Hyperdeck Studio Pro 2 DNxHD Codec Bitrate

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

pred11

Hyperdeck Studio Pro 2 DNxHD Codec Bitrate

PostMon Mar 19, 2018 10:12 pm

BMD Community,

We recently purchased a couple of BMD Hyperdeck Studio Pro 2s and would like to reduce our file sizes.

The Black Magic Hyperdeck Studio Pro 2 manual seems to give the impression that the bit-rate for the DNxHD codec is selectable on page 21 (attached) as DNxHD 220x, 145, and 45 are all listed and are all 1080p/30 formats. Yet there does not appear to be a way to select the bit-rate of DNxHD via the Hyperdeck front panel nor the Hyperdeck Setup software.

Is there a way to select the DNxHD bit-rate?

If not, what bit-rate will a 1080p/30 signal be recorded as? 220, 145, or 45?

Thanks.

Xtreemtec

Re: Hyperdeck Studio Pro 2 DNxHD Codec Bitrate

PostTue Mar 20, 2018 1:50 pm

Are the hyperdecks running the latest firmware?? Last thursday there was a new update 5.3 with new software for the Pro and 12G models.

From the manual it is clear that Pro recorder also support DNxHD codecs.
Selecting Your Video Format
All HyperDecks record compressed HD video using Apple ProRes and Avid DNxHD codecs.
HyperDeck models that record on SSDs can also record uncompressed HD video.
HyperDeck Studio Pro records Ultra HD using ProRes codecs. HyperDeck Studio Mini and
HyperDeck Studio 12G support ProRes and DNxHR for Ultra HD recording

Which is not true from the following list because the Studio mini only does DNxHR and not HD.. So it can be a bit confusing.
Hyperdeck Codecs FW5.3.png
Hyperdeck Codecs FW5.3.png (101.12 KiB) Viewed 3336 times

If you are not able to set it by the frontpanel try the software dropdown menu.
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

pred11

PostTue Mar 20, 2018 2:41 pm

Hi Xtreemtec,

Thanks for the reply.

I updated to firmware version 5.3 just before posting this to see if that was my issue but after the update I still don't see where to select the bit-rate for DNxHD. It doesn't appear to be available from the front panel nor the drop down in the Hyperdeck Setup software.

To be clear I can selected between Uncompressed, ProRes, DNxHD, etc, just not the DNxHD bit rate.

Cheers.

Denny Smith

PostTue Mar 20, 2018 6:47 pm

DNxHD bitrate is fixed, depending on what flavor of DNxHD you select, i.e. DNxHD vs DNxHR (which has the higher bit rate) from my understanding.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Xtreemtec

PostTue Mar 20, 2018 7:54 pm

Denny Manual says DNxHD 220 145 and 45.... Only doesn't explain how ;)
Hyperdeck codec text.png
Hyperdeck codec text.png (99.8 KiB) Viewed 3308 times

Hyperdeck bitrates.png
Hyperdeck bitrates.png (38.33 KiB) Viewed 3308 times
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Scott Smith

PostTue Mar 20, 2018 8:03 pm

I was playing with this the other day, having mostly avoided DNxHD, and tried an export from Adobe Media Encoder as "DNxHD/DNxHR MXF OP1A, DNx HQ" setting. This, I believe, is essentially the same as what the Hyperdeck records for HD footage (the HR is for higher resolutions). EXCEPT, that the Hyperdeck records the audio separately, while AME multiplexes them together. Makes them pretty incompatible. Unnecessarily complicated stuff here. Can't developers ever get on the same page?

But it looked to me like the DNxHD was essentially equivalent to the ProRes HQ setting in quality and bitrate, with no equivalent to regular ProRes, LT, or Proxy ProRes settings.

I have said it before, and I will say it again. I really wish Blackmagic would add a more compressed codec like a high quality h.264 into these decks. Seriously. I love Prores, but often times a good h.264 would be preferable.
Scott R Smith
BMD Stuff I use: ATEM 2-M/E, 4 x ATEM PS 4K, Broadcast Videohub, 6 Hyperdeck Pros, 4 Hyperdeck Shuttles, Multidock, Smartscope Duo, Smartview, Intensity Extreme, Decklink Studio, and lots of Miniconverters and Open Gear Converters.

pred11

PostWed Mar 21, 2018 1:06 pm

Hi Scott,

Thanks for your input. I just confirmed your comment that DNxHD MXF on our Black Magic Hyperdeck Pro 2 (Firmware Rev 5.3) records at 220mb/s (equivalent to ProRes HQ bit rate).

So DNxHD220 it is with no way to change the bit rate. Hopefully we will see that feature added in a future firmware update.

Cheers.

Return to Live Production