Audio Inputs Grayed Out Fairlight

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Edrick Smith

Audio Inputs Grayed Out Fairlight

PostSat Sep 08, 2018 3:15 am

So I'm trying to record from my Focusrite 2i2 to Davinci. I've created an audio track and in farlight go into the Input selection and click where it says No Input selected Input and selected Microphone 1 which is faded in color but still lets me select it and patch it to the Audio 3 track I made. I enable record and hit record but I get nothing no audio levels and no recording. The Focusrite is registering levels and I've tested before that I can record into Audition from Adobe. I've tried rebooting the system and checking the davinci preferences and can't seem to figure it out.

I don't know if the audio channels both of them in the Input Patch are again a faded color but it still lets me select them and patch to them.
C47Studios.com | Los Angeles, California

Edrick Smith

Re: Audio Inputs Grayed Out Fairlight

PostSat Sep 08, 2018 6:15 pm

Edrick Smith wrote:So I'm trying to record from my Focusrite 2i2 to Davinci. I've created an audio track and in farlight go into the Input selection and click where it says No Input selected Input and selected Microphone 1 which is faded in color but still lets me select it and patch it to the Audio 3 track I made. I enable record and hit record but I get nothing no audio levels and no recording. The Focusrite is registering levels and I've tested before that I can record into Audition from Adobe. I've tried rebooting the system and checking the davinci preferences and can't seem to figure it out.

I don't know if the audio channels both of them in the Input Patch are again a faded color but it still lets me select them and patch to them.

Also to note im running 15.0.1 on Windows 10

Edrick Smith

PostSat Sep 15, 2018 2:29 am

No one?

Same problem with OS X and Davinci.

So I have no clue if it's something I'm doing or something wrong with the software.

I've plugged my 2i2 into both the Windows System and the Mac System and when I go into Davinci and go to Fairlight and select the input for the channel it shows the systems inputs and those are colored normally, but the focusrite shows "grayed" out.

On the Mac even though I have the focusrite channels selected it uses the systems built in microphone still.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-09-14 at 10.30.00 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-09-14 at 10.30.00 PM.png (41.12 KiB) Viewed 3156 times
Screen Shot 2018-09-14 at 10.27.16 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-09-14 at 10.27.16 PM.png (43.67 KiB) Viewed 3156 times

Mike Halper

PostSat Sep 15, 2018 4:19 am

I was having the same issue the other day. I noticed today it was working after I installed 15.1.0.
IMac Pro Hackintosh, 10 core i9, 64GB RAM, Radeon VII, Decklink 4K Mini Monitor, macOS 10.14.5, DaVinci Resolve Studio license

Edrick Smith

PostSat Sep 15, 2018 3:53 pm

Mike Halper wrote:I was having the same issue the other day. I noticed today it was working after I installed 15.1.0.

Updated to 15.1.0 still the same problem, amazed no one from DaVinci has read this. Days in now and I still can't do any audio work. Works fine with every other application including Avid.

Edrick Smith

PostSun Sep 16, 2018 5:54 pm

Edrick Smith wrote:
Mike Halper wrote:I was having the same issue the other day. I noticed today it was working after I installed 15.1.0.

Updated to 15.1.0 still the same problem, amazed no one from DaVinci has read this. Days in now and I still can't do any audio work. Works fine with every other application including Avid.

Anyone ideas, questions, comments, concerns? :cry:

Edrick Smith

PostWed Sep 19, 2018 10:13 pm

Alright great going on two weeks now of not being able to do voice track recordings in Fairlight

Brad Hurley

PostWed Sep 19, 2018 10:27 pm

Just as a basic check, did you follow every step in this video in the correct order?

https://www.rippletraining.com/articles ... esolve-14/

This is for Resolve 14, not 15, but the basic setup should be similar.
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

Edrick Smith

PostFri Sep 21, 2018 2:19 am

Brad Hurley wrote:Just as a basic check, did you follow every step in this video in the correct order?

https://www.rippletraining.com/articles ... esolve-14/

This is for Resolve 14, not 15, but the basic setup should be similar.

On Windows with the latest DaVinci and following those instructions I now get audio however it's crackly. In its live preview

Brad Hurley

PostFri Sep 21, 2018 11:10 am

Edrick Smith wrote:
On Windows with the latest DaVinci and following those instructions I now get audio however it's crackly. In its live preview

There are at least a couple possible reasons why you're experiencing this problem and I'm not:

1. Windows version vs. Mac; I remember Windows users were having problems with audio in the beta versions of Resolve 15, and it may be that some of those issues haven't yet been fixed, given the number of complaints about audio that we're seeing on the forum. I'm using the Mac version and haven't experienced any problems recording.

2. Your interface: Obviously your Focusrite is working fine in other programs, but it's conceivable that it doesn't play well with Resolve. I'm using a Class 2 USB interface (requires no drivers), the Sound Devices USBPre2, and am getting good clean sound when I record a voiceover. I wonder if you could experiment by borrowing someone else's interface (if you know anyone who has one) to see if that makes a difference. It would rule out one variable.
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

Return to DaVinci Resolve