Metabones and Viltrox Adapters Loose Against 4K Pocket

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

David Chapman

Metabones and Viltrox Adapters Loose Against 4K Pocket

PostFri Nov 02, 2018 12:49 pm

Hey all,

I've been testing a lot lately and I wanted to share some experiences. I had the Metabones MFT to EF adapters on my list of purchases (either the XL or Ultra), but had heard really good things about the Viltrox EF-M2.

I've purchased two Viltrox adapters now from two different sellers (brand new) and neither fit tightly against the pocket 4k body. The movement is increased tremendously with a lens attached making it very hard to touch the lens without seeing movement in the image. I reached out to Viltrox and they said that new production units (produced in September) address this, but I can't find a reseller who has new units yet. So both are being returned.

I was beginning to worry that it might be my 4K body so I stopped by Aperture Rentals in Dallas yesterday to try out the Metabones .71x Ultra. It was extremely tight against the body! I tried another MFT Panasonic lens and it wasn't as tight compared to the Metabones, but it was much tighter than the Viltrox was.

So I ordered the Metabones .64x XL for same day delivery from Amazon (all my lenses are full-frame), but it turns out the XL I received had issues too. I was assuming all Metabones adapters were the same tight-fitting mount, but this one moved a different way. It had a slight rotational movement (vs the Viltrox which was all over the place).

It makes me wonder if anyone has received a speed booster without any issues.

I'm ordering a .71x Ultra today (since that is the model that fit the best at Aperture) and crossing my fingers that it fights just as well. It would have been nice to have the .64 vs the .71, but at least I'll be able to use any aps-c lenses if I choose where the .64 would have been full-frame only.
David Chapman
Just another creative dude with a camera.

David Chapman

Re: Metabones and Viltrox Adapters Loose Against 4K Pocket

PostFri Nov 02, 2018 1:53 pm

If anyone is wondering about the quality difference between the Metabones XL and the Viltrox M2, the Viltrox needs to be stopped down to at least T2.4 to be sharp. It can't handle anything below that. It will blur/bloom highlights in a very odd way—compared to the Metabones which is crystal clear compared.

Rokinon Cine DS 35mm at T1.5 on both:
Attachments
Metabones-v-Viltrox-WideOpen.jpg
Metabones-v-Viltrox-WideOpen.jpg (788.91 KiB) Viewed 8943 times
David Chapman

David Chapman

PostFri Nov 02, 2018 2:35 pm

I made a super quick comparison video (on my phone with iMovie) to show what I'm seeing with both adapters. I think the rotational movement on the Metabones adapter isn't that bad—especially since it's pretty firm when pulling focus. The Viltrox on the other hand has a ton of flex, so just touching the lens introduces some movement.

Sample Video:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/a5yagdcopo9s776/1080p.mov?dl=0
David Chapman

Rustam Babayev

PostFri Nov 02, 2018 3:49 pm

My 0.64x speedbooster on the old Pocket is not very tight, the lens with the booster can be rotated slightly around its axis. I wrote in support of Metabones and they sent me a replacement booster and it also did not sit tight. Then they sent me a new bayonet ring (camera side) for a booster with a tighter fit. But I have not tried it yet, I will put it when the Pocket 4K comes.

Ulysses Paiva

PostFri Nov 02, 2018 4:03 pm

When stopped down, how does the Viltrox compares to the Metabones? I've read its the same of even better. Can you confirm that?
Ulysses Paiva

Frank McCright

PostFri Nov 02, 2018 4:19 pm

David -

I need to get a Speed Booster as well. Can you let me know the exact .71x model you bought? I'd like to purchase it right away.

Thank you.

-Frank
-Frank

www.yogomi.com
www.pressnine.com
www.fbm4.com
www.stellarmusic.com

David Chapman

PostFri Nov 02, 2018 5:13 pm

Some answers:

Metabones Versions
The only two Metabones models that work are the .71 Ultra and .64 XL. The .64 XL won’t work with APS-C lenses and requires full-frame lenses, but has a wider field of view than the .71.

Viltrox Comparison
With the lens stopped down to about 2.8, the Viltrox is sharp and doesn’t have the odd glow. I can’t say it’s sharper than the Metabones though. But it’s impossible to rack focus without moving the lens because the whole adapter isn’t snug enough. It has too much play against the body and against the lens. All the folks that tested it out were testing for stills, not video, so it’s likely they didn’t come across this issue. Viltrox says they’ve fix it now but I haven’t seen one that is as snug as the Metabones.

Metabones .71 more snug
During my test at Aperture, the .71 was more snug against the camera body without any rotational movement. Both are very tight/snug at the lens end, but for whatever reason this .64 model isn’t as snug as the .71. I’m not sure if that’s the case across the board, but I may order another .64 and test. I might end up going with the .71 because of how snug it is. Unless I get a .71 that isn’t snug!
David Chapman

Thomas Schumacher

PostFri Nov 02, 2018 7:54 pm

Both my Viltrox (Nikon and EF) fit okay, but to get some decency in focus you have to adjut infinity focus (just watch a short clip on youtube for that).
https://www.gernemehrfilm.de/

Brandon Dunaway

PostSat Nov 03, 2018 2:32 am

Thanks for these comparisons David! Very interesting.

So I have the Viltrox and I haven't had the loose issues you are reporting. I've had no issues doing rack focus for example.

I have noticed that it is less sharp and has a bit of glow when open wide (1.2 especially on Sigma 18-35), however I didn't think it looked as bad as the image you shared. I went back and did a few tests tonight just to compare again. Obviously, I can't compare it to the Metabones as I don't have one, but I did do a few different aperture ranges. It is soft with glow at 1.2, but seems to start clearing up pretty quickly at 1.5. You can see the results below.

Overall I'm pretty happy with it, especially since I'm on a budget and got the Viltrox cheap on Ebay. But I would like to know if the Metabones does make that much of a difference in case I consider it in the future.

Thomas Schumacher wrote:Both my Viltrox (Nikon and EF) fit okay, but to get some decency in focus you have to adjut infinity focus (just watch a short clip on youtube for that).

I saw those videos, but never bothered with it as I didn't seem to have any issues with infinity focus. Is this something I should revisit? How do I know if it needs adjusting?
Attachments
ViltroxSigma18-35.jpg
ViltroxSigma18-35.jpg (248.56 KiB) Viewed 8769 times

Ryan Payne

PostSat Nov 03, 2018 4:46 am

David -

For the viltrox is there much extra focus throw on the lens when set to infinity? Could it be an issue of adjusting the element or do you think it's an issue of the elements?

Tristan Pemberton

PostSat Nov 03, 2018 11:44 am

I recently bought the Metabones 0.64x for my Pocket 4k.

Perfect fit - tight, no play, but not difficult to mount and unmount.

And I've tested it with 50mm f/1.2 & 50mm f/1.4. Looks great wide open without any 'blooming' or 'glow' effect.
Director
Australia
www.flywirefilms.com

David Chapman

PostSat Nov 03, 2018 2:02 pm

Ryan Payne wrote:David -

For the viltrox is there much extra focus throw on the lens when set to infinity? Could it be an issue of adjusting the element or do you think it's an issue of the elements?

It's not an infinity focus issue, since stopping down to T2.4 or so (on my lens) shows everything in focus. It must be something with the lens elements or build of the adapters. Even the sample Brandon provided wide open has the same issue. Mine looks worse because I'm showing a white object against a darker background (with a lot more light than his), but it's definitely there. The Metabones doesn't exhibit this weird glow.

I was happy with the Viltrox until I compared it to the Metabones (though I wanted a tighter fitting adapter).
David Chapman

Thomas Schumacher

PostSun Nov 04, 2018 9:08 am

Brandon Dunaway wrote:
Thomas Schumacher wrote:Both my Viltrox (Nikon and EF) fit okay, but to get some decency in focus you have to adjut infinity focus (just watch a short clip on youtube for that).

I saw those videos, but never bothered with it as I didn't seem to have any issues with infinity focus. Is this something I should revisit? How do I know if it needs adjusting?

If you're able to focus on anything you like then you're fine. I wasn't able to focus on objects far away and with the Nikon-MFT version I wasn't even able to focus in short distance but further away objects.
https://www.gernemehrfilm.de/

Brandon Dunaway

PostSun Nov 04, 2018 6:05 pm

Thomas Schumacher wrote:If you're able to focus on anything you like then you're fine. I wasn't able to focus on objects far away and with the Nikon-MFT version I wasn't even able to focus in short distance but further away objects.

Yeah I haven't had any issues with focus, so I guess I was one of the lucky ones when it comes to Viltrox quality control. Didn't need to make any adjustments.

Looks like the glow and softness wide open is just normal for that adapter, judging by David's tests and my own comparison.

Lesha_kvaz

PostSun Nov 04, 2018 7:28 pm

Maybe you should use adapter support ? that should fix adapter in one place

Justin Jackson

PostMon Nov 05, 2018 5:22 am

I was curious why no adapter support either? I guess if not in a tripod or rig it wont matter.

I purchased the Aputure LensRegain.. wont have camera for a few months I guess, but once its all together I would be happy to share results. I am really hoping it works out well. Some have said you lose in camera aperture control, but it has the wireless focus and aperture controllers built in, so I am OK with that for video work I think. Not sure if/when it would become a problem.
Custom DIY AMD1950x 16-core/32-thread, liquid cooled, 64GB 3600Mhz RAM, 950Pro-512GB NVMe os/apps, 2x500GB 850 Evo RAID 0 SATA3, Zotac 1070 8GB video, USB 3.1Gen2 RAID0 2x4TB, 2x2TB Crucial MX500 SSD SATA3.

michaeldhead

PostMon Nov 05, 2018 6:19 pm

Justin Jackson wrote:I was curious why no adapter support either? I guess if not in a tripod or rig it wont matter.

I purchased the Aputure LensRegain.. wont have camera for a few months I guess, but once its all together I would be happy to share results. I am really hoping it works out well. Some have said you lose in camera aperture control, but it has the wireless focus and aperture controllers built in, so I am OK with that for video work I think. Not sure if/when it would become a problem.

I got the LensRegain when it went on sale recently - and my camera arrives tomorrow!!! I don't have a Metabones or Viltrox to test against, but I will give my thoughts on the LenRegain.
Michael D Head
www.michaeldhead.com
producer/writer/director/DP

misterk

PostFri Jul 19, 2019 8:43 am

Sorry to bump an old post but beats creating new.

I am having the same issue with my Viltrox + Sigma at f1.2
Will this happen if I get a native f1.2/f1.4 lens too but even worse with the lower f stop?

Any way to fix this or just use native m43 lenses?
CPU Water: R7 1700 @ 3.9Ghz 1.33Vcore / GPU Water: 1080ti @ 2Ghz Core, 6.3GHz Mem / RAM: 32GB Trident Z @ 3600MHz / DRIVES: 2TB 980 PRO OS, 1TB 860 EVO Scratch, 1TB 860 EVO Active Footage

Desilence

PostMon Jun 08, 2020 6:12 pm

I have the same issue -
Stopping down from 1.2 to 1.9 seems get rid of the unfocused/bloom
However quite dissapointing.
Davinci Resolve Studio 17
Mac Pro 6,1 Xeon E5 6 core, 32GB ram, 2xD700
Pc, Core i9 10900K, 64GB ram, rtx3090, win11 pro
Pc, Ryzen 5800x, 64GB ram, 6900xt, win10 pro

Robert Castiglione

PostTue Jun 09, 2020 12:37 am

My experiences with the metabones 0.64x and viltrox (nikon)

Metabones very sharp and snug. Great image. These guys know what they are doing.

Viltrox excellent image quality. But a little loose. I have tried two and one was better than the other. Massively cheaper than the Metabones. I have it on a second bmpcc 4k.

Attaching the lens support that comes with the speedboosters and attaches to a cage is a good idea and that really helps with heavier lenses and to keep the whole unit quite rigid.

Chee
Rob Castiglione
robcastiglione.com

Desilence

PostTue Jun 09, 2020 6:36 am

Being quite annoyed by the unfocus/blooming with fast lenses I tried tightening the viltrox lens element turning clockwise until it felt tight. Now it is very sharp even at 1.2 (sigma 18-35) And the lense almost seems parfocal too.
The fit of my viltrox is fine not loose or too tight.
Davinci Resolve Studio 17
Mac Pro 6,1 Xeon E5 6 core, 32GB ram, 2xD700
Pc, Core i9 10900K, 64GB ram, rtx3090, win11 pro
Pc, Ryzen 5800x, 64GB ram, 6900xt, win10 pro

BennoZ

PostWed Jun 10, 2020 10:09 am

Please please use the "Cine" version of the Metabones which is specially made for the BMPCC, you can tighten this one on your baseplate. Also this mount has a very tight connection instead of the sloppy ef mount: https://www.metabones.com/products/details/MB_SPEF-m43-BTA

Robert Castiglione

PostThu Jun 11, 2020 12:23 am

For one version of the viltrox speedbooster I tried which was noticeably loose I just made a paper shim for it and then it fitted perfectly.

Rob
Rob Castiglione
robcastiglione.com

Return to Cinematography