4.6K Turret for Original Ursa Owners?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

David Hessel

Re: 4.6K Turret for Original Ursa Owners?

PostMon Apr 30, 2018 2:11 am

Ben Mart wrote:Nay sayers abound but pls check out the pinned thread by Grant and his statement, bitches.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Do you honestly believe the turret is still coming or was this an attempt at sarcasm?
David Hessel

Ben Mart

PostMon May 14, 2018 8:17 am

Micheal - must've hit a nerve...lol I see this thread as promoting the ursa getting a turret, it's a brilliant camera and really can't fault it. I think "certain" people who comment about it don't own a ursa and are just gloating.

David - no sarcasm, I've got no reason not to believe BMD saying 'they are working on it.' They have stated they are problems but the boffins are working on it. Obviously it's not top priority as seen with the 30 odd products coming out since the statement but that's biz. With a full range of cameras now including pocket 4k maybe they can allocate more resources to it while the pocket4k cash cow gets milked. As stated in other comments no one believed that the 4k pocket was coming.

I would be concerned if they came out with a new ursa mini sensor think that would be the nail in the coffin.

BMD always said they want the same os in each camera so not sure how that will work with 3 screens but probably not the hardest thing to figure out.

Best outcome would be a range of sensor turrets - the 4.6k, pocket4k, broadcast so we can match them with other cameras we are using or when working alongside other camerapersons with BMD cameras. Or just the 4.6k turret.

I could be completely wrong and we (ursa major owners) have all been shafted with a extended monopod...but don't see BMD to be that sort of company they haven't given me a reason not to believe otherwise...apart from the pr blackout and think that's down to bad pr choices. Until they say, I will give them the benefit of doubt.

The ursa is still earning me money, 4k is going to be around for awhile - extra couple of stops of dr would be nice but my clients don't ask for that, so can't really complain either way.

robertmanningjr

PostSat May 26, 2018 12:59 pm

Gene Kochanowsky wrote:Sorry marc, I didn't mean to call you crazy, I meant to imply that your behavior was crazy. But hey, carry on. Continue posting the same message over and over again and getting no response. A perfectly sane thing to do. Knock yourself out.

I would suggest you troll somewhere else. As was stated previously, "You have no skin in the game." So it seems you just visit this post to insult people.
Rob

AMD Ryzen 9 3950X 16-Core
128GB DDR4 RAM
NVIDIA RTX 3080 Ti 12GB
Windows 11 Pro
Davinci Resolve 17 Studio

MacBook Pro
Apple M1, 2020
Memory 16GB
1TB SSD

robertmanningjr

PostSat May 26, 2018 1:01 pm

RaviRajah wrote:Shipping my URSA back to BM today along with original invoice and a letter requesting a full refund or replacement as the goods purchased were not as advertised.

2875 Bayview Drive Fremont, CA 94538. Att: DAN MAY

Did you get the same response I did?
Rob

128GB DDR4 RAM
NVIDIA RTX 3080 Ti 12GB
Windows 11 Pro

MacBook Pro
Apple M1, 2020
Memory 16GB
1TB SSD

Gene Kochanowsky

PostSat May 26, 2018 1:50 pm

robertmanningjr wrote:
Gene Kochanowsky wrote:Sorry marc, I didn't mean to call you crazy, I meant to imply that your behavior was crazy. But hey, carry on. Continue posting the same message over and over again and getting no response. A perfectly sane thing to do. Knock yourself out.

I would suggest you troll somewhere else. As was stated previously, "You have no skin in the game." So it seems you just visit this post to insult people.

You're right, I do not own an Ursa. I did consider it when I could get one for $500, but it was a PL mount and I don't own any PL lenses, and it is such a heavy, heavy camera.

I am not here to insult people. This thread is an attractive nuisance. BM does not respond, people make all sorts of outlandish threats and demands. The camera is discontinued. BM never in the history of the camera offered turrets of any kind for sale. They did promise a 4.6K turret but that has dropped out of sight. Except for the few diehards that post in this thread from time to time, no one appears to care. I have yet to see a recent interview with BM with even a mention of the turret.

BM has moved on dude. Maybe you should do the same.

In any case telling people they can't post in a thread and calling them trolls is rather trollish. If you don't like the facts on the ground don't shoot the messenger.

robertmanningjr

PostTue May 29, 2018 2:25 pm

Gene Kochanowsky wrote:
robertmanningjr wrote:

You're right, I do not own an Ursa. I did consider it when I could get one for $500, but it was a PL mount and I don't own any PL lenses, and it is such a heavy, heavy camera.

I am not here to insult people. This thread is an attractive nuisance. BM does not respond, people make all sorts of outlandish threats and demands. The camera is discontinued. BM never in the history of the camera offered turrets of any kind for sale. They did promise a 4.6K turret but that has dropped out of sight. Except for the few diehards that post in this thread from time to time, no one appears to care. I have yet to see a recent interview with BM with even a mention of the turret.

BM has moved on dude. Maybe you should do the same.

In any case telling people they can't post in a thread and calling them trolls is rather trollish. If you don't like the facts on the ground don't shoot the messenger.

You admitting what we already know is not necessary. You assuming that I haven't moved on is wrong, because I moved on a long time ago. I've already asked for my money back, but again, your limited knowledge on the subject wouldn't make you privy to that information.

And you are insulting people as has been stated by others, and that by definition is trolling since you have no material interest. You can continue to insult people and no one is stopping you. I'm just suggestion a mature way to proceed. It is absolutely your choice to continue your behavior. Have fun.
Rob

128GB DDR4 RAM
NVIDIA RTX 3080 Ti 12GB
Windows 11 Pro

MacBook Pro
Apple M1, 2020
Memory 16GB
1TB SSD

Ben Mart

PostWed May 30, 2018 7:15 pm

@BMD

It's nearly been a year since the last statement on the current state of the turret process.

Please can you be the company that I know your are and inform us what the situation is? Either way, isn't it the morally right thing to do?

Ta.

thomasthaulow

PostThu Jun 21, 2018 9:15 pm

Was emailed today from B&H Photo Video, saying that:

Dear Customer
Thank you for your interest in the following item:

Blackmagic Design URSA 4.6K Turret (Active EF Mount)
(B&H # BLURSAT46KEF)

You are receiving this message because you asked to be notified when this item becomes available. We regret to inform you that this item has unfortunately been discontinued. Please check back on our website for similar or possible replacement items.

We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding.
Product Availability Update
Blackmagic Design

B&H # BLURSAT46KEF
URSA 4.6K Turret (Active EF Mount)

Thank you,
The B&H Web Team

You can see the product being discontinued here:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... ctive.html

Looks like its the nail in the coffin?

Johannes Jonsson

PostSat Jun 23, 2018 5:06 pm

thomasthaulow wrote:Was emailed today from B&H Photo Video, saying that:

Dear Customer
Thank you for your interest in the following item:

Blackmagic Design URSA 4.6K Turret (Active EF Mount)
(B&H # BLURSAT46KEF)

You are receiving this message because you asked to be notified when this item becomes available. We regret to inform you that this item has unfortunately been discontinued. Please check back on our website for similar or possible replacement items.

We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding.
Product Availability Update
Blackmagic Design

B&H # BLURSAT46KEF
URSA 4.6K Turret (Active EF Mount)

Thank you,
The B&H Web Team

You can see the product being discontinued here:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... ctive.html

Looks like its the nail in the coffin?

Same here :(
Johannes

Asok Kumar

PostWed Jun 27, 2018 12:50 am

Sony Venice has this feature of inter changeable turret and fully configurated would weigh more than Ursa,so these are not the issue with black magic design!!!

Gene Kochanowsky

PostWed Jun 27, 2018 3:57 am

Asok Kumar wrote:Sony Venice has this feature of inter changeable turret and fully configurated would weigh more than Ursa,so these are not the issue with black magic design!!!

Not really, the camera can be separated into two parts where the front part can be place close to another Venice front part for 3D filming. The producers of Avatar requested that mode. There is no turret, just this detachable front part to be connected to the back part by 30m of cable.

Rakesh Malik

PostWed Jun 27, 2018 4:20 am

Gene Kochanowsky wrote:
Asok Kumar wrote:Sony Venice has this feature of inter changeable turret and fully configurated would weigh more than Ursa,so these are not the issue with black magic design!!!

Not really, the camera can be separated into two parts where the front part can be place close to another Venice front part for 3D filming. The producers of Avatar requested that mode. There is no turret, just this detachable front part to be connected to the back part by 30m of cable.

Actually, you're both sort of right.

The remote head variant is due to James Cameron's request, but the Venice does have a user-upgradable sensor in it. And it's surprisingly small and lightweight. It's not much bigger than a Red DSMC2 body, slightly smaller than an Ursa Mini.
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
Asus Flow X13, Octacore Zen3/32GB + XG Mobile nVidia RTX 3080/16GB
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

Gene Kochanowsky

PostWed Jun 27, 2018 10:33 am

Rakesh Malik wrote:Actually, you're both sort of right.

The remote head variant is due to James Cameron's request, but the Venice does have a user-upgradable sensor in it. And it's surprisingly small and lightweight. It's not much bigger than a Red DSMC2 body, slightly smaller than an Ursa Mini.

Is this a redux of the BM fiasco? Do they actually sell turrets for the camera other than the one it comes with?

robert Hart

PostWed Jun 27, 2018 4:49 pm

The time is drawing nigh for the first anniversary of Grant Petty's post about the 4.6K turret. It will be interesting to see what transpires on July 10 2018.

My guess is the 4.6K version will be history.

I wonder if they might re-examine the most recent iteration of the original sensor apparently rated now at 300fps. It may no longer play nice with the same downstream processing chipsets of the "big" URSA or its operating system but who knows?

The likely customer base for an upgrade would probably be too small to justify R&D time.

Gene Kochanowsky

PostWed Jun 27, 2018 5:09 pm

robert Hart wrote:The time is drawing nigh for the first anniversary of Grant Petty's post about the 4.6K turret. It will be interesting to see what transpires on July 10 2018.

Not so sure how interesting BM doing absolutely nothing will be.

RaviRajah

PostThu Jun 28, 2018 9:13 am

bh.PNG
bh.PNG (103.52 KiB) Viewed 17904 times
Just got an email product update notification from BH

The turret has been officially discounted as per Blackmagic

Denny Smith

PostThu Jun 28, 2018 4:51 pm

The Ursa was a grand experiment, but it was a commercial failure, with too small a market to support the volume of sales, keeping it upgraded would require. But, it was successful, in that it led to the development of the highly successful Ursa Mini line, which was a maret success. Time to move on... ;)
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Asok Kumar

PostMon Jul 09, 2018 1:42 am

I dont think that ursa 4k is a commersial failure,as hundreds of peoples r looking for ursa new turret

Denny Smith

PostMon Jul 09, 2018 1:53 am

What I meant was, BM did not sell as many as they though they would, far fewer than any of their other cameras. This made developing a new sensor turret not as economically viable for just a few hundred sales.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Gene Kochanowsky

PostMon Jul 09, 2018 3:42 am

Asok Kumar wrote:I dont think that ursa 4k is a commersial failure,as hundreds of peoples r looking for ursa new turret

Your opinion on the commercial viability of Ursa and the turret is not the one that matters, it's BM's opinion that matters and they have officially discontinued both.

Rakesh Malik

PostMon Jul 09, 2018 4:08 pm

Gene Kochanowsky wrote:Is this a redux of the BM fiasco? Do they actually sell turrets for the camera other than the one it comes with?

No, and no. There isn't another sensor available for the Venice yet, but it's not a fiasco because the Venice has only been shipping for a few months, and Sony hasn't given any timetables for when a new sensor might be available since the camera is brand new.
Rakesh Malik
System:
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

Rakesh Malik

PostMon Jul 09, 2018 4:20 pm

Asok Kumar wrote:I dont think that ursa 4k is a commersial failure,as hundreds of peoples r looking for ursa new turret

For BMD that's nowhere near a success. And it's unlikely that there even a couple of hundred people who are still awaiting turrets, since BMD gave Ursa buyers a nice deal on UM 4.6Ks.
Rakesh Malik
System:
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

rick.lang

PostMon Jul 09, 2018 10:17 pm

Even though they no longer seem to be able to keep to their own published timelines, I always admired Intel’s tick-tock roadmap of processors and chips. Can you imagine any camera vendor being able to predict now one or more future generations of a given camera’s sensor? Think about it. Sony is already following BMD’s storyline by committing to a future sensor upgrade for a current flagship camera without specificity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Gene Kochanowsky

PostMon Jul 09, 2018 11:35 pm

rick.lang wrote:Even though they no longer seem to be able to keep to their own published timelines, I always admired Intel’s tick-tock roadmap of processors and chips. Can you imagine any camera vendor being able to predict now one or more future generations of a given camera’s sensor? Think about it. Sony is already following BMD’s storyline by committing to a future sensor upgrade for a current flagship camera without specificity.

Yeah Rick, it's like they got it backwards. Designing a camera today to work with an unknown future sensor which will most likely require considerable excess functionality that current customers have to pay for but will not pay off until the new sensor is released is nuts. What they should be doing is saying the sensor on the current body will work with future bodies. That is a much less riskier thing to do and doesn't ask customers to pay for functionality they may never use. Sort of like lenses. An older lens will work on a newer body but a newer lens may not work on an older body.

Gavin_c_clark

PostTue Jul 10, 2018 10:26 am

It’s been a whole year since Grants announcement thanking us for our patience - is there another annual update on the ursa turret project blackmagic?

Ps before anyone jumps in I fully realise it has a next to zero chance of ever being spoken of again but I’m still going to ask out of principle at this stage

Rakesh Malik

PostTue Jul 10, 2018 4:34 pm

rick.lang wrote:Even though they no longer seem to be able to keep to their own published timelines, I always admired Intel’s tick-tock roadmap of processors and chips. Can you imagine any camera vendor being able to predict now one or more future generations of a given camera’s sensor? Think about it. Sony is already following BMD’s storyline by committing to a future sensor upgrade for a current flagship camera without specificity.

Both are following in the footsteps of Red and Panasonic, actually. Red required you to send your camera in to get the sensor upgraded, and Panasonic built the sensor into a detachable head and offered one head with a super 35 4K sensor, and one head designed for high frame rates, but IIRC limited to HD resolution.

When you look at what companies have pulled it off though, it just goes to show that it's not an easy thing to accomplish. It took Red several years to get a second sensor ready, and Panasonic and Sony have been making cameras for a LOT longer than BMD has.

If the Ursa had sold better, the turret would probably be shipping by now though.
Rakesh Malik
System:
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

Rakesh Malik

PostTue Jul 10, 2018 4:47 pm

Gene Kochanowsky wrote:Yeah Rick, it's like they got it backwards. Designing a camera today to work with an unknown future sensor which will most likely require considerable excess functionality that current customers have to pay for but will not pay off until the new sensor is released is nuts.

I don't agree with that.

What they should be doing is saying the sensor on the current body will work with future bodies. That is a much less riskier

Also much less useful, since you'd need a new sensor in order to add features like higher frame rates that you wouldn't be able to offer simply by upgrading the camera's processor.

thing to do and doesn't ask customers to pay for functionality they may never use. Sort of like lenses. An older lens will work on a newer body but a newer lens may not work on an older body.

Besides, computing power these days is cheap. Sensors aren't, and neither are the people who develop the sensors and the software that goes with them.
Rakesh Malik
System:
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

Denny Smith

PostTue Jul 10, 2018 6:25 pm

Also much less useful, since you'd need a new sensor in order to add features like higher frame rates that you wouldn't be able to offer simply by upgrading the camera's processor.

Actually, Panasonic did this with the AF100A, which had an upgraded processor in the same body/sensor of the AF100 that added 1080p60 recording and the ability to output 1080p60 via the HDMI output. So sensor frame rates was increased. Also BM did the same with the Pocket S16 sensor, putting it into a new body, with better cooling and improved video processor to get 1080p60 recording and output in the Micro Cinema camera.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Gene Kochanowsky

PostTue Jul 10, 2018 9:15 pm

Rakesh Malik wrote:Also much less useful, since you'd need a new sensor in order to add features like higher frame rates that you wouldn't be able to offer simply by upgrading the camera's processor.

That is my point. You build a camera today, using higher capacity parts that are usually in the upper tier of performance ratings, and those parts tend to be more expensive and in some cases harder to get. But you put them in a camera you are building today, with a sensor you are buying today, that doesn't need the higher specified parts. Yet you pay for it and get no benefit until maybe a new sensor comes out and you hope that you did a good enough job of over specifying the parts so that it will work with a camera you developed before the new sensor even existed.

That is crazy.

People are expecting significant jumps in the number of photosites, improvements in speed, additions or improvements that are sensor based for focusing or other image based tasks and you may not even know what they might be when you design the camera. New sensors are often doubling the resources needed by current sensors for just the next generation sensor, let alone the generation after that.

It would be one thing if sensor technology had plateaued out, but that doesn't appear to be happening. Predicting the future in the form of a camera body is a crazy thing to do. Just look at cameras as little as five years ago as compared today.

Sorry guys, this is the computer industry all over again. If you think you can buy a professional camera and use it for ten, twenty years, those days are gone. They went away when film went away. You are now in the tech world, not the film world.

rick.lang

PostWed Jul 11, 2018 4:38 am

Cameras from yesterday that are simple last as long as the film they need is available. Cameras today last as long as one of millions of transistors has not failed. The life of the simple camera is measured in several decades. The life of complex cameras might be several years but not likely exceeding single digits. My 16mm camera is likely older than I am and works. My URSA Mini will be a museum paperweight when my internal circuits short.

Rick Lang

Rakesh Malik

PostWed Jul 11, 2018 4:50 pm

Gene Kochanowsky wrote:That is my point. You build a camera today, using higher capacity parts that are usually in the upper tier of performance ratings, and those parts tend to be more expensive and in some cases harder to get. But you put them in a camera you are building today, with a sensor you are buying today, that doesn't need the higher specified parts.

The flaw with your point is that the cost of the extra computing power and data bandwidth to provide for an upgraded sensor with higher frame rates or resolution or some combination thereof is trivial compared to the effort of writing the new firmware and implementing updated color science.

The color science and image processing take engineering talent and imaging knowledge, plus the effort of making the necessary measurements and then write the code.

Making a camera with a sensor that the user an upgrade adds a significant manufacturing and design cost compared to an all-in-one design.

It would be one thing if sensor technology had plateaued out, but that doesn't appear to be happening. Predicting the future in the form of a camera body is a crazy thing to do. Just look at cameras as little as five years ago as compared today.

Sorry guys, this is the computer industry all over again. If you think you can buy a professional camera and use it for ten, twenty years, those days are gone. They went away when film went away. You are now in the tech world, not the film world.

To your point though, Red is actually a perfect example. It pushed the "Obsolescence obsolete" mantra for a long time. And for a while, it actually worked; Red was able to take a customers camera, replace some internal parts along with the sensor, and send back an upgraded camera. So if you had an Epic-X you could send it in to have it converted to an Epic Dragon for the difference in price. So the customer saved money by upgrading instead of buying new, and everyone thought it was great...

... until Red introduced the DSMC2, which has an entirely new body, new electronics, new I/O buses both internal and external, and even updated ventilation.

So for a period, Red took DSMC cameras in trade toward DSMC2 cameras at a relatively high value given how old some of the DSMC cameras being traded in were.

It cost Red a lot of money to do this; obviously this is part of why a Scarlet-W costs so much more than an Ursa Mini 4.6K.
Rakesh Malik
System:
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

alexgreen

PostFri Jul 13, 2018 8:13 pm

I wonder which response this is...

At least here in Europe every URSA owner should be able to return to the dealer and getting back the full price. I would suggest every owner to do that!

robertmanningjr wrote:
RaviRajah wrote:Shipping my URSA back to BM today along with original invoice and a letter requesting a full refund or replacement as the goods purchased were not as advertised.

2875 Bayview Drive Fremont, CA 94538. Att: DAN MAY

Did you get the same response I did?

Gene Kochanowsky

PostSat Jul 14, 2018 1:19 am

alexgreen wrote:At least here in Europe every URSA owner should be able to return to the dealer and getting back the full price. I would suggest every owner to do that!

Has anyone been successful?

robertmanningjr

PostWed Jul 25, 2018 1:05 pm

RaviRajah wrote:
bh.PNG
Just got an email product update notification from BH

The turret has been officially discounted as per Blackmagic

New York State's consumer protection contacted Blackmagicdesign last year on my behalf. Blackmagic's response was to the effect 'as we've explained to Robert, we're working on it'. The actual response is on this thread somewhere. Consumer protection suggested I go the legal route to get my money back. Blackmagic advertised the URSA with a interchangeable mount. They showed samples of the 4.6k URSA and sample footage. That is when I bought my URSA 4k, knowing I could upgrade to the 4.6k sensor which was valuable to me. It said on the box, I have to look again, something to the effect of world's first upgradeable sensor.

All of this amounts to everyone getting their money back if they return the camera, BUT the catch is the legal route. Blackmagic should just offer this service to current URSA owners. There aren't a lot of us out there and some of us don't even want to return our camera. I think that would be the smart way to go. The longer Blackmagic drags this out and if a suit does arise, it will cost them more money in the end. I think it's more financially and morally responsible to just offer owners their money back if they want it.

I love my URSA and I'd be lying if I said I didn't want the 4.6k sensor in my URSA. I would then use my URSA more than my URSA 4.6k mini or at least as much. I am an optimist by heart, but their has been no indication to support the sensor EVER happening. And yes, I did do the upgrade. Not for the mini (great camera, it's just that the big URSA fits what I do for work), but for the sensor.

I am hopeful that Blackmagic will or will be forced to address the problem head on. I think they were hoping this would go away, but from all the posts, it's not and that's a good for URSA owners. Again, I'm buried in work right now, but as soon as work lets up in August, I am going to request my money back again. Their response will determine how I immediately move forward since I'm sure their is a statute of limitations on this thing (Maybe someone with legal expertise can chime in on that).

Robert Manning, Jr.
Rob

128GB DDR4 RAM
NVIDIA RTX 3080 Ti 12GB
Windows 11 Pro

MacBook Pro
Apple M1, 2020
Memory 16GB
1TB SSD

PpMarchena

PostWed Aug 01, 2018 6:29 am

Not even a rumour? A little sad rumour from anybody?
It's unbeliavable the silence. It shows disrespect.

Pepe
Ursa V1 in Peru.

Denny Smith

PostWed Aug 01, 2018 4:28 pm

You are “kicking a dead horse” here mate, time to move on... :roll:
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

robertmanningjr

PostMon Sep 10, 2018 3:15 pm

I needed to vent about the ridiculousness on this horrible situation.
Rob

128GB DDR4 RAM
NVIDIA RTX 3080 Ti 12GB
Windows 11 Pro

MacBook Pro
Apple M1, 2020
Memory 16GB
1TB SSD

Johannes Jonsson

PostSat Sep 15, 2018 11:52 am

At least give me the new BRAW codec into this camera please
Johannes

Gavin_c_clark

PostSat Sep 15, 2018 12:18 pm

As much as I’d gladly accept anything as an upgrade, I can’t imagine that they would spend a penny on a camera they no longer sell and haven’t updated for nearly three years.

Please feel free to prove me wrong blackmagic. Or re-instate the offer to upgrade to mini pro. Or just carry on ignoring your loyal customers safe in the knowledge there really isn’t much competition at the price point.

The raw and the pocket do look awesome though

Gavin_c_clark

PostSat Sep 15, 2018 12:31 pm

Actually almost three and a half years since any software updates

Robert Niessner

PostSat Sep 15, 2018 2:40 pm

robertmanningjr wrote:I needed to vent about the ridiculousness on this horrible situation.

Nice rant Rob, had a few good laughs :-)
Always cool to see and hear people you know just from forum postings in "real life".

And sometimes you got a little bit "touchy" to your camera ;-)
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
--------------------------------
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

Andreas Caemmerer

PostSat Sep 15, 2018 2:44 pm

Robert Niessner wrote: Nice rant Rob, had a few good laughs :-)
Always cool to see and hear people you know just from forum postings in "real life".

And sometimes you got a little bit "touchy" to your camera ;-)

+1 :)

Mattias Kristiansson

PostSat Sep 15, 2018 3:19 pm

I like your rant, I really hope there will be a sensor upgrade eventually but I doubt it...

However, it would be a really nice gesture if we got a firmware upgrade so we could at least get Blackmagic Raw on our big URSA cameras... Please, BM...

Thomas Koveleskie

PostSat Sep 15, 2018 8:11 pm

Yes that BM RAW would be a great addition to the URSA... Please.
Resolve Studio 17.4.3 Build 10
MSI B550, Ryzen 7 3700X, GSkill 32GB DDR4-3000, NVIDIA GeForce RTX3060 12GB, Win 10 X64, Sys Drive: Samsung 970 EVO NVMe M.2 500GB SSD, Resolve Media: Inland Platinum NVMe M.2 2TB, Storage: Toshiba internal 5TB SATA

Gene Kochanowsky

PostSat Sep 15, 2018 8:31 pm

If it were a choice between BM spending resources on the old Ursa or working on a 6k full frame camera, I would tell them to forget about the Ursa. And I think that is exactly what they've done. If they are good stewards of the company that is what they should be doing. Building a future, not trying to resurrect a long gone past.

The Ursa is now a point in time in the past of camera history. It is now what it will always be, and nothing more. You guys are throwing wishes at BM as if it was your fairy godmother. Get real.

Asok Kumar

PostSun Sep 16, 2018 2:17 am

I still expect an new sensor for the big Ursa, and any 3rd party firmware upgrade for the big Ursa for using the new Raw recording released few days ago by Bmd, regards asok

Ellory Yu

PostSun Sep 16, 2018 5:49 am

Gene Kochanowsky wrote:If it were a choice between BM spending resources on the old Ursa or working on a 6k full frame camera, I would tell them to forget about the Ursa. And I think that is exactly what they've done. If they are good stewards of the company that is what they should be doing. Building a future, not trying to resurrect a long gone past.

The Ursa is now a point in time in the past of camera history. It is now what it will always be, and nothing more. You guys are throwing wishes at BM as if it was your fairy godmother. Get real.

I disagree. I don't want a 6K or an 8K or any more K than a 4K. Forget the sensor. Put that money on giving Ursa 4K owners an upgraded firmware that has the new OS and BRAW on it. That freaking computer and cooling system inside the Ursa 4K owe to be able to boot and run such firmware. If that is too expensive to do, then swap our URSA for a UMP 4.6K without any additional cost and call it even. Just make our URSA like new and worthwhile using again. Then we can end this matter.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

daniloguate

PostSun Sep 16, 2018 5:58 am

Asok Kumar

PostSun Sep 16, 2018 10:07 am

Can I be able to download the new Raw codec released from Bmd (beta 6) now

Stewart Fairweather

PostSun Sep 16, 2018 1:14 pm

Rakesh Malik wrote:

Well now, Cat, meet ruffled feathers,....

The Original Ursa has the same 4K sensor as the BMPC4K, the Cion, the Axiom,... and the IOIndustries Flare 12M

In the Cion, the sensor runs out to 120fps @ DCI 4K & 12 bits.

In the IOIndustires camera, they drop the bit depth down 10 and 8 bits, and get even higher frame rates out of it. 149 in 10 bit and 187 in 8 bit.

So if you're willing to drop the bit depth, and thus the processing loads, you can use the spare overhead for higher frame rates,.... Without updating the processor.

The wonder of it is, at HD resolution and 8 bit, it does 935 fps,.... :D
In 10 bit at HD, 838 fps.

http://www.ioindustries.com/12mpspecifications.html

Now, guys, as for the Turret, it wouldn't be that hard to machine your own, so long as you don't need the lens to be powered.
PreviousNext

Return to Cinematography