Black Screen - help

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

TheLazyC

Black Screen - help

PostWed Aug 22, 2018 11:40 pm

I am using a MacBook Pro running MacOS 10.13.5 and have purchased a Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini Recorder for streaming live audio/video to YouTube and/or Facebook Live.

I have the Thunderbolt model and have loaded drivers, etc. OBS and Blackmagic Media Express as well as YouTube and Facebook recognize that the device is connected. I have a white light on at the Thunderbolt plug.I have configured the input to HDMI and made no other changes and saved.

I was trying to stream from my Nikon D500 and cannot get a video to display. I can plug the D500 up to a 4k 7" monitor and get a nice video.

I just get a black screen in all programs. In playing around I plugged up my AppleTV and it was black as well, turned, unplugged and replugged the HDMI and all of a sudden I was able to see my AppleTV within the capture window. So I knew it was working, unplugged and plugged back up to the camera and still just a black screen.

What am I leaving out or doing wrong?

Xtreemtec

Re: Black Screen - help

PostThu Aug 23, 2018 7:33 am

Be sure you send in the correct resolution and framerate.. the Ultrastudio only goes up to 1080I not 1080P while the Nikon will send out 1080P or higher..

You image from the Appletv is probbably due too that the appletv for a brief moment got down to 720P.. ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

TC Conway

PostMon Sep 03, 2018 8:33 pm

I too am having that problem, sort of.

I have the UltraStudio HD Mini with a Teranex Mini Smart Panel. I'm sending video from a Hyperdeck mini to the Ultrastudio with a Teranex sreen connected. The screen shows the incoming source as SDI, video format as 1080i59.94 and buffer at 19fr, but no picture or audio bars movement on the Teranex screen. BUT...I can see/hear picture perfectly in Media Express on the computer.

TheLazyC: Are you getting picture/sound in Media Express, and not on the Teranex screen?

TheLazyC

PostMon Sep 03, 2018 9:03 pm

TC Conway wrote:I too am having that problem, sort of.

I have the UltraStudio HD Mini with a Teranex Mini Smart Panel. The panel shows the source as SDI, video format as 1080i59.94 and buffer at 19fr. But no picture or audio bars movement. BUT...I can see/hear picture perfectly in Media Express on the computer.

TheLazyC: Are you getting picture/sound in Media Express, and not on the Teranex screen?

I am not getting it anywhere. I have not tried anymore, but it was suggested that I had picked the wrong format, I should have picked 1080i rather than p

Xtreemtec

PostTue Sep 04, 2018 3:42 pm

@TC.. Topic starter is talking about Ultrastudio mini recorder. Not the HD with teranex screen..
The mini will only capture up to 1080i50/60 or up to 1080P25/30 maximum!

PS. Check if there is a FW update for yours.. Might fix the screen issue..
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

kylemay

PostFri Aug 09, 2019 9:21 pm

Curious if anybody found a solution to this problem. I have the same issue, but looking at the specs for the UltraStudio Mini Recorder, it does support 1080p30. With that said, I have tried every setting possible on my D500 and cannot get the UltraStudio to detect it. Video appears fine plugged directly into a monitor. Other devices into the UltraStudio work fine including 1080p30 devices. D500 is the only device I cannot get to work.

tomofoslo

PostMon Oct 14, 2019 8:50 pm

Seems to have the same issue: Black screen on my MacBook Pro. Both with QuickTime Player and Wirecast.

So it might be the input mode. I see my Panasonic HC-VXF1 have 4 1080/50i options:
PH
HA
HG
HE

So far I haven't been able to get anything but a black screen.
Attachments
Screenshot 2019-10-14 22.49.24.png
Screenshot 2019-10-14 22.49.24.png (210.96 KiB) Viewed 6149 times

Artjoms

PostWed Nov 06, 2019 11:24 am

I faced the same problem - black screen, and something amazingly worked! My setup: Panasonic Lumix G7 - Mini Recorder - Thunderbolt converter - iMac - mimoLive.
Although I've been recording with my setup for about a year, it suddenly became black. I checked & reinstalled everything, but in vain. Then I just connected my camera toy friend's iMac with the same chain in between. Surprisingly, the signal appeared. Then I again connected it to my computer, and...here it was AGAIN !!!!
No idea how it happened, but I would advice to try this magic trick to anyone facing the same black screen issue.

Terrell

PostWed Mar 25, 2020 5:48 pm

Hello I am using a Nikon d7500 but it's not showing me a black screen in Blackmagic Media Express.
Not sure what to do, I've adjusted the settings to match the camera and media express still nothing. can anyone help

blues4life

PostWed Mar 25, 2020 7:11 pm

Terrell wrote:Hello I am using a Nikon d7500 but it's not showing me a black screen in Blackmagic Media Express.
Not sure what to do, I've adjusted the settings to match the camera and media express still nothing. can anyone help

Check your Apple System Preferences, Security & Privacy > Camera Access & Mic Access. In addition, you should see something like, "Black Magic Desktop Video" listed on lowest row inside Apple> System Preferences. Open that up and configure the settings to match your other settings.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-03-25 at 2.10.51 PM.png
This is the icon from system preferences
Screen Shot 2020-03-25 at 2.10.51 PM.png (11.47 KiB) Viewed 5250 times

Return to Live Production