MediaIn node does not pass through Stereoscopic 3D

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Tom_VR

MediaIn node does not pass through Stereoscopic 3D

PostFri Jun 22, 2018 7:09 pm

Fusion has some of the best and most affordable stereoscopic cleanup tools available. Now combined in 15 as an editorial / vfx / color package it seems like it would great tool for doing online and stereo cleanup.

Unfortunately it seems the MediaIn & MediaOut nodes do not expose left and right outputs from a stereoscopic clip. This means clips have to be manually brought in and frame matched, then converted to side by side or under/over. This combined output of the comp would not longer be a native stereoscopic clip, and then lose the option of using the stereoscopic tools in the Color tab and export.

Seems odd that Fusion, which before BMD's purchase was the lead stereoscopic conversion and vfx package, would be linked with DaVinci Resolve, which also has a stereoscopic pipeline, but have it fundamentally broken with-in the software.

While this may not be relevant anymore, save for IMAX 3D productions that are still being shot native, this also breaks the pipeline for stereoscopic 3D footage, which makes Fusion's VR toolset also broken when working with 3D-360 or 3D-180 footage.

Seems like an important thing to fix before the final release.

Tom_VR

Re: MediaIn node does not pass through Stereoscopic 3D

PostSat Jul 21, 2018 9:32 pm

no interest?

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Jul 25, 2018 5:09 am

Not that there is no interest, but based on the feedback here you can see its not a prime issue so its further down the list to review.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

George Leon

PostMon Jan 04, 2021 5:58 pm

Hitting this hard as well. I work in traditional 2 camera s3d a lot, and trying to figure out a way to combine Fusion (for greenscreening and deeper FX work) with native Resolve stereo clips (for its simple rotation/translation based automatic stereo alignment and stereo-aware grading).

Fusion seems to only support Disparity-based alignment, which is synthetic and causes artifacts on the footage I've tried it on. The simple rotation/translation alignment offered in the Resolve 3D palette is all I need, and it's artifact-free and much faster to process.

I think the cleanest way is to have additional Fusion input/output nodes for the Resolve right-eye view, so that Resolve stereo clips can transparently pass through the Fusion pipeline and get passed to Color as native stereo clips again. I'm a programmer, and I can't see this being a major effort as only the right-eye node IO types need to be implemented (populated only with Resolve stereo clips), everything else should work as before.

EDIT: ... or the standard IO nodes could have another pin specifically for the right-eye view.
Last edited by George Leon on Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.

George Leon

PostMon Jan 04, 2021 6:06 pm

The other solution would be to support side-by-side or over-under stacked 3D formats as native stereo clips in Resolve. That would make it possible to pass them in and out of Fusion that way.

I would like to see those stereo layout formats supported anyway as that would make importing stereo footage that is often stored like that possible.

I personally prefer to render side-by-side stacked in other software, as it's easy to compare (guaranteed synchronised) views in simple media players, and have them safely bundled in a single file with less room for user error during later rework. Not being able to import these stacked layouts into Resolve as stereo clips is a pain.

In general I'm surprised that Resolve is so inflexible in its stereo format handling.

anoopck@1

PostMon Aug 08, 2022 8:23 pm

Sir its a time consuming process to manually add in considerably 100-150 stereo shots from camera into fusion.
I hope the solution for this issue will be implemented soon.

At least, Stereo clips as Two MediaIn in Fusion. Could be implemented.
Config
CPU: Intel Dual Xeon E5-2670
Workstation: HP Z820
Graphics: Nvidia Quadro K5200
Ram: 96 Gb

enriquecriado

PostFri Dec 09, 2022 4:15 pm

Hi,

Same here, waiting years for that to be implemented. No luck yet...

Best,
Enrique

George Leon

PostFri Dec 09, 2022 5:19 pm

What baffles me about BM's lack of concern on this is, isn't stereo used in Hollywood anymore?

Please BM consider adding the relatively simple glue between native stereoscopic clips and Fusion.

And also please implement the choice with native clips of which clip the audio is taken from (this currently defaults to one of them, I forget which, and cannot be changed). this is a major problem when the best/only audio is on the other clip.

niverik2k

PostMon Sep 18, 2023 1:20 pm

I wish there was better stereoscopi integration for fusion and resolve as well. I have been waiting for 5 years for improvement... Even just a way to export fusioncomps as stereoscopic footage that works with the rest of the software.

Return to DaVinci Resolve