Recommended Workflow For URSA Mini Pro 4.6K

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Jose Martinez

Recommended Workflow For URSA Mini Pro 4.6K

PostThu Dec 13, 2018 1:16 pm

Hey Everyone,

Well, I'm back at it again with the questions! I hope a more experienced user can provide insight. So my general question is:
1.) What are the OPTIMAL SETTINGS for coloring URSA Mini Pro 4.6K Footage in Resolve AS OF Resolve V 15.2.2.007

Okay, some background:
SOURCE MATERIAL:
    Footage Shot At 4.6K 24FPS BMRAW Q5 with 2.40:1 Aspect Ratio Guide

CURRENT PROJECT SETTINGS:

Master Settings:
    Timeline Res: 4608x1920 (For Full Readout of Sensor Width and 2.40:1 Crop)
    Playback Framerate: 24 fps

Image Scaling:
    Input Scaling: Scale Full Frame With Crop

Color Management:
    3_Color Management_P1.PNG
    3_Color Management_P1.PNG (64.07 KiB) Viewed 3020 times
    3_Color Management_P2.PNG
    3_Color Management_P2.PNG (58.11 KiB) Viewed 3020 times

Camera RAW:
    Raw Profile: Blackmagic RAW
    Decode Quality: Full Res.
    Decode Using: Camera Metadata

The problem I have is that the footage is using the V4 Color Science, yet Resolve doesn't have a "Blackmagic Design 4.6K Film V4" LUT for the ACES IDT or the Color Space Transorm OFX Plugin. Should I not be using this method (or any method that requires an input LUT) as it's not the proper LUT; therefore, wont provide accurate mappings for any color space I transform it into (in this case REC.709).

If this is the case, should I instead work in Resolve's YRGB Color Science Space (since ACES requires the IDT) and just grade the RAW footage without any LUTs being applied whatsoever, as in how my current timeline is set up
(but this timeline IS using Ursa 4.6K Film v3 as IDT and REC.709 as ODT in Project Settings)
Normal Workflow_Downsized.png
Normal Workflow_Downsized.png (939.92 KiB) Viewed 3020 times

Just wondering as I can't really use LUTs that are made for a specific color space if I can't use the Color Space Transform plugin, so grading Blackmagic Footage like in
Jaun Melara's:

examples won't be the best option at the moment if I correctly understand that the V3 and *V4 Color Science are different and the V3 LUT shouldn't be used in place for the yet to be implemented V4 LUT.

samroden

Re: Recommended Workflow For URSA Mini Pro 4.6K

PostMon Jan 07, 2019 6:05 pm

I second this exact same question. Whether is Aces, RCM or Color Space Transform, what are we supposed to put as our input if we are using color science 4 (from the UMP)?

Jean Claude

Re: Recommended Workflow For URSA Mini Pro 4.6K

PostMon Jan 07, 2019 6:23 pm

If the clip is a (BM)RAW, it may be a good idea to open the Camera Raw panel in the Color tab.

There are many, many parameters that can influence how the RAW will be interpreted ... :)
"Saying it is good, but doing it is better! "
Win10-1809 | Resolve Studio V16.1 | Fusion Studio V16.1 | Decklink 4K Extreme 6G | RTX 2080Ti 431.86 NSD driver! |

Return to DaVinci Resolve