ronin s Bmpcc4k smallrig 18-35

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Iain Titterington

ronin s Bmpcc4k smallrig 18-35

PostWed Dec 19, 2018 2:05 am

Has anyone managed to balance the Bmpcc4k with the smallrig cage, smallrig ssd holder hdmi clamp metabones and sigma 18-35? Even with 300g of weights on the opposite side to the ssd holder I can't get it to work. There's a guy on youtube who seems to get it to work with the crane 2 but its not a 18-35. It's a heavy lens - is that my main problem?

Cooper

Re: ronin s Bmpcc4k smallrig 18-35

PostWed Dec 19, 2018 5:01 pm

I would say the problem is the cage+ssd cage+t5 hanging on top the left side of the already left side heavy camera+wires+connectors+clamp. On the video the large weight is like ~2cm off the cage to the right and slightly above the camera, with the attachment arm adding more weight there. Far better position for the t5 holder would have been on the right side, heck even below the camera, for balance at least.
Last edited by Cooper on Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fornez

PostWed Dec 19, 2018 7:03 pm

the BMPCC4K cannot be balanced with the full sized smallrig cage. I ordered the half cage a few weeks ago because I can balance the camera when it can slide closer to the gimbal

TristanC

PostFri Dec 21, 2018 8:49 pm

I have that exact setup and couldn’t balance it. I got really close when I took the t5 holder and drive out of the equation, and removed my top handle. I think it will work that way if I shoot to cards when in the gimbal, but it rolls slightly to camera left when the gimbal is off.

TristanC

PostMon Dec 31, 2018 6:34 pm

I posted about this on a Facebook forum and was told it was possible to balance in the cage if you use counterweights. They recommended these [url]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H4NCX57/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
[/url]

They seem to be the most reasonably priced after a quick search, so I ordered a set and am awaiting delivery. I'll post and let you know if it works.

Fornez

PostMon Dec 31, 2018 8:08 pm

TristanC wrote:I posted about this on a Facebook forum and was told it was possible to balance in the cage if you use counterweights. They recommended these [url]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H4NCX57/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
[/url]

They seem to be the most reasonably priced after a quick search, so I ordered a set and am awaiting delivery. I'll post and let you know if it works.

let us know how that works, I feel like it would be better to mount the waits to the cage instead of on the ronin

JonathanDear

PostMon Dec 31, 2018 10:13 pm

Smallrig also have some new counterweights for the ronin-s on their website the same as above.
I ordered a set but I can balance fine with my 8sinn half cage and ssd holder / cable etc. if I use a dummy lpe6 it’s too left heavy as it’s lighter than a battery in there.

TristanC

PostWed Feb 06, 2019 6:26 pm

following up, I did get things balanced (without the SSD recorder), but those counterweights I linked to were waaaaaaaay too small to do much at all. I had to use them, plus another counterweight set of heavier weights. Only afterwards did I see that smallrig made a set of 100g and 200g counterweights, which would have been much better.

I also got the Tilta Nucleous Nano, which then threw off the weight again. I'm in the process of figuring out how to add a rail clamp to the top left (camera left) instead of the rail set I have attached to the base of the camera. That should help off set some weight for balancing, too.

Still a work in progress...

Return to Cinematography