audio mono to stereo

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

James Morton-Robertson

audio mono to stereo

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 2:35 pm

I use a mono mic in production but I want to bring in clips with the mono track copied to the second track to make it stereo. I can set clip attributes on single clips to select format = stereo; source channel = embedded channel 1 on left and right tracks and this works but only for a single clip. As I often have 100 plus clips, I want to be able to change the audio attribute as above but as a batch type operation. I have tried selecting all clips but the audio attribute is not changed. Am I missing something simple or is this a desirable change?
Both Edius and Media Composer have a single button to enable mono to stereo.
James Morton-Robertson

Byron Dickens

Re: audio mono to stereo

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 5:36 pm

Splitting a mono signal into two still leaves you with the same mono audio but on two tracks.

Stereo is the same source recorded from two different points.
DR 14.3 W10 Home. Core i7 3.4 GHz. 16GB RAM. Intel HD graphics 530.

Jim Simon

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 6:49 pm

I agree with Byron. Duplicating a mono signal won't make it stereo. What purpose do you have in mind for this?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Byron Dickens

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 10:08 pm

There are several ways to fake it. Some work better than others but none are totally convincing.

James Morton-Robertson

PostWed Apr 11, 2018 8:27 am

I want stereo on the output as listening to audio just coming out of one speaker would get me into trouble with my target audience[url][/url]
James Morton-Robertson

James Morton-Robertson

PostWed Apr 11, 2018 8:42 am

I should explain, my father's Hampden torpedo bomber crashed WW2 bomber was recovered from Russia in 1991. I filmed the first shots of the wreck with a Video 8 camcorder, in mono sound and SD
Since then, I have been returning to the conservation centre near Telford, UK where it is being restored back to manufacturer's spec. I have upgraded camcorders and now shoot on AVCHD withither builtin stereo mic but if windy or noisy in the workshop I use a directional mono mic. Now that's where my problem starts as I have to set the audio attribute of every clip separately and I have several hundred clips covering 1991 to the presen t dY. The objective is to make a documentary of. the restoration. I gues I could bite the bullet and buy a directional stereo mic if one exists. I was just trying to make the output come out of L R speakers as mono would be very distracting. My other underlying question was how to apply a clip att ribut e, in this case Audio, over a selction of clips by pasting the attribute but it doesn't work with an altered audio attribute....unless someone can tell me where I'm going wrong
Thanks
James Morton-Robertson

Reynaud Venter

PostWed Apr 11, 2018 9:39 am

amplix wrote:I have tried selecting all clips but the audio attribute is not changed. Am I missing something simple or is this a desirable change?
Where are you performing this action, and which version of Resolve are you running?

Select all the mono source media in the Media Pool, and define Clip Attributes first before dragging to the Timeline.

With 15b1 you can also perform this action on the Timeline, by selecting all mono audio clips and applying Clip Attributes for all selected Audio Clips individually.

Clip Atrributes.png
Clip Atrributes.png (49.12 KiB) Viewed 7583 times
⟦ Mac Pro 7,1 Rack ⊕ 16-core 3.2GHz ⊕ 32GB RAM ⊕ Radeon 580X • Resolve Studio 18.6.6 • macOS 14.3.1 ⟧
⟦ Fairlight Studio Console ⊕ Fairlight Audio Accelerator ⊕ Merging Hapi • Anubis • Ravenna CoreAudio VAD ⟧

Ulysses Paiva

PostWed Apr 11, 2018 11:27 am

amplix wrote:I want stereo on the output as listening to audio just coming out of one speaker would get me into trouble with my target audience[url][/url]

Amplix, just change your track type from stereo to mono and you will have both speakers monitoring.
Ulysses Paiva

Byron Dickens

PostWed Apr 11, 2018 12:00 pm

Wow. That sounds like a really cool project.

As far as the audio, there is no way to turn mono into true stereo. I think the confusion arises in that (at least in V14) the audio tracks default to stereo and when you put a mono track in, it only comes out of one side. You have to create a new empty mono track and drag your audio onto it. Then you will have a mono track coming out of both speakers.

You can then process it with stereo reverb and eq. That should give you much more natural results.

James Morton-Robertson

PostWed Apr 11, 2018 1:06 pm

Thank you to all who have given me guidance. May my final documentary hit the spot.
James Morton-Robertson

Jim Simon

PostWed Apr 11, 2018 4:33 pm

amplix wrote:I want stereo on the output as listening to audio just coming out of one speaker would get me into trouble with my target audience[url][/url]

Mono will by default come out of both speakers. If you have the signal coming out of only the left or right, that's not mono. It's a stereo clip with one channel empty. There's a difference.

You can correct this in the Clip Attributes.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Return to DaVinci Resolve