XLR White Noise

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

6Gearstudios

XLR White Noise

PostWed Oct 10, 2018 2:19 am

I have a ATEM TV Studio Pro. I was testing today and realized that once I turn on the xlr inputs, I'm getting a white noise.

There is nothing else plugged into the device and the noise only disappears once I turn off the xlr input (from sound and monitor bars).

Screen Shot 2018-10-09 at 10.14.12 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-10-09 at 10.14.12 PM.png (344.25 KiB) Viewed 7469 times

When I send sound to the xlr inputs, I can only hear the white noise.

The device is on the latest update and everything else works fine. I've send the audio in on a camera but this is not always practical.

Has anyone ever experienced this "problem" or am I missing something?

Thanks.

312elements

Re: XLR White Noise

PostSat Nov 24, 2018 7:10 am

Did you ever get this resolved? I'm having similar issues. A power cycle usually takes care of it, until the next time...
Michael Schacht
Currently using ATEM Television Studio HD to create awesome content

312elements

PostTue Nov 27, 2018 3:21 am

Interesting development tonight. I thought it was intermittent, but after some testing, I can force it to happen. It only happens after I clip the input. As in it happens as a response to overdriving the input and then wont recover until I power cycle the unit. Is this normal behavior?
Michael Schacht
Currently using ATEM Television Studio HD to create awesome content

AhmedB

PostWed Mar 11, 2020 4:05 am

Interested, I get the same problem: No XLR input! (Just noise)
I have a ATEM TV Studio Pro.

Solution, please.

thejohnpepe

PostThu Mar 26, 2020 4:17 pm

I'm also getting noise, whether I use the XLR inputs or run the sound through the camera. Almost like its boosting the floor noise to an absurd level. Anyone have a solution? I've contacted Blackmagic but haven't heard back yet.

aballard

PostWed Apr 01, 2020 8:56 pm

My ATEM TV HD started doing this after I recently updated it. Its really frustrating that we can't get a response or patch to fix this issue.

David Chadd

PostWed Apr 01, 2020 10:42 pm

6Gearstudios wrote:I have a ATEM TV Studio Pro. I was testing today and realized that once I turn on the xlr inputs, I'm getting a white noise.

There is nothing else plugged into the device and the noise only disappears once I turn off the xlr input (from sound and monitor bars).

Screen Shot 2018-10-09 at 10.14.12 PM.png

When I send sound to the xlr inputs, I can only hear the white noise.

The device is on the latest update and everything else works fine. I've send the audio in on a camera but this is not always practical.

Has anyone ever experienced this "problem" or am I missing something?

Thanks.

I've encountered this one sending too hot of a signal through the XLR inputs on the television studio hd. It appears to be some sort of protection circuitry being engaged but does not release when the signal gets to a normal level. Only way to return audio is to power cycle. You can easily reproduce this using an audio mixer and slowly raising the level till it happens. Seems like a flaw more than a feature.

Randall Chaves

PostWed May 20, 2020 4:34 am

Greetings from Costa Rica.

I have the same problem, I used my ATEM Television Studio HD normally and today when I turned it on, I had no audio on the XLR input, I turned it off and on again, just had white noise.

In order to transmit I had to connect the audio to a camera.

I see that this problem seems to have no solution for the user.

Could a group of switchers of a certain series be the faulty ones?

Will they replace them with the same model but newer or no longer manufacture them?

I bought the ATEM at the end of January this year :cry:

Thank you.

MambaFiber.com

PostWed May 20, 2020 4:45 pm

A few observations...

First, if you are seeing audio input with nothing connected to the XLR inputs, then something is wrong with your ATEM. If you see input/noise with an XLR plugged in, does it go away when you unplug the cable from the ATEM? If so your problem isn't in the ATEM, but further upstream. Grounding issues are common in analog audio and can cause what is described. Fixing this requires an inline isolation transformer like the Sescom IL-19, or correcting the ground fault which is usually related to where you have everything plugged into power. All audio/video devices should be powered from the same source.

Secondly, the issue of repeating this fault by too much input level. I'm not disputing what you guys report, but I cannot reproduce this on any of my ATEM units (1ME4k, 2ME, 2ME4k, 4ME4k-sorry I don't use TVS series products). I am inputting audio level of about +33dBM, the most I can get out of any of my audio gear, and the top of my test meter LOL. While this results in a highly distorted audio in the ATEM mixer, as soon as I reduce the level to normal the ATEM sounds fine. Can't say that I think this is any kind of "bug" but certainly makes me wonder what you guys are putting in :-)

BTW, my 2ME's are running v6.9, my 1ME4k v7.5.2, and my 2/4ME4k's are both running v8.2.2. Again, I don't see any extraneous noise, and am not losing any input audio.

I suggest those of you with this issue need to contact BMD support, I admit this could be an issue specific to the TVS series of ATEM. Wish I had one to test for you...
Greg Bellotte - owner
MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

evry___mmnt

PostSun May 31, 2020 12:41 am

Hello,

I really hope to God this helps someone because it took me forever to find this function.

so when plugging in XLR direct from your mixer to atem you will almost always get white noise due to the output being at line level and atem's port set at mic level.

However, there is a rather simple solution within ATEM software control.
click on the gear icon on the bottom left then click on "Audio" then "General" then change "Analog Audio Inpus" to "Line".

Boom now crank that volume up without any white noise.

hope this helps someone as i went completely insane over this.

changm

PostSat Aug 29, 2020 2:52 am

[update 9/14] BMD just got my unit in for RMA repair - so I'll update what they find

------------------------------------------

This happened to me just now
There was a high output on the XLR
And now there is whitenoise on the L XLR channel only without anything plugged into the XLRs
I power cycled 3 times already and even upgraded the firmware

This is really bad, is there anyway to reset the box to factory fresh?

The fix above doesn't work since there is no selection to change to Line level for XLR

Thanks
Mark

The manual does show the selection but in my control panel for the ATEM HD Studio 8.4 this selection does not exist
2020-08-31 10_15_57-xlr input selection - markckchang@gmail.com - Gmail.png
Latest manual
2020-08-31 10_15_57-xlr input selection - markckchang@gmail.com - Gmail.png (149.35 KiB) Viewed 5468 times

wxfreak

PostThu Oct 08, 2020 10:59 pm

aballard wrote:My ATEM TV HD started doing this after I recently updated it. Its really frustrating that we can't get a response or patch to fix this issue.

Did you try rolling back to earlier firmware? We are going to try that next.

aballard

PostTue Oct 27, 2020 4:05 am

wxfreak wrote:
aballard wrote:My ATEM TV HD started doing this after I recently updated it. Its really frustrating that we can't get a response or patch to fix this issue.

Did you try rolling back to earlier firmware? We are going to try that next.

Tried that and NOTHING works...BMD doesn't care because the mini/mini pro - are the focus for them going forward. I wouldn't have purchased this unit if I had known the XLR ports which is a major part of being sold on it would be defective for no freaking reason.

wxfreak

PostSat Nov 21, 2020 9:44 pm

We finally got rid of the problem with a workaround using a separate Audio to SDI mini converter.

Miguel Martinez

PostFri Dec 04, 2020 2:27 pm

Hi,
I have the same problem and from what I see that it is not my fault, SOMEONE HAS GOT TO SOLVE THE PROBLEM, SOMEONE OFFICIAL FROM BLACKMAGIC KNOWS HOW TO SOLVE IT ?, THANK YOU.

whitebr40

PostMon Apr 26, 2021 12:47 pm

I have had two different units have the same issue. Disconnecting the XLR and rebooting will get rid of the issue until the next time. I will have to test to see if clipping the input triggers the event. I've seen it happening after powering up the unit with the XLRs connected. There was nothing being fed into the mixer at that time to clip.

My work around was to feed audio from our board into a camera and connect to the switcher using SDI from a camera. That worked great at that time. Another option would be to take the output from your audio board and the output from ATEM switcher, run both into an audio embedder then out to record or stream. This will bypass the unit completely and surely solve the problem.

I am going to be checking back with support today to see if there is any updates on the issue moving forward. At this time the only instruction I was given was to roll back to firmware version 7.5.2. We did revert back to that version on a unit that is currently in production. The unit has been solid for about a month or so. The issue has happened twice in the last two weeks.

AlexanderDixon

PostSun Jul 11, 2021 4:10 pm

I've had this occur on one of our units this morning, which has been installed since February. Seems to be the same symptoms - the trigger today was a clipping input, a reboot solved the problem.

Anyone any insight on a permanent solution? Is it best I open a ticket with Blackmagic and take it from there?

Return to Live Production