2K Horror Adaptation

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

KyleMcConaghy

2K Horror Adaptation

PostThu Mar 28, 2013 2:42 pm

Hi, everyone - I just completed a horror short that was filmed using 2.5k RAW and edited in a 2K timeline with FCPX and Resolve. Would love to hear your thoughts! Thanks! Kyle

sean mclennan

Re: 2K Horror Adaptation

PostThu Mar 28, 2013 3:27 pm

Footage looks good! What lenses did you use?

KyleMcConaghy

PostThu Mar 28, 2013 3:42 pm

Thanks so much, Sean! I used a Rokinon 35mm Cine lens for 60+% of the footage. A Rokinon 14mm Cine, Canon 100mm macro and Canon 16-35 were also used.

Bill Rich

PostThu Mar 28, 2013 4:34 pm

Nice job! great use of audio and music stings (effects) I have the 14mm rokinon cine lens as well and found that when shooting something a distance away such as a scenic landscape or city skyline.. it's nice and sharp.. but when shooting someone closer up it loses it' sharpness and detail.. it might be connected to the aperture.. but it's a weird lens.. it's very well made.. but it's finicky.
Bill Rich
PhotoJournalist/Editor/Producer
Los Angeles, California

Thomas Schumacher

PostThu Mar 28, 2013 5:21 pm

Wow. That is really a great short one in all aspects.
https://www.gernemehrfilm.de/

Steve Lee Jean

PostThu Mar 28, 2013 5:40 pm

You know, the BMCC is really changing my mind on how the Rokinon/Samyang lenses can resolve on the big screen. I loved them for their budget friendly niche, but I disliked them for big screen work cause everything I did was full hd up rezzed to 2k and they looked soft. But they are resolving great on the BMCC. the Camera itself is quite sharp so the lenses are balancing out quite nicely.
Director/Writer
Busan, South Korea + Los Angeles, CA

Remo Pini

PostThu Mar 28, 2013 5:53 pm

Technology aside, it's a really cool idea :)
Director | Line Producer | https://grayeminence.ch

Zack Wilson

PostThu Mar 28, 2013 6:15 pm

innerspark wrote:You know, the BMCC is really changing my mind on how the Rokinon/Samyang lenses can resolve on the big screen. I loved them for their budget friendly niche, but I disliked them for big screen work cause everything I did was full hd up rezzed to 2k and they looked soft. But they are resolving great on the BMCC. the Camera itself is quite sharp so the lenses are balancing out quite nicely.

I think this is because of the BMCC crop factor. The Rokinon lenses tend to be the most sharp in the center, which is the sweet spot for the BMCC crop.

KyleMcConaghy

PostThu Mar 28, 2013 10:02 pm

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. I'm also torn on whether or not to buy the Rokinon 14mm cine. It worked okay for this piece, but I wonder how it will translate to other cams. I am definitely liking the 35mm, though.

Paulo M. de Andrade

PostSat Mar 30, 2013 1:31 am

Great job, Kyle! One of the best BMCC films I've seen so far.

Edgar Matos (Rocket)

PostSat Mar 30, 2013 9:11 am

* clap clap * Nicely done.

I'm jealous of you who already got the BMCC. I wish to use one of them for the short I have to shoot in the next weeks... :cry:

KyleMcConaghy

PostSat Mar 30, 2013 10:13 pm

Thank you, Paulo and Rocket!

Rocket - Where do you live? Seems like a lot of folks are renting them out.

Edgar Matos (Rocket)

PostSun Mar 31, 2013 2:22 am

Well kyle, I'm currently living in manhattan. I though about renting the BMCC with some proper cine glass, or use my current 5D mark iii and spend the money to buy equipment, which would be use to make other works. AAHHh! decitions! Where can I get a money tree?

rick.lang

PostSun Mar 31, 2013 3:27 am

Rocket wrote:Where can I get a money tree?

You put out a product telling everyone about the exceptionally great features it has (while ignoring all shortcomings) and brand it C****. Then you do that again at least every six months and the tree just grows bigger and bigger.

I know that's uncharacteristically negative post from me. Hope I'm allowed one a year. Earlier today I was on some well known DSLR forums regarding video and I was taken aback by the level of questions and advice given in the forum. I didn't have the heart to post anything though as I couldn't bring myself to suggest they look at the BMCC or read this forum. I would have seemed like a religious zealot crying in the wilderness. Better to scurry back to this forum where the level of questions and answers are like revelations every day. It's done a lot to change my view of many things including how to make a moving picture but much more. Thank you everyone!

Rick Lang
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

Return to Cinematography