ATEM Camera Control Update

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

rickyrubb

ATEM Camera Control Update

PostThu Jul 19, 2018 3:28 am

I am interested in purchasing three Blackmagic Design Studio Cameras 4k and the Blackmagic Design ATEM Television Studio Pro 4k Live Production Switcher. I like the control features the switcher has with the cameras. The cameras need to be connected with Fiber. On B&H website at the bottom of the camera page it mentions an ATEM Camera Control Update, : "This update, which will be available as a free download for both the ATEM switchers and Blackmagic Studio Camera, allows for control of the camera from any ATEM production switcher."
Question : Is this update available now somewhere on the website or is it something for the future? If it's for the future, When?

Thank you,
Rick

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

Re: ATEM Camera Control Update

PostThu Jul 19, 2018 3:28 pm

Hello Rick. Simply go to the Support section of the website and select ATEM switchers. https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/suppor ... -switchers

You will always find the latest software for our products. I should add you will have camera control already in the switcher.

Regards, Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

rickyrubb

PostThu Jul 19, 2018 3:47 pm

Thanks,
I was looking in the camera updates. Just to be clear with this update I will be able to attach with fiber a BM Studio camera without the cameras optical fiber user upgrade? That is to say plug the camera in out of the box? If not, is there some sort of an upgrade upsell? If so how much?

Thanks,

Rick

Denny Smith

PostThu Jul 19, 2018 6:02 pm

You will need a SFP Optical module on the camera and the Optical Converter on the ATEM.
See https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... a/workflow
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Jul 19, 2018 6:15 pm

Denny is right. If you want to connect optical fiber to the Television Studio Camera, you would need to purchase an SFP for this purpose. It has nothing to do with software. You may use the camera with Coax or optionally Fiber. Hope this helps.

Regards, Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

rickyrubb

PostThu Jul 19, 2018 8:16 pm

Thanks,

" You may use the camera with Coax or optionally Fiber."

Will the ATEM Switcher be able to control the camera and thus use the color correcting, talkback, remote camera control and tally indicators through SDI or user installable optical fiber connections without purchasing more hardware?
I'm sorry I'm confused with the production chain. Are you saying in order for me to use the camera control features of the Blackmagic Design ATEM Television Studio Pro 4k Live Production Switcher. I need:

1 A Blackmagic Design Studio Camera 4k $1,495
2 Fiber
3 An SFP Optical Module 6G-SDI ( What does this do?) $149- or a ATEM Camera Converter/per camera $595
4 Fiber
4 ATEM Talkback Converter 4K (because I will be running multiple cameras) $2,495
5 Fiber
6 ATEM Television Studio Pro 4K $2,995

I put the prices to make sure we were talking about the same thing.

Ultimately, all I want to do is a three camera shoot, and be able to use the functions of the switcher.

Help...

Thanks,

Rick

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Jul 19, 2018 9:24 pm

Hello Rick. Sorry if there is any confusion. It's understandable given all the possibilities. With the ATEM TVS Pro 4K, you may directly connect 2 SDI cables (one each direction) to your cameras and have all the features you talk about. Talkback, Tally and CCU control. If you want to use fiber to and from the cameras you will have to get more than the above two items. You would need the Optical SFP for the camera, the fiber itself, and either the Talkback Converter (plus SFPs) or 3 fiber to SDI converters plus SFPs. This will still allow you to have all the features. So it's up to you as to how you wish to connect your cameras. SDI coax or optical fiber. The capability is exactly the same.

Regards, Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

rickyrubb

PostThu Jul 19, 2018 11:21 pm

Thanks Gary, that is extremely helpful.

Rick

Denny Smith

PostFri Jul 20, 2018 5:54 am

Gary, the SFPs look like they mount to the camera, where? Seems like a nice approach, and a lot less $ than the Camera Converters. So the SFPs work with the Ursa Broadcast, or only SMPTE fiber Converter?
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Live Production