Footage in Bins question

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

mp14mp14

Footage in Bins question

PostMon Jul 16, 2018 5:40 pm

Hi people,

I got tons of clips already selected In and out rough, all of them organise by camera and type.
I was wondering if there is an option in the bin to see only the selection segment when scrubing in the thumbnail instead of the whole original file, would be so helpful for me right now, sometimes the selection is only a few seconds inside a 5 or 10 minutes shot.

Thanks

Jim Simon

Re: Footage in Bins question

PostMon Jul 16, 2018 11:50 pm

There is not.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Jul 17, 2018 2:53 am

You can select them all and make a temporary timeline, review in edit page, trim as needed, add markers etc.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Peter Cave

PostTue Jul 17, 2018 3:03 am

Perhaps making sub-clips from your selections could help?
Resolve 18.6.6 Mac OSX 14.4.1 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

sacherjj

PostTue Jul 17, 2018 3:31 am

Other than sub clips, I see the selected portion in the lower bar on the thumbnail showing the selected in/out portion. You have to control the cursor to just be over that portion, but it is something. (On 15b6, if this isn't in 14.)
Windows 10 Pro
Resolve 15 Studio
AMD Ryzen 2700x
Asrock x370 Tachi
32GB DDR4 @ 3200
GTX 1060 6GB
BM Intensity Pro 4k

mp14mp14

PostTue Jul 17, 2018 3:42 am

Thanks all of you for your replies.

I couldn't find a way so I was doing what Peter suggested, new timelines for the preselection of clips. That's exactly how I use to work for decades in other NLE but since I switch to Davinci I found that scrubbing in bins is so fast compare to FCP or Premiere that I was hoping to take advantage of that when searching thru hundred of clips per bin. it would be so cool to be able to fast check from there when searching once you discard all the non usable footage.

sacherjj

PostTue Jul 17, 2018 1:12 pm

If you make sub clips, then you get this. The advantage is that you can have more than one in/out for a clip. I drop original clip in a "used" sub bin after I can sub clipped it. While you are marking in and out, just drag over to the media and it will create the sub clip.

This also allows you to assign metadata for this sub clip separate from the main. If you need to use more than you selected in the sub clip, you can enable extending the ends.

Working on a short documentary edit with primary sound coming from a talking head 40 minute interview. I'm breaking up all good phrases to sub clips and giving description as the words said (or summary). Then I can look at list view and sort by timecode if wanted. Just have all the "good stuff" left.
Windows 10 Pro
Resolve 15 Studio
AMD Ryzen 2700x
Asrock x370 Tachi
32GB DDR4 @ 3200
GTX 1060 6GB
BM Intensity Pro 4k

mp14mp14

PostTue Jul 17, 2018 2:03 pm

Thanks Joe, I will try that workflow sound like a great approach for what I need. I wasn't sure if the subclips would be making my search in bins easier, my first thought was I have too many clips to duplicate them in subclips. But it looks that works for you. I will definitely give it a try.
And thanks Peter Cave, for suggesting subclips too.

Return to DaVinci Resolve