No Audio at all on Linux and Resolve 15

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Milan Ihl

No Audio at all on Linux and Resolve 15

PostSun Aug 26, 2018 2:05 pm

Hey, i didn't find a post about this so far.. as far as i though i knew, Resolve 15 does support native Audio without special devices under Linux now, i even bought a dongle to get h264 working on Linux so i don't need Windows anymore.

However, there is no Audio for me right now, it doesn't even visualize the audio. :(
I am on ArchLinux, may i forgot to install a special dependency?

Code: Select all
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 28 19. Aug 16:35 /opt/resolve/libs/libgstreamer-0.10.so.0 -> /usr/lib/libgstreamer-1.0.so
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 26 19. Aug 16:35 /opt/resolve/libs/libgstbase-0.10.so.0 -> /usr/lib/libgstbase-1.0.so

I can only select the "Default" device in the settings... .
Attachments
Bildschirmfoto vom 2018-08-26 16-11-59.png
Bildschirmfoto vom 2018-08-26 16-11-59.png (9.55 KiB) Viewed 6543 times
DaVinci Resolve Studio
PC: ArchLinux/Windows10 (main for editing)/macOS HS // 8-Core AMD FX-8350 // RX570 8GB // RAM: 15.57GiB
Laptop: ArchLinux/Windows10 // ThinkPad X250 // Intel i5-5300U // RAM: 7.88GiB

Shrinivas Ramani

Blackmagic Design

Re: No Audio at all on Linux and Resolve 15

PostMon Aug 27, 2018 5:01 am

DaVinci Resolve from v15 supports native audio on Linux. See
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=77723
• Support for native audio on Linux

Have you checked if the BMD recommended centOS configuration works? If not, please post diagnostic logs and system information as per: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=71894.

You should also report the exact OS version, hardware platform, number of and type of GPUs being used, storage type and other setup specific details. Many users add this information to their forum signature. This can be done in the Forum’s ‘User Control Panel’.

Please also consider searching these Linux specific threads as there are users of other unsupported Linux distros that have got DaVinci Resolve working for them:
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=70949 and
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=56878

Milan Ihl

PostTue Aug 28, 2018 11:15 am

Thanks for your answer, i was so obset that i forgot to check the log.
However it does not really help me.. .
MVI_5279.MP4>, track: 0, position:
10118108 - Failed to decode the audio samples.
# AAC (Canon)
00014.MTS>, track: 0, position: 818468 - Cannot find the codec for decoding.
# AC3 (Sony)

This is funny, i was pretty sure that i already tested sound with my footage with success in v15b1 but regarding to your docs, those very popular ones are not supported - or didn't i simply find the Studio docs??

Edit: yes, by searching for AAC in the Install thread, i found out about the topic but didn't understand how this would help me with my scenario, i would consider being forced to convert all my footage not being a very efficient and satisfying workflow.

Edit2: added signature
DaVinci Resolve Studio
PC: ArchLinux/Windows10 (main for editing)/macOS HS // 8-Core AMD FX-8350 // RX570 8GB // RAM: 15.57GiB

MikeRochefort

PostTue Aug 28, 2018 12:40 pm

Unfortunately AAC audio is not supported on the Linux variant. You will need to use a transcoder to split the streams out to an AIFF/WAV file or you need to convert the MP4/AAC to a MOV file with embedded audio.

I recommend reading through the Supported Codecs page you can find on the support site so you’ll know for the future what is and isn’t available.

Cheers,
Mike
https://michaelrochefort.com/
3D Lookdev, Compositing, and Sysadmin
Fusion Studio 9.0.2
Fusion 16 Studio
RHEL 7.6 | Intel i7-6850K | 32GB memory | 3x GTX 1070 | 418.56

Milan Ihl

PostTue Aug 28, 2018 4:56 pm

Thanks so i found the correct document as mentioned above.
It actually works with wav.
It is however a terrible workflow. I can not understand how the Studio! version brings h264 but nothing common like aac. wtf.

Edit for people of the future, here is a WIP script that makes the footage compatible.
The folder is specified as commandline argument (like ~/scripts/rconvert.sh /home/user/Projects/pr1 or just $PWD) and assumes that the original footage is located at ./tmp, it than creates the actual footage folder where ffmpeg puts the files to.
I have more plans with that script for example because footage should be sorted and the script may clean up and what not, but i think this early stage version may already help a few partypeople.. .

usage: :/script.sh /path/to/projectfolder
#!/bin/bash
#
#stop on error
set -e
#
#ffmpeg options to keep video but create the needed audio format
options='-acodec pcm_s16le -vcodec copy'
#
#create the directory for the new footage
mkdir -p "$1"/footage
echo -e "\033[1m###### > directory equals to $1\033[0m"
#
#we're looking for these filetypes to work with
for file in "$1"/tmp/*.{MP4,MTS}
    do
        echo -e "\033[1m###### > using ${file##*/}\033[0m"
        ffmpeg -i "$file" ${options} "$1"/footage/${file##*/}.mov
done

yet expected folder structure:
'given folder' ..
-> ./tmp
-> ./ifx
-> ./...
resultung folder structure:
'given folder' ..
-> ./tmp
-> ./footage
-> ./ifx
-> ./...

Hint! I first attempted to run this against my netdrive but it was slow af, on my internal ssd on the other hand it is blazing fast.
DaVinci Resolve Studio

ryancoeit

PostMon Feb 18, 2019 6:12 am

Hello

I'm having the same issue on arch linux my screenshot is the same as above, im unable to get playback sound when importing footage is there a dependancy or config file i can edit to resolve this ?

Or as the last post indicates, its purely a codec issue ?, because ive tried wav files and had no luck at all with wav

Kind Regards

Ryan

nic96nr

PostTue Mar 26, 2019 2:41 am

I fixed the audio issue on my system by redirecting ALSA to PulseAudio. To do this edit or create /etc/asound.conf and place the following content in it:
pcm.!default pulse
ctl.!default pulse

Besides that, I just had to make sure the video was in a format that DR supports.

Return to DaVinci Resolve