POCKET 4K - Olympus 12-60mm 2.8/4.0 swd zoom lens

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

RachelFilmsThings

PostMon Dec 03, 2018 6:38 pm

Hello, everyone. I ordered my Pocket 4K and it's back ordered, like many of us on the forum.

I'm trying to figure out if the Olympus 12-60mm 2.8/4.0 swd zoom lens would work well with the Pocket 4K? Have any of you tried it on the older Pocket?

Robert Niessner

Re: POCKET 4K - Olympus 12-60mm 2.8/4.0 swd zoom lens

PostMon Dec 03, 2018 10:12 pm

I cannot comment on the 12-60, but I am using the Olympus 12-100 f/4.0 with the PCC4K, which I highly recommend. It is a really great combination with a very wide zoom range and one of two Olympus MFT lenses with OIS. And the OIS is really, really good.
So if you can live with f/4.0 I'd see it is the best native lens you can get ATM for the PCC4K.
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
--------------------------------
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

Denny Smith

Re: POCKET 4K - Olympus 12-60mm 2.8/4.0 swd zoom lens

PostMon Dec 03, 2018 10:37 pm

I agree with Robert, you would be better off with either the new Oly 12-100 or the Panasonic Leica 12-60, both of which are native MFT lenses with IS. Both are also reported to work with the new Pocket 4K touch to focus and auto focus.

The Oly 12-60 is not a MFT lens, it is an older, but very nice, Four Thirds lens, which will require a MFT adapter from Oly or Panasonic. This was basically a still photo Kit lens designed for the FT SLR cameras thst csme out before the MFT system. If you already have one, then use it. But if you are buying a new or used one, I would give it a miss, unless this is all yiur budget will allow. Also, the lens does not have IS and will not focus with the touch screen focus system. It may focus with the hard focus button. Not all FT lenses were compatible with the two adapters for use on MFT Cameras.

The early Olympus FT lenses were good optically as the FT cameras did I not auto correct for CA or distortion, so both are low on these lenses, which is one reason for using them. A better FT zoom, which does work well for video, is the Oly 14-35 f/2.0, which has a special and excellent IQ, with very cinematic look, smooth bokeh and nice highlight rolloff. It also has real direct coupled manual focus, not focus by wire like the 12-60, and well controlled breathing. And if your MFT Mount FFD is correct, it is parfocal.
Oly also made a companion lens, the 35-100 f/2.0

I have not used the Oly 12-60, but I do have the Oly 14-35 f/2.0. But these are expensive lenses, even used, and best used in manual mode. If you are looking to use all the auto features on the new Pocket 4K, like touch screen focus, and remote settings, you would be better off with the newer MFT native Zooms.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

rick.lang

PostTue Dec 04, 2018 2:34 am

Rachel,
Possibly f/4 may not sound appealing in the age of f/0.95 lenses, but the reality is those kinds of lenses are usually soft until you stop down to f/2. Now an f/2 lens may be what you prefer, especially if you intend to shoot at the native ISO 400, but the BMPCC4K is dual native ISO and the availability and practicality of shooting at ISO 3200. That breathes new life into a f/4 lens and the zoom likely performs very well wide open. Have a constant aperture over a long focal length is so convenient and would be your go-to lens. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by rick.lang on Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rick Lang

Return to Cinematography