Intensity - Component & HDMI

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Luigiview

Intensity - Component & HDMI

PostFri Aug 10, 2018 7:53 pm

Hello,

I am using an Intensity card USB 3.0 on a windows 10 computer.

I get video using RGB Component, but I get no video at all using HDMI cable.
I am using the same video source device.

I have check this HDMI output & cable on a monitor, and they appeared to be OK. (I got video)

Is there something I am missing? What can I try?

Thanks for your help.
Luis

Eric-Jan

Re: Intensity - Component & HDMI

PostSat Aug 11, 2018 10:51 am

Your HDMI source settings must be exact set in your "driver" Desktop Video Setup (MAC?) and the software your actualy are using, like BMD Media Express, .....Resolution, frame rate i or p and color space.
The capture is your own material ? do try to use an other HDMI cable, the HDMI protocol might be affected.
If you are not using Media Exress at the moment try this first, there might be a "hidden feature" in your current software... deduction :)
Intensity Shuttle, ATEM Mini, Video Assist 5"(mini USB), Hyperdeck ShuttleHD,Analog to SDI mini-converter, software: Davinci Resolve 15 on Sierra, Resolve 18 on Catalina. (Using Apple OS 32 & 64 bit on different MacBook Pro's

Xtreemtec

PostTue Aug 14, 2018 12:21 pm

9 out of 10 times.. Your device will send 1080P50/60 frames.. While the intensity only captures up to 1080i50/60.. 1080P is not possible with the intensity capture devices. ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Luigiview

PostTue Aug 14, 2018 5:35 pm

Thanks for you answer Eric,

I am using BM Media Express, what do you mean by "Your HDMI source settings must be exact set in your "driver" Desktop Video Setup"? I can´t find any way to configure this in the Media Express app.

I guess there some way to change it, right?

Thnaks again.

Luigiview

PostTue Aug 14, 2018 5:37 pm

Thanks for you Rely Xtreemtec,

But how come the RGB component is showing? Is possible each output has it's own setting?

Xtreemtec wrote:9 out of 10 times.. Your device will send 1080P50/60 frames.. While the intensity only captures up to 1080i50/60.. 1080P is not possible with the intensity capture devices. ;)

Eric-Jan

PostTue Aug 14, 2018 7:01 pm

Luigiview wrote:Thanks for you answer Eric,

I am using BM Media Express, what do you mean by "Your HDMI source settings must be exact set in your "driver" Desktop Video Setup"? I can´t find any way to configure this in the Media Express app.

I guess there some way to change it, right?

Thnaks again.

I'm using a MacBook Pro, (sorry) I notice i only can change capture settings when the Intensity Shuttle is on and running, You should look where you select the video input (Intensity) in your software setup, with me that's a seperate program, you should "copy" the settings from your camera/device there also resolution, frame rate, and i or p, Color space (YUV or RGB) accordingly, The Intensity comes with the needed software for MAC or Windows mine came in small golden folder withe a SD card in it, installing this should make things work.
You can also use the outputs of the Intensity to monitor the incomming signal, the red capture tab of Media Express should be selected in that case, after that you can click the red capture button, red animated arrows moving to the right will indicate your capture is in progress, clicking again the red capture button will stop the capture.

You can only use one input to capture, you need to select the input you want to use in the BMD software.

btw. YUV is the most common setting for Color space, try to set your camera/device and software for this.
btw2. Maybe in Windows you should look at your (device) system settings, like where you can find usb camera, etc... BMD might have installed there a driver tool, also you could discover it's name at the USB(3) devices list in M$ Windows system.

The way you install a USB device, matters also, just connect the device before installing drivers/software, and let Windows "detect" the Intensity Shuttle, and look what happens, or install software first, and then connect the Intensity Shuttle, if you did one of these, then try the other one, watch your screen, and look what is being installed, or note the error messages/numbers.
This is guess-work for me, because i think you overlooked something, during install, or setting up for a capture.
Intensity Shuttle, ATEM Mini, Video Assist 5"(mini USB), Hyperdeck ShuttleHD,Analog to SDI mini-converter, software: Davinci Resolve 15 on Sierra, Resolve 18 on Catalina. (Using Apple OS 32 & 64 bit on different MacBook Pro's

Xtreemtec

PostTue Aug 14, 2018 8:43 pm

Luigiview wrote:Thanks for you Rely Xtreemtec,

But how come the RGB component is showing? Is possible each output has it's own setting?

Xtreemtec wrote:9 out of 10 times.. Your device will send 1080P50/60 frames.. While the intensity only captures up to 1080i50/60.. 1080P is not possible with the intensity capture devices. ;)

Don't pin me down on this.. But by head component output is only up to 1080i maximum.. While HDMI connection of a camera can easily send out 1080P.

Maybe you can tell us what the source device is.. (Brand, type) would be helpfull.. But i put my money on a camera at this moment.
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Luigiview

PostTue Aug 14, 2018 10:21 pm

Again, thanks a lot for your help guys...

Eric: I will try everything you said. I need to dig up in the Express Media App.

Xtreemtec: Actually, I am in the medical field, I am trying to capture video from an "OLYMPUS" endoscopic video processor . Let me get the video details in the manual so I can share it up to you, maybe you can find something "strange".

I will come up with my results.

Luigiview

PostTue Aug 14, 2018 10:42 pm

Guess what Guys??

Xtreemtec is totally right.... this device outputs in 1080P at DVI.... :? (damn!)

So... do you know any video capture device that you recommend that accepts 1080i ?
Attachments
Olympus 190 output.jpg
Olympus 190 output.jpg (651.95 KiB) Viewed 2590 times

Eric-Jan

PostWed Aug 15, 2018 12:12 am

Found this about the Intensity Shuttle frame rate specs:
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... s/W-INT-02

my settings where used in the lower PAL capture mode, sorry, my mistake.

Eric-Jan

PostWed Aug 15, 2018 8:22 am

Luigiview wrote:Guess what Guys??

Xtreemtec is totally right.... this device outputs in 1080P at DVI.... :? (damn!)

So... do you know any video capture device that you recommend that accepts 1080i ?

But that same line of text mentions also the SD-SDI and HD-SDI specs, without the framerates :(
The frame rate will be 60 (NTSC) or 50 (PAL) maybe try to 25 or 30 ?
Only a scaler will help ?

wiki SDI specs:

The SMPTE 292 standard is a nominally 1.5 Gbit/s interface. Two exact bitrates are defined; 1.485 Gbit/s, and 1.485/1.001 Gbit/s. The factor of 1/1.001 is provided to allow SMPTE 292 to support video formats with frame rates of 59.94 Hz, 29.97 Hz, and 23.98 Hz, in order to be upwards compatible with existing NTSC systems. The 1.485 Gbit/s version of the standard supports other frame rates in widespread use, including 60 Hz, 50 Hz, 30 Hz, 25 Hz, and 24 Hz.
The standard also defines nominal bitrates of 3 Gbit/s, for 50/60 frame per second 1080P applications. This version of the interface is not used (and has not been commercially implemented); instead, either a dual-link extension of SMPTE 292M known as SMPTE 372 or a version running twice as fast known as SMPTE 424 is used for e.g. 1080p60 applications

Xtreemtec

PostWed Aug 15, 2018 9:57 am

2 ways.. Or get a Decklink mini recorder instead of the Intensity.. THat way you can go 1080I50 sdi into it..

Or get a scaler like the BMD UDC HD or Decimator MD-HX and scale the DVI output to 1080i or 720P for the intensity.

Return to Getting Started