What HDMI to USB for me? (Low Budget)

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Manuel Geissinger

What HDMI to USB for me? (Low Budget)

PostWed Aug 01, 2018 10:38 pm

I'm looking for an adapter / converter for several of my DSLR cameras, that don't support streaming over USB (but do have an HDMI output).

I need FullHD@60FPS, output can be USB 3 or C (not thunderbolt). I need a live preview and the ability to record.

- I saw a box from BM, "ignition something"?

Definitely would prefer to go with BM hardware as I will stick to Resolve forever. However it makes not sense if a converter cost more than a BM Cinema camera.

Thanks,
Manuel.

Chris Watling

Re: What HDMI to USB for me? (Low Budget)

PostWed Aug 01, 2018 11:42 pm

Hi Manuel,

I believe the BMD product for this is the web presenter. https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/blackmagicwebpresenter

It should do what you're asking, though you need to make sure that your DSLR HDMI output is clean (otherwise some frame data may be visible in the output).

Hope this helps.

Asgeir Hustad

PostThu Aug 02, 2018 6:17 am

The correct box is definitely not the Web Presenter - that limits output to 720p.

For USB output, there aren't really that many options though. The H.264 Pro Recorder can be used, it has USB output, and is supported directly by Livestream Studio and MxLight. You'll still have issues with it hardware compressing, so you should ensure that the quality settings are turned up before use via the Media Express application.

If you had access to Thunderbolt, I'd recommend the Mini Recorder. Powered via the Thunderbolt cable, supports both HDMI and SDI. Not sure if it's possible to use multiple of them, though.

If you had a desktop computer, I'd recommend a Decklink model like Duo2 or similar. Up to 4 SDI in, up to 4 SDI Out, depending on configuration.

Manuel Geissinger

PostThu Aug 02, 2018 6:28 am

Thanks to both of you. So this isn't the right thing?
Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0
What's it for btw?

I do have a stationary PC and some PCI and PCIe Slots left, I needed PCI for my Audio stuff. I also have real USB 3.0 and C as I said, and yeah, 1920x1080 is a must. Compression is not so good, would prefer low to no compression.

What is an SDI Output? I came across that while searching, too. But what does it do for me?

EDIT: The Decklink Mini Recorder seems the right thing - yeah a more portable version would have been great but that seems to do it anyway.

Asgeir Hustad

PostThu Aug 02, 2018 8:21 am

The Intensity Shuttle USB-versions have a really bad reputation reliability-wise. Apparently, it only works on some PC motherboards with a special USB chipset etc.

An SDI Output is a connector where you can send video signals out from your computer.

Decklink Mini Recorder or the Intensity Pro might be a good fit, yeah :)

Manuel Geissinger

PostFri Aug 03, 2018 7:05 pm

Thanks again,

I now got some "new" information, someone told me with these cards / usb converters I would also be able to have a dedicated viewer fullscreen monitor with Resolve, which I wanted to have for a while.

Could some of these (lower priced) products give me both? So an input for my DSLR HDMI and an output for Resolve as viewer monitor? At the same time without plugging around I mean.

Cheers,
Manuel.

Andrew Martin

PostSun Aug 05, 2018 6:36 pm

Manuel Geissinger wrote:
Could some of these (lower priced) products give me both? So an input for my DSLR HDMI and an output for Resolve as viewer monitor? At the same time without plugging around I mean.

Cheers,
Manuel.

No not really as you'll need a capture device that takes the feed from the camera into the computer.
and a playout device that will give you the PC's editor feed as an output.

Usually usb devices are input or output not both. :)

If ur looking at using a multi channel internal card, then these can be configured for input and / or output.
But of course the price goes up on these devices.

Manuel Geissinger

PostWed Aug 08, 2018 1:31 pm

Andrew Martin wrote:No not really as you'll need a capture device that takes the feed from the camera into the computer.
and a playout device that will give you the PC's editor feed as an output.

Usually usb devices are input or output not both. :)

If ur looking at using a multi channel internal card, then these can be configured for input and / or output.
But of course the price goes up on these devices.

Ok, but the internal ones would be suitable for both? Let's skip USB and Thunderbolt for now, too many strings attached, it seems.

Do all of the cards support low latency audio with Fairlight as well?

And why do most of these cards have only SDI connections? Even the BM Cinema Camera has an HDMI out and not SDI.

Sorry, noob questions I guess, this stuff is new to me. I could probably pick a few guys here and they wouldn't know what an RME ADAT card is for, that is me now with these video cards.

Eric-Jan

PostSat Aug 11, 2018 3:14 pm

Asgeir Hustad wrote:The Intensity Shuttle USB-versions have a really bad reputation reliability-wise. Apparently, it only works on some PC motherboards with a special USB chipset etc.

That's to blame on how USB works and how powerful your computer is, since USB is used by other devices in your system too.
Intensity Shuttle, ATEM Mini, Video Assist 5"(mini USB), Hyperdeck ShuttleHD,Analog to SDI mini-converter, software: Davinci Resolve 15 on Sierra, Resolve 18 on Catalina. (Using Apple OS 32 & 64 bit on different MacBook Pro's

Xtreemtec

PostTue Aug 14, 2018 10:39 am

Eric-Jan wrote:
Asgeir Hustad wrote:The Intensity Shuttle USB-versions have a really bad reputation reliability-wise. Apparently, it only works on some PC motherboards with a special USB chipset etc.

That's to blame on how USB works and how powerful your computer is, since USB is used by other devices in your system too.

That is to blame on the amount of data that you need to push trough the USB 3 port.. And the supported hardware behind it.

Not all manufacturers have build there USB3 to maximum spec.. Which does not matter when you use a USB3 drive or so.. But the problem comes when you try to push raw video data trough it.. If the port isn't fast enough.. You wont be able to push it trough..

Also BMD hardware does not play well with all USB3 hardware.. So you need a golden combination to get USB3 on BMD working. ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Wayne Rutherford

PostTue Aug 14, 2018 9:54 pm

I have great luck with capture using UltraStudio HD Mini
using thunderbolt 3 on MacBook Pro

https://www.coremicro.com/blackmagic-bd ... nderbolt-3

Eric-Jan

PostWed Aug 15, 2018 3:05 pm

When USB is no good hardware solution, and Thunderbolt is no option, only internal cards are left as option, BMD has a good choice in these, also for multiple cameras/inputs, but these are SDI so you need converter(s) to go with that, you should take a look at the products section of the website, and look what will suit your budget, and the options you need.
Intensity Shuttle, ATEM Mini, Video Assist 5"(mini USB), Hyperdeck ShuttleHD,Analog to SDI mini-converter, software: Davinci Resolve 15 on Sierra, Resolve 18 on Catalina. (Using Apple OS 32 & 64 bit on different MacBook Pro's

MambaFiber.com

PostWed Aug 15, 2018 3:56 pm

have a look at the magewell devices. we have a couple of the SDI-USB capture dongles. they work very well with our Macs and PCs. they use standard drivers and show up as a webcam so almost any software can see the feed.
Greg Bellotte - owner
MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

Andrew Martin

PostSun Aug 19, 2018 7:40 pm

MambaFiber.com wrote:have a look at the magewell devices. we have a couple of the SDI-USB capture dongles. they work very well with our Macs and PCs. they use standard drivers and show up as a webcam so almost any software can see the feed.

Same for Aja U-tap devices
https://www.aja.com/products/u-tap
Work very well in what they do.

We also use magewell as suggested by Greg.
Either of these two, would do the required job.

Eric-Jan

PostTue Aug 21, 2018 8:42 pm

What i learned recently is, that for live streaming most HDMI based consumer cameras have too much lag,
Lumix GH5, not, but a SDI camera is a better choice.

Return to Live Production