Media Management failed

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Kolja georges

Media Management failed

PostSun Sep 11, 2016 2:54 pm

Hi

I am using 12.5.1 on mac , i want to copy all the data in my project to a new destination for back up .
the total size of data is 3.34TB and there are 789 files involved. first time it stopped on the file numbered 2801 wich i checked it is an Alexa files playing normally in resolve .
the first time i checked to preserve the folder hierarchy . there is no problem in the file in itself. i restarted the system and proceeded again.
the second time i didn't check the preserve hierarchy, the process stopped on the file number 19 which is a quicktime file playing normally in resolve.

any suggestions ?? is there a way to continue again from where the backup stopped??

Georges Kolja
Georges Kolja

Marc Wielage

Re: Media Management failed

PostMon Sep 12, 2016 1:08 am

I would try a backup utility like SuperDuper and see if it can get through the troublesome file without any problem. It's possible there's an illegal character in the file name, or there's a bad spot on the disk, or there's some corrupted bits within the file itself... there's several reasons why Finder copies fail. Same thing in Windows.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Kolja georges

PostMon Sep 12, 2016 7:08 pm

I am using the media management tool of Resolve. My aim is to consolidate my project. I tried copying the whole file and trimming. So far I realized that there are lots of duplicates file in my mediapool . So i don't know if this is the problem....

Sent from my E6883 using Tapatalk
Georges Kolja

Marc Wielage

PostTue Sep 13, 2016 4:18 am

Kolja georges wrote:I am using the media management tool of Resolve. My aim is to consolidate my project. I tried copying the whole file and trimming. So far I realized that there are lots of duplicates file in my mediapool . So i don't know if this is the problem....

You could do it all manually. Another alternative would be to use Nikolai Waldman's Resolve Collect:

http://www.niwa.nu/2013/06/collect-sour ... e-collect/

The only time I have seen Media Management fail is when the system is missing a small file, like a (relatively unimportant) title or audio file in an unused timeline. If it's in the project, Media Management will insist on trying to find it, and if that fails, the whole copy process will fail. I'd like to see better error handling here and have it just put up an error message and keep going. Maybe at the end, provide a report that says, "Warning: XXX out of YYY files were copied, 3 files were missing."
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Kolja georges

PostThu Sep 22, 2016 9:04 am

yes , we really look for a more advanced media management tool , a tool that does not stop if an error occurs, but skips the error and continues the process ,and at the end deliver an error log to fix later. But we also think that the media pool should handle the imported files in a way that it doesn't t allow you importing a clip that it is already in the media pool, nor it makes multiple duplicates of the same files .

Resolve finally managed to continue the media management process after doing the following :
first keeping only used shots in the media pool , by flagging all used clip in my timeline i was able to delete all unused files in the media pool.

removing all duplicate files in the media pool , by putting all shots in the master bin and deleting all other bins. and force conforming offline shots to the left video file in the media pool. it was a long process though.

And last after realizing that there are some go-pro files that have the same naming, all over the project , i checked marked the keep hierarchy button just to remove any conflict it might occurs.

I don't know what was the reason behind the media management failing but after doing the above the process of copying all the files succeed.
Georges Kolja

jeffreysousa

PostSat Oct 01, 2016 2:55 pm

Bump. I just experienced two "Failed at..." errors, 4 hours into a 5 hour Media Management of a big RED project. The first time it failed, it seemed to be because of clips with special characters in the name. There was an archival clip within the mostly RED project with a "$" in the clip / file name. So I let the editor have it, then renamed the clip.

I started the second media management attempt, only to get a "Failed at A002_C001_01059K.R3D". No special characters there... Who knows why it failed...

The idea of Media Management is such a promising workflow. So many feature projects I work on require copying terabytes and terabytes of client media to my RAID -- only to use a small fraction of it in the project. I just love the idea of copying only what I need and avoiding 5-, 8-, 12-hour transfers, not to mention eating up less of my RAID space.

But Media Management as implemented now feels so finicky. I second the idea that I wish Resolve would just power through the "failed" clips and tell me afterwards which clips failed to copy...I will drag those over manually, I guess.

Robert Arnold

PostTue Oct 04, 2016 6:03 pm

+1 on fixing the media management function. I find it fails at least 40% of the time.

Gabi Bucataru

PostMon Feb 27, 2017 1:44 pm

Ugh... Same issue here. The media Management doesn't know how to manage errors gracefully. Failed imports because of just one tiny single file is corrupt or missing, are a thing of the past.

Gabi
Resolve 18.6.2 Studio * WIN10 Pro 64-bit * intel core i7-7700K CPU 4.20Ghz * 32 Gb RAM * NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti *

William Eguienta

PostMon Aug 13, 2018 4:51 am

any improvement in resolve 15 ?

Uli Plank

PostMon Aug 13, 2018 5:08 am

While there are other tools for this, I'd say it needs to be either 100% reliable or just disabled.
It's too dangerous if you can't rely on it.

BTW, there is some improvement. Version 15 should be able trim GPO formats now. In my tests it does, but only for .mov or HEVC. It fails with H.264 in a mp4 wrapper. Works after re-wrapping, though.

Careful with overlapping segments, they only make into the trimmed version if they were defined as subclips.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Dermot Shane

PostMon Aug 13, 2018 2:26 pm

archive will do what you want,
and will do it reliably
i use it - with no failures to date
media manage function is something i avoid

LesMizzell

PostFri Mar 01, 2019 8:56 pm

I'm having some trouble with this in Windows 10 as well.
Small project - under 70 files, most of what are jpegs.
There's one mp4 file which I'm using in the project, and it stops at that one every single time.
When it fails on that one file, the entire process fails and nothing is copied to the project folder I've set up.

So, one vote here for at lease to continue with the management process, copy/move everything that can be copied/moved, skip the ones that can't, and just give me an error report at the end instead of the entire process failing because of one file.

Uli Plank

PostSat Mar 02, 2019 3:53 am

+100!

Media Management could be great, but failing because of just one bad apple (no pun intended) is ridiculous. In particular, if you are working in documentary and would like to transcode and slim your stuff down at the same time.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

artemus

PostSun Nov 08, 2020 10:13 pm

Reviving this as I encountered same issue (on windows 10), for just copying the whole project to a new hdd for transport.

I tried various things to see what worked, and turns out it was 'preserve file hierarchy' that caused the issue. Changed it from 0 to 1 and all worked fine. Perhaps due to having media scattered across hard drives? No idea, but could be worth testing.

Mihail Constantinescu-Fomino

PostSun Dec 13, 2020 7:21 pm

Thanks for the hint, changing the folder level from 0 to 1 solved the problem, i.e., the folder hierarchy starts right after the drive name.
Mihail
SW: Resolve Studio 18.5.1
HW: i9-9900K, 64 GM RAM, GeForce RTX 2080Ti 11GB
Monitoring: Dell 2718Q UHD monitor

Eddy Juillerat

PostThu Jul 01, 2021 10:41 pm

Same problem for me. One clip only made the copy failed.
I solved this by rerender the clip, put in place in the edit and then it was OK. Seems the file got something wrong with it, don't know what.
Cameras: [BMPCC4K - Panasonic Lumix lenses] - [BMCC 2,5K EF - Sigma EX lenses]
System: Windows 10 pro 64 bits SSD - 5.1 - Resolve 18.5
Asus board X99-s - Intel Core i7-5960x 3 GHz - RAM 32 GB - MSI GeForce RTX 2060 VENTUS GP OC (6 Go)

jordibares

PostSun Oct 10, 2021 11:59 am

Seems Media Management still has the same issues... Resolve 17.3, copy fails without giving any log whatsoever... this should be rock solid guys...

Please invest some time in these things, is truly fundamental.
Jordi Bares
Creative Director / VFX Supervisor

Eddy Juillerat

PostMon Oct 11, 2021 1:03 pm

This channel offer a solution (I didn't try):
In timeline, locate the clip making the render crash, right click on it and "Render In Place".
then the render in Deilver page should work.

https://www.youtube.com/c/BillyRybka/
Cameras: [BMPCC4K - Panasonic Lumix lenses] - [BMCC 2,5K EF - Sigma EX lenses]
System: Windows 10 pro 64 bits SSD - 5.1 - Resolve 18.5
Asus board X99-s - Intel Core i7-5960x 3 GHz - RAM 32 GB - MSI GeForce RTX 2060 VENTUS GP OC (6 Go)

jordibares

PostTue Oct 12, 2021 12:06 pm

Thank you for the reply but this solution is only acceptable on some situations, the workflow to copy media should be rock solid, something we can trust 100% so although I appreciate the note, in my case is not good enough.

I am now forced to write a python script to analyse what is going on and find the offending clips... not fun.

Eddy Juillerat wrote:This channel offer a solution (I didn't try):
In timeline, locate the clip making the render crash, right click on it and "Render In Place".
then the render in Deilver page should work.

https://www.youtube.com/c/BillyRybka/
Jordi Bares

jordibares

PostWed Oct 13, 2021 6:54 pm

SOLVED.

So, after crawling thru the edit and replacing by hand every single clip with a traditionally downloaded version of each of those, eliminating any frame.io link, everything seems to work again.

The crashes are now gone, the export and project archival works, the media management works.

This makes me think there is some work to be done in those media handling tools to integrate properly with Frame.Io.

I love the new workflow, please guys fix this ASAP.

thanks.
Jordi Bares

GalinMcMahon

PostSun Nov 21, 2021 1:54 am

However many years since this post and this is STILL an issue. I am getting really tired of how Resolve handles files and projects and databases. I just need to deliver the project but I can not because archive automatically fails right at the start. I tried the transcoding route but for some reason, Resolve ridiculously changes the file names so that you can't relink without replaceing... every...single...clip. WTF is the point? Pretty pissed because my client came with a checkbook and left with it after 2 months of work.

Tried just sending the drp and relinking the terabyte of files but client is on free version so of course Resolve watermarked everything as I'm on studio. Come the f on.
Water cooled Windows 11 laptop
i9 12th gen - 64GB RAM - 16GB 3080ti
2TB 4th gen nvme main - 4TB 4th gen nvme scratch
Micro panel (thank you BM :) ) - Stream Deck
Resolve Studio 18.5
BenQ ultrawide - DeckLink 4k mini via Sonnet - 48” LG C2 OLED

arretx

PostWed Feb 23, 2022 10:59 pm

Good grief. Simply attempting to use Media Management to test the function of Media Management so I can trim excess useless footage from original source media.

Any time I select "Used media and trim keeping..." one clip is created and then the process fails, leaving what looks like trimmed clips in the destination folder, but they're corrupt.

What other tools can we use to ditch useless video from our source files?

Uli Plank

PostThu Feb 24, 2022 7:54 am

I have just used Media Management for a project with about 300 clips from 3 cameras with different codecs, trimmed. At first try it complained about an offline clip, clearly indicating its name. That was a tiny bit of a leftover which was not easily seen on the timeline. After deleting this it went trough without a hiccup.

I'd only wish you could add just the missing clips in such a case, like an incremental backup.

NickMDal

PostThu Sep 21, 2023 4:26 am

Unchecking "Preserve Hierarchy" always solves it for me. No idea why. I do have duplicate file names since we forget to advance the scene and shot numbers all the time. So there is a danger in unchecking.
Resolve Studio 18.6
Win 10 Home (22H2) 19045.2728

ASRock X570 Taichi w/TB3 AIC R2.0
ASUS ProArt PA248QV 24.1
2 Acer 1080p LCDs
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
32GB DDR4
GeForce RTX 4090 24GB

Apple ProRes and ProRes RAW
Lots of fast SSDs

BMD Micro Panel

Return to DaVinci Resolve