ATEM Camera Control Panel without a switcher?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Matt Penn

ATEM Camera Control Panel without a switcher?

PostFri Sep 07, 2018 5:12 pm

Curious about using the nicely designed Blackmagic ATEM Camera Control Panel without an ATEM switcher. We are already invested in another switcher system, but our cameras will all be Ursa Mini Pro based. Is Blackmagic's CCU designed to function only with their ATEM switchers? Will I need to go with a 3rd party brand such as SKAARHOJ for an External CCU panel, or could I possibly interface the Blackmagic panel with their Arduino Shield or some software solution to allow me to use their control surface?
Post Production Supervisor / Director / Cinematographer / Editor

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

Re: ATEM Camera Control Panel without a switcher?

PostFri Sep 07, 2018 8:19 pm

Hello Matt. These are logical questions. All Blackmagic CCU electronics is built into ATEM switchers. The Camera Control Panel as well as software and "some" third party controllers are connected via Ethernet to the ATEM switcher. Some third party controllers are based upon our Shield for Arduino which is also capable of camera control. To use the ATEM Camera Control Panel, you will need an ATEM. The least expensive ATEM is the Television Studio HD which will control up to 8 cameras. You do not need to use the ATEM for video switching but it is necessary for camera control. Also the Camera Control Panel is designed to switch the Auxiliary output of the ATEM for the camera control person to view on a monitor and scopes. Hope that helps.

Regards, Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

Greg Paul

PostSat Sep 15, 2018 3:07 pm

Gary Adams wrote:Hello Matt. These are logical questions. All Blackmagic CCU electronics is built into ATEM switchers. The Camera Control Panel as well as software and "some" third party controllers are connected via Ethernet to the ATEM switcher. Some third party controllers are based upon our Shield for Arduino which is also capable of camera control. To use the ATEM Camera Control Panel, you will need an ATEM. The least expensive ATEM is the Television Studio HD which will control up to 8 cameras. You do not need to use the ATEM for video switching but it is necessary for camera control. Also the Camera Control Panel is designed to switch the Auxiliary output of the ATEM for the camera control person to view on a monitor and scopes. Hope that helps.

Regards, Gary

Gary. Couple of questions for you...
1) I have an ATEM TVS HD. I use the Aux out to feed presenter notes from Keynote to my Teleprompter. Would the camera control feature in the ATEM prevent me from continuing to do this?

2) I am considering purchasing a Micro Studio 4k camera. I understand that camera and the ATEM TVS HD will communicate. Is that accurate? Also, what low-cost lens is compatible with the camera and ATEM software control, and would give me full control over zoom, color correction, etc.?

Regards,
Greg
Greg Paul

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

PostSun Sep 16, 2018 4:57 pm

Hello Greg.

1) You do not have to use the Aux for Camera Control Monitoring. This can easily be disabled to protect your other uses of the Aux. output.
2) The Micro Studio 4K is fully controlled by ATEM switchers. There is a list of known MFT lenses with server zooms on our web site. https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support/faq/59009

Regards, Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

Ridley Combs

PostTue Dec 14, 2021 6:03 am

Sorry to resurrect such an old thread, but a question: is it possible to use an ATEM switcher to embed CCU signals, but passthrough tally from an external source (i.e. another switcher that supports the blackmagic SDI tally protocol, like a TriCaster)? It'd be particularly nice to have a mode that passed through through tally from one of the SDI inputs, but could also flash tally when a call button is pressed.

I can imagine doing this using a couple blackmagic arduino shields to de-embed tally before the dummy switcher and re-embed it after, but that would discard call-button signals… This is also a bit awkward around source numbering, since if you have 4 SDI cameras numbered 1-4, you'd be stuck using inputs 5-8 on a Television Studio HD or Production Studio 4K, which I'd imagine would lead to some UI confusion.

Xtreemtec

PostTue Dec 14, 2021 10:34 am

Ridley Combs wrote:Sorry to resurrect such an old thread, but a question: is it possible to use an ATEM switcher to embed CCU signals, but passthrough tally from an external source (i.e. another switcher that supports the blackmagic SDI tally protocol, like a TriCaster)? It'd be particularly nice to have a mode that passed through through tally from one of the SDI inputs, but could also flash tally when a call button is pressed.

I can imagine doing this using a couple blackmagic arduino shields to de-embed tally before the dummy switcher and re-embed it after, but that would discard call-button signals… This is also a bit awkward around source numbering, since if you have 4 SDI cameras numbered 1-4, you'd be stuck using inputs 5-8 on a Television Studio HD or Production Studio 4K, which I'd imagine would lead to some UI confusion.

Just use 1 Shield behind the Atem that embeds tally for ALL cameras from your other switcher. ;)
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=70657
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Return to Live Production