no desktop video device detected - BlackMagic Decklink Mini

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

nilesh7136

no desktop video device detected - BlackMagic Decklink Mini

PostSat Sep 15, 2018 2:19 pm

Hello Team,

I have Windows 10 Pro 64bit Activated OS, and its Up to date.
Driver Installed complete. In Device Manager Showing Driver for this device.
But when i open BlackMagic Desktop Video Setup Software its show "no desktop video device detected", i have attached error screenshot for clarification.

Attachment
* Screeenshot of Device Manager & BlackMagic Desktop Video Setup Software

Thank You
Nilesh Varchand
Attachments
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (169.1 KiB) Viewed 62921 times

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

Re: no desktop video device detected - BlackMagic Decklink M

PostTue Sep 18, 2018 10:04 pm

Try reseating the card or a completely different PCIe slot and check the Desktop Video setup again.
Support: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support
Info: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/company

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

nilesh7136

PostThu Sep 20, 2018 12:38 pm

Thank you for valuable reply.

I Have try both. Resetting card and changed PCIe slot, but still same issue.

Thank you

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Sep 20, 2018 5:06 pm

I know you say the OS is up to date but make sure it is and check to make sure you are the administrator for the account. You also don't mention what version of Desktop Video drivers you have installed but make sure you have the most current ones available.
Support: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support
Info: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/company

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

nilesh7136

PostSat Sep 22, 2018 6:11 am

Thank you for Response.

Yes I have check again and OS is up to date. And I am using 10.11.2 Version of Desktop Video Setup Software.

Attachment: OS Up to Date and Version of Desktop Video Setup Software

Thank you
Attachments
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (112.32 KiB) Viewed 62819 times

Eric-Jan

PostMon Sep 24, 2018 3:06 pm

Could it be that the Decklink is allready in use by other software, or other system items ?
check out the running tasks, in the task manager,
Intensity Shuttle, ATEM Mini, Video Assist 5"(mini USB), Hyperdeck ShuttleHD,Analog to SDI mini-converter, software: Davinci Resolve 15 on Sierra, Resolve 18 on Catalina. (Using Apple OS 32 & 64 bit on different MacBook Pro's

robinhepburn

PostThu Sep 27, 2018 6:55 pm

Can anyone shed any light on this as I have the same problem. I have a Decklink Quad and a Mini Recorder in my workstation at the moment and noticed a few problems.

Both work with driver version 10.9.12, show up in Device Manager, Video Device Setup and work with our test app which uses the Medialooks SDK.
After 10.9.12, the Blackmagic Decklink SDI entries for the Quad still show up under Sound, video and game controllers in Device Manager for the four channels but the four entries for Blackmagic Decklink WDM Streaming are gone. The Decklink Quad also doesn't show up in Video Device Setup and doesn't work with our test app.
After 10.9.12 the Mini Recorder shows up in Device Manager, doesn't show up in Video Device Setup but does work with our test App.
I'd like all my Decklink cards to work properly - 2x Decklink Quad, An Extreme 3D+, Decklink Duo and a Mini Recorder.

Which driver do I need to install for all to work correctly?

FYI I have the latest patched Windows 10 Pro and the latest BlackMagic drivers v10.11.2.0

Thanks

nilesh7136

PostFri Sep 28, 2018 1:31 pm

Eric-Jan wrote:Could it be that the Decklink is allready in use by other software, or other system items ?
check out the running tasks, in the task manager,

Sir, Thank you for response.

The device is not detected by BlackMagic Video Setup Software. Nothing showing in task manager.

Thanks

Eric-Jan

PostFri Sep 28, 2018 9:56 pm

The only other thing i can imagine is that you have a conflict with an other "image device",
disconnect/remove other hardware in/from your pc, and see if the Video Desktop Setup will then detect the device correctly. (restart pc)
Firmware of the motherboard is also up to date ? chip sets, etc.... ?
Maybe there are any weird BIOS settings ? like switched off funcitions ?
connect device to card after boot up ?
Intensity Shuttle, ATEM Mini, Video Assist 5"(mini USB), Hyperdeck ShuttleHD,Analog to SDI mini-converter, software: Davinci Resolve 15 on Sierra, Resolve 18 on Catalina. (Using Apple OS 32 & 64 bit on different MacBook Pro's

robinhepburn

PostSat Sep 29, 2018 9:41 am

Eric-Jan,
There is no evidence to support any of those ideas. Occam's Razor: it's a Blackmagic Design software and/or firmware issue but, given how common this appears to be, I was hoping someone has had advice from Blackmagic on how to fix it.

The Blackmagic support guys are always helpful when I contact them but I was hoping that this would have been answered already so I wouldn't need to. I'll contact them later to see if they can help.

Robin.

Melvin Chong

PostThu Oct 04, 2018 4:32 pm

I have posted this same problem several times regarding my Intensity Pro 4K but it seems no fix is in sight. An older version (I believe 10.8.6 or earlier) actually could actually detect the card but any newer driver from that point onwards was a no-go till today. So it is definitely not a conflict or seating problem but a driver or firmware issue.

To Blackmagic support : does the new driver actually improve the stability or performance of the older cards or only to the newer ones?

Matthew Potter

PostThu Dec 06, 2018 7:39 pm

Any updates on this? I'm having the same issue on 10.11.4 of Desktop Video Setup. I noted it in the 10.11.2 I had installed until 10mins ago as only inputs 2, 3, and 4 were showing in Wirecast, OBS and VMix but after updating to 10.11.4, I'm not not seeing any inputs at all. I've been using the Decklink Duo 2 in a thunderbolt 3 PCIe enclosure for some time now without issue... I'm going to attempt downgrading to 10.11 and will update if that works.

Matthew Potter

PostThu Dec 06, 2018 8:49 pm

As a followup, I tried every version back to 10.10 to no avail. Interestingly, the blackmagic media express sees 2, 3, 4 but not 1... and the video setup tool doesn't see anything.
Attachments
blackmagic_issues.jpg
blackmagic_issues.jpg (673.68 KiB) Viewed 61888 times

Matthew Potter

PostThu Dec 06, 2018 11:29 pm

So I put the card in a desktop PCIe slot and it popped up that the card needed to be updated. I left it to do it's thing with the idea that perhaps the thunderbolt PCIe enclosure simply didn't work with the device's update process. After confirming on the desktop that the card does function and that the desktop settings and applications work correctly (seeing all 4 slots) I put it back in the enclosure to the same issue: video setup doesn't see any device and media express + all the other video apps see inputs 2, 3, and 4.

Based on other similar posts, I've confirmed that the startup processes are not getting disabled. It would seem that the drivers or software is simply blocking the card from being properly recognized. This is a major product issue as I run events on a regular basis and this is a part of a mobile streaming rig.

Ian Morrish

PostFri Dec 07, 2018 9:52 pm

I have been having the same problem after upgrading to 10.11.4 on Windows 10 latest 1809 build. Although OBS could see the devices, Desktop video, Media Express and my API based software said there were no devices, even though they are listed in Device Manager.

This basically means that the card firmware doesn't match the version of Desktop Video. This is usually detected on boot and "Software Update Required" message is displayed for each card needing an update.

I just resolved it by following these steps:
1.Uninstall Desktop Video
2.Shutdown/Power Down (restarts didn't seem to work)
3.Power on/boot
4.Install latest Desktop Video
5.Hear lots of device ding/dong and Device Manager shows them but not desktop video.
6. Shutdown/Power Down
7.Power on/Boot
8.Repeat shutdown/PowerDown and Reboot until I get "Software Update Required" for each card. This took 3 goes, but then all my cards (Duo2, SDI 4k, and Mini Monitor) worked with Desktop Video and my other software that uses the API.
After software update completes, you get a "Shutdown Required". Don't restart, shutdown, the re-boot. I think some of the cards need this to complete the firmware update process.
Regards,
Ian Morrish
Video Integrated Scripting Environment
(Windows PowerShell with ATEM driver + more)
https://ianmorrish.wordpress.com

cchang3260

PostMon Dec 10, 2018 11:25 pm

I'm having a similar problem with a new DeckLink 4k Extreme 12G. I don't even see the device in the device manager. Any suggestions?

Eric-Jan

PostTue Dec 11, 2018 8:58 pm

cchang3260 wrote:I'm having a similar problem with a new DeckLink 4k Extreme 12G. I don't even see the device in the device manager. Any suggestions?

You tried also another slot for the card ?

Airton

PostFri Dec 21, 2018 11:53 pm

Hello, I'm from Brazil and I have a problem with Blackmagic duo 2, "no desktop video device detected" can someone tell me which driver is working normal with the card? Which driver are you using without giving this problem?

RicardoMusch

PostTue Aug 27, 2019 12:02 pm

Hi All,

I'm going to revive this topic.

We have a HP 820 Daillies machine which was previously running Windows 7 x64 with our Decklink 4K 12G.

We have cleanly installed this now to Windows 10 pro, 1809 x64, all chipset drivers have been installed and updated.

The Desktop Video Application is showing "No devices", premiere finds some Blackmagic Decklink but can't find the card itself (the dropdown says "None").

Hiero/NukeStudio works perfectly fine with the card though.

As I have quite a lot of background experience in Sysadmin and Hardware I am pretty sure we have installed and seated the card correctly (we have tried reseating and different PCI slots).
The fact that Nuke Works and finds the decklink makes me think that (since I assume Nuke accesses the card through the sdk) it may be accessing it slightly differently than Desktop Video Application and Premiere do.

Anyone can shed some light on these issues?
Ricardo Musch

VFX Pipeline TD & Lead Compositor
Lola Post Production
+44 (0) 79 32 92 74 90

ElliotFrahs

PostTue Sep 03, 2019 8:50 pm

I want to revive this as well.

Windows 10 Pro v1803
Desktop Video Setup v11.3

Decklink will not play audio. Under playback device in Windows, the option does show for Blackmagic Decklink Studio 4k Audio. However, no sound is sent to the speakers.

Desktop Video Setup shows no device connected.

Hardware is seated properly and everything downstream of the Decklink is fine. In fact this whole setup was working just last week. No idea what has changed.

ElliotFrahs

PostTue Sep 17, 2019 4:53 pm

A support representative found a solution that worked in my case, where Device Manager showed the card but Desktop Video says no device detected:

After uninstalling any other version and restarting, download and install Desktop Video version 10.8.1.

This worked for me running Blackmagic Decklink Studio 4k on Windows 10 v1903.

gy123321

PostWed Oct 30, 2019 2:00 pm

ElliotFrahs wrote:A support representative found a solution that worked in my case, where Device Manager showed the card but Desktop Video says no device detected:

After uninstalling any other version and restarting, download and install Desktop Video version 10.8.1.

This worked for me running Blackmagic Decklink Studio 4k on Windows 10 v1903.

Thanks for the info.
My Decklink 4K Extreme 12G cannot be detected after updating to Win10 1903. And I solved this problem by uninstalling the existing version and install 10.8.1. Hope this helps.

GinKenna

PostTue Jan 07, 2020 12:06 pm

I Don't know if this post is still relevant but i think i solved it.
I had the same issues. I have seen the Decklink in Device Manager but don't in Dektop Video.
I have searched the blackmagic folder and launched the "CheckVersionPCI.exe"
After that i could see the Decklink also in Desktop Video.
So i decided to add that .exe to Autostart. In the autostart menu i have ssen, that i deactivated all BMD Application, because they made no sense for me:

Blackmagic Software Updater
BMDStremingServer
DesktopVideoUpdater

After reactivating and restart the PC everything was fine again.
Decklink in Desktop Video

But i don't understand why BMD is labeling an essential service with "Software Updater"

I hope i could help anybody

UMI Shane

PostWed May 13, 2020 3:25 pm

GinKenna wrote:I Don't know if this post is still relevant but i think i solved it.
I had the same issues. I have seen the Decklink in Device Manager but don't in Dektop Video.
So i decided to add that .exe to Autostart. In the autostart menu i have ssen, that i deactivated all BMD Application, because they made no sense for me:

BMDStremingServer
DesktopVideoUpdater

But i don't understand why BMD is labeling an essential service with "Software Updater"

Thank you, I have run into this problem many times on different computers, different OS's and different cards. I could eventually fix it by removing the card from the device manager and rebooting, sometimes taking 3-4 times doing the same process before it would see the card and eventually the issue would just arise again. The only solution anyone seemed to have that actually worked as a long term fix was to use an old driver. While it did fix the issue, that's not really a good solution. this seems to have done it tho. Thanks again! I do wish it didn't take 2 years for a solution tho, BMD...

exile72

PostSat May 30, 2020 7:43 pm

I too ran into this issue again which is endlessly frustrating. This problem is almost never an issue of BIOS update, Windows update, PCIe slot position or reseating the card. I find this problem is almost always related to the Blackmagic software. In my case, I went into task manager and in startup I noticed that DesktopVideoUpdater was disabled. I enabled it which then triggered a Blackmagic software update. And after a restart my 4k mini monitor was once again seen.

mbrinkg8tr

PostSat Jul 11, 2020 4:34 pm

Enabling the DesktopVideoUpdater.exe under the task manager in Windows 10 resolved the issue for me as well (Decklink Duo 2).

I find it amazing that support engineers from black magic design could only offer solutions that nobody would ever go to a forum to learn. If someone has gone online in search of a solution, it is almost always because they tried the simple or obvious troubleshooting paths with no success. It is a waste of everyone's time to post this garbage, and disappointing that simply enabling DesktopVideoUpdater.exe wasn't offered as the top tier solution to this problem.

eranyahalomi

PostWed Aug 19, 2020 9:15 pm

Guys, same issue. I am trying to setup video desktop 11.5. I already tried everything that was written here including enabling the Updater,Updating win, however I cannot detect the SDI card. also when I re-install different version I don't see the firmware update even if I invoke the updater manually.
What could be wrong here?

Eric-Jan

PostThu Aug 20, 2020 10:29 am

It's not a conflict using 32bit or 64bit apps on OS mixed up between them ?

eranyahalomi

PostSun Aug 23, 2020 8:31 pm

How my post relates to 32/64 bits?

Eric-Jan

PostMon Aug 24, 2020 9:10 pm

eranyahalomi wrote:How my post relates to 32/64 bits?

You're not the OP.

Mariano Mayayo

PostTue Oct 27, 2020 3:15 pm

Hello! I have similar problem

I´m trying to install the new Desktop Video 11.6 with a decklink 8k Pro, but when installed it shows "NO DESKTOP VIDEO DEVICE DETECTED". I tried changing the device to other PCI slot, but have the same problem.
Everything is okay when installed Desktop video 11.5.1 with this device (8k pro).

Do you know any solution for this problem?

System W10 pro. i7 48gb ram
Nvidia GTX1070 GPU

Thanks in advance!

b0binator

PostSun Dec 13, 2020 3:02 am

I was having the same issue with my Decklink quad, the desktop video device was not being detected.

I went to > device manager and under "other devices" I saw my decklink there and I right clicked and chose updated driver and selected chose Search Automatically for driver.

That fixed my issue, goodluck!

EdinGacic

PostSun Jan 10, 2021 8:38 pm

I am having also issues where the Decklink 4K mini monitor card works fine for a while and then when I am not using it after a while it goes to "sleep"? I see the fan is not spinning anymore and I see No Desktop Video Device Detected. Running Linux PopOS and latest desktop video. The card is close to RTX 3090 - is it possible the card gets hot? and it protects itself and goes to sleep? Is there a way to monitor the temperature of the card?

Any tips sometimes even restarting does not work i have to take the card out and put it back in to start again. Maybe its bad card?

Cheers,
Edin

mixermixer

PostFri Feb 05, 2021 1:25 am

Very annoying process to get my Decklink mini recorder 4k to work; on first boot the card doesn't show up in either desktop video or device manager, but after a reboot, the card shows up in both places and works fine, shows up in OBS and everything.

Latest driver and software installed v12. This is installed on a brand new Precision 3640 that also has a GTX 1650 Super. Application is livestreaming via SDI. I have tried previous versions and it gave me the same results above on first boot.

peregon_roman

PostThu Mar 11, 2021 3:21 pm

I've tried everything mentioned above for my Decklink 8K Pro on my HP Z8Gen4 with Win 10(version2004). Nothing helped.

I'm lucky to have my IT support to come with a simple solution:
- open device manager
- remove devices(in my case they all were there. Just not for BMD products)
- install desktop version higher then 1.4. Since 1.5.1 it includes firmware update.

And it works now.

ryanfreng

PostFri Jul 15, 2022 6:16 pm

This just happened to me today. Turned on OBS and nothing was working. The cameras froze. A reboot would fix for like 15 seconds then they'd freeze and windows would disable them (in system info there was a 'problem devices' and it would list the decklink duo 2 inputs). Here's what I did, not sure what step did it, i think it was the last item referenced before 'Enabled DesktopVideoUpdate in startup' not sure why it was disabled.

1. Uninstalled Desktop Video
2. Reboot
3. Install latest Desktop Video
4. Reboot (still not working after this reboot)
5. Enabled 'DesktopVideoUpdate.exe' in startup
6. Reboot
7. Works

UPDATE this stopped working after like a minute :o Going to try reseating it.

ryanfreng

PostFri Jul 15, 2022 6:34 pm

Got it back up. I think since I have a sit-stand desk, the cables were wrenching the card in a funky way, causing the card to fault :o . I'll open it up and see if i can get it tighter in there. Will report back.

TwoOceans

PostWed Feb 14, 2024 5:41 pm

GinKenna wrote:I Don't know if this post is still relevant but i think i solved it.

BMDStremingServer
DesktopVideoUpdater

I'm so thankful for this message, I had the same problem with Ultrastudio Monitor 3G and this solution worked for me!

I'm on Windows 10. Neither Desktop Video nor DaVinci Resolve could see the Ultrastudio Monitor, even if all the cables were fine and the Thunderbolt connection was working well, with the device properly identified.

I went to Task Manager and enabled BMDStremingServer and DesktopVideoUpdater on startup. Then I unpluggued and plugged again the Ultrastudio Monitor, was prompted for an update, and after the update, I unlugged and plugged the Ultrastudio again. Finally it worked fine!

Return to Getting Started