 Resolve Edition Controllers https://posttools.tachyon-consulting.com
Test Rig : 2xXeon (24c) | UNRAID KVM OSX VM's | 128GB | 5700XT | 40Gbe
Prod Rig : i9-7940X (14c) | OSX 10.15 | 64GB | 2xVega 56 | 40Gbe | Tb3 | V:Eizo | A:5.1RME

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Oct 03, 2017 4:44 pm

What Glenn said.

To be safe, add the new line in pg_hba.conf at the end of the file, not in the IPv4 section as I originally suggested.

And of course the original path specified for the file won't be 9.0, it will be what ever version you've installed.

And lastly, if you use Notepad to modify the pg_hba.conf file, you need to open Notepad in Admin mode, or it won't let you save the changes to the file.
Dwaine Maggart

Connor Stallings

PostTue Oct 03, 2017 5:58 pm

@Dwaine and @Glenn,

That makes perfect sense, however I'm still confused. I thought the Davinci 14 manual gave clear instructions on how to do that on page 1309 when it says

"In the following instruction, change the four values of the IP address below to match the one you wrote down, and then keep the number that follows after the forward slash (/) as 24, which specifies that the fourth number of the IP address can be any number. echo “host all all 192.168.1.88/24 md5” >> /Library/PostgreSQL/9.5/data/ pg_hba.conf".

When I do this, it says "/Library/PostgreSQL/9.5/data/: Is a directory". I'm not sure what i'm doing wrong.

EDIT:
I went in and edited the text as Dwaine suggested. Realized the problem I was having before was I did not have permission to change the file, so I had to go in and manually give myself permission to do so. Now I'm still stuck. I restarted the computer, opened Davinci, created a new database, and put in my IP in the location. I'm STILL getting the error

"Failed to open databse connection: could not connect to server: Permission denied Is the server runnong on host "192.168.1.0" and accepting TCP/IP connections on port 5432? QPSQL: Unable to connect."
Last edited by Connor Stallings on Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seth Goldin

PostTue Oct 03, 2017 6:26 pm

Connor Stallings wrote:@Dwaine and @Glenn,
When I do this, it says "/Library/PostgreSQL/9.5/data/: Is a directory". I'm not sure what i'm doing wrong.

I knew that line in the manual would trip some people up.

It's a line break in the manual, but the command is one line.
Code: Select all
echo “host all all 192.168.1.88/24 md5” >> /Library/PostgreSQL/9.5/data/pg_hba.conf
https://www.sethgoldin.com

Connor Stallings

PostTue Oct 03, 2017 7:08 pm

Seth Goldin wrote:
Connor Stallings wrote:@Dwaine and @Glenn,

I knew that line in the manual would trip some people up.

It's a line break in the manual, but the command is one line.
echo “host all all 192.168.1.88/24 md5” >> /Library/PostgreSQL/9.5/data/pg_hba.conf

Thank you for the clarification. I did this and went into the pg_hba.conf file to check if it went through and it's there. Restarted computer. Still getting the error.

Glenn Venghaus

PostTue Oct 03, 2017 8:02 pm

Just in case and not assuming anything:
The error message talks about 192.168.1.0 which is not a proper host ip adress normaly but generaly used to adress a whole network segment.
Did you configure the ip adress of your connection in the resolve db connection settings correctly ?
What is the ip adress of your server that runs the database ? That is the ip you should use for your resolve defined connection.

edit: also a proper notation in the hba file for your network is 192.168.1.0/24
Beatstep & APC-40 Resolve Edition Controllers https://posttools.tachyon-consulting.com
Prod Rig : i9-7940X (14c) | OSX 10.15 | 64GB | 2xVega 56 | 40Gbe | Tb3 | V:Eizo | A:5.1RME

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Oct 04, 2017 4:42 am

Post a link to your pg_hba.conf file here. Or, it's small enough, you can attach it here, if you have permission to add attachments (its based on how many posts you've made).

Also tell me the IP address of the computer.

Or PM all the above to me, if you don't want to publicize your IP address.
Dwaine Maggart

Connor Stallings

PostWed Oct 04, 2017 6:41 pm

@Dwaine

I ended up manually removing Postgres from the computer via terminal. Reinstalled Davinci and followed the instructions in the manual. It's finally allowing me to create a database with my proper IP address.

My co worker keeps getting the error "davinci failed to connect to database. Please check logfile for more details" when he tries to connect. Is this common?

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Oct 04, 2017 11:57 pm

Hi Connor,

First, you don't need to mess with the pg_hba.conf file at all to use a local PostgreSQL server on the system it's running on. The default IP address that the PostgreSQL Connect dialog uses (127.0.0.1) is the correct IP address for the local PostgreSQL database, and that's what the default pg_hba.conf file supports. You should NOT put your PC IP address in that area, if PostgreSQL is running on the machine.

You should only mess with pg_hba.conf if you wish to allow other Resolve systems to connect to that PostgreSQL database.

In regards to your co-worker, is he on a different Resolve system attempting to connect to your Resolve system? If so, is he on the same network subnet? If he is, and he can't connect to your database, it's almost certain that pg_hba.conf is not properly modified.
Dwaine Maggart

Raffaele Mariotti

PostFri Mar 02, 2018 6:22 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:First, you don't need to mess with the pg_hba.conf file at all to use a local PostgreSQL server on the system it's running on. The default IP address that the PostgreSQL Connect dialog uses (127.0.0.1) is the correct IP address for the local PostgreSQL database, and that's what the default pg_hba.conf file supports. You should NOT put your PC IP address in that area, if PostgreSQL is running on the machine.

I'm trying to setup a shared database so I can access all of my projects both on my main workstation and also on my laptop when I'm on the road.
I don't need collaborative workflows with more than one user working on several Resolve workstations.
I just need a shared database with all my projects.

I'd like to install the PostgreSQL server on a macmini that already has server features for me.
so I installed Resolve 14.3 with the PostgreSQL option activated, then rebooted.
when I try to create a new database, I get

Failed to open database connection: could not connect to server: Connection refused Is the server running on host "127.0.0.1" and accepting TCP/IP connections on port 5432? QPSQL: Unable to connect.

I also run this on terminal, as read in the manual:

Last login: Fri Mar  2 19:12:40 on ttys000
macmini:~ raffa$ ps -ef | grep PostgreSQL
  220   464     1   0  7:02PM ??         0:01.61 xpostgres -a /Library/Server/ProfileManager/Config/PostgreSQL_config.plist -D /Library/Server/ProfileManager/Config/ServiceData/Data/PostgreSQL -c unix_socket_directories=/Library/Server/ProfileManager/Config/var/PostgreSQL -c default_transaction_isolation=serializable -c logging_collector=on -c log_rotation_size=10M  PATH=/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin XPC_SERVICE_NAME=com.apple.DeviceManagement.postgres
  220   628   464   0  7:02PM ??         0:00.13 /Applications/Server.app/Contents/ServerRoot/usr/bin/postgres_real -D /Library/Server/ProfileManager/Config/ServiceData/Data/PostgreSQL -c unix_socket_directories=/Library/Server/ProfileManager/Config/var/PostgreSQL -c default_transaction_isolation=serializable -c logging_collector=on -c log_rotation_size=10MB -c log_connections=on -c log_lock_waits=on -c log_statement=ddl -c log_line_prefix=%m  -c listen_addresses= -c log_directory=/Library/Logs/ProfileManager -c log_filename=PostgreSQL-%F.log -c log_file_mode=0640 -c log_min_messages=WARNING -c log_min_error_statement=WARNING -c unix_socket_group=_devicemgr -c unix_socket_permissions=0770 -c max_connections=200 -c shared_buffers=256MB -c max_locks_per_transaction=128 -c max_pred_locks_per_transaction=128 -c checkpoint_segments=10
  220   656   464   0  7:02PM ??         0:00.05 /Applications/Server.app/Contents/ServerRoot/usr/bin/pg_receivexlog -h /Library/Server/ProfileManager/Config/var/PostgreSQL --no-password --directory /Library/Server/ProfileManager/Config/ServiceData/Data/backup --verbose --status-interval=1
  501  1116  1108   0  7:15PM ttys000    0:00.00 grep PostgreSQL

so I guess something is wrong with it?
how can I successfully create a database?
and most importantly, is this the best way to accomplish what I need?
thanks

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Mar 02, 2018 6:29 pm

Open the Mac Activity Monitor. Set it to show All Processes.

Select the CPU tab.

Sort by Process Name column.

Scroll down to the P area.

Do you have any postgres processes running? If so, how many?
Dwaine Maggart

Raffaele Mariotti

PostSat Mar 03, 2018 9:19 am

Dwaine Maggart wrote:Do you have any postgres processes running? If so, how many?

it seems there are 12 postgres processes running.
screenshot attached.

r.jpg
r.jpg (58.05 KiB) Viewed 21317 times

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Mar 05, 2018 5:52 pm

It appears you have the Apple App Store macOS Server app installed and running.

That interferes with the Resolve PostgreSQL server, and will prevent it from working properly.

I don't have a solution to offer, except to remove macOS server from a system that you want to use as a Resolve database server.
Dwaine Maggart

Raffaele Mariotti

PostMon Mar 05, 2018 8:21 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:I don't have a solution to offer, except to remove macOS server from a system that you want to use as a Resolve database server.

thank you Dwaine.
I can't do that for the moment, so I though about another way of getting what I need and would like your opinion.

what if I setup Resolve in the 2 Macs with a disk based database, creating it on one machine, pointing it in a Dropbox folder, and on the second machine simply loading that database?
this way, both Macs are able to read from, and save to the same database.

I did a quick test and it seems to work – would you have any recommendation against it for some reason, or it's just as simple as it sound?

Glenn Venghaus

PostMon Mar 05, 2018 10:32 pm

Fastest way to kill your resolve database. Just dont !!
Multi client DB accesss is only supported using postgresql

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Mar 05, 2018 10:37 pm

What Glenn said. Disk databases do not support multi-user access.
Dwaine Maggart

Raffaele Mariotti

PostMon Mar 05, 2018 11:01 pm

thanks for the warning!

out of curiosity, is it just a matter of user?
what if the two machines have the same user account and names?
anyway I did a quick test with a new database with a couple of test projects and it seemed to work.
but I trust you guys and won't go down this road.

I would just hope that macOS server wasn't conflicting with PostgreSQL.

and last question.
suppose I get the PostgreSQL server running on machine A.
what happens if machine A hosts the DB, and machine B is trying to access that while machine A is turned off?
is there some level of caching?
would I be able to at least "see" the projects and load them, then saving them?

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Mar 06, 2018 12:36 am

Unfortunately, macOS Server does interfere with Resolve's use of PostgreSQL.

Last question answer: If machine A is turned off, there is no database for machine B to access.

This is why we suggest a dedicated machine is used for the PostgreSQL server.

You can certainly setup sharing on all the Resolve clients that have PostgreSQL installed, so one machine can access another's projects. The problem with that is, when the machine hosting the database/project, and running Resolve crashes or hangs. Then the other machine connected to it will lose access to the project, and both systems will be down.

So best that the machine hosting the database isn't being used for other things that might hang/crash it.
Dwaine Maggart

Raffaele Mariotti

PostTue Mar 06, 2018 8:23 am

Dwaine Maggart wrote:You can certainly setup sharing on all the Resolve clients that have PostgreSQL installed, so one machine can access another's projects. The problem with that is, when the machine hosting the database/project, and running Resolve crashes or hangs. Then the other machine connected to it will lose access to the project, and both systems will be down.

So best that the machine hosting the database isn't being used for other things that might hang/crash it.

thanks Dwaine, very helpful answer.

in my scenario, I work alone and I don't need to use Resolve at the same time on more machines.
so let's say that machine A is the main workstation and machine B is the laptop.
I work on machine A the 70% of times, and 30% I'm on the road on the laptop.
usually I start projects on A and then keep working on B on the road, and then finishing them again on A – but sometimes I start them on B while away from the studio.
At the moment I can't justify to get a new machine running 24/7 just to host the db.

so in this scenario, what would you recommend? is there any workaround or solution?
Is it the whole macOS server that interferes or just some module/service/daemon that I could turn off?
thanks for helping, highly appreciated!

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Mar 06, 2018 10:42 pm

In your scenario, a shared database server just doesn't work at all, while the laptop is away from the server.

Seems like the only option is to have a copy of the project on both systems. But if you start a project on machine A and want to use machine B with that project on the road, you'd need to get the A project copied into the B local database. Then when B comes back to A, you'd need to copy the B project over to the A machine.

You could move projects back and forth between machines when they were both together, by using a shared database. Or you could export a project .drp and import it to the other system.
Dwaine Maggart

Raffaele Mariotti

PostWed Mar 07, 2018 8:42 am

Dwaine Maggart wrote:In your scenario, a shared database server just doesn't work at all, while the laptop is away from the server.

thanks Dwaine,
I don't understand your point.
if I'll be able to setup a server for the Resolve database, why wouldn't be the best for me? I would have a centralized access to all the ongoing projects, from machine A and B. and if the server is on 24/7, I think it's the best option.
am I missing something?

moving .drp's back and forth has been my way to go forever. but as I use Resolve more and more also for editing and starting projects, I was looking for a better alternative.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Mar 07, 2018 7:45 pm

I don't see how you can have your machine B laptop connected to the PostgreSQL server when you are on the road.
Dwaine Maggart

Raffaele Mariotti

PostWed Mar 07, 2018 8:12 pm

VPN or dynamic DNS wouldn’t work?

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Mar 07, 2018 8:17 pm

I'm guessing that would be challenging, but if you can make it work, great.
Dwaine Maggart

Glenn Venghaus

PostThu Mar 08, 2018 9:14 am

The on the road VPN solution could work if you keep
- Working database small as affects resolve startup / loading time (latency , network speed)
- Leave autosave or livesave stuff off . Just do a manual save at times (depending project size and network speed this can be sloooow). So most DB access will be only during startup and project load and safe.
- Resolve will die on you if connection drops.

Alternatively you could use your VPN to just connect and export a project from your home DB and load it in your local DB on the road. Then when finished push it back or do that at home. At least you have access to the DB every where. You still of course need to bring all your media files.

Raffaele Mariotti

PostThu Mar 08, 2018 12:22 pm

thanks for the suggestions.
I'll try to come up with something

Raffaele Mariotti

PostThu Mar 08, 2018 8:57 pm

another question related to optimizing this workflow.

- is there a way to convert my SQL database into a local disk database?

- is there any benefit in doing this? e.g. instead of exporting .drp files out of the database, could I just use the Finder and moving project files?

if so, I could maybe think of using this workflow instead of the remote VPN thing.
thanks!

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Mar 08, 2018 10:58 pm

No

However, you can copy all the projects from a PostgreSQL database into a Disk database, if you desire.

We don't recommend doing stuff in the Disk database at the Finder level.
Dwaine Maggart

Raffaele Mariotti

PostMon Sep 10, 2018 9:31 am

Dwaine Maggart wrote:No

However, you can copy all the projects from a PostgreSQL database into a Disk database, if you desire.

thanks @Dwaine Maggart,
a couple of questions about that.
I've decided to switch to disk db from now on.

- what is the best way for moving ALL of my old projects from PostgreSQL to disk db? I can see in the manual that you can copy/paste from one to another. Should I do that one project at a time, or also more than one? and what about archived projects inside a folder? and what about stills/etc.?

- I noticed that when I switch to a project inside the new disk db, I can't see my export presets and data burn-in presets. I guess it's because my presets were created in the PostgreSQL environment. Is there a way to import these as well? I tried to look around but I can't find anything about this. I have many many presets and it would take so long to re-create all of those in the new disk db. any solution?

thanks!

Return to DaVinci Resolve