DAVINCI 16 | Big feature request list.

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

philtimm

Re: DAVINCI 16 | Big feature request list.

PostTue Oct 09, 2018 1:16 pm

Margus Voll wrote:o Have marker names as file names on export option
o Have Marker names (description) on burn in as option
o custom expression for burn in field from clip metadata (resolution, fps, colorspace)

Editing now series of commercials an all that would make my workflow so much faster and easier.

Not even that complicated, I'd dearly love the option to have the timeline name selectable as a Data Burn-In option, rather than have to edit a Custom Text field for every single version of every single timeline I export.
HP Z8 G4 Workstation (dual Xeon Silver 4116)
160GB 2400MHz RAM
Nvidia RTX A5000 24GB GPU
512GB NVMe sys drive
4TB NVMe RAID0 scratch drive
24TB G-Drive Shuttle XL RAID5 storage (Thunderbolt2)

Win 10 Pro for Workstations
Resolve Studio 18.6.4 Build 6

enottingham

PostTue Oct 09, 2018 3:54 pm

I'm sure that many Resolve users like myself frequently need to straighten horizons or rotate images. Having grid lines available as a reference makes the job easier. Yes, Resolve's Color page does have a grid available in OpenFX but it would be much easier to have the grid option available in the Sizing panel where the rotation is being made. I would suggest possibly a check box in that panel to toggle a grid overlay in the Source panel- maybe even assign the "G" key to toggle the grid when in the Sizing panel.
Last edited by enottingham on Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

enottingham

PostTue Oct 09, 2018 4:53 pm

Additional request-
I don't know if anyone else encounters this issue but I'll throw it out.

The current default background of the Viewer is black. Preferences does currently give you the option of selecting a gray background in UI Settings. However, that tonality of gray is still pretty dark. The problem frequently arises (for me at least) when I am resizing or rotating images. The black canvas behind the image in the viewer is very close in tonality to the gray background surrounding it, often leading to unwanted black letterboxes around a cropped, rotated or zoomed out image. It's especially a problem if you are using the default black background. A solution would be to give an extra option in Preferences of a lighter tone of gray -- or any other way of separating the black image canvas from the background.

Gary Hango

PostTue Oct 09, 2018 7:00 pm

enottingham wrote:Additional request-
I don't know if anyone else encounters this issue but I'll throw it out.

The current default background of the Viewer is black. Preferences does currently give you the option of selecting a gray background in UI Settings. However, that tonality of gray is still pretty dark. The problem frequently arises (for me at least) when I am resizing or rotating images. The black canvas behind the image in the viewer is very close in tonality to the gray background surrounding it, often leading to unwanted black letterboxes around a cropped, rotated or zoomed out image. It's especially a problem if you are using the default black background. A solution would be to give an extra option in Preferences of a lighter tone of gray -- or any other way of separating the black image canvas from the background.

Or a shortcut key to toggle a user defined alternate Viewer background color.
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro x64
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700, 3.40GHz, 32.0 GB
MB: MSI, BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. A.60, 12/17/2015
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960, 2Gb
Resolve 18.1.1.0007(Free)

JPOwens

PostTue Oct 09, 2018 8:03 pm

hard to weed through 9 pages of suggestions...

Is there an approach for copying individual keyframe corrections to populate repeating situations? Within a clip, I have been asked to create a "red alert" with a correction. There can be anywhere between 3 and 16 lighting effects in a clip within a 2 minute sketch. For consistency and time-saving, I'd love to be able to create a sequence of keyframes and then be able to copy an adjustment into the keyframe on the node that creates the adjustment. If you have a repeating correction within a clip, it would be an advantage to be able to carry a correction grade between non-adjacent keyframes. I've been writing down numbers and entering them directly.

In the old daVinci, you could create a basemem to copy dynamic corrections, but this is not the same as a node-based keyframe.

jPo, CSI

John Epton

PostWed Oct 10, 2018 7:24 am

Render File Management Tool

I think a tool is required to manage Render Files. They can rapidly grow and there appears to be no way of investigating when or which project/area they originated from and of deleting unwanted or detached files.
Resolve Studio 18 Fusion Studio 18 Desktop Video 12.1
Apple Mac M1 Studio
64 GB Memory
10 Cores
32c GPU
Disc 1 TB
BMD Speed Editor

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostWed Oct 10, 2018 12:32 pm

John Epton wrote:Render File Management Tool

I think a tool is required to manage Render Files. They can rapidly grow and there appears to be no way of investigating when or which project/area they originated from and of deleting unwanted or detached files.

Add export list in human readable, import list....
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Seth Goldin

DAVINCI 16 | Big feature request list.

PostWed Oct 10, 2018 10:25 pm

Currently, Ctrl + [ or Ctrl + ] adds a keyframe for every single node.

It'd be great to have either a keyboard shortcut to add a keyframe for only the selected node, or better yet, include some user setting to toggle the behavior, such as:

Add keyframe shortcut:
  • Creates keyframe on every node
  • Creates keyframe only on selected node
Last edited by Seth Goldin on Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
https://www.sethgoldin.com

waltervolpatto

PostWed Oct 10, 2018 11:55 pm

Delivery page, estimation of completion time, i like fusion that gives not only the estimate but also the date/ time of completion.
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled

waltervolpatto

PostFri Oct 12, 2018 7:08 pm

cross dissolve easy [out & in] options, missing.

the majority of time the editors in feature and trailer world works with dailies, that is,most of the color transforms are baked in and normalized to the color of the monitor (usually BT1886).

a plain cross dissolve is added to the piece and the online instructions are coming our way for onlining.

we work with logarithmic material, with a lut/transformation/look in the timeline (for netflix it is actually a requirement...), and the dissolve is applied in LOG space. Then the material pass through a "s" curve of some sort for the final tonal mapping and sure enough the dissolve feel and speed does nto match visually with the offline.

none of the existing options really works: often (too may times for my liking) the editor force us to do a stupid amount of keyframes just to get closer to the intended speed.

so, we have a [ease in & out] that build a "s" curve type of transition, we need the opposite [ease out & in] to build the "inverted S" curve to counteract the lut/look at the end.

I will make so many editor happy in this way.... (and my overall grumpiness will improve as well!)

Mel Matsuoka

PostFri Oct 12, 2018 8:17 pm

I'd love to see Resolve have a "CDL Grading Mode", which disables every feature that cannot be supported in an ASC CDL. Ideally it would set everything up with one-click (such as remembering to set the Lum Mix value to 0, then remembering to set it back to the default 100 after you're done) so that you can easily do a CDL-compliant color pass and export the CDL without any special jiggery-pokery

REDCINE-X has this feature, and it's really useful for sending one-light/best-light passes to VFX artists, for example.
Resolve Studio 18.0.2 / Decklink Mini Monitor / 14" 2021 Macbook Pro Max (macOS 12.5.1, M1 Max) / 32GB RAM

AlanLouisGordon

PostFri Oct 12, 2018 9:40 pm

waltervolpatto wrote:cross dissolve easy [out & in] options, missing.

the majority of time the editors in feature and trailer world works with dailies, that is,most of the color transforms are baked in and normalized to the color of the monitor (usually BT1886).

a plain cross dissolve is added to the piece and the online instructions are coming our way for onlining.

we work with logarithmic material, with a lut/transformation/look in the timeline (for netflix it is actually a requirement...), and the dissolve is applied in LOG space. Then the material pass through a "s" curve of some sort for the final tonal mapping and sure enough the dissolve feel and speed does nto match visually with the offline.

none of the existing options really works: often (too may times for my liking) the editor force us to do a stupid amount of keyframes just to get closer to the intended speed.

so, we have a [ease in & out] that build a "s" curve type of transition, we need the opposite [ease out & in] to build the "inverted S" curve to counteract the lut/look at the end.

I will make so many editor happy in this way.... (and my overall grumpiness will improve as well!)
Yes! Timeline colorspace aware cross dissolves would be fantastic. And being able to set this universally would be great. Having to click and change every cross dissolve that comes in would still be a bit of a pain though less than key frames.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Nathan Morgan

PostSun Oct 14, 2018 7:13 am

It would be great if when you bring in an AAF you could link to media that was in a Power Bin.
PC: Resolve 18.0.1, WINDOWS 10, GTX 3090
Desktop Video 12.0
(All bug reports etc. are PC unless specified.)
Mac: Mac Studio M1 Ultra, Resolve 18.0.1, 12.4

Nathan Morgan

PostSun Oct 14, 2018 7:18 am

It would be a big time saver if when you are creating multicam clips it remembered your last used settings and defaulted to that.

Also would be great if we could delete all audio tracks in clip attributes.
Desktop Video 12.0

Jim Simon

PostSun Oct 14, 2018 3:54 pm

waltervolpatto wrote:Delivery page, estimation of completion time

We have that now.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Jim Simon

PostSun Oct 14, 2018 3:56 pm

Nathan Morgan wrote:It would be a big time saver if when you are creating multicam clips it remembered your last used settings and defaulted to that.

I would find that useful. Many of my projects will use several multicam sections, and having to change the settings every single time really get's annoying.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

waltervolpatto

PostMon Oct 15, 2018 1:05 am

Jim Simon wrote:
waltervolpatto wrote:Delivery page, estimation of completion time

We have that now.

Mmm... I'm still in 14 at work, yes we have estimating of completion, i wad more interested in the actual time of the day where it will be completed.

I will check again inn the machine at home.

waltervolpatto

PostMon Oct 15, 2018 2:01 am

case for controlling color transformation in export

"merging from separate thread"

lets give few cases of workflow that happen normally:

feature without RCM/Aces.
material came in, either raw, exr, dpx, and they are uniformed in the machine with input transformations/DCTL/VFXIO or whatever the client require.
there is a hero camera, let's say Alexa.
the timeline color space is setup for alexa so all the OFX transforms can be implicit
in 15 I can change the color space of a single node (let's say to Lab) coherently with the timeline color space and all is good.
client has it's own transformation at the end, it could be a LUT, curves, OFX color transform, and is targeting a P3D65 rpojection with a gamma of 2.6.

now, i have to do a DCP out of resolve and resolve WILL use the timeline information to automagically transform the [alexa color space setup in the timeline] to XYZ, creating a wrong output.

Universal want J2K as master archival deliverable and they have to be the the color space of the final product: again Resolve will try to convert from timeline color space to XYZ

usually, I have to do three exports form the finishing timeline: the color space of the projector (like P3DCI), a bt1886 Quicktime and a XYZ for DCP creation. at the moment I have to create three different timelines with three different OFX at the end to transform the varuois exports.

so.

I would like to gave the color space transform node in [delivery] page, with the understanding that if it is not active, simply it works as now (auto).
When Active, it does get the final output of the timeline and do whatever we need.
in the OFX color transform tool, add a [RAW] mode that simply get the value untouched (that is, no transformation need to be apply, like a bypass).

- thanks

Nathan Morgan

PostMon Oct 15, 2018 9:43 pm

So this idea is really only half cooked but I have been really loving the Power Bins feature (though this thinking also applies a little bit to Power Grades).

My problem is that I am often working in two separate locations and shuttling files and drps back and forth. Since power bins are saved to the database not the project it would be awesome if there was a way to sync or save the Power Bin data between two databases. So that I could travel with my project and still have access to the Power Bins.

Lastly when working with Power Bins the clips are always added to the Master Folder when you add them to a timeline from the Power Bins. This makes for a messy project. It would be nice if there was a way to designate where the files landed. Or even better if there was a matching folder structure (in your "regular bins") for the files to be automatically be dropped into the corresponding folder.
Desktop Video 12.0

Nathan Morgan

PostTue Oct 16, 2018 5:20 pm

When doing an insert or overwrite edit in the edit page. If there is no "In" point set it would be awesome if the program defaulted to using the playhead as the in-point.

For some reason, I thought that it used to do this, but I might be thinking of other NLEs.
Desktop Video 12.0

waltervolpatto

PostWed Oct 17, 2018 4:54 am

cosmetic: if i load a 23.98 audio file in a 24.00 project, the software either should recognize it, or let me set it up manually in the clip attribute (to be able to speed it correctly in the edit page.)

PieroLass

PostWed Oct 17, 2018 12:32 pm

My only wish for the developping of Davinci as a film editor is an AAF for pro tools that brings original audio file of the syncronised clip, with metadata and hopefully levels and cross fades from the sequence.
Right now the aaf for protools(or for Avid) create new mxf files, with no metadata, no original files name(it takes the names from the video files), no levels and fades from the sequence. And it's not easy to open this aaf in protools (some says in the latest "ultimate version" works better, but in the prevoius version I know for sure it's a nightmare). I hope in the near future most of the sound editor will work on Fairlight, but right now most of the audio post production has pro tools as daw, and I'm alway afraid when i finish an editing and I have to figure out wich round trip works to bring audio outside davinci. It's really tressing and I have always complaint about how I bring they audio to them. I beg on my knees, please work on that.

Nikolay Smirnov

PostThu Oct 18, 2018 2:46 pm

+ 3D power window positioning
DoP/Colorist
FADE Post-production

Jim Simon

PostThu Oct 18, 2018 3:14 pm

Nathan Morgan wrote:When doing an insert or overwrite edit in the edit page. If there is no "In" point set it would be awesome if the program defaulted to using the playhead as the in-point.

It does that now. Always has.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Jim Simon

PostThu Oct 18, 2018 3:16 pm

waltervolpatto wrote:i wad more interested in the actual time of the day where it will be completed.

You want it to do the math for you? That seems a bit much.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

waltervolpatto

PostThu Oct 18, 2018 3:19 pm

Jim Simon wrote:
waltervolpatto wrote:i wad more interested in the actual time of the day where it will be completed.

You want it to do the math for you? That seems a bit much.

err.... fusion does it..., why not? it does not take days to program that... , might be hours...

I'll tell you what: I will trade that for alphabetical order on any list.

Marcus Kulik

PostTue Oct 23, 2018 12:09 pm

+1 for timeline NOT project dependent frame rate.

Marc Gasser

PostTue Oct 23, 2018 9:13 pm

Just a stable working Linux version would be great.
Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, AMD Threadripper 2990WX 32-Core, Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080Ti 11GB, 64 GB Ram.
https://www.pocketvj.com
https://www.magdesign.ch

waltervolpatto

PostTue Oct 23, 2018 9:21 pm

Marc Gasser wrote:Just a stable working Linux version would be great.

err... we have 14 linux boxes... they pretty much never crash....

waltervolpatto

PostTue Oct 23, 2018 10:04 pm

add a feature to the project manager that can see if there are disconnected resolve databases and re-connect them if needed.

Gabriele Gelfo

PostWed Oct 24, 2018 10:30 am

I don't know if it was already requested:

Full VR 360-180 stitching, mono-stereo editing, color correction, stabilization (Mistika VR), motion graphics, 3d audio, support for Oculus Rift and HTC Vive

regards
iMac Retina 5K 27 Late 2014 - i7 4GHz - 32GB - R9 M295X 4GB
Mac Book Pro 15 Late 2018 - i9 2.9GHZ - 32GB - Vega 20 4GB
Mac Pro 7.1 - Xeon 12c - 96GB - Radeon Pro 580X - n°2 RTX2080Ti (bootcamp) - n°1 egpu GTX1080Ti
Da Vinci Resolve Studio

Luca Di Gioacchino

PostWed Oct 24, 2018 12:13 pm

I would like to see implemented the ability to quickly and easily copy/paste a master template in the Project Manager by right-clicking on its icon and choosing "duplicate" or simply ctrl-c/ctrl-v-ing. Presently the only way to do that is by opening a project, choosing Save As, and Renaming it.

Boris Kovalev

PostThu Oct 25, 2018 4:04 am

I'd like to be able to use some shortcut to preview the original image/clip, since i'm using "optmized media" feature on 1/4th or raw size, and color grading original footage would be so much nicer.
Stills can also be more useful capturing all the details.

Nathan Morgan

PostThu Oct 25, 2018 6:39 am

ColorTrace:

1) The ability to scroll the thumbnail timeline quickly. This could be a keystroke but ideally this would be the middle mouse wheel.

2) The ability to exclude either clip types or track layers. When you are doing your full online in DaVinci it is time consuming to wade through hundreds of titles / subtitles mixed with your graded footage.
Desktop Video 12.0

waltervolpatto

PostThu Oct 25, 2018 1:21 pm

If you put the mouse pointer in the gray area where the scroll handle is, you can use the middle wheel scroll.

It is a bit tricky.

Nathan Morgan

PostThu Oct 25, 2018 5:04 pm

waltervolpatto wrote:If you put the mouse pointer in the gray area where the scroll handle is, you can use the middle wheel scroll.

It is a bit tricky.

THANK YOU!!

I never would have found this on my own. . . . Very particular UI implementation there.
Desktop Video 12.0

waltervolpatto

PostThu Oct 25, 2018 5:11 pm

Nathan Morgan wrote:
waltervolpatto wrote:If you put the mouse pointer in the gray area where the scroll handle is, you can use the middle wheel scroll.

It is a bit tricky.

THANK YOU!!

I never would have found this on my own. . . . Very particular UI implementation there.

i know, I had the same issue myself...

for the other issue, I duplicate the timeline, delete the track i don't need, color trace and edit the track back in the main timeline. I know it is not ideal...

Nathan Morgan

PostFri Oct 26, 2018 5:34 pm

Per node cacheing of Pre-Group (& Post Group I guess) nodes.

I often like to put my noise reduction Pre-Group (along with a couple of balance nodes and would like to take advantage of a node based cache rather then having to cache the whole Pre-Group tree.
Desktop Video 12.0

studio1492

PostFri Oct 26, 2018 7:09 pm

A keyboard shortcut editor showing a dynamic graphic keyboard layout map on the screen (like FCPX and Premiere) would be amazing, both as a way to learn quickly the preset layouts or to configure our custom mappings strategically.Image
- MBP 14" M1 Pro 16GB, 1TB, 10 core CPU, 16 core GPU.
- Resolve Studio 18.6.4 @ macOS 13.6.2
- Mini Panel v2.0
- Speed Editor (gathering dust until killer custom keys arrive)
- Synology DS218

Nathan Morgan

PostSun Oct 28, 2018 6:29 pm

Any edit sizing information brought in from an AAF automatically enables keyframing even if there is no animation.

It would be great if:

a) Resolve could tell that there is no interpolation in the clip and not enable keyframing.

or

b) have a way to disable keyframing while maintaining the current position and deleting all keyframe. This could be an alt click on the reset button. (It would function similarly to how after effects works when you turn off the stopwatch.)

and/or

c) Edit sizing would show up in the keyframe editor on the color page (though this would be secondary to the above as most online/conform should happen in the edit page.
Desktop Video 12.0

brianbrook

PostMon Oct 29, 2018 7:21 am

Behringer X-Touch is listed in Configuration guide and the playback controls work BUT only in Fairlight! This would seem to be easy to add to the other pages: media, edit, fusion, color and deliver and would really make a difference to X-Touch users, having playback only work in Fairlight is frustrating! I just want play, stop, rewind and fast forward in all the modules and NOT just in Fairlight!

Marc Gasser

PostMon Oct 29, 2018 10:19 am

@waltervolpatto: did you ever open the fusion tab ?
Did you ever figured out that the GPU Ram gets filled and then you have to reboot the system ?
Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, AMD Threadripper 2990WX 32-Core, Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080Ti 11GB, 64 GB Ram.
https://www.pocketvj.com
https://www.magdesign.ch

waltervolpatto

PostMon Oct 29, 2018 1:40 pm

Marc Gasser wrote:@waltervolpatto: did you ever open the fusion tab ?
Did you ever figured out that the GPU Ram gets filled and then you have to reboot the system ?

In the win 10 Austen at home i played with fusion a bit, but i never filled the ram at the point i need restart.

Jim Simon

PostMon Oct 29, 2018 2:01 pm

I'd love to have Presets for places where variables are used, like the Clip Name under Clip Attributes, and Custom Name on the Deliver tab. This would save a bit of time during organization, rather than typing everything over and over for every bin and group of clips.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Nathan Morgan

PostWed Oct 31, 2018 12:13 am

Not sure if this is a bug or a feature request, but when you save a transition preset with a 3rd Party OFX plugin, it saves the Transition data but not the OFX data. In order for the preset to be effective it should save both sets of data.
Desktop Video 12.0

Nathan Morgan

PostFri Nov 02, 2018 12:59 am

When working with groups in the color page it would be great if there was an indicator of when the group is just one clip. Maybe the linking icon could be a slightly different color?

For our workflow we tend to put every clip in the sequence into a group, this allows us to stay Pre-group or post group when switching between clips. If I know that I am in a Group that is just one clip it is helpful as that saves me from having to jump out to the clip to do an adjustment. I know this is not 100% the ideal situation or use, but it allows for us to work faster when we are turning around shows on a tight deadline.
Desktop Video 12.0

Andy Mees

Notes from my recent project...

PostMon Nov 05, 2018 2:03 pm

Some notes (ie requests and a couple of possible bugs) from a recent Resolve edit (in no particular order other than the order they cropped up and got noted):

[WISH] A consolidated Media Pool view whereby selecting a folder in the ‘Bin List’ (when visible at left) will show (at right) all clips contained in that bin and any sub bins at any level. Note: In this view we would see ‘Clips Only’ at right.

[WISH] Default ‘Filter by’ selection in the Media Pool panel should be ‘All Fields’ (‘File Name’).

[WISH] Fewer restrictions on the (display) names for Bins. Currently only a limited alphanumeric character set is allowed for bin naming. Among others, no colon (“:”) characters are allowed, which prevents me from including timecode values in bin names.

[WISH] Ability to duplicate existing Smart Bins. Where otherwise complex search criteria needs to be varied only slightly between Smart Bins, being able to simply duplicate and then edit an existing Smart Bin would make the process much less troublesome.

[WISH] Ability to organise the Smart Bin list: allow users to collect Smart Bins according to their own hierarchy/structure eg Character, Location, Date etc. At present Smart Bins are listed as a single level alphabetical list only.

[WISH] Smart Bin default rule should be MediaPool Properties ‘All Fields’ (not ‘File Name’).

[WISH] Ability to Mute/Solo clip audio channels in [MEDIA PAGE]. Currently all Audio Channels are summed to Mono and can only be disabled/enabled/switched via the modal Clip Attributes window > Audio tab. This makes the process slow and unwieldy, interrupting flow.

[WISH] View all (or partial) Clip Attributes under tab within the ‘Inspector’ panel. At present Clip Attributes are available only with a modal window. Making basic Clip Attributes available within the Inspector panel would allow for a faster more flexible workflow.

[WISH] Add a user mappable keyboard shortcut for quickly opening the Clip Attributes window of a selected clip … currently it seems to be accessible via context menu only, doesn’t appear to be keyboard mappable.

[WISH][MEDIA PAGE] Add the ‘Append to Edit’ function (from the Edit Page). This would only be available if a Timeline is currently active in the Edit Page and would allow for quickly building selects reels whilst logging within the Media Page.

[WISH] A keyboard modifier function for toggling trim behaviour (depending on the current mode). At present it is impossible to perform a ‘ripple edit’ whilst in Selection Mode, just as it is impossible to perform a ‘resize edit’ whilst in Trim Mode. Overall the keyboard driven edit functionality in Resolve is top notch ... but sometimes a click and drag is what is most appropriate. The need to switch modes in order to perform a quick ripple edit when in Selection Mode (or the opposite) could be easily obviated by allowing a modifier key to override/toggle the currently selected mode behaviour.

[WISH] Basic search functionality in the Timeline eg Find, Find All etc. For example, if I want to find all instances of clips named “ABC” in my current timeline and simply label them in a specific colour (so I can quickly identify them within a full timeline context)… it’s easy to find them via the Edit Index but Clip Attributes / Inspector properties etc are not available via the Edit Index.

[WISH] Ability to select clips in the Timeline via selection in the Edit Index. Currently selection in Edit Index just moves the playhead to the edit point… it would be great if there was an option such that selecting single or multiple edits in the Edit List mirrored that as clip ‘selection’ in the Timeline.

[BUG][EDIT PAGE] Whilst an Audio Only clip is loaded in the Viewer panel, targeting a Video Track in the Timeline panel is disabled for the ‘Edit Selection’ based function “All Clips Forward on Selected Track”. Edit functions in the Timeline panel should not be restricted according to the contents of the Source panel when that function is not related to the Source panel.

[WISH] In the Viewer panel, when displaying Audio, allow the user to mark an in/out range by ‘click and dragging’ directly in the ‘zoomed’ waveform display area in the Viewer window.

[WISH] In the Viewer panel, when displaying Audio, allow to move/scroll the ‘zoomed’ waveform display area by dragging within that area (like using a ‘hand’ tool)

[WISH] In the Timeline panel, when using Stacked Timelines, allow users to ‘collapse’ and ‘expand’ individual timelines to/from the ‘title’ bar, preferably by a simple double click in the title bar area.

[WISH] Add a user mappable keyboard shortcut for enabling/disabling Stacked Timelines, currently it seems to be a multiple mouse click function only (click to reveal option, click to select option).

[WISH] Add a user mappable keyboard shortcut for copying and pasting timecode values, currently it seems to be a ‘right mouse button click, context menu selection’ function only.

[WISH] Show ‘Marker Names’ within the Edit Index ‘Name’ field … at present it is listed in the Notes field.

[WISH] Duplicate clip usage range indicators in timeline

[WISH] Extended clip usage data in bins. Currently we can see that a clip has been used ‘x’ number of times (list view) but there is no indication of where those clip usage instances occur, nor any means to quickly navigate to those instances. Making this info available/navigable, perhaps as a dropdown menu or via a tab in the Clip Attributes window would be a very useful addition.

[WISH] A preference option to predetermine how selections are handled following edit actions. Currently cutting a selected clip with the Blade Tool produces two clips, both selected. A preference option to allow the user to choose their preferred selection action (left, right, both) would be great.

[WISH] A ‘Deflicker’ option for dealing with ‘field flicker/twitter’ issues. When working in interlaced monitoring environments with media for interlaced delivery, fine edge details can sometimes produce an unpleasant strobing flicker and/or moire effect. The current ResolveFX Revival “Deflicker” tool is unable to detect and address these issues. It would be great to have a tool that targets and helps reduce that particular problem. (Similar to Adobe Premiere > Field Options > Flicker Removal).

[WISH] Ability to switch Monitoring Bus (audio monitoring output) from the Edit Page rather than having to switch to Fairlight Page. Currently, toggling between mixes whilst editing means I have to change to the Fairlight Page to switch, then back to the Edit Page, then back to the Fairlight Page to switch again etc etc. [NOTE: Better yet, allow users to define their own direct monitoring outputs as necessary eg dual stereo buses. Currently it’s 1x Mono, 1x Stereo or 1x Surround and nothing in between].

[BUG] On launch, the Monitoring Bus switch in the Fairlight Page (shown to left of Volume/Dim controls when the Meters panel is hidden) is missing until the Meters panel has been displayed. Toggle the Meters panel On and Off and the control becomes visible.

[WISH] A user preference/option that prevents ‘Duplicated’ timelines from auto-opening in the Timeline panel. Currently, whenever I create a backup of my current timeline, by using the ‘Duplicate Timeline’ function, that duplicate is automatically opened and activated in the Timeline window. I have to remember that happened and close it before continuing to work (otherwise I’m now working in the duplicate rather than the original).

[WISH][DELIVER PAGE] Ability to define and apply Data Burn In options in the Deliver Page independently of the Project settings. Currently it’s limited to Project or None.

[WISH] Ability to Enable / DIsable source tracks for output directly in the Deliver Page. Currently I have to switch back to the Edit Page to, for example, disable text tracks, before switching back to Deliver Page to output a clean / textless master.

----------------

[I made an associated post here https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=81554]

Last edited by Andy Mees on Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Let's have a return to the glory days, when press releases for new versions included text like "...with over 300 new features and improvements that professional editors and colorists have asked for."

studio1492

Dragging a marker duration and preview it in monitor

PostMon Nov 05, 2018 5:21 pm

My request is:

While Dragging a marker through a clip or to the timeline to alter the marker duration (holding ALT key on Mac), the preview monitor may follow the dragged marker so we can choose the marker end on the fly while adjusting its duration. This may be made by default, as the preview monitor gets back to the previous monitor image as soon as we click out the mouse after dragging the duration of the marker.
- Mini Panel v2.0
- Synology DS218

studio1492

Ruler's frame on Viewer

PostMon Nov 05, 2018 9:15 pm

(REQUEST) Ruler's frame on the Viewer as an option. (like on Photoshop). A Keyboard shorcut to toogle it on and off will be appreciated as well.
This is helpful while keyframing positions, zooms, etc, specially with layered tracks on motion.

The viewer ruler units may be switchable between percent (%) or pixels.

- Mini Panel v2.0
- Synology DS218

Bryan Worsley

PostMon Nov 05, 2018 11:08 pm

My request is that BMD consider getting together with Pegasys (TMPGenc) to develop an x264/x265 based AVC/HEVC (and MPEG-2) export plugin-in, similar that developed for Premiere Pro and Edius Pro. I brought this up in another thread today and wish to add it to the 'magna carta' before it is swept away into obscurity. The mentioned post is self explanatory:

https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=81423#p451828
PreviousNext

Return to DaVinci Resolve