No Update for Ursa Broadcast at IBC?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Knut Bussian

No Update for Ursa Broadcast at IBC?

PostFri Sep 14, 2018 10:13 am

No fixes / improvements have been made to Talkback nor Iris handling? A Camera 6.0 Beta for UMP instead, which doesn't seem to adress any of the issues of the Ursa Broadcast.

Thank you, Blackmagicdesign.

Very disappointing...

Matt Certa

Re: No Update for Ursa Broadcast at IBC?

PostFri Sep 14, 2018 2:34 pm

We know BM will never reveal anything before they are ready to, or admit things are broken. So hopefully the next iteration of the beta will include Broadcast fixes once they clear through Pro issues? I say this as I finish looming XLR to my SMPTE fiber for clearcom. But yes it continues to be frustrating.

Denny Smith

PostFri Sep 14, 2018 7:09 pm

BM has already released a FW 5.1.1 upgrade for the Broadcast recently addressing the iris issue:
What's new in Blackmagic Camera Setup 5.1.1
New features for URSA Broadcast
Smoother, faster iris control for B4 and PL servo lenses from camera.
Smoother, faster iris control for EF 'Hybrid Compact Servo’ lenses.
Smoother, faster iris control for servo lenses via SDI Camera Control...

I am going to be testing this today on the Broadcast with a Angenieux 5.7-64 HR Servo ENG B4 Zoom, to see how smooth iris changes are, and test lens control with the CCU commands.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Denny Smith

PostSat Sep 15, 2018 5:25 am

OK, testedmrhe new Angenieux ENG zoom on the Broadcast camera. Auto iris was quick and smooth setting. Changing the iris in Auto Iris mode, using the wheel,on the camera gave some low clicks as it moved the iris, but the change looked smooth on the screen. This is a slow movement, good for tweaking the exposure by less thst a f//stop. A faster way, if you are on sticks, and have the monitor open, is to pull down the f/stop and use the on screen slider for a very fas or slow smooth iris change, no jumps, no clicking.

Next I am testing the ATEM CCU lens commands and see if the iris change their is smooth, and IPad app. Since the the on screen control is smooth, I think this will also be a smooth change. The issues others have had with the iris moving in steps seems to be more about how the lens is interacting with the Broadcast camera, than an issue with just the camera. But FW 5.1.1 seems to have smoothed out the Iris control.

Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Xtreemtec

PostMon Sep 17, 2018 6:06 pm

I addressed my issues about the talkback and Auto iris handeling at IBC.. They could tell me they are working on those. But could not give a release date yet. ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Matt Certa

PostMon Sep 17, 2018 6:49 pm

Glad to hear. Hopefully they are working on the lens com toggle for handheld operators as part of that?

Return to Live Production