Frequently Asked Questions - Live Production

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Xtreemtec

Frequently Asked Questions - Live Production

PostMon Jan 01, 2018 4:39 pm

In following of this "Frequently Asked Questions Cinematography" i wanted to open a FAQ for live video.
As we get a lot of the same questions around here, i will try to put forward links to usefull topics and also will create some topics to put in very usefull data on several points of discussion.

A little introduction of myself. I'm Daniel, 30 years old at the moment of writing, Broadcast engineer and owner of a broadcast company called Xtreemtec Media Productions. With 8 years of expirience with BMD hardware and 13 years of video and broadcast gear.
We have 2 OBV's and 2 Flypacks all build around BMD hardware. The OBV trailer is full 12G build for 4K productions. We also develop hardware for the broadcast industry that comes forth of things we miss in the field or see opertunities to make a new product that will fit into our setup.
My native language is Dutch, so i'm sorry for my gramatical errors that i write up. But i hope everyone can understand me ;)

============================================================================

I will try to set up the topics in logic groups. If you have any suggestions or add ons please let me know. So i can keep building on a good and easy to read FAQ.

SUPPORT:

Were can i find a driver, software or manual?
> Drivers and software are found in the Support section on the website.

Why does BMD not help me here? I need help!
> This is an USER forum! Most help comes from users dedicating there time to help you.

I need to report a defect or strange behaviour and the forum does not know??
> Contact Email Support

I need urgent help!!
> Call BMD local support

Sub Posts:
>> 1 Atem Mixer
>> 2 Camera
>> 3 Recording
>> 4 Capture, Playback and Streaming
>> 5 Converters
>> 6 Cabeling and Fiber
>> 7 BMD Camera Control
>> 8 Overlay, Keyers, Graphics
>> 9 Audio
> 10 Temperature Manegement
> 11 Latency in live video
> 12 Intercom
> 13 Software
> 14 Miscellaneous

More info will be added in this month!! Please give me some time to add all the info, as there is so much to cover. I will add info on a daily basis
:)
Last edited by Xtreemtec on Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:15 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Xtreemtec

Frequently Asked Questions - Atem Mixer

PostMon Jan 01, 2018 4:44 pm

Atem mixer:

> Point 1.01
I connected the USB to my Atem but Media Express can not capture video
Older Atem models build arround 2010 had a capture option by USB. These mixers can be reconised by there passive cooling blocks.
These were the old Atem 1M/E 2M/E (USB 3.0) and Television studio (H.264).
On the newer Atems the USB is ONLY for firmware updates and Network settings!
You will need an external capture device, see the Capture and Streaming post for more information.

> Point 1.02
I connected a source to my Atem but i can not see it on the multiviewer
All sources must match the resolution and framerate of the Atem settings.
This means that if your Atem is set to 1080i50, all sources must send 1080 interlaced with 50 frames per second. If a source does not match these setting it won't show up!!
To match your source to the Atem, first try the settings of the source.
Source is Camera >You have a camera and you want to match it to the Atem. Have a look into the menu of the camera and find the "OUTPUT SETTINGS" Not to confuse with the "RECORD SETTINGS" which are in most cases not linked to the output settings of the camera. Consult the manual of your camera first to see if they mention anything about output settings.
Source is Computer >Most computers have extensive videocard settings. Which go far beyond the default windows settings.
>First match the resolution with windows "Display Settings".
>Select the display you need to adjust.
>Match resolution to a broadcast resolution (1280x720, 1920x1080, 3840x2160) you have set the atem to.
>Now match the Framerate. This can be found under "Display Adapter Settings"
>Go to TAB "Monitor" and under "Monitor Settings" you can select the "Screen refresh rate"
For 1080I50 and your computer can't deal with interlaced? Sometimes will help to set it to 25P. Depending on video card model.
This will in most cases get you up and running. Be aware that if you have a Black background you will not see direct result in your multiviewer!
Source is Mac >
(Have to dig up some info about mac. I'm a windows user. ;)
At the moment of writing a lot of users have troubles with MAC. Mac has activated HDCP in allof there new software releases.. And you will have a lot of trouble to get a direct connection.
If you use an adapter (TB > HDMI , Mini DP > HDMI , ETC) keep in mind that Apple's own adapters are the best to use.. Have seen a lot of issues in the forum solved after they started using official Apple converters. Those cheaper clones often do work fine on a LCD monitor or projector.. But the Atem is really picky about the signal it wants to have.
If you still have problems to get the MAC to match resolution framerate with the Atem.
Try a program called SwitchResX. This software can be tested for 10 days for free and costs 14 euros.
If you still cant get it to work, while it does work on a computer monitor. Then you out of luck and in need of a Decimator MD-HX or BMD UpDownCross HD to solve your problems.
Source is DVD player / Set top box >
A lot of DVD players and Set top boxes have a HDMI port. But while they have a HDMI port and will work fine with a TV behind it. It will often not work with a Atem or HDMI converter. The problem behind this issue is called HDCP encryption. This is a protection key system that protects content (Like played on DVD and Set top boxes) not to be copied. The Atem and almost every broadcast converter does not support HDCP as they would violate laws against protection.
So in short. Most of these sources will not get to work on a Legal way!
Source won't match!! >There will be sometimes a source that will not match or is hard to get up and running with the Atem. This can have several causes.
In most cases it will work with an extra converter like the BMD UpDownCross HD or Decimator MD-HX which will convert an input resolution and framerate to a different resolution and framerate.

> Point 1.03
I have setup my Atem IP adress but the software says "No device connected"
To start, the Atem has a USB and Network connection. The USB is for firmware updates and to configure the Atem with "Atem Setup". Here you configure the IP address of the Atem.
Fresh out of the box the Atem will be pre-configured for 192.168.10.240
First off you want to connect a cable to the IP port of the Atem. While a Cross cable direct from Atem to PC/MAC will work.. I do NOT recommend it!! Just too many things that can go wrong.

Best is to use a network switch. These switches don't cost a lot anymore. And if you need to buy 1? Buy a gigabit capable switch. This ensures more troughput and less problems when you are putting more and more gear on the same switch.
Another advantage of a network switch is that it will auto detect if a cable is crossed or not and will always connect your Computer and Atem in the right way. Neet thing is that you also can see on the switch if there is a cable connected. (You will see led lights flickering on data)
So you have connected your Computer and Atemto the same switch. You seenetwork traffic by blinking led's.
Configuring the network settings to connect with the Atem. In this example we go by the idea the Atem is still on it's default address ( 192.168.10.240 )
> On Windows
  • Right click the network icon (Down right corner near the clock) "Open network and sharing center".
  • On the left pane "Change adapter settings"
  • Locate the network connection that is your hardwired network connection you have connected to the switch. ( Often called "Local Area Connection" )
  • Right click and click "Properties"
  • In the list select the "Internet Protocol Version 4(TCP/IPv4)" and click the "Properties" button below it.
  • Now a window will open and 2 options are possible, Or the box "Obtain an IP address automatically" is selected, or "Use the following IP address" is selected. If so make a photo of these settings so you can remember them for later!
  • Now we select the second option so we can cahnge the settings to our needs:
    IP address: 192.168.10.230
    Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default gateway: 192.168.10.1
    As you can see i set the computer to a different IP address as the mixer. But in the same range!
    The IP address may be anything between 1 and 255. As long as it stays in the range 192.168.10.XXX
    But to avoid most used IP addresses 230 is pretty safe. While if you have a network connected with more devices on it. The change can be that a device is already on 10.230.. ;)
  • Click on OK and your settings are saved.
    ** If your computer was connected to the internet by hard wire. your internet connection is now lost.
    The key to get this working with a hardwired connection to internet and the Atem requires a bit more skills and configuring some settings in the advanced menu of IP settings. Google this or consult an IT guy on how to set up fixed IP for internet connection with different IP range.

> On Mac
  • I do not have a Mac. So i need some guidance from somebody with a Mac to write this one out.

> Point 1.04
Atem control connection drops out.
An Atem can drop the connection if data packets don't reach the Atem or Atem Software Control panel.
Atem communicates over network with UDP based data packets. UDP is a protocol that differs from TCP. While with TCP packets it always will verify and report back that packet is received.
UDP is a protocol that does not care about reporting back. A UDP packet is send. And it does not care if it get's received by anyone. It just sends a new packet every time it has a update.
BMD has implemented this in the Atem hardware / software. By design they included some timers inside there protocol to keep track if packets are new and sequential.

So if we would disturb these packets an Atem can drop the connection as it had missed 1 or more packets.
Drop outs can have many causes. Bad network switch, cabling, to many data run trough the switch, having 2 devices in 1 network with the same IP address, Running other UDP traffic like streaming video or other network high demanding network traffic, Wifi connections often have issues! Firewalls or other software on the computer that interfers with the network traffic.

WIFI:
Running Atem with Wifi connections is never recommended. Due too traffic shaping for wireless the protocol can have a lot of issues. Only a few people got it stable working.
If you need to go on wifi check the Livepad Strata website
He has a detailed description on his website why wifi can be a problem and how to solve it..
Strata Website wrote:The ATEM protocol is highly intolerant of connected clients which don't respond to every message in an appropriate timeframe. This means that if your WIFI connection is interrupted, even quite briefly, the ATEM will reject the client connection.

As a comparison - TCP/IP connections and protocols are designed to deal with this sort of thing, with the connection 'guaranteed' to deliver the data (whilst the socket connection is maintained), and most TCP servers and clients have reasonable timeouts to allow for network disruptions of a few seconds.

However, the ATEM protocol uses UDP, where its possible (even common) for data packets to fail to arrive at their destination.

Clearly the ATEM protocol was designed to run on wired network connections with zero packet loss and very low latencies. Running this over a wireless connection requires some care to create as clean a network as possible with minimal interruptions caused by interference, or other WIFI influencing agents.

Maximum number of Connections!!
All Atems have a limit on how many connections you can make to it before it runs out of recources.
This is depending on model. The smaller models can connect fewer devices than the bigger mixers like the 2ME. Will add more info about this later. ;)

Some topics about Atem dropout related issues:
Atem Media pool won't upload but can control Atem switching
2 M/E 4k Network Connection question

> Point 1.05
Atem software keeps prompting for an update!
Atem software and firmware need to be in sync. If you are running a different software version on your computer then there is inside the Atem. It won't connect and will prompt you to update the firmware.
This will happen when the firmware is older or newer then the software running on the computer.
Keep in mind that if you connect with more then 1 computer to the Atem. You need to have installed the same software version on all computers. Otherwise 1 will connect and the other will prompt for a firmware update!
After a Firmware up or downgrade, it is good praktise to remove the power and USB lead for a few seconds to power reset the Atem.
At moment of writing you can not read or see what version firmware is inside the Atem mixer. So the best way is to install the Latest version software on your machine. And update the Atem after that.
You might need a USB A-B lead to firmware update the Atem by USB. But the latest models do support a network update methode.
Setting the IP settings always requires a USB lead plugged into the Atem.

> Point 1.06
How do i downgrade the firmware?
To downgrade the firmware of you Atem mixer or every other BMD device.
  • Remove the software on your computer if you had this installed.
  • Download software version that has the Firmware you need. (See Support section on the website for downloads)
  • Install this software on your computer
  • Run the software. Connect your device to the computer and you will be prompted "Firmware Update required"
  • But Wait Update?? Yes Update. While you are downgrading. The software will always say Update. ;)
  • When update is ready. Remove all power and USB connections. And reconnect after a few seconds.

Models made:
> Echolab Atem
The company Echolab started making the Atem line. Echolab was aquired by BMD in 2010 and redesigned the Atem to make them cheaper and lighter. This started a revolution in the broadcast world. Echolab Atems are not compatible with BMD Atems or controllers or software.
For support on the old Echolab Atems you might want to go to Atemuser.com

> Atem Television Studio (old model)
The Atem Television Studio is a lightweight 1ru video mixer with 4 hdmi and 4 sdi connections. While in total a total combination of 6 inputs can be used. Channel 3 & 4 are switchable for HDMI or SDI.

> Atem 1M/E (old model)
> Atem 2M/E (old model)

> Atem Production Studio 4K
> Atem 1M/E Production Studio 4K
> Atem 2M/E Production Studio 4K
> Atem 2M/E Broadcast Studio 4K

> Atem Television Studio HD
> Atem Television Studio HD Pro

> Videohub control of Atem Constellation
Last edited by Xtreemtec on Sat Jul 15, 2023 8:15 pm, edited 10 times in total.
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Xtreemtec

Frequently Asked Questions - Camera

PostMon Jan 01, 2018 4:44 pm

Camera

Section for Camera's Work in progress

Sending timecode back to Ursas via new fiber converters LTC Timecode sync.
Last edited by Xtreemtec on Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:42 am, edited 3 times in total.

Xtreemtec

Frequently Asked Questions - Recording

PostMon Jan 01, 2018 4:45 pm

Recording

Section for Recording. Work in progress

> Point 3.01
How to render video to be playable by the Hyperdeck??
While the Hyperdecks are very picky on what format they want to have their video to be able to play it. There are no good export profiles or instructions out there at the moment.
I have the intend to make some profiles but i only edit on Sony Vegas and not on Mac or Premiere.. So might need some help from others to get the profiles for common used settings.

For now i have Quick and Dirty way that seems to work and i do advice this way to the forum for a year now.

• Determine target resolution and framerate needed for your project. (Often used with an Atem mixer)
  • Record with recorder some video in the target resolution and framerate you need to play out. (Record output of the Atem to a card.)
  • Import video into your Editing software and go to options and let "project settings" match based on footage.
  • Save this profile DNxHD in your settings so you can recall this later for other projects.
  • Open the content you want to render for this project and apply the Saved settings for your DNxHD project.
  • Render out and save to card.
  • You should be good to go.

Don't forget that you need the Avid codec pack for DNxHD.. Not sure if every edit software does include this.. Download Avid QuickTime Codecs Lite Edition 2.7.3 (15-09-2016)

1280x720 50P DNxHD Settings for Premiere
1080 and 720 59.94 I and P NTSC ProRes presets for Adobe Media Encoder

A VERY Usefull topic about Hyperdeck encoding presets
Encoding for playback on Hyperdeck Studio
Hyperdeck Studio Mini Record Format
File export to Hyperdeck for playback

How to create a ProRes 444 Alpha stinger for Studio Mini?

> Point 3.02
I have network connected to my Hyperdeck but i have no FTP acces?
FTP acces is only available on the Hyperdeck Studio Mini.
On all other hyperdecks the network connection can only be used for remote control. The protocol for remote control is described in the manual of the hyperdeck.

> Point 3.03
How much time can i record on a drive?
Recording time depends on the card or ssd used. But also on the codec you use.
In this topic Hyperdeck Studio Mini File Sizes is more information about the how to calculate file size.

There is an APP called AJA Datacalc. With this software you can select the codec you want to use.
Set the number of channels of audio. (16 with the hyperdecks)
And then you can see how much time you can record on a card or how much GB it takes to record a time frame.
AJA DataCalc for IOS
AJA DataClac for Andriod

For Hyperdeck mini and Video Assist (4k) you need SD cards.
Also remember that you need a card that is recommended and tested by BMD. Other cards might not work due too read write speeds..
What SD card should I use with the Blackmagic Video Assist 4K?

For the Hyperdeck Studio's you need SSD drives of the certified recommended list.
What SSDs should I use with the HyperDecks?

> Point 3.04
How do i control the Hyperdeck Studio Remote
The Hyperdeck Studio is remote controllable by RS422 and Ethernet.
For this to work you have to push the REM button on the Hyperdeck.
The Hyperdeck Mini's don't have a REM button.

How to use Hyperdecks as Slomotion players
Last edited by Xtreemtec on Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:08 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Xtreemtec

Frequently Asked Questions - Capture, Playbackand Stream

PostMon Jan 01, 2018 6:16 pm

Capture, Playback and Streaming

Section for Capture, Playback and Streaming. Work in progress

There are several ways how to realtime capture video to a computer/mac.

BMD offer several different ways of hardware to get your video in or out.
PCI-E Cards for inside a desktop machine.
USB 2, 3 or C for external use.
Thunderbolt for external use.

> Point 4.01
The driver software for all capture hardware can be found in the BMD Support section on the website.
Desktop Video is the configuration, update and driver install software for the capture hardware of BMD.
Media Express is a capture and playback software made by BMD to support their hardware. In most cases this is the software to test with if you have problems with your hardware to other software like Vmix, Wirecast, or others.

> Point 4.02
PCI-E:
For internal card we have 2 options. The Intensity card are often called the low end card with capture and playback for HDMI, component and composite plus audio. and Decklink cards.
Decklink card not regonised? 1 way that could solve it.

> Point 4.03
USB:
Often we hear people say i have System X and USB3.0 product Y from BMD and it does not work!!
Please always check the minimum hardware requirements for the hardware you buy!
USB 3 Support note (03-01-2018)
Also we have a topic with hardware tested with USB 3.0 products. If you have any questions about USB3 compatiblity or have a different system configuration and got it to work. Please report it there and we will add it to the list.
List of computers that works with BMD USB3.0 products

Intensity Shuttle USB 3 A USB3.0 capture box with HDMI, Component and composite and audio inputs.
This device only supports up to 1080P30 and 1080i60. No 1080P50/60
There is also a Thunderbolt version of this box.

> Point 4.04
Thunderbolt:
Thunderbolt is becoming more used the last few years. While found mostly on MAC machines, more and more Windows machines get hardware support for Thunderbolt or USB-C. While Thunderbolt gets mixed by different hardware vendors with Displayport mini and USB-C, and Several standards within Thunderbolt, 2, and 3. Makes it a bit more difficult in some cases to mix and adapt.
We will go deeper on this topic in the future.

BMD Devices with Thunderbolt:
Intensity Shuttle Thunderbolt
Ultrastudio Thunderbolt Series

Intensity Shuttle VHS recording TimeBase Corrector

Decklink card is skipping frames / dropouts

> Point 4.05
High Sierra and Decklink / Ultrastudio products
There are issues with MacOS since Sierra (includes Sierra, High Sierra, Mojave and up) and drivers for the capture and playback devices.
Read this topic for several solutions.
BMD Devices not recognised in Mac OSX High Sierra

Tony Rivera wrote:Most likely you see this behavior due to the new security features in the macOS High Sierra.
If you already confirmed that the Blackmagic Design device is showing up in the ▸About This Mac▸System Report…▸USB/Thunderbolt, then you will need to allow it in the System Preferences▸Security & Privacy▸General.

There you will need to look for a text message similar to "System software from developer Blackmagic Design was blocked from loading." as well as the [Allow] button right next to that message. Click the button to allow.
Because this message may only appear for about 30 minutes after the installation of the Desktop Video software on your computer, you may need to perform a full reinstall of the Desktop Video software. To do so:
  • 1. Navigate to the Application▸Blackmagic Desktop Video… and launch the Uninstall Desktop Video.app. Restart your computer as prompted.
  • 2. Download and install the most current version of the Desktop Video (10.9.11 and later). Follow on-screen prompts to restart the computer.
  • 3. Once the system is fully up, go to the System Preferences▸Security & Privacy▸General and Allow the Blackmagic Design system software.
  • 4. Due to a rarely occurring unexpected behavior in the macOS 10.13. X you might need to perform steps 1–3 once more.

> Point 4.06
Windows: Decklink / Ultrastudio product is not reconised
The Firmware of the BMD capture device must be the SAME as the Desktop Video software version you have installed. In order to get the FW loaded, after Desktop video has installed you need to reboot the machine. This will trigger the Firmware Updater to upgrade your device. But for a lot of reasons the firmware updater sometimes is not triggered.
Here is how to trigger the firmware updater to start updating.
BMD Capture Devices not recognised in Windows

> Point 4.07
I want to capture VHS tapes but my screen stays black.
Eric-Jan his guide to (VHS) Video Capture
Last edited by Xtreemtec on Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:50 pm, edited 15 times in total.

Xtreemtec

Re: Frequently Asked Questions - Converters

PostMon Jan 01, 2018 6:17 pm

Converters

Section for Converters. Work in progress

List of BMD Products that accept 3G Level A as of 8/30/18
Last edited by Xtreemtec on Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xtreemtec

Frequently Asked Questions - Cabeling and Fiber

PostMon Jan 01, 2018 8:17 pm

Last edited by Xtreemtec on Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:00 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Xtreemtec

Frequently Asked Questions - BMD Camera Control

PostMon Jan 01, 2018 8:17 pm

BMD Camera Control

Section for BMD Camera Control. Work in progress

I have a NON Atem mixer and want to use tally on my Ursa cameras?
Ursa Mini 4K tally control by non Atem mixer

Resolve Mini / Micro panel to control cameras from Atem?

Atem Visca camera control
Last edited by Xtreemtec on Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:03 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Xtreemtec

Frequently Asked Questions - Overlay, Keyers, Graphics

PostMon Jan 01, 2018 8:18 pm

Overlay, Keyers, Graphics

Section for Overlay, Keyers, Graphics. Work in progress

Creative way to make a Double PIP on a 1Me mixer
Last edited by Xtreemtec on Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xtreemtec

Frequently Asked Questions - Audio

PostTue Jan 02, 2018 9:52 am

Last edited by Xtreemtec on Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Xtreemtec

Re: Frequently Asked Questions - Temperature Manegement

PostTue Jan 02, 2018 9:54 am

Temperature Manegement

Section for Temperature Manegement. Work in progress

Xtreemtec

Re: Frequently Asked Questions - Latency in live video

PostTue Jan 02, 2018 9:54 am

Latency in live video

Section for Latency in live video. Work in progress

Intresting topics about Processing delay and latency.
In linked topics you will find some references to 3 frames delay!! on the Ursa mini cameras.
Since Camera update 4.9 this got down to less then 1 frame for the Ursa mini camera series

First job with Ursa Mini and B4 adapter
Processing Delay of ATEM TV HD: "6 lines" in milliseconds?
Ursa mini - live
Teranex Mini IP Video 12G latency
Ursa Mini Pro Reference while using fiber?
Atem HD Latency? The Atem isn't your problem..
Last edited by Xtreemtec on Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:02 am, edited 4 times in total.

Xtreemtec

Frequently Asked Questions - Intercom

PostTue Jan 02, 2018 9:56 am

Intercom

Section for Intercom. Work in progress

Atem 2 M/E Production Studio 4k - Talkback and connection to 2/4 wire
Last edited by Xtreemtec on Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xtreemtec

Re: Frequently Asked Questions - Software

PostTue Jan 02, 2018 9:58 am

Software

Section for Software. Work in progress

Xtreemtec

Re: Frequently Asked Questions - Miscellaneous

PostTue Jan 02, 2018 9:58 am

Miscellaneous

Section for Miscellaneous. Work in progress

Xtreemtec

Re: Frequently Asked Questions -Live Production

PostTue Jan 02, 2018 9:59 am

Intentionally left blank for future use!

Xtreemtec

PostTue Jan 02, 2018 10:04 am

Xtreemtec

PostTue Jan 02, 2018 10:07 am

Xtreemtec

PostTue Jan 02, 2018 10:16 am

Thomas Seewald

Re: Frequently Asked Questions - Live Production

PostWed Jan 03, 2018 9:32 am

Hi Daniel,

thank you for doing this huge work.
thos-berlin - Thomas S e e w a l d

Oscar Figueiredo

PostTue Jan 09, 2018 10:48 pm

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for the response on streaming from the USB input. I had understood that Blackmagic discontinued the USB transmission function from the launch of WebPresenter.
Thank you
Oscar Figueiredo

Scott Smith

PostFri Feb 02, 2018 10:09 pm

Not been here in a while, and see these FAQ posts. Nice job. I see at least one of these links to a thread which I am heavily featured in, and where i posted links to Adobe Media Encoder presets. I may take a look and see if there are any others I might make and add.
Scott R Smith
BMD Stuff I use: ATEM 2-M/E, 4 x ATEM PS 4K, Broadcast Videohub, 6 Hyperdeck Pros, 4 Hyperdeck Shuttles, Multidock, Smartscope Duo, Smartview, Intensity Extreme, Decklink Studio, and lots of Miniconverters and Open Gear Converters.

brianone20

PostTue Jul 24, 2018 11:56 pm

Wow great info thank you very much Daniel!!
I am wondering about using an RF link with the BM URSA broadcast. Anyone have experience with testing to see if camera control ancillary data will pass through and be received on the URA's so we can use the BM panel to paint wireless cameras?

marc.colemont

PostWed Jul 25, 2018 4:26 pm

Wireless HD-SDI /3G-SDI systems strip the auxiliary data to save data. I tried multiple systems. In the end I made my own wireless CCU with the BM-shield and Radio modules. Skaarhoj has also a WiFi-B4 unit that works through WiFi.

brianone20

PostTue Aug 07, 2018 5:21 pm

marc.colemont wrote:Wireless HD-SDI /3G-SDI systems strip the auxiliary data to save data. I tried multiple systems. In the end I made my own wireless CCU with the BM-shield and Radio modules. Skaarhoj has also a WiFi-B4 unit that works through WiFi.

Understood, thank you. What if you are sending RF far distances? Wifi will not be viable. Do you make and sell the RF unit you created, or would you be interested in doing so?

Eric-Jan

PostMon Aug 13, 2018 6:48 pm

Nice ! Great to see a forum support for the BMD soft and hardware ! recently i noticed Davinci Resolve, and use it now for some time and have the UltraStudio Mini Recorder and Intensity Shuttle, i do like them all, and have done some capturing, from a (good) VHS/DVD recorder, i also notice some of the same "troubles" from other users, as i ran into, I think it would be nice to have some FAQ's also in the "Getting Started" forum group,
since i guess it is the first place where people will look, and a FAQ there will be a quick starting help, the user will be able to ask a more direct question, if stiil needed.
I now have some experience, I use a Macbook Pro, and sofar this goes quite nice, i also managed to make a full (16:9) screen image from a 4:3 video recording,(keeping the good ratio) don't know if this is diserible for me in the near future, due to resolution degrading, but i can with Davinci, and i like that.
I also want to help with the "sticky" FAQ in the "Geting Started" forum, if needed.
Intensity Shuttle, ATEM Mini, Video Assist 5"(mini USB), Hyperdeck ShuttleHD,Analog to SDI mini-converter, software: Davinci Resolve 15 on Sierra, Resolve 18 on Catalina. (Using Apple OS 32 & 64 bit on different MacBook Pro's

Peter Benson

PostTue Aug 28, 2018 2:26 pm

Eric-Jan wrote:Nice ! Great to see a forum support for the BMD soft and hardware ! recently i noticed Davinci Resolve, and use it now for some time and have the UltraStudio Mini Recorder and Intensity Shuttle, i do like them all, and have done some capturing, from a (good) VHS/DVD recorder, i also notice some of the same "troubles" from other users, as i ran into, I think it would be nice to have some FAQ's also in the "Getting Started" forum group,
since i guess it is the first place where people will look, and a FAQ there will be a quick starting help, the user will be able to ask a more direct question, if stiil needed.
I now have some experience, I use a Macbook Pro, and sofar this goes quite nice, i also managed to make a full (16:9) screen image from a 4:3 video recording,(keeping the good ratio) don't know if this is diserible for me in the near future, due to resolution degrading, but i can with Davinci, and i like that.
I also want to help with the "sticky" FAQ in the "Geting Started" forum, if needed.
+1

ResolveStudio 14.3...014 | MiniMonitor | DTV 10.9.7 | Win8.1 x64 | ROG G751JL, 2.8GHz Intel i7HQ, 24GB DDR4, 1TB HD, 500GB EVO 850, 2GB GTX965M | Mackie MCU Pro | Softube Console 1 Mkii | Shuttle Pro 2 | more...
DTV 10.9.7 > Kingston SD5000T > MiniMonitor > Bravia | Samsung U28D590 | DRS 14.3.0.014 | Win8.1 x64 | ASUS G751JL, i7-4720HQ, 24GB | GTX965M | 1TB HDD, 500GB EVO 850 SSD | MCU Pro | Softube Console 1 Mkii | Shuttle Pro 2

Matt_Frank

PostTue Oct 30, 2018 6:19 pm

I haven't seen anything on this topic specifically (unless I just didnt do enough searching). Here at our church, Life Center Ministries, we use the ATEM 1 Control Panel. We run 4 cameras through it to display on our screens in our sanctuary and broadcast. We have been experiencing some issues with losing connection mid service. Board will lose connection for a solid 10-20 seconds and then come back on. My boss thinks hes narrowed it down to the physical connection between the board and the network cable. The first network connection input on the back of the board does not work whatsoever. The second one does. We have checked the connectors to make sure they are not bent or damaged in anyway and they do not appear to be. We were wondering if it were at all possible to purchase a back connection piece. The piece on the back of the board with the two power inputs and two network cable inputs. My boss thinks it might solve the problem. We weren't sure so he asked me to ask around and do some research, thanks!

Mxolisi Maselela

PostSat Nov 03, 2018 3:24 pm

In reference to > Point 4.05
There are issues with high sierra and drivers for the capture and playback devices.

Are there issues with Mojave and Media Express? Since I updated the OS, I've not been able to get signal on my Ultra Studio Mini Recorder. When I try to look for updates on it as well, the same thing.

Xtreemtec

PostTue Nov 06, 2018 12:22 pm

Mxolisi Maselela wrote:In reference to > Point 4.05
There are issues with high sierra and drivers for the capture and playback devices.

Are there issues with Mojave and Media Express? Since I updated the OS, I've not been able to get signal on my Ultra Studio Mini Recorder. When I try to look for updates on it as well, the same thing.

From what i can find about Mojave.. (I'm not a mac person) It is the succesor of Sierra.. So i guess they also took the Security engine of Sierra to the new mojave. In other words, count on it you have to change the security settings also in Mojave and newer OS's to come.. ;)

zonuna

PostMon Feb 11, 2019 12:04 pm

Hello,
Where can i find a demo/Tutorials or Reviews on ATEM 4 M/E Broadcast studio 4k ?
can you input a consumer camcorder with 3G or 6G SDI ?

Xtreemtec

PostMon Feb 11, 2019 12:13 pm

Have you tried Google? :P https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... +broadcast

Depends on which consumer camera. There are cameras that have HDMI only which often can be converted to SDI, there are cameras with SDI.

But this topic and replies are more on all the info i put up here. Not to answer individual questions.

So you better open up a topic with the questions you have and we can give you help with your setup. :)

zonuna

PostMon Feb 11, 2019 12:26 pm

Thanks i`ll post a net topic

rudolf

PostWed May 20, 2020 5:48 pm

Hi, just ordered my ATEM Mini Pro, after watching reviews and tutorials online, I have yet to find if there is a way to make atem mini pro able to output the live stream and simultaneously live feed to a projector or to other monitor?

Many thanks

Mike_O

PostMon May 25, 2020 10:59 pm

rudolf wrote:Hi, just ordered my ATEM Mini Pro, after watching reviews and tutorials online, I have yet to find if there is a way to make atem mini pro able to output the live stream and simultaneously live feed to a projector or to other monitor?

It's my understanding that you connect an internet cable to get the streaming and you can simultaneously live feed a projector or other monitor using the HDMI Out port.

MY Problem is I can't find a way to stream and output to a projector AND SEE THE MULTI-VIEW so I can actually see what I'm switching rather than switching blind. The single HDMI output can feed EITHER the program output OR the multi-view (switchable).....but I can't find a way to feed BOTH program out AND the multi-view.

What good is that unless you have fixed cameras so you always know in your mind what each will show....but if you have camera operators, as I do, it doesn't look like you can see what they're doing on multi-view AND feed program output to a projector. HUGE fail. Hope I've missed something.

f1ght3r

PostFri Jun 19, 2020 8:58 pm

Mike_O wrote:
rudolf wrote:Hi, just ordered my ATEM Mini Pro, after watching reviews and tutorials online, I have yet to find if there is a way to make atem mini pro able to output the live stream and simultaneously live feed to a projector or to other monitor?

It's my understanding that you connect an internet cable to get the streaming and you can simultaneously live feed a projector or other monitor using the HDMI Out port.

MY Problem is I can't find a way to stream and output to a projector AND SEE THE MULTI-VIEW so I can actually see what I'm switching rather than switching blind. The single HDMI output can feed EITHER the program output OR the multi-view (switchable).....but I can't find a way to feed BOTH program out AND the multi-view.

What good is that unless you have fixed cameras so you always know in your mind what each will show....but if you have camera operators, as I do, it doesn't look like you can see what they're doing on multi-view AND feed program output to a projector. HUGE fail. Hope I've missed something.
That’s what the atem mini is designed for single “user” production for other mixing needs look at the atem television series (all offer some form of control panel - the hd and 4k versions having the atem control panel configuration) personally i like the versatility of the new atem mini pro but it’s more of a “streamer/home use” for events broadcast i’d suggest the atem television studio 4k as it offers great control over camera audio (converts all inputs to the project frame rate and resolution )

Daniel Leonforte

PostSun Jan 17, 2021 1:08 pm

Hi,

I run a Atem Production 4K Pro with Atem Software Control. All works fine, but recently I had a production, where I needed to switch backgrounds from media player source on the fly and preview different backgrounds. Is there a way to scale the backgrounds and perhaps blur them in atem software control? If not: maybe it could be added in a future software update. This way, people could preview faster on the fly and record a scaled image and add depth of field inside Atem Software and not over Photoshop. A live update feature of already imported photoshop elements would be a useful feature as well! And is there a software bridge between DaVinci and Atem Software Control planned as well?

Maybe the Dev-Team can add this in the near future.

Thanks! I love working with your products, keep up the good work!

Daniel from Eigenart Filmproduktion in Germany

Xtreemtec

PostMon Jan 18, 2021 11:46 am

Daniel Leonforte wrote:Hi,

I run a Atem Production 4K Pro with Atem Software Control. All works fine, but recently I had a production, where I needed to switch backgrounds from media player source on the fly and preview different backgrounds. Is there a way to scale the backgrounds and perhaps blur them in atem software control? If not: maybe it could be added in a future software update. This way, people could preview faster on the fly and record a scaled image and add depth of field inside Atem Software and not over Photoshop. A live update feature of already imported photoshop elements would be a useful feature as well! And is there a software bridge between DaVinci and Atem Software Control planned as well?

Maybe the Dev-Team can add this in the near future.

Thanks! I love working with your products, keep up the good work!

Daniel from Eigenart Filmproduktion in Germany

wrong topic! This topic is not to discuss new features. Its about Frequently asked questions!

Frank Engel

Re: Frequently Asked Questions - Atem Mixer

PostFri Mar 05, 2021 11:12 pm

Xtreemtec wrote:I do not have a Mac. So i need some guidance from somebody with a Mac to write this one out.

Setting a static IP configuration on a Mac:

• From the Apple menu on the menu bar, click System Preferences
  • Click Network
  • Select the appropriate interface in the list on the left side (ex. "Ethernet 1")
  • Next to "Configure IPv4", select "Manually".
  • Complete the "IP Address", "Subnet Mask" and "Router" fields with the appropriate values ("Router" replaces the "Default gateway" field mentioned in the instructions for Windows).
  • Click the "Apply" button for the settings to take effect

enague1

Atem Mini Pro Audio Issues

PostSun Mar 07, 2021 5:29 pm

Please can anyone help with the follow:

my current setup is:
Sound through an XLR cable from Midas M32R Live digital mixer to a sound card (focusrite scarlett 2i2 sound card) and then from the sound card to mic1 input of the atem mini pro and then streaming directly from the atem mini pro to youtube.

Problem:
The audio on youtube works well on a laptop but when you access the youtube stream on a phone, the only way you can hear the sound is if you use an earphone. When you take the earphone out, there is no sound at all. I'm quite confused and don't know what to do

Please can anyone help or also had this problem?

TinenTech

PostFri Sep 24, 2021 11:00 pm

How is the phone connected to YouTube? Is it connected to the same network (via WiFi) that you're streaming on, or is it using the 4G/5G network from the phone company?

I'm assuming the phone is NOT connected as an HDMI source to the ATEM?

Are you taking a stereo out of the Scarlett into the 1/8" TRS input of the ATEM? I'm not sure if that mic 1 input is balanced (+/-, so that common mode will phase cancel out) or if it sees a stereo source will treat it as L/R instead of +/-. (In any case, if your signal is stereo and the pan pots aren't all to the center, you'd hear the left-minus R signal.)

I have often run into issues where various cables don't "like" tip-ring-ring-sleeve connections on phones, the extra ring being for the headset's mic connection. Try pulling the plug out one "click" and see if it reappears.

--DT

ezitec

PostSun Sep 26, 2021 6:11 am

enague1 wrote:Please can anyone help with the follow:

my current setup is:
Sound through an XLR cable from Midas M32R Live digital mixer to a sound card (focusrite scarlett 2i2 sound card) and then from the sound card to mic1 input of the atem mini pro and then streaming directly from the atem mini pro to youtube.

Problem:
The audio on youtube works well on a laptop but when you access the youtube stream on a phone, the only way you can hear the sound is if you use an earphone. When you take the earphone out, there is no sound at all. I'm quite confused and don't know what to do

Please can anyone help or also had this problem?

Yes we had this same issue. I forget the right term but it has to do with using a banced or unbalaced cable. the ground inside the cable is likely going to the wrong pole. Once I got a new cable that was poled correctly it fixed this for us.

mttstntn

PostWed May 04, 2022 2:38 pm

Hello all,
I just wanted to confirm something. I have the Studio Pro HD and I haven't been able to get it connected to ATEM Software Control with USB. Ethernet, no problem but that's not always convenient since this switcher changes locations...some don't have internet capabilities others require manually adjusting IP addresses. I've gathered that you cannot interface with the control software any other way but am I missing something?

mftech

PostTue Jul 12, 2022 2:35 am

when I use the ATEM Mini as a camera feed for a Zoom webinar, there is a serious lag between the video and the audio. I think I can adjust this in the audio controls to add a delay but is this normal and can the ATEM be used reliably for webinars? do people do this?

roberto74

PostSun Jan 22, 2023 3:16 pm

Hi All!

I hope I am in a good place to ask my problem... (sorry for my english first!) So we are making prerecorded programs with my Atem mini pro, and it's happen 3-4 times in an hour when I am pushing the "CUT" button then the switcher is changing between the cameras only for 2 frames and back. So it look like really bad finally lik a flashing not camera changing...

What should be the problem, why the "CUT" button is so sensitive?

Many thanks for your response!

dscfish

PostTue Feb 21, 2023 3:07 am

I just purchased the ATEM Mini Extreme ISO. Going through a series of tests. Hooked up my Canon video camera through HDMI with no problem. But when I tried connecting my iPhone 13 via the lightning to HDMI dongle the picture comes out green through the switcher. Tried different inputs 1-8 with no luck. Used another iPhone and had same problem. Can't seem to find any comments with this problem. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Dave C

selcukkaraoglan

PostTue Feb 28, 2023 8:08 pm

Hi,

I have 4 HyperDeck Studio HD Plus with 4 Canon PTZ Cameras. I'd like to ask how can I start recording at the same time on all HyperDecks.

Thanks in advance.

Nelson Villamil

PostFri Apr 14, 2023 12:53 am

Hi

Setting Up ISO Recording with Hyperdecks

Step by Step

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... o/multicam

And check the Hyperdeck user manual

Return to Live Production