NEW INSTALLATION

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author
Click King

NEW INSTALLATION

PostMon Sep 10, 2012 4:54 pm

I have been tasked by my church to install a new 4-camera system to record our events at church. Also, we want to provide an opportunity for high school youth who have demonstrated a desire to persue a career in videography to get some "hands-on" experience in doing "live" productions. The BlackMagic ATEM TV Studio Production Switcher has been recommended to us since we are on a limit budget. The setup I am considering is to input 4 HD cameras using HDMI to a laptop. The audio will come from a master sound board with audio collected from several wireless and wired mikes. I would also like to be able to do lower thirds. Finally, I would like to have the option to not only save the production to a hard drive but have the option to do a live stream to my internet server supplier.

Does anyone have any thoughts if the Blackmagic ATEM TV Studio Production switcher will work for us?

I have read that there are issues with audio sync. How can I resolve this issue if it in fact is a problem?

many thanks.

Peter

Richard Courtney

Re: NEW INSTALLATION

PostWed Sep 12, 2012 6:37 pm

We set up a 1 M/E and do mostly same you want to do.
The cameras are HDMI with repeaters and we have one input from a computer with HDMI.
A DecklinkDuo card serves as capture to Media Express and optionally to Adobe FMLE for live.
We will use the second channel of the DUO for preservice information using the player sample
from the Decklink SDK.

Remember, if the ATEM loses power your targa graphics that have been uploaded will be lost
and will need to be reloaded. My son runs the switcher one of the services and does so with little
supervision so I think you will find ATEM will be a good choice for your group.

Click King

PostWed Sep 12, 2012 7:11 pm

Thank you Courtney for the valuable info.

Do you have a website I can visit to see your productions?

Peter

Richard Courtney

PostWed Sep 12, 2012 8:30 pm

Here is our very first capture of a live feed.

There are a few minor technical issues, mostly with an audio compressor not being switched
in. Other videos are from VHS (yes tape) from our MediaCom cable company show produced by
a longtime volunteer.

We are in the process of revamping the website and production graphics and workflow.
All done from volunteers.

Click King

PostThu Sep 13, 2012 2:26 pm

I went to your link. Great Job!

I wonder if we can chat off line. I have several questions re the setup you have. I am in the process of putting a "requirement" list together for my church. www.firstpres.cc

Can you send me your contact info please. below is my e-mail address:

peter@petercaspari.com

Richard Courtney

PostThu Sep 13, 2012 3:39 pm

Sure just click icon below my name to the left.

Richard Crowley

PostThu Sep 13, 2012 5:21 pm

All of the ATEM video switchers do rather extensive processing of the video data before it is done and goes to the outputs. For this reason, the video is delayed by some amount. In order to re-synchronize the video and audio, the audio needs to be delayed by an equivalent time before feeding it into the ATEM switcher. There are several products that will delay the audio like this. Many people use Behringer FBQ110 "Shark" or Ultracurve Pro DEQ2496. Note that the ATEM TVS requires DIGITAL audio input, so you also need something to convert your audio to digital. The DEQ2496 does both delay and conversion to digital.

Richard Courtney

PostThu Sep 13, 2012 6:07 pm

Ditto on the Ultracurve Pro DEQ2496.

Click King

PostFri Sep 14, 2012 6:22 am

Thank you gentlemen.

Wow! Am I glad that I did the Post inquiry. Your help is very much appreciated.

Peter

Return to Getting Started