Mark Wyatt's footage from Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Kristian Lam

Blackmagic Design

Mark Wyatt's footage from Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

PostMon Aug 27, 2018 10:48 pm

Mark Wyatt talks about using the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K. ‘Nature’ is Mark’s test of the camera’s 4K performance in the extreme lighting conditions of rainforests and ravines.

“The camera tests I wanted to do were in the forests and waterfalls on the outer West Coast of Canada. I was really interested in seeing how the new sensor would handle these harsh lighting conditions. By increasing the ISO to an impressive 1250 and 2500, it allowed me to capture the dark moss-lined walls and unique emerald color, yet also hold onto the highlight detail of the top of the waterfall and sky. I feel most cameras would likely struggle with this scene.”

“I had the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K for only a few days, but overall I was really impressed by it. The weight of the camera is very liberating, especially when you are used to using larger camera systems. The screen is big and bright enough to use in daylight, which I found great for judging focus and exposure. And, the colors too on the screen, were also nicely represented. In fact, I would argue it is Blackmagic’s best screen yet.”

Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K
RAW
ISO400, 1250 and 2500
Sigma 18-35mm, Rokinon Cine 50mm EF lenses
Metabones Speedbooster to Micro Four Thirds

Jack Fairley

Re: Mark Wyatt's footage from Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

PostMon Aug 27, 2018 10:59 pm

Now we're talking! I like what I see so far :D
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

Dan Keeble

PostMon Aug 27, 2018 11:19 pm

looks sweet
www.flud.digital

Leon Benzakein

PostMon Aug 27, 2018 11:36 pm

Thanks Kristian
Television: Lighting/Cameraman, O.B. Camera Operator, Experience in EFP, EPG and ENG , Grip, Lamp Operator
Film: Grip, Lamp Operator
Theater: Lighting Designer, Light board Operator, Stage Electrician, Stage Management

Fornez

PostMon Aug 27, 2018 11:53 pm

Awesome! Does this mean we can expect more coming in the future?

Alex Garland

PostTue Aug 28, 2018 2:10 am

To be honest, I'm super disappointed in this footage. That organic Blackmagic look is gone and what I see is a more "video-ish" image.

I mean, look at those highlights, the roll-off is terrible!

Craig Marshall

PostTue Aug 28, 2018 2:29 am

I question why the camera needs to be moving in every shot which I find an unnecessary distraction but I'll reserve my opinion until I can see the original, uncompressed pictures at their native resolution via our 12G Decklink and displayed on our 10bit Rec.709 calibrated SDI monitor.
4K Post Studio, Freelance Filmmaker, Media Writer
Win10/Lightworks/Resolve 15.1/X-Keys 68 Jog-Shuttle/OxygenTec ProPanel
12G SDI Decklink 4K Pro/Calibrated 10bit IPS SDI Monitor
HDvideo4K.com

Donnell Henry

PostTue Aug 28, 2018 2:40 am

13 stops of dynamic range gen 4 color science is looking pretty good. Good job blackmagic/capt hook! Alex who are you kidding, you know you’re going to buy this camera. $1295 c,mon. Let the pixel peeping begin! :D
GODS CREATE

Alex Garland

PostTue Aug 28, 2018 2:43 am

Donnell Henry wrote:Alex who are you kidding, you know you’re going to buy this camera. $1295 c,mon. Let the pixel peeping begin! :D

Actually I sold my 2.5K to get this one, but the image doesn't even compare so far. I'd just buy the 2.5K again or a used Ursa Mini.

Donnell Henry

PostTue Aug 28, 2018 2:54 am

Alex Garland wrote:
Donnell Henry wrote:Alex who are you kidding, you know you’re going to buy this camera. $1295 c,mon. Let the pixel peeping begin! :D

Actually I sold my 2.5K to get this one, but the image doesn't even compare so far. I'd just buy the 2.5K again or a used Ursa Mini.

I think it really depend on the situation.. this example is in uncontrolled light, raising the the iso to 2500 .. And I think it still looks really good. Imagine using it in controlled lighting. It has a creamy or soft look to it which I like, kinda like the Alexa, it will do just fine. Funny thing, I actually prefer the production cam 4K over the 2.5k. To each his own I guess ;)
GODS CREATE

Cary Knoop

PostTue Aug 28, 2018 3:16 am

Kristian Lam wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAbB4dQOz4I

Mark Wyatt talks about using the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K. ‘Nature’ is Mark’s test of the camera’s 4K performance in the extreme lighting conditions of rainforests and ravines.

It would be nice to provide access to the raw data to get the details and see how it grades.

Adam Silver

PostTue Aug 28, 2018 4:20 am

I think the footage looks pretty sweet! The post also answers which Speedbooster to purchase.

Apexring

PostTue Aug 28, 2018 5:54 am

At first glance it looks like any HD camera on the market. The colour science is like the UMP. It lacks that original cinematic log look you'd get straight out or the bmcc and original pocket. Too be honest I'm fairly disappointed with this as the first footage. The iso is very impressive but the forest is a horrible choice as first exposure clip. Maybe they used this to get less orders at the start so they could catch up on the current order list :D hopefully they can put out some decent footage with a human so we can see skin tones and possibly someone who can professionally colour grade. Still excited for release. Let's go BM!

Denny Smith

PostTue Aug 28, 2018 5:59 am

It only states a Metabones MFT SB, not which model, but given he has the Sigma 18-35, I would say he is using the Ultra 0.71 version.
Last edited by Denny Smith on Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

AndreeMarkefors

PostTue Aug 28, 2018 6:13 am

Alex Garland wrote:I mean, look at those highlights, the roll-off is terrible!

"Highlight roll-off" is up to the user.

The photo sites capture light linearly. Since this is a camera that shoots raw, you'll get direct access to that data and with the help of various log profiles and DaVinci you should be able to get most any look you want.

If you get "super disappointed" after ONE (single data point) video, maybe it's time for reflection?
Current camera: Canon R5C
Mac Pro 2019: 12c | Dual W6800X Duo | DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K + LG 55C8
MacBook Pro M3 Max 16" 16/40, 64GB

Cary Knoop

PostTue Aug 28, 2018 7:28 am

Alex Garland wrote:To be honest, I'm super disappointed in this footage. That organic Blackmagic look is gone and what I see is a more "video-ish" image.

I strongly disagree, the image looks fine, and I think is well graded.

Philip Lipetz

PostTue Aug 28, 2018 10:11 am

Alex Garland wrote:To be honest, I'm super disappointed in this footage. That organic Blackmagic look is gone and what I see is a more "video-ish" image.

Apexring wrote:At first glance it looks like any HD camera on the market. The colour science is like the UMP. It lacks that original cinematic log look you'd get straight out or the bmcc and original pocket. Too be honest I'm fairly disappointed with this as the first footage. The iso is very impressive but the forest is a horrible choice as first exposure clip. Maybe they used this to get less orders at the start so they could catch up on the current order list :D hopefully they can put out some decent footage with a human so we can see skin tones and possibly someone who can professionally colour grade. Still excited for release. Let's go BM!

The “video” look is probably largely due to the Sigma lens that always produces that hyper sharpened look. Use a different lens if you want a more “cinematic “ look. Most probably not the camers’s fault.

It appears that the shots were exposed for shadow detail. He did not choose the ISOs with maximum DR in highlights, something we associate with “cinema” look since Alexa cameras and film are so good at smooth highlight rolloff.

The closest to testing highlight was the wave shots exposed at ISO 400, still not the maximum highlight exposure setting, where you can look at white foam. Still not a proper test.

So the camera responded well to the way it was used. The sample did not test a lot of important qualities, such as skin tones and “cinema” look, but it responded well within the limitations of the test. A good first hint It is way too soon to rush to judgment, but a good result that is as I would expect from a BMD camera with 13 stops DR and BMD color science.

Philipp Walz

PostTue Aug 28, 2018 11:13 am

Well done!

What I observed are some pink highlights (01:03) and some pinky edges (00:55). Is this produced by the lens or is this just the magic forest? I have the 18-35 too and never saw these artifacts on my BM4K.

The sharpness and the DR are incredible! I do not really like the grading that much but this is just a Demo so it depends on my personal taste how I treat the RAW data.
Pete

mindgrenade

PostTue Aug 28, 2018 12:08 pm

Impressed thus far. Anything better than GH5S level is all I'm hoping for given the price. If it were the same price as the GH5s I could understand wanting more but where I am it's literally half the price and I'm getting Resolve.

Particularly impressive is the trunk clip at 0:35 and the cavern looking out to the sky at 1:25/1:35ish. I get the feeling some talking it down haven't actually shot in a forest and don't understand exactly how difficult it is to retain all the details and colour, let alone getting any sky colour that's not just blown white in at all as well. Getting all that moss green (though I would think it is still a little yellow, still an easy enough fix) and retaining the colour the way they have is pretty incredible.

I feel like this video is purely a statement on DR and higher ISO capabilties. Happy with my pre-order, but I am still anxious to see skin tones and samples of people. That said it is BMD and given the latest color science update I'm confident it will be great too.

John Paines

PostTue Aug 28, 2018 12:15 pm

Blame the lens, the exposure, the grade or youtube, but in a blind test I doubt anyone familiar with BMPCC or UMP footage would guess "BMD" here. "Creamy", "Alexa" or "cinematic" are not the words which come to mind.

OTOH, the thread already demonstrates that whatever the camera produces, there will be opposite claims for characteristics of the footage which are supposed to be more or less objective. Oh well....
Last edited by John Paines on Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brad Hurley

PostTue Aug 28, 2018 12:22 pm

I'm guessing BMD will be releasing demo footage from this camera in fireworks-style: starting out with a few modest salvos and finishing off with a big crescendo. Mark Wyatt says he deliberately wanted to test the camera under far less than ideal conditions that would test the dynamic range and low-light performance. I'm sure we'll see footage with different lenses and under controlled conditions, all will be revealed in time.
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

Giordano Lu

PostTue Aug 28, 2018 12:35 pm

I second you. Not sure what are the "extreme light conditions" mentioned, but definitely reminds me a lot GH5 look.
I7 7700K, 32G, 16T, GTX1070 | NVIDIA 385.28 | DR 14.1 | MiniMonitor 4K | DesktopVideo 10.9.7 | Windows 10

Brad Hurley

PostTue Aug 28, 2018 1:00 pm

Giordano Lu wrote:I second you. Not sure what are the "extreme light conditions" mentioned, but definitely reminds me a lot GH5 look.

Sunlight in a dark forest definitely counts as "extreme light conditions." If I'm shooting in a forest, I try to do it on cloudy days or even when it's raining. Shooting in a forest on a sunny day is hard, and a good test of any camera's dynamic range.

It's worth looking at Mark Wyatt's website (https://wyattvisuals.com/) to get a feel for the context of his other work and the look he normally achieves; he says he uses the Ursa Mini and Ursa Mini Pro, so you can compare this demo BMPCC 4K footage with the Ursa footage he has on his site.

John Paines

PostTue Aug 28, 2018 1:31 pm

Brad Hurley wrote:Shooting in a forest on a sunny day is hard, and a good test of any camera's dynamic range.

I don't think the issue for most of the doubters here is dynamic range or extreme lighting conditions.
It's the overall aesthetic quality of the image, difficult as that may be to define, but which can be seen here. Nobody would have posted this footage, if it reflected poorly on the camera.

Awaiting more footage of course. But if this is it, there's no talking away a look you don't like.

Brad Hurley

PostTue Aug 28, 2018 1:47 pm

John Paines wrote:Awaiting more footage of course. But if this is it, there's no talking away a look you don't like.

Agreed, I don't actually like most of it myself (although there are a few scenes that I found compelling). I'm sure we'll see more footage in the coming weeks with different lenses, different approaches, different creative aesthetics and grading. I'd also like to see some HD footage with this camera, not just 4K.

Nate Porter

PostTue Aug 28, 2018 1:52 pm

I don't make camera purchase decisions based off a single video. This is a good dynamic range test, but I'm more concerned with how people look and I would like to see a other scenes/scenarios/setups. I'd love some RAW clips that I can play with for myself.

Philip Lipetz

PostTue Aug 28, 2018 1:57 pm

Matt has used Film Convert LUTs in the past for his forest work. Not sure if he did here but that would affect the rolloff at both extremes.

Here is an example of his other forest work, Prores HQ (not RAW) shot on BMD 4.6K. Compare this to the pocket 4K sample. That will tell a lot. Many of the shots are nearly identical.

Last edited by Philip Lipetz on Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chris Chiasson

PostTue Aug 28, 2018 2:14 pm

Shrugs. I think the footage looks fine. Only complaint I have is more with the color grade.

Philip Lipetz

PostTue Aug 28, 2018 4:00 pm

CORRECTION from Mark: all of the footage was shot at ISO 400 except the ravine. So decent highlight setting, not as I speculated before,
Last edited by Philip Lipetz on Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rick.lang

PostTue Aug 28, 2018 4:39 pm

Interesting to see Forest on the URSA Mini 4.6K that has a different look. Many people purchasing the BMPCC4K will have the 4.6K and want to intercut both cameras. A demo with film intercut in the same scene would be most interesting but I doubt we’ll see that except from people who have purchased both cameras.

As for the video rather than cinematic look, I agree it’s looking more like video but can’t come to a conclusion until there’s raw sample footage to download. Would be wonderful if BMD would arrange raw samples that include natural looking skin under daylight and tungsten and not under coloured lighting that is frankly a trick to hide you don’t have good skin.

If BMD doesn’t provide these quality samples, the early adopters will provide them in the first month. I still want to keep my preorder and really could use the camera for a low light shoot scheduled for late September!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

353MediaGroup

PostTue Aug 28, 2018 4:57 pm

Could this be a difference between the video, extended video and film recording modes in the settings? We don't know which one he used or what the difference would be.

Jim Giberti

PostTue Aug 28, 2018 5:32 pm

It looks really wonderfully detailed in 4k with a noticeable lack of moire or aliasing.

Certainly shooting at 400 ISO with the 18-35mm has a lot to do with the look. The Sigma has a similar look shot on the Pocket, Micro and UM IMO.

Chris Chiasson

PostTue Aug 28, 2018 5:46 pm

I hope we later see some footage with people, as well as a night test. But I’m glad we’re seeing footage now. Gives me confidence with the Sept release.

Craig Marshall

PostTue Aug 28, 2018 9:59 pm

And here's a scary 4K HDR version. Seems the cat is well out of the bag...

"For the best experience, please watch this on HDR screen if you can. Regular YouTube viewers get a tonemapped SDR video as the SDR version may not be great as HDR version. SDR users may find this video is overexposure but don't worry, the level exposure is fine on HDR screen as YouTube conversion HDR to SDR does not work every time and remember: this is YouTube. You're not watching the camera's ultimate quality. It's been recompressed."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... J9WhtDVuKM
HDvideo4K.com

Cary Knoop

PostTue Aug 28, 2018 10:04 pm

Craig Marshall wrote:And here's a scary 4K HDR version. Seems the cat is well out of the bag...

"For the best experience, please watch this on HDR screen if you can. Regular YouTube viewers get a tonemapped SDR video as the SDR version may not be great as HDR version. SDR users may find this video is overexposure but don't worry, the level exposure is fine on HDR screen as YouTube conversion HDR to SDR does not work every time and remember: this is YouTube. You're not watching the camera's ultimate quality. It's been recompressed."

Hold on, I am confused. How did the uploader get his hands on the original non-Rec709 to make a HDR version?

Unless the uploader has the camera source he can't make HDR out of Rec709 footage, it would be like making a color image out of a black and white image.
Last edited by Cary Knoop on Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Ryan Payne

PostTue Aug 28, 2018 10:06 pm

Craig Marshall wrote:And here's a scary 4K HDR version. Seems the cat is well out of the bag...

This is not on the official BMD YouTube, did you rip and regrade the YouTube footage then upload to your own channel?

Craig Marshall

PostTue Aug 28, 2018 10:24 pm

Cary Knoop wrote:
Craig Marshall wrote:...Hold on, I am confused. How did the uploader get his hands on the original non-Rec709 to make a HDR version? Unless the uploader has the camera source he can't make HDR out of Rec709 footage, it would be like making a color image out of a black and white image.

You're right Cary, that's the scary bit...
HDvideo4K.com

roger.magnusson

PostTue Aug 28, 2018 10:55 pm

There's a comment on the "HDR" video from the DP - it's fake.

Wayne Steven

PostWed Aug 29, 2018 1:58 am

I'm more impressed by this than the ProRes skin tone footage on John's clip. But Sony has 15 stop sensors, even in 1 inch. I would have preferred that. What people have said here is true, you need to get raw and see what can be done. I don't know why the conversions to 709 are so bad normally. I've seen resolve conversions to 709 which look mind boggling, and the ProRes model example doesn't fill me with confidence. I'm hoping BM can fix this in products. A guy Hrvoje, or something like that does normalisation luts, and you can see the difference between his results and resolve's conversion to 709. He gets blue sky out of whitish messes on consumer stills. Not so much the sensor range, as what these products choose to do with the footage. Actually, I'm hoping to get some of his stuff if I get a pocket 4k.

Thanks Craig. Makes me feel better about it. There was SDR to HDR software announced a few years ago.
aIf you are not truthfully progressive, maybe you shouldn't say anything
bTruthful side topics in-line with or related to, the discussion accepted
cOften people deceive themselves so much they do not understand, even when the truth is explained to them

Cary Knoop

PostWed Aug 29, 2018 3:25 am

Wayne Steven wrote: What people have said here is true, you need to get raw and see what can be done. I don't know why the conversions to 709 are so bad normally. I've seen resolve conversions to 709 which look mind boggling, and the ProRes model example doesn't fill me with confidence. I'm hoping BM can fix this in products.

I am not sure what you want fixed?

The way to do conversions from camera raw or log to Rec709 in Resolve is first to do a technical conversion and then to map the wide dynamic range and larger gamut onto the narrow Rec.709 range and gamut.

There is no universal auto button or magic LUT that does it all for all situations. It means one has to color correct and grade.

Some people do not like color correction/grading, they want 'auto' or some magic LUT. That's fine but then what's the point in recording raw or log?
Just record Rec.709 with a knee or highlight roll-off.

I would think for people who want 'auto' mode the Pocket Cinema Camera 4K may not be the best choice.
Last edited by Cary Knoop on Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sean van Berlo

PostWed Aug 29, 2018 3:37 am

Wayne Steven wrote:I'm more impressed by this than the ProRes skin tone footage on John's clip. But Sony has 15 stop sensors, even in 1 inch. I would have preferred that. What people have said here is true, you need to get raw and see what can be done.

I'm sorry but if you think Sony produces 15 (!) stops of dynamic range in 8-bit video on their 1 inch video sensors (a number their technically amazing full frame photo cameras struggle with, and I have the A7RII), then I have a bridge to sell you.

Craig Marshall

PostWed Aug 29, 2018 4:09 am

Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K Skin Tones - first footage: https://www.redsharknews.com/production ... st-footage

Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4KApple ProRes 422 HQ
ISO1000 and 1250
Olympus Pro 25, 45, 1.2 micro and Olympus Pro 12-100 F4 zoom Micro Four Thirds lenses
HDvideo4K.com

Wayne Steven

PostWed Aug 29, 2018 5:48 am

Cary Knoop wrote:
Wayne Steven wrote: What people have said here is true, you need to get raw and see what can be done. I don't know why the conversions to 709 are so bad normally. I've seen resolve conversions to 709 which look mind boggling, and the ProRes model example doesn't fill me with confidence. I'm hoping BM can fix this in products.

I am not sure what you want fixed?

The way to do conversions from camera raw or log to Rec709 in Resolve is first to do a technical conversion and then to map the wide dynamic range and larger gamut onto the narrow Rec.709 range and gamut.

There is no universal auto button or magic LUT that does it all for all situations. It means one has to color correct and grade.

Some people do not like color correction/grading, they want 'auto' or some magic LUT. That's fine but then what's the point in recording raw or log?
Just record Rec.709 with a knee or highlight roll-off.

I would think for people who want 'auto' mode the Pocket Cinema Camera 4K may not be the best choice.

So, you accusing me of saying "auto" conversion Cary? Where did I say "auto" you mentioned a conversion process and didn't accuse yourself of saying "auto". But what do you think happens to that ProRes footage, and most cameras, even pro cameras (you know, the non cinema types) auto correct. I have got a sub 100 camera that did a better job than many prosumer cameras of the day. Auto graded and recorded to h264.

So, have you tried the lut set of that guy I mentioned? I know about color constancy, but it's a start.
cOften people deceive themselves so much they do not understand, even when the truth is explained to them

Cary Knoop

PostWed Aug 29, 2018 6:47 am

Wayne Steven wrote:So, you accusing me of saying "auto" conversion Cary?

I would not dare :)

Perhaps I misunderstood what you wrote, if so I apologize for that.

Wayne Steven wrote:So, have you tried the lut set of that guy I mentioned? I know about color constancy, but it's a start.

Honestly I am not a fan of LUTs for getting raw or log in the destination range.

I personally believe in this process:

1. Do a technical conversion of the color space to the working color space (anf the destination color space).
There is no magic there, it's simply a numbers game. The only exceptions are if something went wrong during capture, a camera operator using unorthodox settings, wrong exposure, color balance issues etc.

2. Color correct manually to the target color space.
Map the input dynamic range to the target dynamic range keeping in mind the scene, exposure, context, etc. Proper roll-off of the shadows and highlights. The only 'auto' I use is the gamut mapping in the project settings (but no tone mapping).

3. Color Grade
Only in this step would I personally think of using a LUT.

Wayne Steven

PostWed Aug 29, 2018 12:58 pm

Sean van Berlo wrote:I'm sorry but if you think Sony produces 15 (!) stops of dynamic range in 8-bit video on their 1 inch video sensors (a number their technically amazing full frame photo cameras struggle with, and I have the A7RII), then I have a bridge to sell you.

Hmm, lost my post spent hours trying to find the 15 stop references I remember. So, I give up. But you can be happy to know I have an very old hdr still camera I mentioned without screen, that did between 16-20 stops single exposure. I like the stills from that better than the footage from the original pocket, maybe because it's colour filter was not good and accurate like a good Sony sensors. If you look up the meaning of "warmth" which audiophiles prefer, you light pick up on what I think is happening.

Why does everybody think 15 stops is so wonderful? I've seen sensor technology getting 16 stops in around 1976. There has been numerous hdr sensors last decade. 16 stops native is more difficult, not using hdr technologies. At least one elcheapo pocket hd video camera from last decade I have use such chips. So, anybody is welcome to make 15 stop one inch sensors. Sony undoubtedly could put simular pixels into a 1inch sensor. But, if you buy their bridge, then you might believe they can't.

Pity, a related chip in that old camera was rated 70 megabytes person second, enough for 720p24 (there is a lot of data and frame padding in those things) butnI didn't like the signal to noise ration being in the 30-36db range from memory. I think.the company that had that technology was bought by the company that supplied the Arri Alexas sensors years before they came out. Which might mean that technology went up on price (there was other technology acquired by that company before hand too). Actually, it makes sense, improving the colour and signal to noise ratio, might have been done with a less aggressive dynamic range of the Arri. Some of these non-multiple exposure hdr scheemes suffer from noise and artifacts and other quality issues from the hdr circuits itself. The Red boss once ruled out using some of them on quality grounds. The smalsensor company chips definitely had some noise and low quality/featureless hdr zones at the top end (I don't think I had much trouble in real world ussage, but the security stuff was funky. But there was another tech (the 16 stop 1976 one) which could do over 30 stops with good colour balance eventually (colour constancy with increased brightness us a real big problem with hdr) over a decade ago I think. There is also a new technology in development similar to my own proposal years ago, which counts photons (or charge) promising big dynamic ranges without highlights. Hopefully that will pan out in higher resolution video. I don't think that 15 stop is so precious.

Wayne Steven

PostWed Aug 29, 2018 1:23 pm

Thanks Cary. Actually, the whole idea of that guy's luts is to balance out the sensor/cameras deficiency, normalise the image before correction.

I have managed to find it:
http://omeneo.com/primers/

Return to Cinematography