Product updates coming?

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

nyc_derek

Product updates coming?

PostThu Sep 13, 2018 7:15 am

So the Intensity Shuttle and the UltraStudio Mini Recorder are both getting up there in age. The Thunderbolt versions of both use Thunderbolt 2. I'm wondering if there are any plans to update these to the new version of Thunderbolt. Particularly the Mini Recorder as the prospect of using it with new laptops that have TB3 ports would require not only an adapter but the more expensive TB2 cables adding an extra $80 to the price.

Any insight into the future road-map of these products would be great. If they're not going to be updated any time soon I might just have to bite the bullet but if updated versions are on the horizon I would much rather hold off.

Klose2002

Re: Product updates coming?

PostFri Sep 14, 2018 9:28 am

I want to upgrade my product first. Just wait for the product reviews.

Eric-Jan

PostFri Sep 14, 2018 10:10 am

On the other hand, if you buy a second hand MacBook Pro,or still using it, and it has Thunderbolt2, you're fine.
If only a UltraStudio Mini Recorder with Thunderbolt3 is available, you have to buy a new MacBook Pro,
It's a chicken an egg s(h)ituation :0
I hope both "formats" stay available, maybe in the future i upgrade my MacBook Pro....
I think BMD is doing a good job, and making a lot of people happy, who els could not affort these video "needs"
and still with a high quality.
The previous MacBook Pro's allways where a better choice connecting wise, so there are people who still favour these.
Only the newer Mac's lack connectivety, and Apple want you to buy the external interface for it, i think that's not consumer friendly, the newer connections will be faster ofcourse, and i think BMD will also make sensible "moves" toward that, the UltraStudio mini Recorder is a handy device, The Intensity Shuttle (Tb2) also,
very affordable, good quality, they perform very well with my MacBook Pro (13" 8GB 2015),
And have done some exellent VHS > MP4 transfers, also because there are still some VCR's around that give a stable video signal. (Panasonic, JVC)
Intensity Shuttle, ATEM Mini, Video Assist 5"(mini USB), Hyperdeck ShuttleHD,Analog to SDI mini-converter, software: Davinci Resolve 15 on Sierra, Resolve 18 on Catalina. (Using Apple OS 32 & 64 bit on different MacBook Pro's

Xtreemtec

PostMon Sep 17, 2018 6:27 pm

Here is your wanted upgrade..
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... /W-DLUS-10

With Thunderbolt 3 / USB-C and able to capture 1080P60.. ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Eric-Jan

PostMon Sep 17, 2018 6:35 pm

With free front panel :)
Intensity Shuttle, ATEM Mini, Video Assist 5"(mini USB), Hyperdeck ShuttleHD,Analog to SDI mini-converter, software: Davinci Resolve 15 on Sierra, Resolve 18 on Catalina. (Using Apple OS 32 & 64 bit on different MacBook Pro's

nyc_derek

PostMon Sep 17, 2018 7:09 pm

How'd I not think of spending $500 dollars instead of buying an adapter :lol: . Of course the HD Mini doesn't have an HDMI input. Back to the drawing board I guess. ;)

Eric-Jan

PostMon Sep 17, 2018 9:40 pm

Next to the HDMI input are only the analog connections, new computer hardware will add not extra value or quality.
A complete hardware solution would be a better solution, to exclude any MAC evolution.

Return to Getting Started