Please address mp4 airdrop issue

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

James Harkness

Please address mp4 airdrop issue

PostSat Aug 25, 2018 6:31 pm

It has become quite inconvenient for me to have to use another program for my mp4 files. This only happened VERY recently and I have tested that it is a problem with how Davinci Resolve is wrapping the file.

Once the delivery is finished through DR as an MP4, I try to airdrop and once the airdrop is complete, on the device I am told it cannot save it to the device and am offered to save it to icloud instead. This wasn't an issue before, and is not an issue if I take that exact MP4, OR the original Prores Master, and run it through Adobe Media Encoder (which I'd rather not have to do).

Please fix the MP4 codec in the delivery page so I can do everything inside of Davinci Resolve again. Also please let me know that this has been acknowledged, or direct me to where I need to send this message.

Shrinivas Ramani

Blackmagic Design

Re: Please address mp4 airdrop issue

PostTue Aug 28, 2018 8:31 am

Hi James

I did a quick test with 14.3.1 and 15.0 - and MP4s rendered from both work on an iPhone.

The test was was done using an Untitled project, a simple mov clip (1080p, 23.976 fps), a simple timeline of the same res and fps and a render using the default mp4 settings in Deliver page.

I am not sure if you're inadvertently exceeding the resolution or bitrate or one of the many restrictions placed on mp4 videos to be iOS compatible, but it would help if you can pass us a simple project export and a sample clip that succeeds on 14.3.1 (or whatever your latest working version was) but not on 15.0.

Feel free to DM me the links if you would rather not post them on the forum

James Harkness

Re: Please address mp4 airdrop issue

PostTue Aug 28, 2018 6:04 pm

Hey Shrinivas. I was able to recreate the problem in a 4000x2160 timeline, rendering a ProRes Quicktime clip to MP4 h.264 3840 x 2160 UHD setting. I have tested RAW .dng file as well, and the only problem I ever run into is when I use the UHD resolution. It actually airdrops if I do 2560 x 1440. None of the clips that I render out of DR15 show the extension .mp4 on my desktop anymore either which is very strange.

The same UHD clip that doesnt airdrop to my ipad, WILL airdrop after I have ran it through adobe media encoder. There is a problem with the way the UHD files are being wrapped in DR15.

This problem was happening for every single resolution I was doing before. it seems to have gotten fixed for but not for UHD. iOS Airdropis not limited to these resolutions or bitrates because I used to airdrop massive 4K videos to my boss's cellphone, with the exact same settings in Davinci Resolve 15 BETA, and still can when I use adobe media encoder. I even restricted the bitrate in the delivery page to see if that was the problem but it isnt, and was never a problem before either.

Here is a project file and clip of mine you can test. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Gm5cs ... 6pc9qRa6hq

Return to DaVinci Resolve