I want to record a two camera feed - please help

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

new_user

I want to record a two camera feed - please help

PostTue May 15, 2018 12:03 am

Hello,
I would like to send two 4k camera feeds into one unit (via SDI 6G).
I will also be sending a stereo analog audio feed (via XLR or TRS) to this same unit so that it may be coupled in real time with the video feeds.
And that unit would then send the two, discreet video feeds and the audio channels to a (2018) Mac Mini.

Would a DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G serve this function? And if so, could I expect it to run in a PCI-e external enclosure that is connected to the Mac Mini with a thunderbolt 2 cable?

Lastly - if this would all work, what software do you recommend to capture these sources? Note: I will not be switching or broadcasting during the recording, just doing a multi-camera capture with audio to eventually be post-produced.
Thanks in advance!

Kevin McGrath

Re: I want to record a two camera feed - please help

PostWed May 16, 2018 10:21 am

If you just trying to capture your camera feeds. Do it simple and don’t overthink it

Just record it with the two cameras and drop the decklink card idea since you just doing it in post anyway

Take the audio out of one camera feed it into the second camera so you have same audio on both cameras
If you have timecode out on one camera feed that into the second camera
Atem tvs , studio converter 4 camera converters, hyperdeck,40x40 videohub. Master control, jvc gy hm700 &170 Jvc gy hm 150 Panasonic aw he50 aw he 2
Panasonic hpx 300. Panasonic hpx 2000 Sony pdw 350 Panasonic HPD24

new_user

PostWed May 16, 2018 6:16 pm

My caveat is that I am doing this all remotely (like, 3000-miles-away remotely), so recording locally to the cameras is not an option. Essentially it seems I am looking for a way for one computer to record two simultaneous video streams (and an audio stream). I was shooting for 4K but that seems to make things infinitely more complicated so I am now going to shoot at 1080.
My plan now is to use a Decklink Duo 2 with two Media Express windows recording each video feed. The audio will be coupled with each individual feed so each video feed will have embedded audio (for easier sync'ing later).
Any thoughts on this?

Andrew Martin

PostFri May 18, 2018 9:02 pm

Can you run two differing instances of media express on the same machine ??

Media looks direct take software can simultaneously record a no of recordings, dependant of course on the abilities of the hardware it's running on, and is known to work with BMD hardware, just like the decklink duo.

new_user

PostFri May 18, 2018 11:41 pm

Looks like Medialooks can at least record multiple screens in the same app (unlike ME which uses multiple but separate windows). Thanks!

zamakli

PostSat May 19, 2018 2:12 am

You may figure out, or perhaps already have, there is an issue with adjusting the advanced settings when using two C920's. As you discovered towards the end of the video, it is possible to adjust these settings, and in the example video of yours they appear fine. However, it is not possible to adjust the settings independently.

TPrairie

PostSat Jan 12, 2019 2:22 am

Craig, I have the same question as your initial one. How did that work out for you? I need to record two sources at the same time as well, hopefully on the same PC. Can you open Media Express twice (two windows simultaneously) and record two separate SDI sources using the Decklink Duo?
Thanks! -Tim

pgonzalez

PostWed May 01, 2019 4:40 pm

Ditto to Tim's update. Old thread...but hoping someone has an answer.

Is there a way to synchronize recording start times with multiple instances of Media Express?

Return to Live Production