Loupedeck control surface

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Ellory Yu

PostThu Sep 13, 2018 6:32 pm

Some of you may have heard of the Loupedeck control panel. I think it has all the knobs, wheels, and buttons that can be a nice control panel for Resolve. Unfortunately the manufacturer makes it only for Lightroom. Does anyone know if this can be programmed (or reprogrammed) so that it will work with Resolve? At less than $200USD, it could be a cheap alternative and seats above or below a regular keyboard and mouse.

https://loupedeck.com/
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Peter Benson

Re: Loupedeck control surface

PostThu Sep 13, 2018 9:17 pm

Hello, Ellory! Have you or *anyone* to your knowledge, gone to a "Loupedeck" manufacturer site. Email list or forum and there, generated a DaVinci Resolve Endusers letter-writing campaign to get us to join you in such an effort to urgently request Loupedeck hardware DaVinci Resolve support?

What a valiant and wildly inspiring idea! "Nod, nod, wink. wink, 'Know what I mean?"

ResolveStudio 14.3...014 | MiniMonitor | DTV 10.9.7 | Win8.1 x64 | ROG G751JL, 2.8GHz Intel i7HQ, 24GB DDR4, 1TB HD, 500GB EVO 850, 2GB GTX965M | Mackie MCU Pro | Softube Console 1 Mkii | Shuttle Pro 2 | more...
DTV 10.9.7 > Kingston SD5000T > MiniMonitor > Bravia | Samsung U28D590 | DRS 14.3.0.014 | Win8.1 x64 | ASUS G751JL, i7-4720HQ, 24GB | GTX965M | 1TB HDD, 500GB EVO 850 SSD | MCU Pro | Softube Console 1 Mkii | Shuttle Pro 2

Ellory Yu

PostFri Sep 14, 2018 6:10 am

Hi Peter. I did wrote them an email with such request before but never heard back. :( However if there are a number of DR users who will email them requesting Loupedeck hardware DR support, there may just be an incentive on their end to just do so or at least consider it. They're in Finland.
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Ryan Bloomer

PostFri Sep 14, 2018 12:14 pm

At it's core, the Loupedeck is a midi controller. I haven't tried it yet, but have always been interested in midi controllers (especially for automated audio like the faderport16). There is a midi translator program that can re-assign midi controls to application specific usage called bome midi translator. If Loupedeck doesn't write a version for DR you couple possibly do it yourself.

https://www.bome.com/products/miditranslator

Ellory Yu

PostFri Sep 14, 2018 1:15 pm

I got an email back from Loupedeck. Here is what they said:

Hi Ellory,

We will next week announce something in terms of video.

However DaVinci Resolve 15 won´t be included as Blackmagic is not giving us access to their API. Which is understandable because they want to protect their own hardware products.

Stay tuned!

//Felix

On the Midi controller front, I know Glen Venghaus has some midi scripts to work on midi controllers that can be use as control surface on the Mac

http://posttools.tachyon-consulting.com/

I just hope BMD will allow for more open API so that there will be more controllers that works with Resolve. Yes, I understand they are protecting their own hardware products, but that can also go against them for being a closed source or technology. I don't think anyone will compete with BMD on their middle to high end control surface at all. Anyway, that's my hope.

Ellory Yu

PostFri Sep 14, 2018 9:39 pm

I got an email from Loupedeck. They said if Blackmagic gives them access to the API they will start the project to make a Loupedeck for Resolve 15 immediately.

So BMD, if you're reading this, PLEASE GIVE US THE OPTION TO HAVE ANOTHER CONTROL FOR RESOLVE!!!

Many of use can use a portable $200 surface controller for a $295 Da Vinci Resolve Studio product. Please!!!

Peter Benson

PostSat Sep 15, 2018 5:17 am

Ellory, I applaud your efforts, only you forgot to convey to us Loupedeck's website URL and their customer feedback Email Address you used to reach "Felix".

ALSO:
@Glenn Venghaus, come in! Your critically important genius is being requested Sir!

What do you think of LOUPEDECK Controller for Adobe products' viability as a DaVinci Resolve surface controller -- perhaps at the very least, as a "channel strip audio controller within the DaVinci Resolve FAIRLIGHT Audio Page, alongside your current AKAI APC40 and Arturia Beatstep Redolve Edition controller offerings?

We'd love to hear whatever feedback you'd like to offer us, Glenn!
[Re]Pete

ResolveStudio 14.3...014 | MiniMonitor | DTV 10.9.7 | Win8.1 x64 | ROG G751JL, 2.8GHz Intel i7HQ, 24GB DDR4, 1TB HD, 500GB EVO 850, 2GB GTX965M | Mackie MCU Pro | Softube Console 1 Mkii | Shuttle Pro 2 | more...
DTV 10.9.7 > Kingston SD5000T > MiniMonitor > Bravia | Samsung U28D590 | DRS 14.3.0.014 | Win8.1 x64 | ASUS G751JL, i7-4720HQ, 24GB | GTX965M | 1TB HDD, 500GB EVO 850 SSD | MCU Pro | Softube Console 1 Mkii | Shuttle Pro 2

Glenn Venghaus

PostSat Sep 15, 2018 11:49 am

@Peter,

I had already adressed the Loupedeck in a few other post , but here we go.
As far as i know (and i looked at it in my search for a new portable target controller after my apc40 project and when i ultimately decided to go for the beatstep), the loopdeck is NOT just a midi controller. Correct me if i am wrong, but it seemed to only work with a proprietary software . So for it to be usefull at all for treating it as a midi controller like i do and attach programming/logic etc to it , it needs to have some sort of dumb midi mode, sending out a (suitable !!) midi message for reach controller touched.

Separately and more to the specific hardware, you cant just randomly pick any midi controller as it needs to be "suitable" for the purpose of creating a logically laid out control surface and the physical features need to be suitable for dynamic changing controls of the type usefull for resolve. Just beeing able to map a few things means nothing without logic and user feedback. Ok for a buttons box (like i use a launchpad mini or for the popular other small button boxes around). And just that it sends out midi will also not mean the type of message or how (looped, endless , etc etc) wil be very usefull. Some are more usefull then others.
Hence i would have still chosen for the beatstep due to the perfect combinations of sufficient number of buttons and "endless" knobs, a useful midi implementation and super important programmable leds for feedback. For control itself, endless knobs is what you need the most ,but with buttons you can create logic and a user friendly controller. And with programmable lights you can program the all important user feedback absolutely required when mapping a thousand functions on a few knobs and buttons and still have it user friendly.
The loopdeck has been too much designed and layed out with lightroom in mind rather then a general layout but for that it is a beauty and well worth it, but i would not choose it for Resolve.
Ideally, but not absolutely required , a controller has bidirectional midi (so e.g. for the apc40, which has the most ideal midi implementation for this sort of stuff i found, i can set each button/knob status via midi . For the beatstep partly. )
And it has no features for user feedback at all.

So hardwarewise, even if it would get or has a dumb midi mode, it looks sweet but i see atm no future for it for Resolve but am happy to be proven wrong. The amount of effort you need to put into creating a full controller (rather then just random mapping a few features you need) has to be worth it so you better pick the best controller for the job and thats why i atm only cover 2 controllers (one large and one small portable.) with little reason to extend that.
Took me in total about 2-3 years the get to this level with zero financial benefits. Its pure love and passion project at such a small scale

In general it is of course a pitty we have no (free) access to the api, which would open up a next level of control without having to jump through hoops but i can live with it and understand it from BM's perspective and respect it. Their controllers are beautiful and if you have the money go for it. I target a different group which does not bite each other.
The few companies that do have access to the api reflect that in the price so for the by me targeted range this is unlikely to ever happen.

edit: took out a remark i made on the little faders in the center not beeing usefull as they looked just mini faders , but looking more closely these are little rotary knobs, so may or may not be usefull pending a proper midi implementation.
Beatstep & APC-40 Resolve Edition Controllers https://posttools.tachyon-consulting.com
Test Rig : 2xXeon (24c) | UNRAID KVM OSX VM's | 128GB | 5700XT | 40Gbe
Prod Rig : i9-7940X (14c) | OSX 10.15 | 64GB | 2xVega 56 | 40Gbe | Tb3 | V:Eizo | A:5.1RME

Ellory Yu

PostSun Sep 16, 2018 6:05 am

Peter Benson wrote:Ellory, I applaud your efforts, only you forgot to convey to us Loupedeck's website URL and their customer feedback Email Address you used to reach "Felix".

Peter, Here it is:
Email Contact: Felix Hartwigsen (felix.hartwigsen@loupedeck.com)

The loupedeck is not a MIDI controller therefore Loupedeck says they need access to the BMD API. If they can have it, they can start a project immediately to get a Da Vinci Resolve version of the Loupedeck. I think that will be very cool. Now, the ball is in BM's court and those who can lobby BMD to share their API.

Good Luck !!!

Glenn Venghaus

PostSun Sep 16, 2018 9:27 am

Would be interesting to know how much a company like Tangent is paying for continued api access. I think thats the reason why there are no low budget api based controllers. The absolute cheapest is the ripple that controls 6 parameters only and already more expensive then resolve itself.
Handly little beast though and am a user myself as well next to my own controllers that control the other 1000 or so parameters .
So little hope for an api based loupedeck or similar box in a low price range. The market is just too small . Only if the api goes public , which it wont as why would they, this might happen.

And come think of it, maybe BM itself will create a portable nano controller soon. They can definately do it affordable if they wanted to.
Beatstep & APC-40 Resolve Edition Controllers https://posttools.tachyon-consulting.com
Prod Rig : i9-7940X (14c) | OSX 10.15 | 64GB | 2xVega 56 | 40Gbe | Tb3 | V:Eizo | A:5.1RME

Peter Benson

PostMon Sep 17, 2018 3:42 am

Glenn Venghaus wrote:@Peter,

I had already adressed the Loupedeck in a few other post , but here we go.
As far as i know (and i looked at it in my search for a new portable target controller after my apc40 project and when i ultimately decided to go for the beatstep), the loopdeck is NOT just a midi controller...

Thanks for that detailed, helpful reply, and how happy we are, to have your programming passion and expertise applied to the Arturia Beatstep and most importantly, to the *original* Akai APC40 units, which fortunately, are still floating around and available for purchase used, on Ebay.

Peter Benson

PostMon Sep 17, 2018 3:46 am

Ellory Yu wrote:
Peter Benson wrote:Ellory, I applaud your efforts, only you forgot to convey to us Loupedeck's website URL and their customer feedback Email Address you used to reach "Felix".

Peter, Here it is:
Email Contact: Felix Hartwigsen (felix.hartwigsen@loupedeck.com)

The loupedeck is not a MIDI controller therefore Loupedeck says they need access to the BMD API. If they can have it, they can start a project immediately to get a Da Vinci Resolve version of the Loupedeck. I think that will be very cool. Now, the ball is in BM's court and those who can lobby BMD to share their API.

Good Luck !!!
Thanks for that, Ellory.

Ludovico Bettarello

PostWed Sep 19, 2018 8:51 am

today Loupedeck team announce support for Adobe PR for the Loupedeck+ so in the future maybe Resolve .....
i have one Loupedeck+ and the form factor and construction build are perfect and durable.

https://loupedeck.com/loupedeck-announces-first-ever-video-editing-capabilities/
____ vimeo.com/internonotte _____
nMP 8-core d700 64gb AMD FE 16gb R832TB Ultrastudio 4k PVMa250 Tangent Element BMD Editor Keyboard
nMP 6-core d700 64gb xMAC PRO SERVER 50TB raid SAS Ultrastudio 4k Mini double reader Red Alexa SBK 8U flightcase

Peter Benson

PostWed Sep 19, 2018 2:43 pm

Hello, Lodovico
In light of the detailed explanation provided by @Glenn Venhaus, what gives you greater hope that Loupedeck+ has a meaningful advantage over the original Loupedeck, for future, possible re-engineering for use with DaVinci Resolve?

Remember, Loupedeck's maker does not currently have access to the API (Application Programming Interface) for Resolve, and if they did, the resultant product might prove far more expensive -- and likely far less elegant to use, with far and away less functionality than the current solutions Glenn offers, in the form of the AKAI APC40 Resolve Edition, and even the lesser-capable Arturia Beatstep Resolve Edition.
[Re]Pete

Glenn Venghaus

PostWed Sep 19, 2018 7:39 pm

I would say lets not speculate more on what “may” come and lets see and applaud ANY resolve targeted controller the moment it happens.
Its hard to judge potential “future” products and i stand on the side of giving every development a chance. My comments where based on my own experiences in selecting and building controller solutions and not to shoot down future developement.

I made the mistake myself 2 years ago where a few users where asking me why i did not use the beatstep instead of or in addition to the apc40 solution as a more portable and available solution.
I shut it down at that time purely based on my knowledge and solutions for problems i had developed at that point and that i saw no possible and user friendly way to cram that much features in such a small form factor. A year later new insights completely changed that. Including on the way to effectively design a simple and logical user interface method with feedback.
If i can do that, also others can do that given enough time and skills.

The api access will however indeed, as we now all now ,remain a stumbling point for any affordable “native” solution for companies like the one building loopdeck and possible successors

But as long as there is a potential market, things might change.

artlasovsky

PostFri Jan 24, 2020 9:59 am

Hi everyone!
Loupedeck shared SDK with me and I made the Loupedeck plugin for Resolve.

I bind all default shortcuts which can be assigned for any LD+ button (some of them can be assigned to knobs too).

One issue: currently it's not working with the latest Loupedeck Setup Panel (3.0+), but I'm waiting for solution from Loupedeck team. I test in on Windows, but it should work on MacOS too.
I will develop it further and will be glad to receive any comments, ideas and feedback.

It is free and available on my website: https://artlasovsky.com/loupedeck-resolve
To install plugin just unzip the dll and place it in Loupedeck folder.
Loupedeck plugin for Resolve:
https://artlasovsky.com/loupedeck-resolve

X-Raym

PostTue Feb 11, 2020 1:37 pm

@artlasovsky
It looks very nice !

Do you have a video demo so we can see how it perform ?
My DaVinci Resolve Scripts: https://github.com/X-Raym/DaVinci-Resolve-Scripts
Donation: https://paypal.me/extremraym

Ellory Yu

PostThu Feb 13, 2020 2:48 am

artlasovsky wrote:Hi everyone!

I bind all default shortcuts which can be assigned for any LD+ button (some of them can be assigned to knobs too).

One issue: currently it's not working with the latest Loupedeck Setup Panel (3.0+), but I'm waiting for solution from Loupedeck team. I test in on Windows, but it should work on MacOS too.
I will develop it further and will be glad to receive any comments, ideas and feedback.

It is free and available on my website: https://artlasovsky.com/loupedeck-resolve

This is positive news. Thanks for all your effort artlasovsky. Does the knob work with the color wheels?

Ellory Yu

PostThu Feb 13, 2020 2:51 am

If BMD does not want to share their API, can then create a similar product like the Loupedeck+ that is for Resolve and sell it to us for $249. That's a better buy that the BMD Keyboard at a $1000 which I have no use for.

Mart_Williams

PostMon Feb 17, 2020 11:25 pm

Hi, I downloaded the plugin, but was unable to unzip it. I do have winzip on my machine. Windows didn't recognise any contents in the file, it normally does. I did delete it and re-download but had the same problem.

Anybody succesfully tried the plugin yet?

Ellory Yu

PostTue Feb 18, 2020 10:01 pm

So we know that there is almost no way we can get Loupedeck to work with Resolve because they will need the SDK from BMD and that's not going to happen.

Is there a Loupedeck like device from BMD that is about the same cost ($250USD) that is specifically for Resolve in the future? Can we at least wish for one?

Pedro Dias

PostSat Mar 07, 2020 10:05 am

"Getting an SDK from BMD is not going to happen"

Many of you guys are saying this. Where is BMD on this? Can we have a statement of sorts? I would pay (a minor fee) for Loupedeck+ support as the cheapo's way to getting some editing shortcuts.
Med vennlig hilsen / Regards,

_________
Pedro Dias
- DaVinci Resolve Studio -
“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.”
-Theodore Roosevelt

Username

PostSat Mar 07, 2020 11:01 am

This is great.
Thank you.

Do the plugin work with both loupedeck and + model?
I itch CT as well?

Grew up with a Nikon FM
Resolve & Fusion Studio 18.6
MBP M1 16GB/1TB
MM M1 16GB/512GB TB4 1TB & 2TB
MM i7 16GB/1TB & PowerColor Vega 56 8GB

Ellory Yu

PostSun Mar 08, 2020 6:10 am

Hi artlasovsky. Any progress on fully supporting Resolve with the Loupedeck (knobs, wheels, sliders, etc.)? Any plans of opening the source and have others help contribute? This is pretty cool what you are doing. Thanks!

artlasovsky

PostFri Mar 13, 2020 6:32 am

Hi everyone,
First of all, thanks for your replies, ideas and support!

Here is the latest updates on the plugin:
- I fixed issue with zip archive, so it must work.
- By responses that I already get - current version of plugin not working on macOS
- I still don't get the answers from Loupedeck how to make it compatible with LD Panel v. 3.0+

But here is good news!
I decide to continue developing of my own application (where I actually started, but switched to "official" plugin later). It will be open source (written with JavaScript and Python) and at the moment of first release (March 2020) it will support standard Resolve shortcuts which you can attach to any key or knob (even for p1-p8 wheels). I have an idea how to work with Color Wheels and other controls which doesn't have shortcut, but I still working on it.

Sorry, that I didn't answer here earlier, just forgot to check this page... I will visit this forum more often...

Have a nice day!

Ellory Yu

PostFri Mar 13, 2020 9:23 pm

artlasovsky wrote:Hi everyone,
First of all, thanks for your replies, ideas and support!

Here is the latest updates on the plugin:
- I fixed issue with zip archive, so it must work.
- By responses that I already get - current version of plugin not working on macOS
- I still don't get the answers from Loupedeck how to make it compatible with LD Panel v. 3.0+

But here is good news!
I decide to continue developing of my own application (where I actually started, but switched to "official" plugin later). It will be open source (written with JavaScript and Python) and at the moment of first release (March 2020) it will support standard Resolve shortcuts which you can attach to any key or knob (even for p1-p8 wheels). I have an idea how to work with Color Wheels and other controls which doesn't have shortcut, but I still working on it.

Sorry, that I didn't answer here earlier, just forgot to check this page... I will visit this forum more often...

Have a nice day!

Thanks for the update. This is really promising and if you can get those color wheels to work, that will be super! Keep us posted and let us know where we can go for the open source too.

Dermot Shane

PostSat Mar 14, 2020 1:24 am

it's been possible to implement some useful knob-to-UI controls for several years now

i've been useing a DJ TechTools "Twister" for a few years now under windows with Bome's midi->mouse to drive mouse movement in the interface from Twister's knobs

as an addition to my Artist Color/Transport and StreamDeck it fill in a few gaps, mainly control color page 2 (color boost/shadows/highlights/mid detail) with heads up on the hero monitor

this is a far cry from what Glenn has done, but as hell has not yet frozen over, his uber elegant solution is for Mac only, otherwise i'd have been his first customer

artlasovsky

PostThu Apr 23, 2020 3:10 pm

Hi everyone!

I was updated information on my website (https://artlasovsky.com/loupedeck-resolve) about the new app for Loupedeck+ & Resolve. It still absolutely free.
Currently I do not have an access to Mac, so I being able to build and test it only for Windows.
But I also published it on GitHub, so if someone can build the app from source for macOS it could be nice (it is written with TypeScript (React, Electron) and Python).

I already found some issues with current version (0.1.2) and will fix it in future release in May. I'm be glad to hear any feedback about it to my email or in direct message in Instagram. I will add in-app notifications and feedback system in the next version, so it will be easier to keep the latest version of this app.

Thanks again for your support! And have a nice day!

Gerhard Riesenhuber

PostMon Aug 03, 2020 1:27 pm

Dermot Shane wrote:it's been possible to implement some useful knob-to-UI controls for several years now

i've been useing a DJ TechTools "Twister" for a few years now under windows with Bome's midi->mouse to drive mouse movement in the interface from Twister's knobs

as an addition to my Artist Color/Transport and StreamDeck it fill in a few gaps, mainly control color page 2 (color boost/shadows/highlights/mid detail) with heads up on the hero monitor

this is a far cry from what Glenn has done, but as hell has not yet frozen over, his uber elegant solution is for Mac only, otherwise i'd have been his first customer

Hello Dermot,

I also try to implement this solution. I tried the "mouse drag" you can configure with Midi Fighter Utility, but it drags across in 45 degree and not horizontally and I didn't found a way to configure it. I also tried programming in Bome Midi Translator. It works best, wenn I press once for holding down the left mouse button and then rotating for left/right drag. It is released via timer, after nothing is happening for half a second. That's fine, but it makes the knob press unusable for different functions.
Did you find a smooth working way without the knob press first?

Thanks,
Gerhard

Ellory Yu

PostMon Aug 03, 2020 2:47 pm

I still think it is just wise for BMD either to release an SDK that other controller makers can adapt, or have a low cost panel of around $195 ~ $249 manufactured and sold to the non-production house Resolve users. When will that happen, well maybe when hell freezes over or Grant sees an opportunity from it scaling as BMD cameras are sold and more Resolve gets in users hands.

At this time, I've given up all hopes with the exception that I can do all the things to some efficiency using a keyboard, a trackball mouse, and the Contour Shuttle.

Gerhard Riesenhuber

PostMon Aug 03, 2020 3:03 pm

I have a dedicated color panel (Tangent Wave and BM Micro). The Midi Fighter Twister and the Elgato Streamdeck are for the function that are not covered via the surfaces. There is a low cost panel, it's the tangent ripple. And yes: it would be great if there would be an API available to other manufacturers.

arbibarbarona

PostFri Jul 01, 2022 8:32 pm

I think this might interest you guys.

Loupedeck as a COlor panel for Resolve.

Return to DaVinci Resolve