Huh? Resolve Doesn't Accept .bmp (bitmap) files?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

bokehraton

Huh? Resolve Doesn't Accept .bmp (bitmap) files?

PostMon Aug 27, 2018 9:14 pm

Hey everyone! I was having trouble getting a .png watermark to show up with smooth, anti-aliased edges in a video; so I tried using the higher quality Bitmap version of the watermark.

I couldn't get the .bmp to import into a Smart Bin or the Media Gallery.

Either I'm missing something very basic (but I DID read the 11 page guide on all supported file types, which seems to focus on videos), or Resolve doesn't accept .bmp files?? :?: :!:

I am looking for an image format that I can use for a watermark that will have nice smooth edges. It's weird, because I was using a 'high quality' .png the first go-round, and that same file has been inserted into marketing materials, brochures, the website, powerpoints, .pdf files, etc. etc. without showing any white around the edges... but in Resolve, it doesn't look so good.

It's most noticeable when the watermark is over a dark or black part of the clip. I have opacity set to 100%, and played around with opacity but no luck.

Any ideas?

Thanks much!!!! 8-)

PS - This is Resolve v14 Studio

Jim Simon

Re: Huh? Resolve Doesn't Accept .bmp (bitmap) files?

PostMon Aug 27, 2018 10:53 pm

15 went Gold recently. You might try updating.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Uli Plank

PostTue Aug 28, 2018 5:03 am

That, and check if the alpha is pre-multiplied or not.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

bokehraton

PostTue Aug 28, 2018 5:43 pm

So, Resolve 14 DOESN'T work with .bmp images?

I hesitate to upgrade to 15 right now, because I'm in the middle of a project and don't want to risk messing up the database or anything.

EDIT: I figured it out. I went back to the Adobe Illustrator file (.ai) and Exported as a .png file, with a different aliasing setting (Art Optimized - Supersampling). It turns out my source image-logo was the problem.

Return to DaVinci Resolve