Accessorising the Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

joe12south

Re: Accessorising the Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

PostFri Nov 23, 2018 3:40 pm

I know (I know, I know, I know) it's not the same thing and purists will slam me for suggesting this, but...

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... A514&smp=Y

80% of the anamorphic look for 180% less hassle.
Dedicated curmudgeon. Part-time artiste.

rick.lang

PostFri Nov 23, 2018 5:20 pm

Joe, who knows? That could be a useful tool if you embrace what it gives you. I suspect it might have a place when it suits the story. It’s not going to be an all-purpose solution though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

tillkrueger

PostFri Nov 23, 2018 10:31 pm

Thanks for that explanation, Rick. I got it. Kinda like those "macro filters" that screw into the front of the lens to change the minimum focal distance, right?

Joe, to me the "anamorphic look" was never about the lens flares and all those subtle cues that people associate with it. The only reason why I would go through the expense would be to achieve full vertical resolution of the sensor while stretching the horizontal resolution out over the width of the wider aspect ratio. So it's both about maximising quality *and* about the wider aspect-ratio, which really appeals to me. I know I can fake it by cropping it and up-sampling the footage, and nobody would notice the difference, save for the DIT types, but you know how it is when one has one's mind set on reaching for something "special".

rick.lang

Accessorising the Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

PostSat Nov 24, 2018 7:04 am

Well I think I’ve always been a naysayer about the value and importance of shooting with anamorphic lenses, especially if you are minding a limited budget. I was always just going to shoot in a widescreen window.

But now I feel a little differently. Having the combination of the Anamorphot and the PD Movie follow focus makes the use of adapters operationally feasible and relatively economical compared to anamorphic lenses. Of course it isn’t as good as shooting with real anamorphic lenses and it is a little more work and complexity, but I’ll try using it over the next few months and see if it becomes second nature to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Benjamin de Menil

PostTue Dec 04, 2018 1:06 am

Do any of the smallrig hoods work with the pocket 4K

Justin Jackson

PostTue Dec 04, 2018 8:12 am

Id like to know that too. My smallrig cage for my Atomos came with the velcro hood. I was hoping there would be something similar for the full cage they sell for the BM4K which I bought.
Custom DIY AMD1950x 16-core/32-thread, liquid cooled, 64GB 3600Mhz RAM, 950Pro-512GB NVMe os/apps, 2x500GB 850 Evo RAID 0 SATA3, Zotac 1070 8GB video, USB 3.1Gen2 RAID0 2x4TB, 2x2TB Crucial MX500 SSD SATA3.

Robert Baker

PostTue Dec 11, 2018 11:07 pm

Did you guys order your Smallrig cages from eBay or directly from the website? How long did it take until it was delivered?
Small List of my current toolset:

BMPCC6k - EVA1 - GH5 - Canon R - DaVinci Resolve Studio - Adobe CC - Sony Soundforge 11 - Izotope RX7 - Izotope Elements

Justin Jackson

PostWed Dec 12, 2018 4:49 am

Right from site.. took about a month..but then again it wasnt ready when I ordered it.. so not entirely sure how long actually. Cage is awesome with the only issue being no way to mount a hood to cover the screen.. but I suspect part of that is due to assuming without an articulating screen many will use a secondary monitor. I plan to as I have one I havent used since I bought it many years ago. Hopefully it still works!
Custom DIY AMD1950x 16-core/32-thread, liquid cooled, 64GB 3600Mhz RAM, 950Pro-512GB NVMe os/apps, 2x500GB 850 Evo RAID 0 SATA3, Zotac 1070 8GB video, USB 3.1Gen2 RAID0 2x4TB, 2x2TB Crucial MX500 SSD SATA3.

AndreeMarkefors

PostWed Dec 12, 2018 8:32 am

You guys with parts from SmallRig: did you order before everything said "Pre Order", or did you just order anyway?

I'm looking at all the various brands for maybe a half cage, but don't want to go with anything that doesn't have a delivery date.
Current camera: Canon R5C
Mac Pro 2019: 12c | Dual W6800X Duo | DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K + LG 55C8
MacBook Pro M3 Max 16" 16/40, 64GB

Dean Fisher

PostWed Dec 12, 2018 6:15 pm

AndreeMarkefors wrote:You guys with parts from SmallRig: did you order before everything said "Pre Order", or did you just order anyway?

I'm looking at all the various brands for maybe a half cage, but don't want to go with anything that doesn't have a delivery date.
I ordered the full Smallrig cage and a few accessories on October 8th as a "pre-order", and it released/shipped on November 9th. I'd imagine if you order now it'll be shipping immediately.

Denny Smith

PostWed Dec 12, 2018 6:22 pm

I ordered a camera cage as a pre-order from SmallRig also at the beginning of this month, have not heard anything back yet.
Cheers
Last edited by Denny Smith on Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Dean Fisher

PostWed Dec 12, 2018 7:36 pm

Denny Smith wrote:I ordered a camera cage as a pre-order from SmallRig also at rhe beginning of this month, have not heard anything back yet.
Cheers
Then consider me wrong!

Justin Jackson

PostWed Dec 12, 2018 9:57 pm

Same here.. ordered in October, got it in November.

Denny Smith

PostWed Dec 12, 2018 10:31 pm

Dean Fisher wrote:
Denny Smith wrote:I ordered a camera cage as a pre-order from SmallRig also at rhe beginning of this month, have not heard anything back yet.
Cheers
Then consider me wrong!

Dean, not necessarily so.... I ordered a different cage, for the Nikon Z camera (which is still in pre-order status), and as you said it took 30 days, so I have two weeks to go then. :roll:
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Denny Smith

PostWed Dec 12, 2018 10:38 pm

SmallRig has a USA based distributor who I have ordered from and got less than 1-week delivery.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Alastair Leith

PostThu Dec 13, 2018 9:42 am

Australian Image wrote:
I hope they’ll make a DAS before a NAS

I'm not holding my breath on the 2.5" NAS, no one seems to be interested. I did see a two bay storage once, but that's no longer available.

OWC ThunderBay 4 https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/thunderbay-4/thunderbolt-3

I own the previous TB2 version of this, which is 2.5" drives only using 2x TB2 ports. I have regular 2.5" HDDs in it but bought with a view to converting to 4xSSD when SSDs had dropped in price, which is getting there now :-) The current TB3/USB-C version houses both 3.5" and 2.5" (no adapters required). Consequently it's significantly larger dimensions than the 2.5" version I have. OWC seem to have discontinued the 2.5" ones.

Alastair Leith

PostThu Dec 13, 2018 9:53 am

Justin Jackson wrote: What I dont understand is why TB4, owned/leased by Intel, makes its way on to Mac long before PCs. I hate that AMD still does not have the ability to offer TB3!

It's because Apple collaborated with Intel on Thunderbolt standard right from the beginning of it, Apple saw the need. Love them or hate them, Apple have always be ready to jettison old standards for newer technologies if they think an emerging need for the newer technology is there. In this case they got involved in developing it and TB was first demoed on an cheese grater era MacPro with a custom PCI card IIRC.

Wayne Steven

PostThu Dec 13, 2018 1:14 pm

Aren't they ready to move onto a new technology. I remember looking up some interface information on some wiki pages and finding a post TB interface, or was that post pcie. But I think it was post TB.

This is the thing TB was supposed to go optical, and optical offers a much larger bandwidth, but all we got was TB to optical long haul cables. So, it is prime territory to introduce such a thing with or without TB. If one day we had hundreds or thousands of terabytes rather than ten of gigabits. I'm sure somebody out there will correct me, but I have a design in mind. As it is, we have long passed multiple terabits as a speed limit on long distance cables.

Anyway, that cheeky mhl 100gigabit over USB announcement years ago. People fell for that, but not even TB has released it's 100GB/s cable I want. Mhl just tying to draw marketing attention away from USB and TB.
aIf you are not truthfully progressive, maybe you shouldn't say anything
bTruthful side topics in-line with or related to, the discussion accepted
cOften people deceive themselves so much they do not understand, even when the truth is explained to them

Robert Baker

PostFri Dec 14, 2018 6:46 pm

AndreeMarkefors wrote:You guys with parts from SmallRig: did you order before everything said "Pre Order", or did you just order anyway?

I ordered the full sized cage from Amazon on Dec 12th and they said I should get it on the 19th.
Small List of my current toolset:

BMPCC6k - EVA1 - GH5 - Canon R - DaVinci Resolve Studio - Adobe CC - Sony Soundforge 11 - Izotope RX7 - Izotope Elements

dondidnod

PostThu May 27, 2021 2:57 pm

This thread is years old. Tillkrueger gives us no explanation of what he is linking to in the previous post. The subject is wrong. The link is broken.

Did I just install some malware by clicking on it?

EDIT The questionable post with only a bad link has been removed by May 28.
Last edited by dondidnod on Fri May 28, 2021 2:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

drknsss

PostThu May 27, 2021 4:05 pm

BTW: anyone bought or used the Nucleus Nano wireless follow focus?it was in every YT video about accessories for the P4K.

Alastair Leith

PostFri Jun 25, 2021 4:40 am

tillkrueger wrote: I came across the G|Drive ruggedised SSD, which was comparable in price (I paid $254 for the 1TB version, but it is currently back down to $241):

beware claims to ruggedised drives. Those LaCie orange rubber coated ruggedised drives were notoriously fragile compared to standard drives I've heard from more than once source.

Alastair Leith

PostFri Jun 25, 2021 4:47 am

tillkrueger wrote:Thanks for those links, Tristan!

the Blackmagic stuff is very cool for a studio environment, but not for work on the road.

the FirmTek is eSATA...not really useable in a Mac environment.

the OWC Mercury Elite Pro Dual mini is very cool, and something I might be looking at for the future...wish they made a 4-bay version of it!

the other OWC RAID enclosure is Firewire 800...also not really relevant anymore.

I have the four bay 2.5" thuderbay from OWC that has two TB2 sockets on it for I/O been around for ages. I only have HDD into it, but figured I'done day pick up SSDs for it. Of course there's TB 3/4 now so I'd probably just get a new housing if i was going to buy 4 new SSDs.
Previous

Return to Cinematography