Getting Started with the ATEM Studio Production 4k

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

jamesbcreighton

Getting Started with the ATEM Studio Production 4k

PostWed Sep 12, 2018 7:05 pm

Hello Guys:

I'm new to this forum (my name is Jay Creighton) and I hope I can find some assistance. I'm NOT a broadcast switcher professional. I'm an attorney and law school professor who has built a professional-grade video studio in my garage (with two Canon camcorders (XF-105 model), LED lights, teleprompter, Auralex acoustic tiles, insulation, updated electrical, etc.) and I plan to record (and, eventually, live stream) webinars to my students and other target audiences on subjects in my specialty. I don't plan to shoot video anywhere else but in my studio.

I have the ATEM Production Studio 4k and the UltraStudio 4k (I know, I probably have more than I need to get started). I am doing my best to learn what I need to know about these switchers to get started. I've had a hard time finding broadcast professionals in my area who could assist me (I live and work in Sacramento, CA).

I would be very appreciative if anyone on this forum would point me to useful posts or other members who can assist me. I do not mind paying for the advice I receive. I'm working my way through the ATEM Production Switcher manual (December 2014 version) but would also appreciate tips from those of you who are professionals in this industry.

Thank you for your time. I am very appreciative.
Jay Creighton

Thomas Seewald

Re: Getting Started with the ATEM Studio Production 4k

PostThu Sep 13, 2018 5:26 am

Wellcome to the forum. I,m pretty sure, that you will get a lot of answers, whe you ask your questions. But first my...

You wrote, that you have built a studio. So what is already working and what are you steps, where advise will be needed ?
thos-berlin - Thomas S e e w a l d

MambaFiber.com

PostThu Sep 13, 2018 2:49 pm

Hi Jay, and welcome.

As Thomas suggested, jump right in with your questions you are sure to get some responses. Are your issues more engineering (getting it to work) or production (graphics design, content) related? Sounds like you have a good start to the gear.

As for local help (well sort of), Twit.TV is based in Petaluma, home of Leo the Tech Guy. They run a great podcast network and use a lot of ATEM/Tricaster gear for their shows. Maybe they could offer some help.

Failing local help, there are several of us here that do consulting/training/installing. YouTube has many good videos on the ATEM series. The FaceBook page "BlackMagic Design ATEM Users" is another good resource.
Greg Bellotte - owner
MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

jamesbcreighton

PostFri Sep 14, 2018 10:04 pm

Thank you, Thomas and Greg, for taking the time to respond to my inquiry.

To respond to Greg's question (Are your issues more engineering (getting it to work) or production (graphics design, content) related?), my problem at this point is ensuring that everything is connected properly so that both cameras and the input from my PowerPoint slide source show up on my MacBook Pro via the Blackmagic software.

I will survey the YouTube arena to find ATEM tutorials. I'm not a stupid person (at least I don't think so) but having spent my entire career in law (and not broadcast engineering), I find it difficult to learn the "lingo," the language, if you will, regarding what all the parts are called and what plug goes where. The guys I've hired for assistance in the past haven't excelled at teaching this stuff--they were younger and just jumped in without reading the manuals. That made it difficult for me to follow what they were doing.

As I think I mentioned in my earlier post, I'm not going to be moving my equipment once I've set it up for recording/live streaming.

Thanks again. I'll let you know if I need additional instruction. I appreciate your time.

Jay
Jay Creighton

Thomas Seewald

PostSat Sep 15, 2018 11:39 am

Ask whatever younwant whenever you want. I‘m sure you (or we) get your studio rocking....
Maybe you have some photos ? We are always very interested in other peoples environment.
thos-berlin - Thomas S e e w a l d

Paukenist&Zn

PostFri Mar 06, 2020 10:46 am

Dear all,

I'm a user for a few months and I have discovered a lot of nice features.
The issue is that I havent access to my atem 1m/e production studio 4k at home; it is in the church.
So I would like to practise a bit at my MacBook.
Do you know if there is a possibility that I can mimic the presence of the switcher.
So train with the software without having the switcher in my home.

Thanks,
Jacko
Jacko Duker

Return to Live Production