Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Grant's Quote from 2018 NAB Live Press Conference

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Andy Witkowski

Grant's Quote from 2018 NAB Live Press Conference

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 2:36 pm

We’ve done no market research on this. We never do user studies, or, you know, any of that stuff. So, we have no idea what’s going to happen. We just do these things and think it sounds right and it’ll be interesting to see what happens.

Edit: Link didn't quite work. Quote is at 17:27

I'm sure some of you caught it, too. I thought it was a little odd. Especially since there's been very little (if any) official support for Fusion on these forums, it almost sounds like they do what they want with very little (if any) user feedback. You can look in the forums here and see users asking BMD to 'own up to supporting Fusion' and others with so many questions about the future of Fusion. We can only piece together pieces we hear from various sources to make sense of it all. Why don't we have someone from BMD on our side to explain all this to us (or at least a little bit)? How can they truly make Fusion a better piece of software without listening to it's current user base?

I just feel a little concerned given the mixture of feelings on this forum, the lack of official support, and what was said during the Fusion bit of the Live Press Conference. Is Fusion really heading in the best direction and does it have it's core users at the heart of it's decisions?

Adelson Munhoz

Re: Grant's Quote from 2018 NAB Live Press Conference

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 3:04 pm

For me the context of that affirmation could be like this:

"We made available the greatest and the best tools we have together, plus the flexibility to customize the workflow via scripting and see what happens, instead of guessing ou imposing a way of doing things"

The uses os Davinci / Fusion are so vast that almost every limited study could be biased, and therefore lead to design and project decisions that will favor some markets and/or workflows is detriment of others.

Now it's time of our feedback. Find the bugs, make suggestions, provide examples of how we use or intend to use Davinci / Fusion.

See: they released a 288 pages manual just to describe in details what has changed in Davinci (!).

No other company gets close to that. And no other company would put such ammount of effort whitout having the users in mind.

Adrian Niwa

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 3:57 pm

Adelson Munhoz wrote:See: they released a 288 pages manual just to describe in details what has changed in Davinci (!).

No other company gets close to that. And no other company would put such ammount of effort whitout having the users in mind.

Disagree. Maxon with their manuals for Cinema 4D are the ones to get 1st place in this race.

However I agree, that it's a lot of work and looks like BMD takes things seriously.
Manjaro / ASROCK X399 Taichi / AMD Threadripper 1920X / RTX 2060 / 32GB RAM DDR-4 / 4 X SSD drive / Fusion Studio / Resolve Studio
www.inox.vision

Andy Witkowski

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 3:58 pm

That is certainly a good way to look at it, Adelson. I guess I lean towards having a more powerful, dependable compositing application rather than an all-in-one. I feel that it adds a lot of "bloat" to someone who just wants to use Fusion. I don't want to open up a program with all these tabs for media, edit, fairlight, color, and fusion when all I need to do is get down to very fine, detailed compositing.

I think it's ok to have a "Fusion Jr." inside of Resolve, but there has to be a better, more powerful standalone version of Fusion (In my opinion).

I'd rather have an application that does one thing beautifully well (ie - 3d/2d compositing). So, while it's nice that Fusion is integrated into Resolve, I think they may have missed the mark for some of it's other users - compositors that would like the program improved upon (better OpenCL stability, added features/improvements to the 3D camera tracker, etc.). But those aren't the things that sell more dongles and get the "ooohs" and "ahhhs" so I get that. I might even be surprised since they are keeping the stand alone version for now and maybe they will improve in the areas I just mentioned. Who knows.

Chad Capeland

PostWed Apr 11, 2018 4:39 pm

Adelson Munhoz wrote:"instead of guessing ou imposing a way of doing things"

"Also, GUI is blue"
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Yannick Tholomier

PostThu Apr 12, 2018 12:49 am

Adelson Munhoz wrote:".... plus the flexibility to customize the workflow via scripting and see what happens...."

Are you sure Resolve have a script system?
I know Fusion page have lua/python script compatibility but does it can talk to Resolve?

Bryan Ray

PostThu Apr 12, 2018 12:54 am

It does. There's a primer on scripting for Resolve at We Suck Less, courtesy of Greg Bovine:
https://www.steakunderwater.com/wesuckl ... =35&t=2012

It's still rather Fusion-centric, but there's stuff in there about accessing the Media Pool.
Bryan Ray
http://www.bryanray.name
http://www.sidefx.com

Chad Capeland

PostThu Apr 12, 2018 1:10 am

Fortunately, it's fuscript, too. No reinventing the wheel.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Adelson Munhoz

PostThu Apr 12, 2018 1:17 am

Adrian Niwa wrote:Disagree. Maxon with their manuals for Cinema 4D are the ones to get 1st place in this race.

I was not talking about Resolve's manual. DaVinci 14 has a manual with 1340 pages - who knows how big the 15 version manual will be.

The manual I was talking about is the New Features Guide which has 288 pages explaining only the new stuff.

And let's remember: the DaVinci 14 was released in september of 2017, only 7 months ago.

The effort they put in the 15 version is remarkable.

That said, I must confess that I would like a clearer vision of the next steps of the standalone Fusion version.

Return to Fusion