Displaying output from Intensity Pro 4K capture card on PC

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

morriswoodyman

Displaying output from Intensity Pro 4K capture card on PC

PostWed Sep 12, 2018 11:41 am

I run the video system for our church and we recently fitted a video camera whose HDMI output is fed into a Windows 10 PC via an Intensity Pro 4K capture card. The feed from the camera appears clearly on the capture and editing software supplied with the card but I want to display the live camera feed full screen on a secondary display (video projector) connected to the PC. This isn't possible with the capture software and I wondered if anyone can recommend some simple software (low cost or free would be wonderful) that would show the camera feed and nothing else.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Eric-Jan

Re: Displaying output from Intensity Pro 4K capture card on

PostWed Sep 12, 2018 6:40 pm

The cheapest way would be a HDMI splitter between the camera and the capture card, (if that will work) where one output goes to the capture card and one output to HDMI video projector, but your setup is starting to grow now, and for doing it right, you need the more advanced (switching) equipment BMD has :) you get more (easy) control, and overview that way.
Or change the capture card, which would be cheaper, but you might have to change your setup, because multiple inputs come only in the SDI format, (as far as i know) and you might need also to adapt to that :(
Look at the Product index on the BlackMagic Design website, this is as far my knowledge goes, in the short time i learned about Blackmagic Design, there are different options, depending also if this is only for a short time or a more permanent situation.

btw. depending on the length of the HDMI cable(s)or distance, you might be better of with a SDI adaption anyway.... HDMI cables should not be too long.
Intensity Shuttle, ATEM Mini, Video Assist 5"(mini USB), Hyperdeck ShuttleHD,Analog to SDI mini-converter, software: Davinci Resolve 15 on Sierra, Resolve 18 on Catalina. (Using Apple OS 32 & 64 bit on different MacBook Pro's

morriswoodyman

PostThu Sep 13, 2018 5:36 pm

We already have the facility to switch HDMI inputs to the video projectors but the switch over is a bit jumpy and takes a second or 2 to stabilise whereas swapping between windows on the PC is much neater and faster. That was the reason for going for the capture card in the first place. I just assumed it would be easy to display the output on the pc. If I could 'undock' the preview window on the bundled capture software life would be simple but that option doesn't seem to be there.

Eric-Jan

PostFri Sep 14, 2018 9:11 am

You might want email BlackMagic Design directly for this,(if your forum question will not be answered) because of the specific nature of your question, i have done this also recently, and i got very good help this way, try to give as much as possible info about your setup, and what you want to achieve, and like you said, the problems you now have.
Intensity Shuttle, ATEM Mini, Video Assist 5"(mini USB), Hyperdeck ShuttleHD,Analog to SDI mini-converter, software: Davinci Resolve 15 on Sierra, Resolve 18 on Catalina. (Using Apple OS 32 & 64 bit on different MacBook Pro's

morriswoodyman

PostSun Sep 16, 2018 8:13 am

Thanks Eric, I'll see what ideas Blackmagic can come up with.

Ian Morrish

PostSun Sep 16, 2018 6:37 pm

I use the free ffplay, part of ffmpeg) to display hdmi full screen. It is also possibly low enough latency for use with iMag but I have not tested this.

See https://wp.me/p1c1R6-n0
For the cammands I used to launch it.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Regards,
Ian Morrish
Video Integrated Scripting Environment
(Windows PowerShell with ATEM driver + more)
https://ianmorrish.wordpress.com

morriswoodyman

PostTue Sep 18, 2018 12:41 pm

Thanks Ian, that could be just what I'm looking for.
Mark

morriswoodyman

PostThu Sep 20, 2018 6:42 pm

Chris from Blackmagic design has come up with the goods. OBS from https://obsproject.com/ is freeware that includes the option to display the input to the capture card full screen.
Thank you for all your help.
Mark

Return to Getting Started